I hate youtube for this... (fellow metalheads/TRUE rockers, you know what im talking about)

Murais

Sep 11, 2007
I used to be a huge metalhead. And while I do still enjoy popping in an Amon Amarth or Dark Tranquility CD and rawking out, my tastes have shifted. For the reasons that the OP stated he likes metal, I've switched to classical. There is really no other genre of music on the planet to have as many transcendental masterpieces than classical, and almost every modern genre of music finds its roots in classical.

Want real emotion, passion, and skill? I'll take Mozart and even neo-classical like Die Verbannten Kinder Evas over Metallica any day. ANY DAY.

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
AugustFall said:
You make me ashamed to like metal.

What makes me rage is "metal heads" such as yourself spouting nonsense about music and skill. If you actually wrote music you would know that skill doesn't have anything to do with writing good music.

yeah, gonna go listen to some music I enjoy. Not "real" music, just music that I personally enjoy.

Edit: It's kind of funny that you rage at them pigeon holing your favorite music but you are just as quick to pigeon hole theirs.
Basically, this.
Shut up and let people enjoy their music. I mean, I'm not a fan of screamo/grindcore/metalcore/whatevercore/death/doom metal, but I still enjoy metal/rock music (Stuff like Judas Priest, Iron Maiden etc.), yet I don't go around screaming that they are more skilled and therefore inherently better than whatever bands you listen to? And what the flying fuck is so bad about having a varied taste in music?

You piss me off, you and most of the other "TRUE rockers" and "metalheads" out there. Liking metal does not make you superior.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
hvitulf said:
Don't hate people for their ignorance, it only makes them more resolved to be ignorant. If approached appropriately, most people would likely listen to a sound argument about something like this. Ignorance is easy to fix if the ignorant are willing to listen. Oh, and no, just because they're ignorant doesn't make them belligerent or stupid, unfortunately, that is a common stereotype that ignorance has gained, because the belligerent and stupid are often the loudest of the ignorant.
ok you are asking us to consider ignorant people to be open minded, lol well done

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
There is a glaring problem with this rant: The venue in question is YouTube. I am not exaggerating when I posit that the people who comment on (and by extension, upload) YouTube videos are quite possibly the stupidest people in existence. YouTube is a vast seething morass of idiots, united together into a gestalt force of stupidity, capable of generating previously inconceivable amounts of idiocy as a result of this unholy union.

The point I'm making is that YouTube is chock full of idiots, if you somehow didn't pick up on that.

Getting mad at anything people on YouTube do is giving them entirely more credit than they actually merit - it is best to simply shake ones head and feel shame that you share a species with those 'intellectuals'.

Also getting mad at stupid stupid idiots for misidentifying genres of music is a silly thing to do; it also overlooks the tendency for any given genre of music to be 'defined' - in the eyes of the ignorant - by the very worst examples. People who claim to hate metal invariably pick the sub-genres that least resemble music as their justification (with the insinuation that all metal sounds exactly like that), people who say they hate pop pick the most obnoxious crap imaginable as their example, etc - the lesson here is that people who make sweeping generalizations about subjective mediums most likely don't give a crap. So neither should you.

Also referring to yourself as a TRUE [metalhead, rocker, etc] has the unfortunate side effect of making everyone take you less seriously, and the people who enjoy the music you're defending just find you embarrassing.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Zekksta said:
Yeah, I have a few idiots who blast cannibal corpse at work everyday and rage when we turn it off.

I don't care if you like KCRC, Queen, Eminem or Lady Gaga.

If you're playing music at work that disturbs people, no matter what genre it is, turn it off and stop being a whiny ***** about it and grow up.

OT: The hypocrisy in the OP is just hilarious, but aside from that I agree it must be annoying to have something put in the wrong genre.
i never said i "blast" anything, and it only disturbs people when they are too wrapped up their own opinions to care, i dont get disturbed when they put on whatever music i dont happen to like.

if it hits the fan and im suddenly busy, then i completely ignore everything else, i cant say the same about MOST not all, people at work. but theres always at least one.

Random berk

Sep 1, 2010
Surely any band or singer that use real instruments and their own voice play real music, compared to certain people who have never strummed or sang an unenhanced chord in their life? I don't like heavy metal, but I know it takes at least as much talent as hard, glam or classic rock.

