I am a male, but always make a female player-character.

Dj_Trip

Oct 12, 2009
Geo88 said:
I've made a female character on MMOs on occasion. I've notice that I get ganked less, and I've even had people just walk up to me and give me free stuff, which I've never had happen on my male toons.

Otherwise, I play as male characters in order to help with immersion.
I've found that to be true too. I laugh a little when that happens. On a purely aesthetic level I find the female form to be much nicer, but I'll admit that PvP armor looks a bit ridiculous on my night elf's tiny frame.

Orangeheart

May 6, 2011
It depends on the game for me. Every time I play oblivion, play as a female Khajiit, a theif and assassin, infamous, sexy and steathy. Whenever I play fallout 3. I'm a male sniper with Very good karma, trustworthy, loyal and brave.

For Mass Effect, I can comfortably play as either male or female, but I play differently for each character. John Shepherd is a powerful biotic paragon, light-hearted and easy going. John Shepherd doesn't bother to make plans in a battle because he's likely to smash through everything anyway. Jill Shepherd on the other hand, is a hard and tactical soldier. She's a no-nonsense paragon who'll runs things tight and doesn't take no for an answer.

I guess it just depends on who fits best into the world.

ThatFanBoyGuy

Dec 23, 2009
I am a male, and I make male characters. The reason I do this is because when I play a video game, I try to place myself in the game, as if I am the character myself. This is why most of the time, I design the character to look as close to myself as possible. If he doesn't look like me, that is because either I am playing an RPG and it's a tacticle advantage, or it's how I see myself or picture myself in that position. For example, on Guitar Hero and RockBand, I am an emo rocker because I were really a rockstar, I would be emo.

RevRaptor

Mar 10, 2010
I tend to mix it up a bit, really depends on the game. In mass effect however I always go with a female, male Sheppard is an ass hat. I actually am pretty attached to my particular version of Sheppard in every game I play I always make the same character.

I tend to prefer female characters if given the choice because they are nicer to look at and listen to. If I'm going to be staring at a arse for hours on end I want that bum to be a females.

Kais86

May 21, 2008
I mix it up, one of my characters is a gynoid, another is a male combat cyborg, another is a male ninja, another is a female federal agent, another is a lesbian angel/paladin (or a half-celestial aasimar for the nerds who know what that means), and the last one I've payed in the last year is a male fighter.

....come to think of it those are all in pen and paper games. I only make chicks in video games because I want to, they are more fun to watch than dudes.

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
why not? they look better
( unless they have stupid run animations or pugly faces, then they don't, lol )

dunno why people worry / care what char you pick it's an avatar just roll with it
seriously, if you think you 'are' your chars, i think you have more issues than if
you just pick them for looks or whatever

WhiteShadow2401

Jul 10, 2009
I do it, too. Quoting a friend of mine, who also does it: "If I'm going to stare at the ass of someone for 30 hours, it shall be a woman's ass"

Not that I share his... rudeness... but the man speaks truth.

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
I tend to do the same. In extreme cases, no (female Orcs in WoW - No). Generally I'd prefer to view a female avatar if it's a third person game. I'm not going to imagine myself in a game because (despite some frightening attempts) there are no character creation engines varied enough to create me. And I wouldn't want to play myself anyway, that's why we're imagining here.

Scorekeeper

Mar 15, 2011
I'll make a female character if:

1) I'll be looking at the character's posterior for any length of time
2) The voice actor is Jennifer Hale
3) There are in-game benefits to making a female
4) There's a female romance for my lady character

SkinyJim

Dec 30, 2010
My brothers philosophy - if you're gonna make someone to play as through a game they may as well be someone you enjoy looking at.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
Kurt Cristal said:
I try to justify this all the time, but I'm not really sure why EXACTLY I do this. I won't give out any more personal details about myself because I'm just curious about what you think of this, escapist. So, any psychoanalysts in the house? Also, when you make a customizable player character, what do YOU make?
I do the same... mean if it's a Role playing game than let's motherfucking roleplay...

I like to make my characters as detached from me as possible...<.<

Daddy Go Bot

Aug 14, 2008
I just wanna point out that the ass staring excuse has been done to death on literally every single video game forum that has had a topic on this female character discussion. 10 people alone have used it here. It's not funny, it's not original, and if you're starring at your character's ass then you're the one with the problem.

'The Eel'

Sep 13, 2008
I almost always play female characters given the chance in video games, while maybe 40% of my tabletop RPG characters are female. In the tabletop games they are almost always direct imports from one of the many story ideas I have floating around my head (which I really need to get around to actually writing down one of these days...).

In video games, I usually default to playing Minima Maximus, an obsessive hoarder who never uses any consumable items unless necessary to obtain maximum permanent stats, tries to help as many people she can (taking all of their worldly belongings as payment, whether they agree to it or not), and is generally full of herself in dialogue. These traits mainly came about due to my desire to make the game harder via self-imposed challenges, obsession with 100% completion, and general difficulty with playing evil characters.

Speaking of which, I have the opposite tendency regarding evil characters as some other people in this thread have mentioned. I find it far easier to play an evil character if they are male. Probably because I tend to be rather more protective of my female characters (ie, "No, they aren't really a bad person!")

floppylobster

Oct 22, 2008
I find it weird when people always want to play as big burly men. I like to play with girls in real life so I usually play as a girl in games. (Or, because most girls won't play games with me - I make my own).

If I was trying to play as a guy in a game for 'immersion' as some people say they do, it couldn't be done. I have a strong sense of self and have never found a game character, or the game design to offer choices, even remotely close to how I act in real life. So I use games for what they are mostly designed for - escapist fun.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
JWRosser said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
I'm a male.

I make my women evil.
I do that!

No idea why, but I often make a "good" male and an "evil" female. Not always, but often. 'tis weird.
I do that too! All my Male characters are 'good' and Female characters are 'evil'. It is how God intended isn't it?

Matt Wood

Apr 29, 2011
Justyn Stahll said:
I usually make my character female based on this quote from Rooster Teeth (they were playing Skate 3)

"Why did you make a Girl?"

"Well, Because I'm going to be looking at the this person's ass for X-hours so....might as well be a girl's"

thats why
yea....this about sums it up, probably something deep about the emotional link between a man and a women, we a man finds it easier to connect to a woman who fits his peresonaility, but its more likely to be the flesh around that charcter that does it

Zeema

The Furry Gamer
Jun 29, 2010
i prefer playing as a Girl

pretty Outfits
I like the Voice Actor for Shepard and Hawke [just saying its a plus for me]
Dresses
Hairstyles

SH4DOWSL4Y3R

Jan 21, 2011
if it's pre-set characters, i pick who looks cool, if i create the character "from scratch" it depends on the theme i want to go for for the character and which gender seems more suited to the specific role.