"Hundreds" of Battlefield 3 Cheaters Banned

Aeonknight

Apr 8, 2011
Croaker42 said:
Catalyst6 said:
Croaker42 said:
Yet another example of why I don't feel bad bowing out of this iteration multiplayer FPS. ORIGIN makes me sick and needs to stop before I step anywhere near EA again.
Also EA is disrespecting their online crowd kind of hard with this. Exploiting has gone hand in had with their games since the beginning.
How so, exactly? There will always be ways to get around things, no matter what EA does. Exploiting is just idiotic, if you're going to play the game then do so properly. Sure, you can get 10000 points by shifting right there and pressing the G key and reciting Ovid, but that's not playing the game. No one likes it, and it's usually no better than hacking, just harder to prove.
First I am at a point where I realize that plenty of fun games exist in the world. Plenty fun games that don't use origin. So on that matter I stand on principal and choose not to play BF3 at all. As I am not a MW fan, I guess that leaves me out of the current gen of multiplayer FPS

As for glitching; People do take part in it so it turns out that some people do enjoy it. Similar to the fact that I don't like gum chewers but gum chewers enjoy chewing gum. I don't think I have the right to tell them to stop. "Life experience may change when dealing with other people."
Really not a valid excuse. the "gum chewers" in this case are actually putting others at an unfair disadvantage in more ways than 1. In a competitive environment, this is unacceptable.

If exploiting glitches is their idea of fun, there's plenty of offline games or games with shitty security they can play. But BF3 is not one of them.

JET1971

Apr 7, 2011
I am glad EA is taking a zero tolerance stance when it comes to cheating. and yes boosting and exploiting game bugs is cheating and is just as bad as using chams or an aimbot. do i feel sorry because some jackass exploited a bug and got an unfair advantage then recieved a ban for it? hell no! fuck them! they cheated while knowing they were cheating and deserved the ban. zero tolerance and no excuses of "oh i didnt know it was a glitch..." or "well the devs left it in there so im going to use it" bullshit.

Enverex

Oct 6, 2010
Volf99 said:
Is it really cheating to exploit a glitch that the game developers made? I get being ticked off by hackers, but exploiting a glitch is different.
No, it's not. A glitch is simply something that shouldn't happen and hasn't been patched yet (or due to the nature of the glitch, isn't something that can be patched). The game developers didn't "make" the glitch, that would make it a feature. A glitch is an unwanted side-effect of something. If you want to cheat the game with glitches, keep it to yourself in single player.

CardinalPiggles said:
Is exploiting a games feature really considered cheating? If so you better ban those Speed runners too.
Nonsense. Speed running a single player game has no effect on anyone else. Exploting glitches in a game to get points gives you unlocks and access to other features that you are supposed to work for and not have access to for some time.

NoOne852

The Friendly Neighborhood Nobody
Sep 12, 2011
mjc0961 said:
I feel sorry for the MW3 fans. You just know that with how these cheaters act, they're going to rant about how they did nothing wrong (bullshit) and say that they're going to get MW3 instead. And then the people who just want to enjoy MW3 will have to put up with those fuck nuggets who want to glitch and cheat instead, as if they didn't have enough of those people already.
opening day there were already vast amounts of people using aim-bots. It's sad really.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Enverex said:
Volf99 said:
Is it really cheating to exploit a glitch that the game developers made? I get being ticked off by hackers, but exploiting a glitch is different.
No, it's not. A glitch is simply something that shouldn't happen and hasn't been patched yet (or due to the nature of the glitch, isn't something that can be patched). The game developers didn't "make" the glitch, that would make it a feature. A glitch is an unwanted side-effect of something. If you want to cheat the game with glitches, keep it to yourself in single player.

The thing about the glitch, as apposed to hacking is that everybody is able to do it, not only certain people. I guess my whole point is that if anybody should be in trouble, it should be the people who made the game, not the people who exploit the developers glitch.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Yeah, that flashlight did seem to blind me completely the few times I played the game. Even the campaign had them at crazy brightness levels. Ugh...

