How the hell do you know when you're being flirted with?

A.K.B.

Feb 27, 2014
make a strong eye-contact with that girl, if she breaks it with a hint of shyness ( a laugh or a joke spoken with a high pitched tone, squinting down with a smile ) then maybe you've got a chance, or if she does so showing a sign of irritation than it means you didn't have any in the first place...
and if_ god forbids _ she acted completely oblivious or indifferent to your act, then you should forget about the entire thing and cry yourself to sleep at night ...
I'm no expert though~

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
What I've gathered from this thread, is that nearly everyone is in the same boat.
Most people here would seem to have trouble picking up on flirtatiousness directed towards them.

Which raises the obvious question: Why all the subterfuge and mind games? Why not just be upfront and straight with people?

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
TopazFusion said:
Eamar said:
When people start taking an unnecessary amount of interest in you/your hobbies/your situation without any other obvious reason to do so. Basically when they start making excuses to talk to you.
Ah, in that case, I've ... never been flirted with.

Seriously, with me, it's the opposite to what you've described.
People tend to avoid talking to me where possible, and they usually excuse themselves fairly quickly if I try to strike up a conversation.
Would you really call that flirting though? It's definitely how some people act around people they're crushing on, but flirting tends to involve talking to or at least being around the object of your affections. Actively trying to get them to notice/like you.

EDIT: I think this quote from Wikipedia sums up my impression of flirting:

Flirting usually involves speaking and behaving in a way that suggests a mildly greater intimacy than the actual relationship between the parties would justify

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
I would never know. It seems more likely that nobody would, but I know I'd never be able to tell. In all aspects of social interaction, it always annoyed me that everything is codes and symbols. Never straight forward, never simple, always confusing as they can possibly make it.

The worst thing is that people say "Just ask" like there's no consequences if she says no. She'll hate me for having feelings towards her that she doesn't share. My other female friends will hate me for being some kind of creep. My male friends will hate me for failing to do what they do so easily. There's always consequences.

Cerebrawl

Feb 19, 2014
Spoonius said:
I'm not referring to blatant hitting (eg. "nice legs, what time do they open?"), but to the subtler clues that occur on a more regular basis. Vocalisation, language, stance, gestures, facial expressions, nervous tics, etc.

I'm evidently missing some key factor that's obvious to almost everyone else. I'm absolutely useless at "hit detection" and reading "expert" advice hasn't helped. I'd rather ask regular people about their own experiences.

So how do you recognise that someone's interested? How do you yourself flirt? Have you ever been clueless yourself?
I recognize myself in this, but it's because I'm an aspie, you may be on the autism spectrum yourself, or just regularly clueless man, but this lack of being able to read people fits asperger's to a tee. Good news is that it's trainable, if you pay attention you'll eventually learn it intellectually.

Seydaman

Nov 21, 2008
I am fairly sure I have almost never been the target of anyone's affection, well, maybe one person, so I might not be much help

Maybe getting closer, wanting to do stuff alone, sharing more personal details, being suggestive in some way

william12123

Oct 22, 2008
Well, never been flirted with as far as I can tell. But I aint perceptive to those things. Though the "sexplanations" video mentionned higher is quite nice, discovered the channel a while ago.

Yuno Gasai

Queen of Yandere
Nov 6, 2010
IceForce said:
Which raises the obvious question: Why all the subterfuge and mind games? Why not just be upfront and straight with people?
If I had to hazard a guess, I'd say because it's too close to confrontation.

Admitting your feelings for someone outright is terrifying. It's better to test the waters before you actually take the plunge. Or at least, that's the way people seem to think. What they don't account for the other party being oblivious to their advances.

With me, it's not that I can't tell when people are flirting with me - it's more that I struggle to accept it. Self-esteem issues and a fear of rejection work in tandem to destroy my ability to act on the feeling that someone's interested in me.

