I am a male, but always make a female player-character.

Apr 28, 2008
Play through a couple times as a male, then a couple times as a female.

Usually good, neutral, then evil male.

Then good, neutral, then evil female.

GaryH

Sep 3, 2008
AlexNora said:
GHudston said:
I do not play games to be someone that I want to be. I play games to be someone that I am not. I wouldn't arbitrarily deprive myself of half of these experiences any more than I would avoid writing a novel with a female protagonist for the same reason.

who you want to be is not the same as who you are.
I agree, but I don't think that contradicts my post.

Darius Brogan

Apr 28, 2010
I always make my character female because, if the game's third person, I don't wanna stare at muscle-y man-ass all bloody day and, if it's first person, I don't wanna hear vaguely sexual male grunts every time I get hurt.

Gill Kaiser

Sep 3, 2008
It's more fun to dress up female characters. Clothes look better on girls.

I realise that sounds pretty damn metrosexual.

PatSilverFox

Apr 2, 2011
If you're going to look at someones rear the entire course of an rpg, wouldn't you rather it be a butt you're attracted to?
Just a comment.

PatSilverFox

Apr 2, 2011
Gill Kaiser said:
It's more fun to dress up female characters. Clothes look better on girls.

I realise that sounds pretty damn metrosexual.
Not really at all.
You like clothes that are on a girl...
Sounds pretty straight to me ??

PatSilverFox

Apr 2, 2011
Mauso88 said:
Justyn Stahll said:
I usually make my character female based on this quote from Rooster Teeth (they were playing Skate 3)

"Why did you make a Girl?"

"Well, Because I'm going to be looking at the this person's ass for X-hours so....might as well be a girl's"

thats why
Definitely this. ^
I didn't even realize that was there x3

PatSilverFox

Apr 2, 2011
briunj04 said:
[sub]I'm a male [/sub]I think,[sub] and I usually make male characters. (Although since I'm still a teenager, my parents would think I'm a perv if they see my playing a female character)
However for games like Dragon Quest where you customize your team, I like to get a nice mix of male and female characters because if I just have male characters I feel sexist and look like too much of a douche.[/sub]
Sorry what? That made me laugh.

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
Vivace-Vivian said:
I'm a lady. I make my girls my perfect match. Big, strong and about as good as any Jedi can get. Why? I want to be attracted to the person I'm going to be staring at for hours. Also I find it rather difficult to care as much about men as I do about women...
I don't get answers like this, I really don't I'm to busy looking at everything around my character unless I'm forced to look at them during a cut scene.

I do make girls on MMO's, no idea why most of my wow characters are females. As for my RPGS, it's about 50/50 really.

PatSilverFox said:
Sorry what? That made me laugh.
You know there is an edit button right and no need to triple post.

Doti

Jun 8, 2011
I find the "if I'm going to stare at an ass" and "good male character/evil female character" trends here slightly worrying.

As for me, it really doesn't make too much of a difference, honestly, as the changes to the actual gameplay are usually minimal, if any. The only time when I deliberately make the choice is when I end up with two Pokémon games of the same generation, where I choose a male in one game and a female in other, if only to trick myself into thinking the differences between versions are enough to justify having them both and not feel like the waste of money it actually is.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Kurt Cristal said:
I try to justify this all the time, but I'm not really sure why EXACTLY I do this. I won't give out any more personal details about myself because I'm just curious about what you think of this, escapist. So, any psychoanalysts in the house? Also, when you make a customizable player character, what do YOU make?
Obviously, you have latent issues. It's fairly clear that you do, if only subconsciously, want to be a woman. The only valid response is a sex-change operation. Embrace your new self.

As for me, I generally pick the default male appearance. I'm far too lazy/apathetic to customize my character to any real degree (most of the time, games without a predefined protagonist like DA:O I make my own character), so I just stick with the default. And I play as a guy mostly because it's easier to insert myself into the fiction that way. Women are confusing enough just talking to them, I don't need to deal with making myself think that way too.

Archemetis

Is Probably Awesome.
Aug 13, 2008
Taking my WoW characters as an example, I have... Two male characters. the other seven characters are female.

(In case it's not that apparent, I'm a dude).

What does this say about me? Nothing, really.

I play female characters (on a role-playing server I might add) because I feel more comfortable with it.

The other reason is I just really admire the 'design' of the female form.*

[sub](*No, that doesn't amount to 'chicks are hot, hurrr!'.)[/sub]

Just from a visual standpoint women are much more interesting to look at.
Especially in WoW, where a typical human male has the upper body size of a fridge...

[Open note to Blizzard: please, please in the next expansion can you introduce variations in body-sizes? The only reason I don't play human male is because I(and probably you) can't justify a mage looking like a body-builder... Thank you.]

And even outside of WoW, men are boring to look at. Not that it's helped in anyway by designers who insist on male characters either being in the 'fridge-sized' or 'regular dude in casual clothes' camps...

