I am a male, but always make a female player-character.

Kurt Cristal

Mar 31, 2010
I try to justify this all the time, but I'm not really sure why EXACTLY I do this. I won't give out any more personal details about myself because I'm just curious about what you think of this, escapist. So, any psychoanalysts in the house? Also, when you make a customizable player character, what do YOU make?

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I'm a male.

I make my women evil.

I think it's because I'll feel more disconnected with a female character, and therefore less guilty.

That said, I've haven't done an evil playthrough of anything in a looooooooooong time. Therefore, I haven't done a female playthrough of an RPG in a long time.

Tasachan

Jan 28, 2010
Hey, I have a guy in my D&D group that always plays a girl, and I sometimes play a guy. It doesn't mean anything.

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
I always make a male and female character, though the numbers of each vary with the game. On KotOR, I only made male characters because it felt right in that game. I Mass Effect, although my main is male, I prefer my female character because Jennifer Hale sounds so much better.
For some odd reason, I keep on making the same thief/mage fewmale Dark Elf character in Oblivion every time I play it.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Kurt Cristal said:
I try to justify this all the time, but I'm not really sure why EXACTLY I do this. I won't give out any more personal details about myself because I'm just curious about what you think of this, escapist. So, any psychoanalysts in the house? Also, when you make a customizable player character, what do YOU make?
Some people do that for the challenge of 'role-playing'(in the widest definition) a character completely different from themselves.

I usually make female characters too, mostly because it's easier for me to immerse myself and because I think there are already enough male protagonists in games. :p

Dec 14, 2009
Because a sexy female assassin appeals to me more on an RPG level than a male one.

In Oblivion, I had an elf with white hair, red eyes, and Ezio's costume from Assassin's Creed 2.

It was awesome.

JWRosser

Jul 4, 2006
Onyx Oblivion said:
I'm a male.

I make my women evil.
I do that!

No idea why, but I often make a "good" male and an "evil" female. Not always, but often. 'tis weird.

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
I always play female characters if that means my character will be voice-acted by Jennifer Hale.

Otherwise I don't really care - I do whatever I feel like at the time. I'm not a fan of the whole "my customizable character is me" thing, so it's just a question of what makes sense for the character. Like for instance my character in FO:NV was female because I thought Nikita Tesla would be a cool name for an energy weapon user.

blackdwarf

Jun 7, 2010
i normaly do not play a female character, because for some reason i found it bit 'weird'. (being male) i don't know why, maybe it has soemthing to do with that i takes someones avatar as a representesion of someone else, if someone plays a female character, i always think that the player is female. in the dragon age II i played for the first time a female, so now i promised myself that if possible, i always play a female character on the second or third playtrough.

Justyn Stahll

Jul 22, 2010
I usually make my character female based on this quote from Rooster Teeth (they were playing Skate 3)

"Why did you make a Girl?"

"Well, Because I'm going to be looking at the this person's ass for X-hours so....might as well be a girl's"

thats why

Geo88

Nerdy Wordsmith
Jul 20, 2010
I've made a female character on MMOs on occasion. I've notice that I get ganked less, and I've even had people just walk up to me and give me free stuff, which I've never had happen on my male toons.

Otherwise, I play as male characters in order to help with immersion.

yanipheonu

Jan 27, 2010
I'm a male that choose female characters too.

I'd say that most of the reason is because XD well I just like how women look, so if I have to play a game for 20+ hours, why not be looking at a woman?

Also, I really like playing with the conventions of women roles. Making the woman the White Knight that rescues people. It's more fun to me than playing the cocky burly man or something like that.

staika

I am Tizzy's Willing Slave
Aug 3, 2009
I don't do it because I am not good at role playing as a female. It's really awkward for me and I did try it once and I felt very awkward doing everything to the point I had to go back to my male character and I haven't played as a female since.

TYofSON

May 30, 2011
well if your going to watch a 3d animation for 10 hours or more why not watch the opposite sex for those 10 hours.

Zack Renna

Jun 15, 2011
the_honey_badger said:
I make female characters because I'd rather be staring at a girl's butt all day than a guy's.
That was my female roommates guess too, cause I always play female characters

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Personally, it depends on the character I wish to develop (or the species in the case of multi-race games like Dragon Age or WoW). As one of my guild-mates once said, he made his main character a female Night Elf because he didn't want to be looking at a man-ass all the time while he played.

Also, sometimes if I feel like going for the violence of an FPS but want to play an RPG, I'll create an innocent-looking female character and make her a psychotic brute that only Wrex would be proud of.

KingTiger

Nov 6, 2009
In games, we become what we want to be or try to be in reality.

At least for me, hence why I only play as a male character. Not interested in becoming a girl.