I am not watching Justice League until I see Snyder's Cut of the Movie.

wizzy555

Oct 14, 2010
I think the best you can hope for is some sort of Synder commentary about what he would have done. Maybe storyboards.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
These are board room movies. It doesn't matter who makes them.
Which makes me wonder why they even bring on someone like Zack Snyder in the first place.

Whether you like the man and his works or not, he has a clear artistic vision and style of directing movies. Something the movie currently running in theaters lacks.

If they wanted a yes man who'll make whatever they want, WB should've just hired Brett Ratner.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
KingsGambit said:
I would pay more to never see a Zack Snyder version. He's a crap filmmaker and the main reason MoS and BvS:DoJ both sucked so badly.
Christopher Nolan hired Zack to direct what was going to be a trilogy of Superman Man of Steel movies, than WB came and said they wanted Batman in the next movie now.

EscapistAccount

Aug 18, 2017
Samtemdo8 said:
Warner Bros. clearly took full advantage of the situation when Snyder left to deal with his Family Problems and hired Joss Wheadon to take on the director's chair.
I think the reverse; that Snyder's family tragedy has prevented the worst criticisms of his recent films and that if he'd seen the project to completion he would be getting it fully in the face. Because his last few films were absolutely fucking awful and he should never have been given another film after Batman Versus Superman.

I don't say that as anyone who's partisan for Marvel or DC either, that shit doesn't apply to normal people audiences that don't give a shit about the comics. Batman Versus Superman was the worst film I'd seen in years, since The Losers actually, and if I hadn't have been watching it with my partner I'd have simply left the theatre about 90 minutes in.

C14N

May 28, 2008
Samtemdo8 said:
Casual Shinji said:
The less Snyderverse these DC movies get the better. I don't know if WB has some sort of multiple movie deal signed with him, because most people hate his take on Superman and now Batman, yet he keeps getting to make them.
Do you want DC to be a copypaste of the MCU?
Nope, but that would probably still not be as bad as the Zach Snyder shitheap. At this point, I think DC should just cut their losses instead of trying to throw good movies after bad. Go make some more standalone films or series like the Dark Knight trilogy, or even, in all honesty, Wonder Woman, which had around zero connection to the rest of the franchise. Even if the DC movies start getting good, it'll now be the case that you need to suffer through dreck like BvS, Justice League and Suicide Squad to get the backstory.

Marvel came up with the whole "shared universe" thing. They obviously planned it quite well and have basically one guy (Kevin Feige) steering the larger ship. DC since the start has just been trying to play catch up despite clearly not really having their own shit together. Just let Marvel ride away with the concept, and make something else. I think some people would appreciate being able to go to a superhero movie again without wondering how it fits into some larger 30-movie plot.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Hawki said:
Samtemdo8 said:
2. If you want to DC to not be dark anymore, get rid of Batman, imagine a DC Universe without Batman?
To be frank, I wouldn't mind that, in as much that (and this is a problem the DC Universe has as a whole in my eyes), is that it makes no sense why Batman is hanging out with actual super-humans. To its credit, Justice League actually brings this up, even if it doesn't fully explore it.
I wouldn't want to remove Batman personally since I'm a pretty big fan but there is so much to do with this dynamic that the films ignore. As you mentioned this is a common theme in the DCAU (especially the Justice League Cartoon).

Honestly if I was calling the shots every character would have gotten their own movie (similar to Marvel's approach) but with varying tones of seriousness. Green Lantern and Corps is more of a swashbuckling space cop adventure. Flash is a more personal and funny movie. Wonder Woman would be a sweeping epic about gods and the pantheon. We would actually see Superman as a symbol of hope and make it clear that in contrast to Snyder's take on the character, Clark sees himself as a human first and Superman second. Hence why he chooses to live among regular people and use his powers for good. Then a more down to earth and grounded Batman movie based on any number of quality Batman stories. You could even go so dark as to do The Cult if we wanted to push the R rating.

