I don't like Half Life :C

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
Megacherv said:
You'd rather play Unreal or Quake?

...I'll let this one slide...

With the point of discussion, with my friends I'm the opposite with Halo: Reach. Despite my friends originally liking Halo a lot more than me, and I finally got into it at a later date, I'm the only one who really wants to play Reach. Sure it's Halo 3 with jetpacks, but I liked Halo 3 (eventually), and I love jetpacks.
correction... halo 3 with jetpacks, improved Forge Editor (seriously, WAAAAAY improved), a higher degree of multiplayer customization (bottomless clips and 200% jump height anyone?) and Firefight.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
bulldogftw said:
Call of Duty: Black Ops. The best call of duty game? No that would be number 1 1/2.
Fixed that for you. :p

OT: Hm...

The Dragon Ball Z games. That is all.

The original Dragon Ball Z Budokai will forever kick the most ass, with Budokai 3 being second place.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
Final Fantasy 7. I know hype towards that game has died down but it still has to be said.

Understandably every Final Fantasy game has a bit of a love or hate thing going for them, but playing FF7 was downright the least fun I've had playing any of the games in the series.
Some people might say I didn't get far enough into the game, but if I have to endure 10+ hours of agony before I enjoy a game then I say it's not a good game >.>

Though I will admit that Sephiroth was awesome and I love his theme tune :3

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
I'm not a huge fan of Half Life 2 either. At the risk of being flamed, I prefer the recharging health mechanic in first-person shooters. Hunting for health-packs gets tedious very fast, and carrying them individually using the Gravity Gun so I won't get killed feels like a chore.
That said, the Source Engine is a thing of unparalleled beauty and make the game worth playing.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
Sharalon said:
Any turn based combat is about as immersive as pong.
Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of turn-based combat either. The only game I enjoyed it was Biomotor Unitron for the NeoGeo Pocket, because there was no fecking cool-down wait or pain in the arse party system; it was quick turn-taking and it was generally over quickly.

nintendoeats

Jan 27, 2010
CoD multiplayer. Seriously, its just chaos all the time. Also the first Halo game. I've played mods with better level design.

...but I DO like Half life...

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
I honestly could not care less about the popularity or labels of a game, so I really don't know about all that.

I don't get along with any MMO's, for one.

adrian_exec

Apr 5, 2009
Blitzwarp said:
I liked Portal, but the HL games themselves just leave me for dead and I'd rather play Unreal or Quake. =/
Well when it comes to multiplayer, Half-Life does indeed suck.

But you have to understand that the selling point and the reason why so many people love Half-Life is because it was the game that invented story-telling in shooters!

There was no other shooter game before Half-Life that did this, sure we had a single player campaign in Doom or Quake but there wasn't really any story there, it was just you going around on different levels killing tons of dudes.

It's not really fair to compare Half-Life to multiplayer games, since that's not what it's known for.

Popido

Oct 21, 2010
Mass Effect and Dragon Age. They felt so...fake! Dead! Plastic! No feeling what so ever.

I partly blame it that I couldnt get into the character. I was just a by-stander watching some interactive movie hero jarring thru his lines.

omegawyrm

Nov 23, 2009
My fiance has been pestering me to play through the Silent Hill games for a long time now, and I've started the first two, but they're so poorly designed that I find myself paralyzed as to what the hell I'm supposed to be doing.

Good experiences, yes. Good games, hell no.

Soxafloppin

Coxa no longer floppin'
Jun 22, 2009
I don't like any FPS's like...Though to be honest Bulletstorm sort of looked fun!

I also didnt think GT5 was all that fun, very impressive yes..but i didnt really ever have fun playing it.

IvoryTowerGamer

Feb 24, 2011
Blitzwarp said:
Yeah. I'm one of those rare, rare, rare individuals who just doesn't get the hype around the Half Life games. I liked Portal, but the HL games themselves just leave me for dead and I'd rather play Unreal or Quake. =/
Just OOC, what don't you like? The shooting mechanics? The story?

Blitzwarp said:
But my question, Escapist, is this: what's the game that you just don't get along with despite the general consensus labelling it as awesome?
There are a lot, but mostly it stems from me just not liking that genre, etc. I usually can understand why someone else would like the game though.

Blitzwarp

Jan 11, 2011
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Blitzwarp said:
Yeah. I'm one of those rare, rare, rare individuals who just doesn't get the hype around the Half Life games. I liked Portal, but the HL games themselves just leave me for dead and I'd rather play Unreal or Quake. =/
It's definitely worth noting that Half Life (both 1 and 2) are a very different brand of game than Unreal or Quake. So it really isn't too surprising that you enjoy those two, but can't get into Half Life.
That's very true, they are very different games. And after playing somewhere in the region of thirty hours of Mass Effect I just couldn't get used to being a silent protagonist again, I guess. (Er, not that you talk a lot in Quake...) And the physics engine annoys me. Things...wobble way too easily.

IvoryTowerGamer said:
Blitzwarp said:
Just OOC, what don't you like? The shooting mechanics? The story?
The story is a large part of it. I guess I'm a big science fiction fan, but one who likes her games and movies to be set faraway in space with some gritty marines and their spaceship, not in some Orwellian concentration centre on Earth. Even if said-concentration-camp is staffed by face-hugging aliens. The shooting mechanics are second - I like to have a vast array of guns which I can break out in different situations, not a few weapons that are slowly built up over time. And thirdly is just the pace - too slow. I can get why people like Half Life, I just don't like it myself.

adrian_exec said:
Blitzwarp said:
I liked Portal, but the HL games themselves just leave me for dead and I'd rather play Unreal or Quake. =/
It's not really fair to compare Half-Life to multiplayer games, since that's not what it's known for.
Um...I don't play multiplayer on Quake or Unreal. I was judging them side-by-side with their Single Player campaigns. :S