How or why did your parents choose your name?

Vault Girl

Apr 17, 2010
Judgmentalist said:
I don't know about you sods, but I was named after a type of freaking Greek column.
I hope your name stories are better than mine.
My names Samantha and i was named after the Witch in Bewitched. :(

I guess it's better than my sister, she was named after my mum liked the name Kerry, in the advert for Kerry Gold Butter.

Cleariously

Mar 25, 2011
Ieuan, and my middle name is Evan. I was named after the welsh rugby player Ieuan Evans. I quite like my name, even if noone else can pronounce it or spell it properly.

Stone Golem

Jul 20, 2009
First Name: Neil

aparently its means champion acording to my parents

Off Topic: What the hell is with captcha today? its throwing jibberish at me

GWarface

Jun 3, 2010
They were going for Mick, but chose Mads instead..

Bugs me alittle since Mick is a pretty cool name.. But it would make my whole name rhyme with something like "Dick Weewee" but in danish..
So somehow im pretty glad they didnt.. :p

sexbutler

Nov 18, 2010
My dads favourite author, Zane Grey. But my mum refused to let that shit fly, so she talked him down to 'Shane'.

Betancore

Apr 23, 2010
My name's Kathryn, and apparently my mother looked in the back of the dictionary for my name. Kathryn apparently is derived from the Greek word 'kathris' meaning 'pure,' and my mother thought that was a lovely meaning. So now I'm stuck with the most obtuse spelling of a common name (except Cathryn - that's even more difficult to spell) and she literally just picked it out the back of the dictionary. Charming. The siblings that followed my birth all got named after someone famous, but my mum picked something that she hoped would define my sexual history for the remainder of all time.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
I got my name (Taavi) from a book my mother really liked. One of the main characters was named that.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
my name is Phillipp which is not that unusual and i only know my mom picked it since my dad got to pick my sisters name.
Whats unique about it is the spelling, there are three people in Germany with the same spelling and no one with that spelling and the same last name. My mom insist to this day that she thought it was the only possible spelling at the time. Then again the nurse apparently shoved the form into her face 5min after i was born because it was lunchtime.

MorsePacific

Nov 5, 2008
First name is Kenneth, which is Gaelic and I'm a good 2% Irish, so that doesn't make much sense. I'm technically named after my father, but I try not to associate with him. Middle name is Joseph, apparently because my mom had an uncle named Joey who died as a kid.

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
Judgmentalist said:
I don't know about you sods, but I was named after a type of freaking Greek column.
I hope your name stories are better than mine.
Name derived from my deceased gramps, but then they changed it to make it more 'Israeli', but then it became a two letter name, so they made a hybrid that because of it I'm constatntly thought as a British immigrant.
IT NEVER STOPS.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
They assumed I was going to be a girl, but luckily enough for them, it can be a guys name too.

Never knew where they came up with my middle name Douglas though... That's just not a good name in any way.

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
My first name was just picked from a list of names in a book. But they choose an uncommon way to spell it so everyone gets it wrong.
My middle name is my dad's first name.

Nimzar

Nov 30, 2009
My name has a suffix... I'm the 3rd person in my family to bear my name.

iseko

Dec 4, 2008
My parents wanted to name me after a famous painter. First they wanted to call me Jan. But with my last name that wasn't such a good idea. Any guesses why? :p

Instead they named me vincent after Van gogh

Dapsen

Nov 9, 2008
Named after a boyfriend my mum had when she was 19. He was 15 at the time, so it made an odd couple. Apparently she really liked the guy..
My dad never knew why my name is Kasper, though. Also, I was originally spelled with a C.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
I'm assuming with the name Angel it's kinda obvious what I was named after. As for WHY I was named after important figures in religious mythology is beyond me when my parents are the least religious people I've ever met.

IdiotHeart

Jun 7, 2010
Fwee said:
"My name? It takes half a year to say,
and lo! It begins with the last J."
June maybe? I would say July but that doesn't sound too common. My train of though could just be on a strange tangent, for that matter.

OT: Well, they didn't. My gran suggested that she liked the ring of my mother's school nickname (Mitch) about five minutes before I was born and it stuck. In retrospect, that could have gone very badly.

MetalBuddhist

Aug 24, 2010
I wasn't really named by my parents, but by my grandmother - no-one had any idea what to call me, until she pointed out that she was reading a book about Alexander the Great...

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
My first name was the name of my dads best childhood friend. Second name no idea.