I don't like Half Life :C

Nov 13, 2009
Mortal Kombat.
it IS Legendary, but I find the whole thing a bit too cheesy and overpowered.
When I answer this sort of question, people are like "WHAT!? Mortal Kombat is the best fighting game of ALL TIME!"
But I just don't like it, simple as that.

Netrigan

Sep 29, 2010
Azaraxzealot said:
Megacherv said:
You'd rather play Unreal or Quake?

...I'll let this one slide...

With the point of discussion, with my friends I'm the opposite with Halo: Reach. Despite my friends originally liking Halo a lot more than me, and I finally got into it at a later date, I'm the only one who really wants to play Reach. Sure it's Halo 3 with jetpacks, but I liked Halo 3 (eventually), and I love jetpacks.
correction... halo 3 with jetpacks, improved Forge Editor (seriously, WAAAAAY improved), a higher degree of multiplayer customization (bottomless clips and 200% jump height anyone?) and Firefight.
Word of warning, never play the "Better Customization" game with a PC gamer. 1999's Unreal Tournament probably had more customization options and mods than Reach... and came with an easy to use and powerful map editor. Didn't have jetpacks though. Did have wall-jumping if I'm remembering correctly... although that might have been UT 2003/4 that introduced that one.

ABLb0y

Aug 27, 2010
Minecraft is boring and grindy. Portal is ok, not as great as everyone makes it out to be, but its ok.

SIXVI06-M

Jan 7, 2011
bibblles said:
I've always had a hard time getting into the fallout games. I get why they're good, they're well made but I just don't find them very immersive games.
The ones made by Bethesda? or the originals made by Interplay/Black Isle?

I don't like the ones made by Bethesda - it was nice and good looking, but if you've played Oblivion before, and you've also played the original Fallout series - you find that it can't seem to decide where it wants to go. Sure the world is massive and all... but that's not a selling point.

It's not funny and brilliantly written like the originals, using the VATS system is like cheating, and there's something terribly rigid about a game that is TRYING to be so lifelike... you don't walk or run... it feels like you're kind of hovering instead... (a known gripe in Oblivion) everything just behaves so... scripted and prescribed and it's left nothing to the imagination.

I loved the originals. But I actually don't quite understand why so many people like the newer series.

hyker

Feb 2, 2010
tetris, I mean COMON it's so unrealistic, it's not even falling the way normal blocks would

okay, seriously, dragon age, with the exception of baldurs gate, i played ALL bioware rpgs, but dragon age is (in contrast) just boring, repetetive and doesn't have one haracter that can be cared about, or just simply interesting enough apart from some npcs

but it seems like I'm alone with this

meowchef

Oct 15, 2009
Fallout 3
Bioshock
Halo CE
Halo 2
Halo 3
Halo ODST
Halo Reach
Call of Duty Black Ops
Warcraft
Starcraft

Continuity

May 20, 2010
bulldogftw said:
Call of Duty: Black Ops. The best call of duty game? No that would be number 4.
No that would be number 2

hyker said:
okay, seriously, dragon age, with the exception of baldurs gate, i played ALL bioware rpgs, but dragon age is (in contrast) just boring, repetetive and doesn't have one character that can be cared about, or just simply interesting enough apart from some npcs

but it seems like I'm alone with this
You most certainly are not alone sir! Dragon age is mind numbing tripe in comparison to baldurs gate, the plot is thin, totally unoriginal and apparent in its entirety from pretty much the first 1/2 hours play.. AND (yes theres an and) the RPG mechanics suck big hairy donkey balls, mostly because there is so little choice (for an RPG) and what there is is pretty insipid and bland. DAO is without a doubt the most over hyped RPG in the history of gaming and is possibly the worst RPG i've ever played (unless you care to count jade Empire though that's more of a hack n'slash IMO), and i've been playing RPGs since the early 90's.

Aiden_the-Joker1

Apr 21, 2010
Little Big Planet. I despise this game. Nearly everyone I meet talks about how this is an amazing game and when I ask them why they usually give the responses because it is really colourful and creative, you get to create your own levels or because it is cute. Sadly just because the environment can be made of anything doesn't make the levels fun. I just get bored with the plain boring platforming, the gameplay is boring. Finally I cannot be bothered making a level, I want levels made for me. If you build it then it won't be any fun to play. End rant.