Once actually well thought out and interesting characters are latched onto by audiences then you do the team up. Honestly Justice League War which adapts the New 52 assembly of the league is as good as any place to start. You can see how the team fits together (and perhaps explore how Batman is a bit of an odd-man out). Then if that's a hit you do Tower of Babel. You get a Batman centric story that nonetheless includes all the heroes and events that are linked to their own characteristics. You get to explore Batman's place in the Justice League and put him front and center (perfect for the suits in marketing). The League kicks him out, creating drama and opening the door to side stories with Batman and the Outsiders, solo movies, or Justice League Dark. Then of course his triumphant return to the League, maybe during an invasion of the White Martians or something.

I have no idea why I typed this out. I guess I just got excited and honestly I'm just so disappointed with the DCEU as someone who desperately wants these movies to be good. I won't be seeing Justice League until I find it on HBO Go for free. I'm done supporting what WB is doing to these characters. There are decades of quality stories and characterization to pull from and we're getting trash. Because Sam's contention that superhero movies can only fit into a couple genres and styles is just plain wrong. If you take even a cursory glance at the stories and history of these characters you can see the disparate styles and stories that make them up. Drama, romance, sweeping adventure, noir, vengeance, hope. These characters and stories are all of them and more.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Chimpzy said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
These are board room movies. It doesn't matter who makes them.
Which makes me wonder why they even bring on someone like Zack Snyder in the first place.

Whether you like the man and his works or not, he has a clear artistic vision and style of directing movies. Something the movie currently running in theaters lacks.

If they wanted a yes man who'll make whatever they want, WB should've just hired Brett Ratner.
Nothing against Snyder himself, but with the way these movies come about I just don't think it really matters who sits in the director's chair. With the exception of Nolan's trilogy and the first couple of Marvel movies, the phenomenom has spiralled well past a single person's vision and is based more on market research and projections and less on artistic flair.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Hawki said:
Canadamus Prime said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Casual Shinji said:
The less Snyderverse these DC movies get the better. I don't know if WB has some sort of multiple movie deal signed with him, because most people hate his take on Superman and now Batman, yet he keeps getting to make them.
Do you want DC to be a copypaste of the MCU?]
Of course not. The big thing I want from the DCCU is to stop being so goddamn dark, gloomy, and dour.
So...the MCU?

That aside, the DCEU hasn't been any of those things since WW - arguably since Suicide Squad.
Noooo. As I already stated, something similar in tone to the DCAU would be nice.
Also, at least in MoS and BvS, everything is all dour all the time so there is no juxtaposition when shit actually hits the fan and none of the characters are relatable so I don't care what happens to them.
Wonder Woman was the only good DCEU movie I've seen so far. I haven't seen Justice League.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
JUMBO PALACE said:
As you mentioned this is a common theme in the DCAU (especially the Justice League Cartoon).
I said DCEU, not DCAU. The film touches on it, just doesn't fully explore it. Can't comment on the DCAU.

JUMBO PALACE said:
We would actually see Superman as a symbol of hope and make it clear that in contrast to Snyder's take on the character, Clark sees himself as a human first and Superman second. Hence why he chooses to live among regular people and use his powers for good.
Isn't that the entire point of MoS?

Rhetorical question, many say it isn't, but whatever issues I have with MoS, it's take on Supes isn't among them. If anything, JL is a far more garish take because it tries to retroactively convince us that "boyscout Superman" was around from the start (I don't have an inherent problem with Supes being a boyscout, but at least in this context, make the transition, don't retroactively force it), plus it shows how overpowered he is. Zod's a better villain than Steppenwolf not only due to characterization, but also because he's more evenly matched.

JUMBO PALACE said:
If you take even a cursory glance at the stories and history of these characters you can see the disparate styles and stories that make them up. Drama, romance, sweeping adventure, noir, vengeance, hope. These characters and stories are all of them and more.
I'd say each DCEU film has had a different tone to it bar BvS being similar to MoS. I don't think any of them have been "good" per se, but that's another issue. Even the MCU has given me only four genuinely good films outside a plethora of average ones.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Hawki said:
JUMBO PALACE said:
As you mentioned this is a common theme in the DCAU (especially the Justice League Cartoon).
I said DCEU, not DCAU. The film touches on it, just doesn't fully explore it. Can't comment on the DCAU.
Ah, my mistake.

Hawki said:
Isn't that the entire point of MoS?

