I hate to be the guy, but why the hate for COD?

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
Coldster said:
bombadilillo said:
It is so wildly popular that other games try to copy it and bring down other series. Thats why its hated. If it existed as its own entity not affecting the gaming world, it would just be disliked or ignored.

Specific issues.

Yearly rehash akin to madden roster update.
Short singleplayer what clearly shows the game emphesises multiplayer
Incomprehesable story.

I'm sure there are more.
For one thing, Treyarch and Infinity Ward take turns releasing a game every 2 years (CoD2-Infinity Ward, CoD3-Treyarch, CoD4-Infinity Ward, etc). Also, so what if it emphesises multiplayer more than single player? I don't even think thats what they're doing but it seems to be a popular response so here is my rebuttal: Great games like TF2 emphesise solely multiplayer and it does it very well (like CoDs but without the cheap weapons), it does not receive any harassment for it. People may be thinking "but it ONLY does multiplayer and therefore doesn't have to waste resources on single-player!" and to those think that, yes your right, now go read my post again because your getting the wrong idea. I really don't understand your third point because they specifically spend a point in each game explaining the plot so that even cavemen could understand it.
I would rather they didnt make a SP at all LIKE TF2 then to make a short subpar one.

And what part or torturing someone till till the say "Lulz I'm on your side!" and then fights with you and you trust him makes any sense at all? EAT GLASS *****. Heres a gun, go hog wild!

And if 2 companies made Madden every other year with the same engine it is stil just a roster update.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
same game rehashed with different skins
terrible plot
terrible gameplay
pushing game towards the wrong direction
Activision treats their employees and customers like shit
it has that annoying sound design where the guns sound like squeeky toys
the maps sucks for 18 players
killstreak awards are just a flawed idea that ruins gameplay
the other player tend to be annoying
i want to use skill and tactics not run and gun and spray and pray
characters are annoying and unlikeable and one dimensional
battlefield and halo has done everything it has done not only first, but better
no vehicles
the custom-ability is either redundant or in most cases has very little to no difference
i get the impression it's pretentious
its the video game equivalent of a michael bay film
ect.

Dr Jones

Join the Bob Dylan Fangroup!
Jun 23, 2010
weker said:
because; its focus on games design is addictive qualities to the extreme/ bland ideas/ rinse and repeat production/ spreads to the rest of the industry creating huge obstacles/ has an awful fan base which infects other games (note brink eg its not COD its AWFUL!!!!)
Now i own Brink, it was fun for aboot 6 hours, but i'd take COD over Brink any day. Because where COD can atleast get a decent multiplayer up and running, Brink crashes and burns.

taciturnCandid

Dec 1, 2010
I don't hate COD, I just find it incredibly boring and frustrating. Oh wait, I hate PLAYING CoD.

Edit. I actually like the single player campaigns. The multiplayer makes me hate even touching the game. It ruins the single player for me. Bloody stupid twitch shooters

devotedsniper

Dec 28, 2010
I somewhat enjoy the call of dutys, i do like there single players (there more of a distaction while i wait for something better), but there extremely short (my usual finish time for a COD game is around 6 hours, and thats without really trying, most other games take me at least 10 hours if not double that).

I know what your gonna say "but what about the multiplayer????", well lets just say this the most multiplayer i ever play is co-op with my friends since i'm so fed up with all the little kids you find online, so the multiplayer doesn't really effect me.

weker

May 27, 2009
Dr Jones said:
weker said:
because; its focus on games design is addictive qualities to the extreme/ bland ideas/ rinse and repeat production/ spreads to the rest of the industry creating huge obstacles/ has an awful fan base which infects other games (note brink eg its not COD its AWFUL!!!!)
Now i own Brink, it was fun for aboot 6 hours, but i'd take COD over Brink any day. Because where COD can atleast get a decent multiplayer up and running, Brink crashes and burns.
ummm okay yes brink does have that issue, however like i was saying Brink its attacked by a fair amount of players for not being COD or that type of shooter.

JayDig

Jun 28, 2008
I think many 'serious' gamers resent the massive economic impact the yearly blockbusters have on more 'artistic' releases.

Personally, I am a huge fan of CoD1/United Offensive. UO's multiplayer in particular, it brought the CoD formula to huge open tactical maps, with vehicles and objective based play. Buuut.. the UO expansion wasn't made by Infintiy Ward, so say goodbye to all that good stuff..

CoD2 was released and the MP had reverted to rapid respawn killbox maps. I played the epic campaign about fifty times, but the online felt like it had devolved.

I have paid for every CoD title released for PC and will continue to do so, but mostly just for the campaign. To my single player viewpoint, it's not CoD4 multiplayer repeated for four years(even if it is), it's episodic gaming!, with a new crazy action movie to play every fall.

But until they concentrate on co-op (other than stupid zombie mode) I couldn't care less about CoD MP. World at War had a co-op campaign, but that was devolved out from it's sequel as well, though I can't imagine Black Ops being any more buggy and crash-tastic than it already is.

MW3's Spec Ops doesn't seem to be making huge leaps in co-op either, they've added a ubiquitous horde/survival/not-zombie mode but.. meh. Spec Ops could be a standalone co-op game without competitive MP, or update the previous year's MP as a bonus disc like HaloODST/Halo3, and.. um.. actually admit that it's the same game from last year.

