How or why did your parents choose your name?

Judgmentalist

Oct 31, 2010
I don't know about you sods, but I was named after a type of freaking Greek column.
I hope your name stories are better than mine.

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
I was named after my grandfather. Tom. Well thats the short Thomas really. It's a sucky name I'm going to change it in afew years.

Merkavar

Aug 21, 2010
my first and 2nd anems are my grandpas name

Edit lol i spelt names so badly then

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Because they were lazy and chose a name that could be applied to a boy or a girl depending on what I came out as.

By the way parents. I would much rather have been called Artemis than Sam! I am so sending that back on a note by 21 years when we invent time travel.

Lacsapix

Apr 16, 2010
My name can be pronounced in all languages, and I have family all over the globe.

TriGGeR_HaPPy

Another Regular. ^_^
May 22, 2008
First name is Richard (though I much prefer Ricky. A lot of my friends are still surprised to hear that my first name is actually Richard, since no one really uses it, including me). Apparently, they named me after Richard the Lionheart. Which is pretty cool, I guess. :p

I can't remember how they got my middle name...

Spade Lead

Nov 9, 2009
I was named after Joshua Chamberlain of the 20th Maine. (Many attribute the Northern victory at Gettysburg to him, and my Mom loves Civil War history. )

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
My old man is an eccentric sort, so all my and my siblings' names have some sort of Anglo-Saxon/proto-Germanic etymology, relating to positive physical or personality traits.

And he basically did the same with our Chinese names too. I don't know the true meaning of my siblings' names, but mine was to do with scholarship...

kypsilon

May 16, 2010
My mother wanted Matthew, my father wanted Michael. My mom won. And history will remember me as such. Time will tell whether I remain as such or whether I choose to deviate.

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
First name is Raymond, (I go by Andy to avoid Everybody Loves Raymond jokes, people make them anyway the bastards) I was named after my great grandfather on my mom's side. I never met him (at least not that I can remember) but from what i've heard he was a cool dude. He worked on a buffalo ranch if I remember correctly, we went there once and one of the buffalo was chewing on a Barbie dolls hair. Funny stuff.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
Both me (Jonathan) and my brother's (Matthew) names mean "Gift of God".

My parents are nowhere near religious but it sounded nice.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
My dad wanted to name a girl "Gemma" so he could say "my little Gem" and he still does to this day. I got my middle name because my mother saw a bottle of perfume called "Chloe" and she didn't know how to pronounce it, so she went home to my dad and apparently a conversation that went something like this occured:

Mum: "What does C-H-L-O-E spell?"

Dad: "Chloe"

Mum: "That will be her middle name"

So there you go. Gemma Chloe. I don't mind my name, even though people are usually surprised by my middle name, though I have no idea why.

CAPTCHA: Pat Owneck. At least this captcha was legible unlike the previous ones I have had.

exarkunsith

Jan 12, 2010
They needed a name for the death certificate, first name they came up with.

Doctors said i wasn't going to make it past 12 hours.

Showed them.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
I was named after my Grandfather's sister who had passed away the year before I was born. The creepy thing is, after looking at pictures of her, she looks just like me, which was odd because none of my other sisters look like either of us.

UltraDeth

Nov 2, 2010
My parents had difficulty choosing a name for me. They found my name in a book (It's Glen)

Friendshipandmagic

May 13, 2011
Palademon said:
Both me (Jonathan) and my brother's (Matthew) names mean "Gift of God".

My parents are nowhere near religious but it sounded nice.
Mine is "Honoring God", I ended up the non religious black sheep of the family.

camsha

Dec 8, 2010
it's because your names sounds sorta backwards like it should be chole gemma (insert last name here)
by the way your name is very cool :D

aether-x3

Jul 15, 2010
I dont know why they chose my first name, Megan (I like to joke that I was named after Megane(That one Car company)) Though they used Deborah as my middle name because my Aunt Deborah couldnt be one of my God Mothers because she wasn't Catholic.