As a matter of interest, how many people here prefer classical music to anything modern?

monkey jesus said:
left-leg humping dinosaur fuck
Nice one man.

bak00777

Oct 3, 2009
woh woh woh, are there really people out there labeling my favorite band, The Who, as screamo... That is fucking retarded. I dont go on youtube, for other reasons, but if they are doing that, someone should stop it.

im at 7/10

Nifty

Sep 30, 2008
Azaraxzealot said:
EDIT: Before anyone goes off and yells at me for being "ignorant" and biased. What I'm getting mad about is how my genre is being confused with other genres that i hate. It would be like if people said "Shadow of the Collosus is stupid because its just walking around and jumping on shit." that would make any gamer mad, right? I just dont like people being ignorant and mixing up Rock and Metal with Screamo/Emo creatures is all, and that's what this rant is about.

do you, fellow metalheads and even just people who appreciate music that requires SKILL to play (like classic rock such as The Who and ZZ Top), hate that our music is ALL being pidgeon-holed by youtube as "screamo"?

seriously, you ask anyone who's into pop music about what they think of rock and they'll say "it's just people screaming."

on a scale of 1-10, how high is your rage over this? im seriously at 11 right now, pushing 12 because the youtube generation is growing up thinking anything that's not processed bullshit like anything on Wild 94.9 or that isn't Lady Gaga or Justin Bieber is simply Emo/Screamo crap.

Off-topic: yeah, i know i have another thread here, but my rage at this was just provoked when i saw a video that said "Miley Cirus Screamo Version" or something like that and i listened to it and it was ACTUALLY GRINDCORE! THERE'S A HUGE FUCKING DIFFERENCE PEOPLE! IN TERMS OF SKILL REQUIRED AND STYLE! DON'T YOU EVER MIX GRINDCORE AND DEATH METAL UP WITH PUSSY BULLSHIT LIKE FALLOUT BOY OR MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE OR AFI!

/rant
It's stuff like this that makes me dislike metal fans.

Much like rabid gamers, when ever someone comes along who doesn't understand your medium you embark on a vile hate campaign. You're so elitist and cliquey that rather than inform and correct someone on their ignorance and show them the virtues and differences of metal and it's myriad sub-genres, you just scream at them to fuck off which, contrary to popular belief, makes you the aggressor.

Malkavian

Jan 22, 2009
Azaraxzealot said:
I listen to a lot of metal. Maiden, Judas Priest, Megadeth, Annihilator, you name it.

I don't give a crap what people think metal is. That doesn't change what metal is or how good it is. I don't like any Screamo, but I won't discount it as a genre. There are good and bad bands in every genre, and I generally find that if you really listen, then you should be able to enjoy most genres. I have Lily Allen records standing just beside my Libertines records, which again are right next to my Konkhra records.

Anyway... What people think about metal is not our problem. Let them think what they want, why should we care? I can see THAT you are angry, I can see what you are angry about, I just understand WHY you are angry about it. What does it honestly matter?

Nifty said:
Much like rabid gamers, when ever someone comes along who doesn't understand your medium you embark on a vile hate campaign. You're so elitist and cliquey that rather than inform and correct someone on their ignorance and show them the virtues and differences of metal and it's myriad sub-genres, you just scream at them to fuck off which, contrary to popular belief, makes you the aggressor.
Heyhey, we are not all like that. Just the loud ones.

Estelindis

Jan 25, 2008
I can't really get upset about such attitudes because I was just as ignorant before I was introduced to actual metal. The ideas I had about it beforehand were utter nonsense: "it's just noise, not music" and other such clichés. I think the best way to respond is to show people just how melodic and skillful metal often is. Then they can enjoy it too, like me. :)

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
You're suggesting ZZ Top is difficult? It's not, as much as I love it. Music doesn't need much technical skill to be great.

But after youtube being around for so long, have you not done as I have done and become devoid of emotion whilst reading the comments? Unless it's a bunch of people going "this is fucking awesome!" (like all of Black Spiders' videos. If you haven't noticed, I'm completely in love with this band), I won't get involved or even care.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Not enraged in the slightest. That would be like me getting enraged at someone not being able to tell between Classical, Romantic Era and Baroque music. They don't really want to know, so I don't feel the need to tell them.

Polock

Jan 23, 2010
DonMartin said:
Polock said:
Silly rockers.

Ska is where its at. Amirite?

Guys?...guys?

....Ska isn't dead...

: / ..

FOREVER ALONE.
When it comes to ska...

FOREVER TROMBONE.
Ok seriously. I was not expected this much Ska support when I posted this. YAY! =D