Croaker42

Feb 5, 2009
Aeonknight said:
Croaker42 said:
As for glitching; People do take part in it so it turns out that some people do enjoy it. Similar to the fact that I don't like gum chewers but gum chewers enjoy chewing gum. I don't think I have the right to tell them to stop. "Life experience may change when dealing with other people."
Really not a valid excuse. the "gum chewers" in this case are actually putting others at an unfair disadvantage in more ways than 1. In a competitive environment, this is unacceptable.

If exploiting glitches is their idea of fun, there's plenty of offline games or games with shitty security they can play. But BF3 is not one of them.
Fly a kite in any public park but mine?

Even if the park has rules against flying kites, some people just have to fly kites. Should they go somewhere else or perhaps do it out of sight? Probably. But flying a kite where no one else can see it gets really boring.

However I can understand how this entire thing would piss off the launch day stat jockeys. Of course from my perspective those people should be off in their own heavily moderated league servers or whatever they do.

Did EA do the right thing? Yeah I guess so.
Is it disrespectful to a long standing Battlefield tradition? Yes.
Hell if they keep it up, jet hogs that rack up hundreds of jet kills a game could be considered stat paders.

Enverex

Oct 6, 2010
Volf99 said:
The thing about the glitch, as apposed to hacking is that everybody is able to do it, not only certain people. I guess my whole point is that if anybody should be in trouble, it should be the people who made the game, not the people who exploit the developers glitch.
Not true, if one person can download a "hack" then anyone can. It's just exploiting glitches is easier because it doesn't require any outside intervention. The part about the people making the game being in trouble is just juvinile. I'm sure it'll get resolved with (almost all) of the other bugs and issues in the game at the moment. It just sounds like you're trying to justify your own cheating at the moment.

Keewa

Nov 6, 2008
Croaker42 said:
Aeonknight said:
Croaker42 said:

Even if the park has rules against flying kites, some people just have to fly kites. Should they go somewhere else or perhaps do it out of sight? Probably. But flying a kite where no one else can see it gets really boring.

However I can understand how this entire thing would piss off the launch day stat jockeys. Of course from my perspective those people should be off in their own heavily moderated league servers or whatever they do.

Hell if they keep it up, jet hogs that rack up hundreds of jet kills a game could be considered stat paders.
If we're in a kite-flying competition and you're beefing up your kite by adding things that are against the rules. Yes, it's fair that you be penalised for that.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Satsuki666 said:
Volf99 said:
Didnt you know your not allowed to do anything that the developers do not approve of. It does not matter if it is in the game or even if it is a glitch or not. If the developers dont like it its not a ban worthy crime. I have actually seen stat resets and bans for things that are no where near this bad in CoD before though so this does not surprise me.
They own the servers so... yeah.

Anyways, good to see them banning exploiters. I would have liked to see them release an emergency hot-fix at the same time but I have no idea how complex the code is so it might take them some time.

Magicmad5511

May 26, 2011
I hate people exploiting the game and ruining other peoples fun but I don't think they should be banned or it.
It's not their fault that the makers left glitches that could be exploited.
Booting yes. Ban them. Don't ban those using a glitch that should have been located before the game was released.

Aeonknight

Apr 8, 2011
Croaker42 said:
Aeonknight said:
Croaker42 said:

It's not about "zomg he has moar points than I do!" It's that with those points, come unlocks for equipment/weapons. Stuff that he shouldn't have access to yet, but he does.
On top of that, his team is now down at least 2 players (it takes 2 to do this glitch. generally have to have a friend inside the vehicle to get xp for repairing.) Thus ruining the experience for the other people on his team who are now outnumbered (and usually beaten) because they were too busy fucking around.

As for the guy in a jet getting hundreds of kills... those are all kills he earned. Every bit of xp he gets he deserves. It's not stat padding if you grind through it like everyone else.

So yes, in the interest of preserving game balance (and thus, longevity for the game itself), EA brought down the banhammer and brought it down hard. And the cheaters learned a valuable lesson at the price of 60$.