I eventually get fed up and just brute force my way into an answer by confessing to them first (if I like them, that is). Dx

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
The majority of people in thise thread are me ina nutschell.
To answer the question: No frickin' clue :p
I know I've been hit on a few times, I was very drunk, she was very drunk, we clung to eachother like... something thang clings very hard onto something...
Anything less subtle than that :/

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
About the only time I get flirted with is from other guys while I'm out raving, which is a shame because I'm straight.

Drunk and/or people rolling aren't too subtle, one big fat guy even hugged me and said "I love you". I met him about 30 seconds prior. Another guy came up to me while I was dancing, stopped me, looked me in the eyes and when I thought he was going for a kiss (which I would have stopped) instead went to the whistle around my neck and blew it. Being a bit of a germophobe, I threw it out after.

The only time when I've noticed a female flirting with me is when she slapped me on the ass. That was many, many years ago.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
I have no idea whatsoever. I usually assume people are joking. Now that I think about it, I suppose it could have been happening for years.

Oh dear. I hope I haven't inadvertently been causing somebody a steadily mounting level of emotional distress all this time. :/

Amethyst Wind

Apr 1, 2009
Spoonius said:
I'm not referring to blatant hitting (eg. "nice legs, what time do they open?"), but to the subtler clues that occur on a more regular basis. Vocalisation, language, stance, gestures, facial expressions, nervous tics, etc.

I'm evidently missing some key factor that's obvious to almost everyone else. I'm absolutely useless at "hit detection" and reading "expert" advice hasn't helped. I'd rather ask regular people about their own experiences.

So how do you recognise that someone's interested? How do you yourself flirt? Have you ever been clueless yourself?
Damn it, Alex. Next time I you you've got nice legs, just take the damn compliment!

On topic: It's been a good while since I haven't been hit on by somebody who was utterly inebriated, so I had the problem of being VERY aware that I was being hit on, but not wanting anything to do with the whole situation.

freakonaleash

Wheat field gazer
Jan 3, 2009
This is for a guy: if she is doing something to you that would be weird if a guy did it, it is most likely flirting. Also, if she bites her lips, touches her hair or touches you in ANY WAY...prob flirting.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
I wouldn't know anything about that. But at least it's mutual, right? You fail to pick up on their signal and both parties lose.

HoneyVision

Jan 4, 2013
I think the best answer to this question would be "Who cares?". If someone is interested they should just say it. Flirting is cute for about 7 seconds and then it becomes cowardly and quite boring.

Riot3000

Oct 7, 2013
I don't know anything about flirting so I either have been flirted with and never noticed it or I am just that dense. Its funny I remember this one forum was getting all pretentious about people not knowing when they are being flirted with I mean come "she smiles" I would be narcissist if I assume every women that smiled at me was flirting, "laughing at your jokes" so is everyone else at the table, "engaged in conversation with you" so women are only good conversationalist if they like the guy? LOL see where I am going with this.

Honestly I remember some made a good point about guys who are not good at the whole signal thing if given two options the guy who can't read signals or the "creep" that misinterprets them you rather be the first.

inactive123

Feb 6, 2014
Elfgore said:
I'm in the same boat as many other guys here. I wish girls were a little more outgoing with their feelings, especially towards us beta males. But I bet some girls think the same thing, so I can't really talk.
As a girl I can say that yes some of us do think the same thing. I think it can be a problem from both genders, not being open enough with our feelings. Guys can be subtle too sometimes.

The only reason I knew that my current partner was initially interested in me was because he literally drunk texted it to me. Before that I assumed he was just being friendly.

Yuno Gasai said:
With me, it's not that I can't tell when people are flirting with me - it's more that I struggle to accept it. Self-esteem issues and a fear of rejection work in tandem to destroy my ability to act on the feeling that someone's interested in me.
I have this same issue. Even if I suspect that someone is interested I normally put it down to me over-thinking something they said or did and not believing it. I'll shoot down my suspicion by questioning why someone would ever be interested in me in the first place. Not exactly a healthy mind-set but one that is now thankfully irrelevant as I am in a happily committed relationship and even if someone was interested in me I would prefer not to know.