There are plenty of different reasons why guys play girls in games, and that was mine.

What does it say about anything? Nothing.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
You just get some elicit sexual thrill out of seeing pixelated asses waving in front of the camera while you game. Nothing weird about that. Creepy, yes, but that's your thing to deal with.

Either that or you're secretly a woman trapped in a man's body but haven't fully realised it yet and as such are taking out your desire to be a woman through a detached form of interaction, like video games.

Or, if we're going by Freudian psycho-analysis: You want to fuck your mother.

Oh, and I'm a guy and I always make guy characters. But I always try to make them look as feminine as possible.

GaryH

Sep 3, 2008
I find this sort of depressing. Do this many people really feel this way or is the "ass" comment just the accepted canned response with which to defend your decision to play as a female character?

Justyn Stahll said:
I usually make my character female based on this quote from Rooster Teeth (they were playing Skate 3)

"Well, Because I'm going to be looking at the this person's ass for X-hours so....might as well be a girl's"

thats why
the_honey_badger said:
I make female characters because I'd rather be staring at a girl's butt all day than a guy's.
TYofSON said:
well if your going to watch a 3d animation for 10 hours or more why not watch the opposite sex for those 10 hours.
Gitty101 said:
Welcome to the club XD I too am also guilty of this. I have a policy - if I'm gonna be watching an ass bobbing up and down for 20 hours or more, it may as well be a nice ass XD

EDIT: Damn it! Looks like I was Ninja'd XD
bam13302 said:
make female characters, varying types, my excuse is i like something good to look at
Deshara said:
I make female characters. I figure, if I'm gonna stare at someone's ass for 20 hours, it might as well be a chick's
Nightvalien said:
just answer this simple question, what do you prefer to look at for about 20 hours of gameplay male sheppard's butt or female sheppard's butt?
Not PvP Flagged said:
I just don't enjoy staring at man ass the entire time I'm playing.
Darius Brogan said:
I always make my character female because, if the game's third person, I don't wanna stare at muscle-y man-ass all bloody day and, if it's first person, I don't wanna hear vaguely sexual male grunts every time I get hurt.
PatSilverFox said:
If you're going to look at someones rear the entire course of an rpg, wouldn't you rather it be a butt you're attracted to?
Just a comment.

Skarovich

May 14, 2010
I typically end up picking the gender based on what I plan to do with the character.
Cunning Thief? Typically female. Dark brooding Warrior? Usually male. Battle Mage? Male. Etc.

Sure, it's a tad cliched at times, but meh.
Sometimes I'll change it up just for the sake of changing things up, but I tend to just go with whichever gender I feel would fit the role best.

I've noticed I end up with more female characters through out all my games though. But I also prefer roles that generally suit them better as well, so... Read of that what you will.

Moontouched-Moogle

Nov 17, 2009
I guess it really just depends on the game. If I have a game that lets me make my own characters but doesn't affect the plot in a major way, I'll usually make both male and female ones to get the most out of the game. (Like Phantasy Star Portable. There's a lot of customization and a fair bit of gender/race specific equipment and abilities. Similar deal with the Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles games.) If I simply choose between a preset male and female character, however, I tend to think about it harder. For instance, if I had to play Persona 3 Portable, I'd probably go with the male lead since I'd be able to relate better and wouldn't have to deal with the male teammates hitting on me. Plus, if I'm desperate for boobs, I'll just bring Yukari along. (Now stop complaining and put on the bathing suit! Yes, it does have more defense than more substantial clothing! No, I don't know why!)

PatSilverFox

Apr 2, 2011
GHudston said:
This is sort of depressing:

Justyn Stahll said:

thats why
the_honey_badger said:
I make female characters because I'd rather be staring at a girl's butt all day than a guy's.
TYofSON said:
well if your going to watch a 3d animation for 10 hours or more why not watch the opposite sex for those 10 hours.
Gitty101 said:
Welcome to the club XD I too am also guilty of this. I have a policy - if I'm gonna be watching an ass bobbing up and down for 20 hours or more, it may as well be a nice ass XD

EDIT: Damn it! Looks like I was Ninja'd XD
bam13302 said:
make female characters, varying types, my excuse is i like something good to look at
Deshara said:
I make female characters. I figure, if I'm gonna stare at someone's ass for 20 hours, it might as well be a chick's
Nightvalien said:
just answer this simple question, what do you prefer to look at for about 20 hours of gameplay male sheppard's butt or female sheppard's butt?
Not PvP Flagged said:
I just don't enjoy staring at man ass the entire time I'm playing.
Darius Brogan said:
PatSilverFox said:
Just a comment.
How so?
Not really it's just a shared answer.
I'm gay so I'm not really a pervert because of this x3
I just play male all the time ;3

GestaltEsper

Oct 11, 2009
I just flip a coin. That usually works. Except that one time I got edge.

What? You expected a cutaway?