I wish I could just buy the campaign half of the game.

MGlBlaze

Oct 28, 2009
arc1991 said:
Since Cod4, it's just been the same game with different maps and Graphics, and arguably better multiplayer.

I have hopes for MW3, But then again i did with Black Ops, and i got bored of that after a few months.
I got bored of Black Ops shortly after I finished the single-player.

CoD4 was the only one I liked. I heard that either 2 or 3 was meant to be good, too, but I never played the earlier games, so I don't know.

lemby117

Apr 16, 2009
I dont hate i'm just tired of it, I bthink that cod needs to do what the simpsons should do, go missing for a bit so we can miss it then come back. and Activision can make Fast and Furious games... DONT JUDGE ME :p

Edit: The last good C.O.D game was World at War

Malrock

Dec 18, 2010
I consider myself a hardcore gamer. I Like COD and think it is a well made game (only played PC versions) though I don't play it online anymore. My belief is that (akin to what many have you have said already) it becomes popular to hate on anything that becomes popular....ya know, to show how different you are and such.....

Feralcentaur

Mar 6, 2010
bombadilillo said:
Did you know people hate Jews? They have reasons for this. These reasons are irrational.
If you asked me why people hate Jews and I told you their beliefs.
Really? Godwin's law over Call of Duty? -_-
*ahem*
For pumping out another sequel of it every year with very little new content.
That and they only skill that's required is reflexes and aim with little to no tactics involved and it's still insanely successful and popular despite that while other titles from smaller developers with more creativity put into their work don't make nearly as much and (except for in cases like Minecraft I guess).

Dark Prophet

Jun 3, 2009
Cause it's repetitive and boring ( as a series I mean) , it takes a huge chunk of money out of the industry every fucking year, I mean every fucking year, make something new for change or take a break at least. The single player is too short and the multyplayer is mostly populated with obsessive assholes.

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
Feralcentaur said:
bombadilillo said:
Did you know people hate Jews? They have reasons for this. These reasons are irrational.
Really? Godwin's law over Call of Duty?
*ahem*
That and they only skill that's required is reflexes and aim with little to no tactics involved and it's still insanely successful and popular despite that.
Its nice and morally unambiguous, so good for making analogies. I dont see the problem...

danintexas

Jul 30, 2010
*Disclaimer* I only read the thread title and nothing else

I hate CoD because I compare it to BF 1942 or Starsiege Tribes. I find the games shallow - too easy - and just overall dull. Forcing people into a fixed number of choke points doesn't do much for me.

With that being said - if you like the CoD series - play it - have fun with it. Ignore the haters. It just isn't a series I will invest any cash or time into more than I already have.

Drummie666

Jan 1, 2011
Because I actually think that (out of the two games of the franchise I've played, MW2 and BlOps) they all suck.

Well, the biggest problem I have is that you can't turn the aim assist off. (You can only do so in the BlOps multiplayer, but not the rest of the game. So it doesn't count) That simply fact, to me, means that they are all really bad.

Even without the aim assist, BlOps would still be bad to me. Visually, it's terrible. It looks like everything is covered with a layer of mud, so there's no real variety in colour. The audio is awful, almost all the weapons sound the same. The maps are all the same kind of CQB fight, so it lacks much replayability. The actual gameplay's fine, but with all the other problems making the game impossible to get into, that means fuck all.

I'll give you that MW2 would actually be an above average game if you could turn off the aim assist. But you can't. So it isn't.

Oh, and the single player on both of them are short and tedious.

Feralcentaur

Mar 6, 2010
bombadilillo said:
Feralcentaur said:
bombadilillo said:
*ahem*
That and they only skill that's required is reflexes and aim with little to no tactics involved and it's still insanely successful and popular despite that.
Its nice and morally unambiguous, so good for making analogies. I dont see the problem...
You're pretty much comparing someone to Hitler for disagreeing with you on the internet over a Video Game, do you really require an in depth explanation of why that's so ridiculous?

bombadilillo

Jan 25, 2011
Feralcentaur said:
bombadilillo said:
Feralcentaur said:
bombadilillo said:
*ahem*
You're pretty much comparing someone to Hitler for disagreeing with you on the internet over a Video Game, do you really require an in depth explanation of why that's so ridiculous?
I didnt compare him to Hitler at all. In fact if you read the quote you might see that he is specificly not Hitler in the analogy. He is somone making a thread asking why people hate jews. So thanks jumping to point out Godwins Law before you bothered to examine the quote!

Cheers.

Feralcentaur

Mar 6, 2010
bombadilillo said:
Feralcentaur said:
bombadilillo said:
Feralcentaur said:
bombadilillo said:
*ahem*
I didnt compare him to Hitler at all. In fact if you read the quote you might see that he is specificly not Hitler in the analogy. He is somone making a thread asking why people hate jews. So thanks jumping to point out Godwins Law before you bothered to examine the quote!

Cheers.
I said "pretty much" rather than "exactly" did I not? And I didn't say you were calling him just like Hitler, I said you were comparing him to Hitler you silly goose.