Helmholtz Watson

Nov 7, 2011
Enverex said:
Volf99 said:
Not true, if one person can download a "hack" then anyone can. It's just exploiting glitches is easier because it doesn't require any outside intervention. The part about the people making the game being in trouble is just juvinile. I'm sure it'll get resolved with (almost all) of the other bugs and issues in the game at the moment. It just sounds like you're trying to justify your own cheating at the moment.
seeing as how I'm an idiot when it comes to downloading things (getting mods for Minecraft is a nightmare for me, I always screw it up >_< ) I would say that mods are not available for everybody because that requires knowing how to get them, which as I stated I have no idea. I'm just saying that if people want to play the blame game when it comes to exploiting glitches, then lets place it on the people who made the glitches in the first place.

Also, I've never played any games of the Battlefield series. I usually stick to western RPG's and single player FPS shooters. So I'm not trying to justify any actions that you assume I've taken, just fyi.

Petromir

Apr 10, 2010
I see people have the complete lack of understanding of how rules/laws/etc work, if it's impossible theres generally no rule against it.....

Just becasue you can do something, doesnt mean you should.

If someone steps out of their supercar to post a letter, leaves the keys in, and the engine running does that make it legal to take the car? Of course not, even in a controlled enviroment theres laways the chance of chinks in the armour, thias doesnt make it right to exploit them.

Exploit banning is fairly standard procedure in online exploiting, though genrally only MP portions (and to all intents and purposes thats not much less than a full game ban in BF3). The full severity of the ban varies, but this is by no means an unusual affair.

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
Thats just dumb...
If someone is able to exploit the game by doing this then its EA's own damn fault. Theres no need to go banning anyone, especially without giving them a warning first. At the very least give them a warning...

When I saw the title I assumed it was for people who modded the game. Even RoosterTeeth made a video showing people how to do this.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
It's the developer's fault for letting such an obvious exploit into the game, no one deserves to be banned for it.

PZF

Nov 1, 2011
Dango said:
It's the developer's fault for letting such an obvious exploit into the game, no one deserves to be banned for it.
Seconded! I don't own BF3, but by the sounds of everything hear, It sounds like people pay $60 to borrow their game, not own it.

As for the bannings, People who use hack should be banned, no question. But to ban a player who just spent $60 on your game for something your company didn't account for, it just a good way to lose dedicated fans and give a bad rep for your company.

Croaker42

Feb 5, 2009
Aeonknight said:
Croaker42 said:
Aeonknight said:
Croaker42 said:

It's not about "zomg he has moar points than I do!" It's that with those points, come unlocks for equipment/weapons. Stuff that he shouldn't have access to yet, but he does.
On top of that, his team is now down at least 2 players (it takes 2 to do this glitch. generally have to have a friend inside the vehicle to get xp for repairing.) Thus ruining the experience for the other people on his team by beating outnumbered (and usually beaten) because they were too busy fucking around.

As for the guy in a jet getting hundreds of kills... those are all kills he earned. Every bit of xp he gets he deserves. It's not stat padding if you grind through it like everyone else.

So yes, in the interest of preserving game balance (and thus, longevity for the game itself), EA brought down the banhammer and brought it down hard. And the cheaters learned a valuable lesson at the price of 60$.
So the guy that TKs repetitively to get that jet/heli/tank is just grinding out like the rest of us? Its exploiting a feature of the game for your benefit over someone else. How about when a large number of your team ques up for aircraft or spawns sniper and doesn't know know to snipe and take objectives? They have taken themselves out of the game putting the team to a disadvantage. Face it two more d-bags are not going to make the game winning difference. If someone lets things like this affect them in online play then they probably shouldn't be playing online.

valkeminator

404Th Ravens. No.04
Nov 19, 2009
In my opinion this is technically should also be part of DICE's fault too, having designed such an obvious bug. Perma banning may be a bit too harsh but then restarting their stats seem to be a better option.

...having heard how people really want to unlock their equipments so badly though, it seems like they just want to be able to play with all the toys available from the get go, so to the developers out there: Maybe Leveling up is not important at all in FPS multiplayers, people just want to be able to use all their guns (except if they just want to raise rank for show).

On the other hand theres barely any oceania BF3 servers available anyway.

...The dragon must have ate them all up. *dons armor and sets off to the nearest dragon mound*