How to Talk About Games #1

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
It's a good start, that's for sure! Hopefully we'll be seeing something on angry gamers without any real cause. The sort who launch into a frenzy whenever they seen an opinion they don't like. I hate to say it but those people are often the ones supported in the first part. The ones who construct arguments. Not to say you shouldn't construct thoughtful arguments! You should! But some people kinda take it too far.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Gasbandit said:
Bindal said:
Deathfish15 said:
What has Valve made that's full of pubes and broken shards of glass?
Personally, I would say "Left 4 Dead 2"...
Whaaaaa? 2 was a technical improvement on 1 in almost every field. Yeah, I prefer the L4D1 characters, too, but come on, that doesn't make the whole game suck.
No, not only (but they are also one reason). But what makes the game suck are the bugs, the countless weaponspawns per map, the easy gameplay, the dumber AI, the nerfed Special Infected, the shorter maps, the overpowered melee-weapons, the bright and more colorful lightning, the unfair scoring in Versus, the horrible weapon-FoV and bad animations,...

I can count the actual improvements from the sequel at one hand:
1 - Scavenge Finales (not the seperate mode)
2 - Gauntlets
3 - Grenade Launcher

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
IceForce said:
Thanks for this bit. It'll fit nicely into quite a few of the gaming threads we get here.

Absolutely. I think I lost it with the "..from Metacritic's heart, I stab at thee..!" part.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
That's not fair to Gearbox. They also did a competent Halo port... ten years ago.

P.S. Thanks

Bodyless

Dec 12, 2009
Gasbandit said:
Bindal said:
Deathfish15 said:
What has Valve made that's full of pubes and broken shards of glass?
Personally, I would say "Left 4 Dead 2"...
Whaaaaa? 2 was a technical improvement on 1 in almost every field. Yeah, I prefer the L4D1 characters, too, but come on, that doesn't make the whole game suck.
Beside the characters, the level design was also awful. To be more specific: they reduced the gameplay to a run & gun style that was extremly exhausting and had exactly 0% horror in it.
I got tired of it quckly and then they made an half-##### attemp to port the L4D1 campaigns over.
I could forgive that they didnt make new voice overs for the new items and special infected, but weapons clipping through hands and the broken elevator dialog in No mercy campaign made L4D2 look even more rushed and unpolished.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Preaching to the choir, but necessary nonetheless. *grimface*

canadamus_prime said:
"...most gamers lack the basic cognitive toolset..."
That's putting it mildly.
But then again, that can be said about almost anyone. :)

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
GundamSentinel said:

canadamus_prime said:
Well anyone on the Internet anyway.

redknightalex

Elusive Paragon
Aug 31, 2012
Unfortunately, the whole Mass Effect 3 ending controversy taught me many a lessons along these lines. It was a good game 90% of the time (and most people won't refute that) but it's ending was *cough* controversial at best. Some hated it, bombed MetaCritic, and spammed anyone who even thought the ending was acceptable (ie not bad). At least they had some decent arguments but you don't need to ostracize others.

Dragon's Crown is just another in a long line of video games that have stirred the ire of a few gamers that then proceed to use opinions, not arguments, to not just attack the game but the gamers who play it.

Personally, no invested interest in Dragon's Crown or the talk around it. Not sure if I don't care or if I can't find a good position to hold onto. Either way...good strip.

Amir Kondori

Apr 11, 2013
While I dost not play games on ye olde console box, I must admit for me the character designs were a lavish cupcake filled with cream and topped with boobie shaped sprinkles.

I knowst what I like.
redknightalex said:
Unfortunately, the whole Mass Effect 3 ending controversy taught me many a lessons along these lines. It was a good game 90% of the time (and most people won't refute that) but it's ending was *cough* controversial at best. Some hated it, bombed MetaCritic, and spammed anyone who even thought the ending was acceptable (ie not bad). At least they had some decent arguments but you don't need to ostracize others.

Dragon's Crown is just another in a long line of video games that have stirred the ire of a few gamers that then proceed to use opinions, not arguments, to not just attack the game but the gamers who play it.

Personally, no invested interest in Dragon's Crown or the talk around it. Not sure if I don't care or if I can't find a good position to hold onto. Either way...good strip.
Trying to use Dragon's Crown to defend Mass Effect 3? That is a stretch.

I will agree that there are a lot of idiots on the internet who want to cast aspersions on you for liking what they don't like. I am sure that was true of ME3 as well.

Whispering Cynic

Nov 11, 2009
Covarr said:
That's not fair to Gearbox. They also did a competent Halo port... ten years ago.

P.S. Thanks
Yeah, it's not all bad. They also did HL: Opposing Force, which I found quite enjoyable... though that was what, fourteen years ago?

TAdamson

Jun 20, 2012
Whispering Cynic said:
Covarr said:

P.S. Thanks
Yeah, it's not all bad. They also did HL: Opposing Force, which I found quite enjoyable... though that was what, fourteen years ago?
To be fair, if they had fucked that up Randy Pitchford would probably still be chained up in the Valve dungeon.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Whispering Cynic said:
Covarr said:

P.S. Thanks
And the Brothers in Arms series. Also they did Blue Shift as well.

If only it was called Bopposing Force. We could say they can only make good games that start with the letter 'B'.

Bostur

Mar 14, 2011
GundamSentinel said:

canadamus_prime said:
Yeah I don't really think gamers are any worse than people in general.

What if Valve attempted a cupcake filled with glass shards and succeeded, how do you appreciate that? Or what if they claimed that was what they were going for after all the negative reviews ticked in?

Corporate marketing spin can make it really hard to create good arguments.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
I love this comic and you guys rock. Never change.

Seriously, ever. *glares and shakes fist menacingly*

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I'm just here to say that "From Metacritic's heart, I stab at thee" made me giggle.

JudgeGame

Jan 2, 2013
KOMega said:
I don't know....
Cross-eyed zombie pirate cyborg extendo-arm pistol-hand Hitler does sound crazy enough to work.
Those were actually the exact words that were uttered just before Project Second Dawn was greenlit.

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
It's a pity this isn't more pithy, I can see it being a quotable way of framing a discussion about gaming if only it were wittier.

This comic is a non delicious cupcake filled with pubes and shards of glass.

See? Doesn't work.