Rhetorical question, many say it isn't, but whatever issues I have with MoS, it's take on Supes isn't among them. If anything, JL is a far more garish take because it tries to retroactively convince us that "boyscout Superman" was around from the start (I don't have an inherent problem with Supes being a boyscout, but at least in this context, make the transition, don't retroactively force it), plus it shows how overpowered he is. Zod's a better villain than Steppenwolf not only due to characterization, but also because he's more evenly matched.
I know you said this was rhetorical so I want say much. Just that I fall into the camp of those who say it isn't. Specific bits of dialogue and plot points paint Supes as distinctly "other". Which is fine, but I think Snyder gets it backwards in that his version of Supes so desperately wants to be Superman rather than being perfectly happy as Clark who also does what he does as Supes because he can. I in fact don't mind Man of Steel all that much, I think it's more than watchable. I was speaking more specifically about BvS where Supes is a mopey mess.

Hawki said:
I'd say each DCEU film has had a different tone to it bar BvS being similar to MoS. I don't think any of them have been "good" per se, but that's another issue. Even the MCU has given me only four genuinely good films outside a plethora of average ones.
I also agree with you here. I was specifically referencing Samtendo's post about the only alternatives to MCU-esque and Edgy Grimdark are camp or parody. That's just not true as you yourself have said.

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
Samtemdo8 said:
Because after doing research on this, Warner Bros. clearly took full advantage of the situation when Snyder left to deal with his Family Problems and hired Joss Wheadon to take on the director's chair. I mean 3 Months Extensive Reshoots of the movie was a certainty enough they wanted to change Snyder's vision of the movie to just be another Avenger's clone.

I have been following Comicbookcast2's videos on this and he showcase some many examples of things that were cut or changed from Snyder's cut of the movie, things that were meant to follow up plot threads established by Batman v Superman, biggest example was that Superman was supposed to come back, but with the Black Suit and a villain (and still has his moustache) and the Green Lanterns were supposed to make an appearence.

In the end I knew this would happen to the theatrical movie when I heard they were not gonna seperated the movie into 2 parts, the massive extensive reshoots done by Joss Wheadon, and that its gonna be reduced to a 2 hour run time instead of 3.
I read about what was originally in the film and I don't think it would have been better tbh.

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
Samtemdo8 said:
Canadamus Prime said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Casual Shinji said:
Do you want DC to be a copypaste of the MCU?]
Of course not. The big thing I want from the DCCU is to stop being so goddamn dark, gloomy, and dour.
1. And in place of dark, gloomy, and dour you want what? Because me I want epic, Lord of the Rings style epic. With Scene chewing Badassery set the Choir bombing music.

2. If you want to DC to not be dark anymore, get rid of Batman, imagine a DC Universe without Batman?
1. We've had superhero stories that have been epic. You can have some heart with light, dark and dramatic moments.

2. We have. Its called the Arrowverse though that has its own faults currently. Also the DC universe has plenty of characters with dark stuff.

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
Samtemdo8 said:
BeetleManiac said:
Samtemdo8 said:
I have to ask. Why do you keep acting like Marvel and "DARKNESS!! NO PARENTS!!" are the only two ways to make a superhero movie?
Because the other choices are parody and camp.
There's nothing wrong with camp or jokes. You can have levity while having the dramatic moments. I swear I feel like deja vu right now just having the same things.

Also nothing wrong with LEGO Batman. I call that satire.

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
C14N said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Casual Shinji said:
Nope, but that would probably still not be as bad as the Zach Snyder shitheap. At this point, I think DC should just cut their losses instead of trying to throw good movies after bad. Go make some more standalone films or series like the Dark Knight trilogy, or even, in all honesty, Wonder Woman, which had around zero connection to the rest of the franchise. Even if the DC movies start getting good, it'll now be the case that you need to suffer through dreck like BvS, Justice League and Suicide Squad to get the backstory.

Marvel came up with the whole "shared universe" thing. They obviously planned it quite well and have basically one guy (Kevin Feige) steering the larger ship. DC since the start has just been trying to play catch up despite clearly not really having their own shit together. Just let Marvel ride away with the concept, and make something else. I think some people would appreciate being able to go to a superhero movie again without wondering how it fits into some larger 30-movie plot.
Well, technically the Universal monster films had a shared universe as well as the Japanese monster movies, but the MCU has been the one that started the trend and nailing it.