Vibhor

Aug 4, 2010
I would say deus ex.
Of course it was revolutionary for its time and stuff but most certainly not the best PC game.
Fanboys really need to stick their heads out of 2000 and look at what 2010 has to offer.
There are plenty of games that blow deus ex apart to pieces.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
The Metal Gear Solid series. Don't get me wrong, MGS1 was fun and had an okay story. Then I played MGS2, which was fun but had a unbelievably retarded story. It's rare that a game with decent or better gameplay can scare me off by offering an awful plot, but that's what happened. Especially since MGS4 is mostly cutscenery. Found myself agreeing with Yahtzee's column about Hideo Kojima having some weird issues with women as well.

adrian_exec said:
Blitzwarp said:
I liked Portal, but the HL games themselves just leave me for dead and I'd rather play Unreal or Quake. =/
Well when it comes to multiplayer, Half-Life does indeed suck.
Well, Half-Life spawned Counter-Strike 1.6, which is still my favorite online FPS.

I know it's not technically a part of Half-Life itself, but it's free if you have the HL1 disc.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
There are a lot of us who hate Half Life. We just get drowned out by the screaming Valve fanboys.

IvoryTowerGamer

Feb 24, 2011
Blitzwarp said:
IvoryTowerGamer said:
Blitzwarp said:
Yeah. I'm one of those rare, rare, rare individuals who just doesn't get the hype around the Half Life games. I liked Portal, but the HL games themselves just leave me for dead and I'd rather play Unreal or Quake. =/
Just OOC, what don't you like? The shooting mechanics? The story?
The story is a large part of it. I guess I'm a big science fiction fan, but one who likes her games and movies to be set faraway in space with some gritty marines and their spaceship, not in some Orwellian concentration centre on Earth. Even if said-concentration-camp is staffed by face-hugging aliens. The shooting mechanics are second - I like to have a vast array of guns which I can break out in different situations, not a few weapons that are slowly built up over time. And thirdly is just the pace - too slow. I can get why people like Half Life, I just don't like it myself.
Ah, that's understandable then. HL is pretty much the polar opposite of the other games you mentioned (even though they are all FPS games), so I totally get why you wouldn't like it.

Nigh Invulnerable

Jan 5, 2009
Akukaishi said:
I loathe WoW. Granted, this more or less makes me a gaming pariah, but, eh.
I'm not sure where you get that idea. Tons of us don't like WoW. Remember, you are never "the only one".

OT: I too have never really caught Half-Life fever despite its prevalence here on the boards.

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
I personally don't feel that either Portal or Shadow of the Colossus were as great as people make them out to be. Sure, they're decent games, but one had fairly simple puzzles (up until the escape, at least), and the other had fairly unresponsive controls and a world that just felt unfinished. I would also say Half-Life 2, but I haven't really given it a fair chance yet.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
bulldogftw said:
Call of Duty: Black Ops. The best call of duty game? No that would be number 4.
Totally agreed. But then, so do a lot of people on Escapist.
So, as well, I'll mention Dead Space.
The weird thing is, I like the game. It's not survival horror by any stretch, but it's fun, has good atmosphere when there aren't any monsters around, when there are monsters combat and gameplay work well, there's a lot of originality (I especially love the little path laser). Despite all this, it just won't draw me in. I think it may be the story that may as well not be there... I'll see it in my Steam list, realise I haven't played it in a week or so, launch it, play for maybe an hour or so, until something else comes up, then I forget about it again. It's a little frustrating. I'll certainly finish it sometime, and maybe a little later It'll be more involving for me.
Who knows. I enjoy the game while playing, then instantly forget it.

Continuity

May 20, 2010
SIXVI06-M said:
I loved the originals. But I actually don't quite understand why so many people like the newer series.
Unfortunately I think its simply that years of unoriginal games have lowered expectations, having said that I don't think FO3 is a bad game at all, it just could of been so much better if it had the flavour of the original series.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
I don't get/like Mass Effect, Battle Field Bad Company 2, Half-life series, and I still don't get why people think BOPs is better than MW2.