I hate to be the guy, but why the hate for COD?

Dalek Caan

Pro-Dalek, Anti-You
Feb 12, 2011
People will always hate things. Then of course other people, the idiots, will jump on the bandwagon to be cool. Personally I have nothing against the Cod series. The story has been good to me so far.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
it has led to the stagnation of FPS,s (thanks to COD a majority of the FPS,s released today copied the "realistic" shooter setting) it also is notorious for it,s online fanbase.

Dr Jones

Join the Bob Dylan Fangroup!
Jun 23, 2010
I dunno about other people but I am personally bored to tears by real world military engagements. The camo, the mechanical guns and the depressingly sparse environments just don't do it for me.

Shadu

Nov 10, 2010
I dislike it because I dislike first person and/or realistic shooters. No other reason. If I liked shooters, I might like CoD.

TheCrapMaster

Aug 31, 2009
I dont realy hate the game but i dont like it because its succesfull. And because it is game producers compare their games with CoD = most FPS games nowadays are pretty much the same and pretty bland, regenetiv health, no mix of monsters and human opponents, not the real fast old FPS games like half life and unreal etc. So i kinda think they abit "killed" the old way of FPS games.True there have been some games like crysis and team fortress 2, but CoD and battlefield are the games that producers aim for.
I liked CoD, tho i dont see the charm with basicly playing the same game but with a new title each year. Tho im just a old grump who just miss the old days of hectic running, health and armor, strafing and rocket jumps :p

weker

May 27, 2009
Dr Jones said:
Title pretty much says it all... Why is COD so incredibly hated (well among people who probably would consider themselves "hardcore gamers")? I mean, i aint no fan of COD, i've tried every single game, but i just feel that by Black Ops, it's kind of just the same..
But my hate is no way near the amounts that pretty much every gaming forum has for COD, and i never really understood it..

So yeah.. Why the immense hate for one of the best selling videogame franchises ever?
because; its focus on games design is addictive qualities to the extreme/ bland ideas/ rinse and repeat production/ spreads to the rest of the industry creating huge obstacles/ has an awful fan base which infects other games (note brink eg its not COD its AWFUL!!!!)

Khronas

Jun 1, 2011
Many reasons first it's the most popular fps right now, Second it has a massive gamer demographic its a safe bet that some archetype of player you dislike is playing it and thirdly generations of people have tried to be "cool" by disliking the current flavor of the month while popularising the next big thing, I belive you call them "hipsters".

Edit: Watch last weeks Jimquisition he sums up the issue rather well.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
nothing new since cod4.
unlockables and killstreaks moved FPS away from twitchy triggerfinger skills in order to better cater to an audience who just want to be rewarded for playing.

also military shooters have 4 kinds of gun: assault rifles, shotguns, pistols and sniper rifles. Thats it, every weapon is one of those and the only difference is in stats. I liked the time when a game had 9 weapons that were really unique. I happen to like guns that shoot toxic waste and sticky bombs.

CRAVE CASE 55

Jan 2, 2009
I can understand some of it, While I do respect and thank Treyarch for the time they put into Black Ops they royal fucked it up. Half the weapons were not invented by the time it is set, most notably the AK-74. 74 stands for something, and this weapon is the most inbalanced thing I've ever seen and is so spammed online its almost not fun. I'm a CoD fanboy and I love all the games equaly for story and multiplayer, but I'm having high hopes for MW3 even though it wont be the same with out the 2 creators of MW

Pyrosomniac

Mar 17, 2011
Alright, I've always wanted to say my opinion of the Call of Duty series, so buckle up, because this will probably be a long read. TL;DR is at the bottom.

Since the start of the Call of Duty franchise, I never payed it much attention. The World War 2 story had been told to death, and I wasn't about to consider playing another shooter in the same era. It was only until Modern Warfare came around that I really cared.

I played Modern Warfare on my very old PC at the time, and it looked... pretty horrifying, but it ran and I didn't care. I sunk my teeth into the single player, and I was met with some rather intense gameplay. For one, the protagonist wasn't American, which was what really absorbed me into Soap's campaign. It was something I had wanted in a shooter for ages, a chance of pace and character. It was a good campaign, albeit really really short. Then, I sank my teeth into the multiplayer, which didn't work out as well. The loading times were fairly crap so I ended up joining maps a minute or two after they started. It was all fine though, but in terms of challenges and unlocks, it was nicely balanced. Not too many, not too few, and it was fairly fast paced, but not overbearing.

Then World at War came out.

This was the second CoD game I had bought. I went into this expecting too much. The singleplayer was... playable, but it failed to hold any emotional significance like Modern Warfare had done so neatly. It felt bland. It felt like everything had to be worked towards. Work you way up the beach, work your way up to the bunkers, work your way up to the building, work work work! And the multiplayer didn't hold up too great either! If you're not a fan of killing zombies, all that was left was co-op through uninspiring single player levels, or multiplayer which was comprised of more challenges, but with weapons that felt... meh. They felt boring, and underpowered. Sure you had a flamethrower, but just because it was violent doesn't mean it was fun. It was just one of those niche weapons you had to use every second mission. The perks also felt too bloated, like there were too many to choose from, with too many filling niches that you would have to be psychic to know when to use.

