How or why did your parents choose your name?

riprino

Jan 5, 2011
the doctors at the hospital I was born thought I was going to be a girl so my parents had a female name picked out so when i came along everyone was stumped on what to call me so i ended up with the generic name of Dylan.

LackingSanity

Apr 15, 2009
Well, for a while, my parents were going to name me Axel, since it was a family name on both sides. This changed after they got comments like "Good name for a truck driver" and "Oh, like Axl Rose?". In the end, I think they just went with something that they liked.

Cogwheel

Apr 3, 2010
Named after my great grandfather on my father's side, I believe. Also had kanji assigned to the name since I'm in Japan and all. The kanji basically just sounds the same, and means "fire hawk" or something to that effect. Not feeling like a good translator at the moment. So basically, my name is either pretty normal-sounding (if semi-rare), or ludicrously over the top.

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
Josh = My brother's middle name. He was killed in a car crash involving a drunk driver before I was born. (also why I get irritated when people call be Joshua even when I sign with Josh)

Nicholas = For Santa (St. Nicholas) because I was born close to Christmas.

LoFr3Eq

Oct 15, 2008
Stevie Wonder was popular in the 80s. I'm very white BTW.

But I don't mind, his music is awesome.

4RM3D

May 10, 2011
Named after a famous knight. His (and my) name means conquerer of the land.

Canned Spam

Feb 28, 2011
They picked my first name for no reason other than they liked it. My middle name is from, Matt Busby, since he died the year I was born and my dad is a Man U fan.

Embz

Pony Wrangler
Mar 17, 2010
I'm a twin and my parents assumed that they would be having a boy and a girl. Turns out that we were two girls so I got stuck with what was going to be my sisters middle name lol.

Amadeus10

Jun 4, 2011
I was named after Kyle Reece in the Terminator movies...
Kyle Reece are my first and middle names.

Fwee

Sep 23, 2009
My parents were on their third kid and they're pretty unimaginative, although I came up with a good riddle to make up for it:

"My name? It takes half a year to say,
and lo! It begins with the last J."

So guess my name and I'll give the winner my middle name, unless I think up a different riddle for that one as well. If that's the case I'll gift the winner with my AWESOME LAST NAME!!!

MartianWarMachine

Neon-pink cyber-kitty
Dec 10, 2010
I don't know how my parents came up with my name, but I can tell you that they did NOT get it from watching Indiana Jones and Star Wars. >_>

Jeff Loper

Feb 15, 2010
I was named for Jeffery Thomas Wilson, whom passed away as an infant in the 1950's. He would have been my uncle on my mother's side.

LongAndShort

I'm pretty good. Yourself?
May 11, 2009
First name, Thomas, they just liked. That's it.

Middle name, William, is sorta the first name of both my Grandfathers.

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
Not sure. You know,....I never really asked. But I have noticed something about the names of the women in my family.
Tell me if you notice what it is.

Herminia
Sylvia
Manuela
Sandra (2)
Trina
Julia
Lisa
Marella
Vanessa

Tonimata

Jul 21, 2008
I'm named after my dad. Translated to english, it would be Anthony Vincent. Of course, being Spanish that means I also get 2 surnames. I swear to God it gets annoying having to write my name on all my exam papers

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
I was named after my mother's uncle, my cousin and a good friend of the family. That's basically it.