How to destroy an anthill?

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
The Diabolical Biz said:
To fight the ant, you must...

Become the ant.

So yeah, get an ant costume and go become one of them. Pose yourself as the last survivor of a different clan, lost and confused, starving, close to death. Point out your prodigious size as a useful point about you, and pledge eternal service to the hive. Hopefully they won't view you as a potential threat to the hive, or an ant assassin or something, and you can settle down to becoming one of them. A few weeks in, due to your exceptional work rate (you are a human after all), you will likely get promoted. Keep this up, and let your guard slip for not an instant.

In time, you will be raised to high commander of the ant hive (you will likely outlive most of the other commanders, and so can start to change history about how you are a legendary commander). During this time, secretly spread dissatisfaction within the ant workers. Start up trade unions under a guise, and make the workers aware of the communist manifesto. Let this corruption spread through the ranks of the ants, and bit by bit let yourself become known as a supporter of this movement to the now die-hard core section of fanatics.

Eventually, you will have recruited enough to your cause to strike! Declare the Queen a cruel autocrat, and lead your revolution! With your extensive access to the records of the hive, you should be able to eliminate the Queen's last supporters, and you can then behead the Queen with a tiny guillotine in front of the cheering masses!

You now have an army of ants at your behest! Invade the other hives, not unlike Russia in the 20th century, and build up a ring of Hives under your control. Force the Queens who don't want to die into serving you and introduce a strict indoctrination system with new baby ant grubs. You can become the leader of the Ant race for miles around, and do whatever you want.

The world, my friend, will be your Oyster.
That entire post remind me of the 4chan version:

Other then that I'm copying your entire post.

Aabglov

Jul 28, 2009
Anthills are deceptively deep. A small hill can have dozens of feet of underground tunnel systems making it difficult to destroy the entire colony. I recommend water since it will be sure to destroy the colony entirely instead of just the cap. Get your water hose and leave it on for an hour or two pouring water into the entrance of the ant mound. It may not be the greenest solution to waste water and it may increase your bill this month, but it's really the only way to be sure you get them all.

blipblop

May 21, 2009
T8B95 said:
I need help guys.

There is a massive anthill in my backyard, and I need to destroy it. It's about three feet across. I need new suggestions.

We've already tried hot water, soapy hot water, cold water, vinegar, Javex, and Raid. None of them worked. I really don't want to dig up a massive hole in my backyard, but I'm getting desperate. They. Must. Die.
This method will kill of all ants and and you dont get the problem that the antz might move closer to the house if you use poison.
Take an iron rod (dont know the name on it in english but its like an massiv iron spear that you use to move stones and stuff whit) and stick it deep in the center of the anthill but still so a bit of the ironrod sticks up from it. then wait for winter and the ironrod will freez and lead down the cold and kill of all antz.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Andronicus said:
Have you tried convincing them to leave? All this violence gets nobody amywhere; open negotiations with the ants, and try to understand the issue from their point of view. Dressing up as an ant may help as well.
It's been tried.... [http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/AntAgonizer]

Anyway. Boric acid is a safe and effective (though somewhat slow) way to be rid of ants. A quick Internet search brings me this information [http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20070428160448AAsWYbn], which seems pretty solid and useful to me. I say give it a go.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
A mild poison.
Tasty poison.
Ants eat and brings some of it to the queen.
Queens gets fed by her drones.
Queen dies, and eventually, the entire hive will die with her.

mitchell271

Sep 3, 2010
T8B95 said:
I need help guys.

There is a massive anthill in my backyard, and I need to destroy it. It's about three feet across. I need new suggestions.

We've already tried hot water, soapy hot water, cold water, vinegar, Javex, and Raid. None of them worked. I really don't want to dig up a massive hole in my backyard, but I'm getting desperate. They. Must. Die.
i'm only quoting you to get your attention

i had a similar problem. mine was about 2 ft. wide and out of curiosity, i dug it up after we got rid of them and it went down something like 5 feet.

anyways, this works well: icing sugar and baking soda/powder (i don't remember which). the ants will think they're the same and when ants eat the baking soda/powder, they explode.

if THAT doesn't work, just cover the top with cement and remove after a year

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
Boiling cement? Seeing what you've already tried I can't suggest anything that could be more helpful except for the common one. Fire.

Quaidis

Jun 1, 2008
You sure that's an ant hill...? It's in a line and 3 ft across? Or is it just a large line of mounds with ants over them?

I'm just saying... Moles and voles (as well as other burrowing mammals) will make very similar holes and mounds. They'll dig the fuck out of your yard. If you're using Raid and other products without success, you sure it's the ants and not some random mammal screwing your day?

There are also, depending on where you live, Cicada Killers - which are a monster-sized wasp that makes burrows. They leave during the day and by the time they come back the spray or whatever may have already sunken deep into the ground, or they could have found some alternative entrance.

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
Bucket of water and 3 cups of salt, repeat treatment once a day for a week till the product is completely soaked. Also if you can dig it up and find the queen and kill it, they will die or disappear soon (Unless they behave differently than my local ants)

Also, if you can burning it is nice and effective way...

Jakub324

Jan 23, 2011
Versago said:
Exterminatus.

Alternatively I've heard of pouring boiling water/ poison.
You're probably better off googling it.
What about boiling poison? That'll really fuck them over.

MaVeN1337

Feb 19, 2009
You need to smoke next to the ant hill for 12 years giving all the ants cancer from second hand smoke.

Crazy_Dude

Nov 3, 2010
Hashime said:
Well, you can kill them with poison foam. Dish soap + water + alkaline material (NaOH, found in drain cleaner) pour the foam into all the entrances and watch them dissolve.
I second this.

Though burning them with petroleum would also work. So many possibilities be creative.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Old school: Diazinon or another organophosphate insecticide.

New school: Pyrethrin or another pyrethroid insecticide with piperonyl butoxide synergist. Kills lots of things smaller than a human. So I hope you don't have plants in need of bees, or any cats, or small dogs. Especially cats.

Whatever insecticide you're looking for, check stores that specialize in gardens (your normal Walmart garden centre probably won't have stuff with that much kick). Failing that, find a place that specializes in horse care [http://www.farnamhorse.com/product.php?type=HORSE&mainkey=200005&pid=100016&key=300002] (tack shop or vet pharmacy) and check out their insecticides.