World at War came and went, and then we had Modern Warfare 2. This was one of the first games I bought with my PS3, and still the one that still gets some play time from me. The levels were varied and well designed with fun in mind. I'll admit, I played the first two missions with a bit of a worried look. It did feel a bit crap to start, as I had flashbacks of the rather linear parts and standoffs from World at War. That quickly disappeared once I got out of the school however. The game lived off the dramatic and often varied scenarios it threw you. From stealth operations, to shooting a crowd of civilians in an airport terminal. It wanted the player to be switching between different, very varied emotional states at once. World at War felt like "Yeah, lets burn some japs!" (I apologize if that's offensive, but that's what I felt World at War conveyed), compared to Modern Warfare 2's "Oh dear god! I have to... I'm going to have to... Oh jesus christ!" and it wanted you to be saying Oh Shit! the entire time! The multiplayer this time around boasted a good few improvements to the multiplayer. Challenge numbers were increased dramatically, but you felt rewarded for completing them, just to hear that metal riff play when you did! The weapons were expansive, possibly too expansive, but it was great to choose what you wanted with so many play styles. The maps are great, all of which focus on a set piece and have varied gameplay (The crashed plane in Afghan is a great example, as you could hide inside it, and interact with it). All the maps had this, and it made each and every one individual.

And my opinion of Black Ops, seeing as there's a free multiplayer weekend on? (I wrote this somewhere else, so I just copy-pasted it over)

I'm after downloading the thing, and it's taken me all of an hour to realize it is terrible! The maps are horrid and have no flow whatsoever. Routes commonly end up at a dead end, or with only one direction to go. Most of them are cramped corridors, or are so open there's no cover. The setpieces are missing which makes maps very hard to focus on. All the colours are washed out, so it really gives that brown'n'bloom feeling way too much. I'll admit MW2 had this a bit as well, but it still varied those shades of brown.

The weapons sound like cap guns. There's no power in them, no recoil, most of them feel like they were modeled on plastic toys. The perks are unimaginative and boring, some even being direct copy and pastes from previous games, and some being direct copy and pastes while taking some of the original functionality away! Killstreaks are bland, and what sounds awesome at first (attack dogs) end up being really cheap and not very fun for the victim.

Finally, all sense of accomplishment is gone as you buy your equipment through CodPoints which you earn through play. They're fairly easy to acquire, but the only gating towards buying anything is a level limit. And it's only ever used on weapons. Once you have the weapon, you can buy all the attachments straight off. It's not fun, It's not rewarding, and it's not pleasant to look at.

So, why do I hate Call of Duty and it's fanbase? Because as soon as I booted up a Black Ops server I encountered a hacker, was called all manner of racial slurs, homosexual slurs, gloating, and witnessed myself dying 30 times in just over a minute.

TL;DR: I don't hate the games, just the abusive fanbase. Call of Duty only gets hate because of them.

Coldster

Oct 29, 2010
bombadilillo said:
It is so wildly popular that other games try to copy it and bring down other series. Thats why its hated. If it existed as its own entity not affecting the gaming world, it would just be disliked or ignored.

Specific issues.

Yearly rehash akin to madden roster update.
Short singleplayer what clearly shows the game emphesises multiplayer
Incomprehesable story.

I'm sure there are more.
For one thing, Treyarch and Infinity Ward take turns releasing a game every 2 years (CoD2-Infinity Ward, CoD3-Treyarch, CoD4-Infinity Ward, etc). Also, so what if it emphesises multiplayer more than single player? I don't even think thats what they're doing but it seems to be a popular response so here is my rebuttal: Great games like TF2 emphesise solely multiplayer and it does it very well (like CoDs but without the cheap weapons), it does not receive any harassment for it. People may be thinking "but it ONLY does multiplayer and therefore doesn't have to waste resources on single-player!" and to those think that, yes your right, now go read my post again because your getting the wrong idea. I really don't understand your third point because they specifically spend a point in each game explaining the plot so that even cavemen could understand it.

LC Wynter

Jun 13, 2010
Because it's popular.

Also because it's rubbish!
TEE HEE, BASHING A GAME WITHOUT EXPLAINING MY HATRED IS SUCH FUN

inFAMOUSCowZ

Jul 12, 2010
Because we're tired of the lack of innovation. Sure the games are fun but after the 6 hour long single player you have online. I love online and the CoD games ( though I do prefer single player games) but why spend another 60 on a game that will play the same as the one before. I have black ops and see no reason to pick up Modern Warfare 3. Now not much has been shown yet, but I want some true game changing things in the game. The survive mode and spec ops sound fun, but will it worth it for just those add ons.

Teh Ty

Sep 10, 2008
1. The fanbase
2. the ability to be good at the game without doing much in the game itself.

exessmirror

Apr 26, 2011
one word bro, realism.
it isnt realistic at all, even the setting is out of place
i hate only black ops cuz they fucked up the setting and style.

Kreka_X

Jan 31, 2011
Because to me it represents everything going wrong with console gaming.

e.g. Overpriced/Multiplayer DLC, recycled content, yearly releases, etc...

It also doesn't help that what was an established PC series which helped make it what it is today is giving the original fans a sound kicking in the face and that a lot of multiplayer games try to copy it

Don't get me wrong, there well made, solid shooters which are easily enjoyable. But they don't push for anything new in the genre and Activision love to bleed every penny possible out of there fans. There attitude is... blergh.

FallenRainbows

Feb 22, 2009
While I accept the merits of it's play style it doesn't suit me thus I dislike it.
While I accept its right to exist its existence irritates me due to the fall-out effect of COD players migrating to other games thus dumbing down the online experience.
While I accept the game industry is a business its marketisation earns my disdain because (arguably) the best online FPS series; Battlefield.

On that note, if BF3 is treated the same as its ridiculous PR and is designed to 'kill COD' and thus follows a similar game-style, I will be angry at EA & DICE, I'm already mad that 2142 hasn't been expanded or released on consoles.

(imo, 2142 is the best Battlefield game, by far closely followed by 1942, followed by BF2, BF:BC 2 & 1 and tailed by the limping BF:MC)

Jun 11, 2008
It has just stagnated and side stepped and become an unbalanced piece of shit since CoD 4. Also the whole dedicated server shit they have been pulling recently as well as lack of lean.