I hate youtube for this... (fellow metalheads/TRUE rockers, you know what im talking about)

Iron Mal

Jun 4, 2008
Azaraxzealot said:
EDIT: Before anyone goes off and yells at me for being "ignorant" and biased. What I'm getting mad about is how my genre is being confused with other genres that i hate. It would be like if people said "Shadow of the Collosus is stupid because its just walking around and jumping on shit." that would make any gamer mad, right? I just dont like people being ignorant and mixing up Rock and Metal with Screamo/Emo creatures is all, and that's what this rant is about.

do you, fellow metalheads and even just people who appreciate music that requires SKILL to play (like classic rock such as The Who and ZZ Top), hate that our music is ALL being pidgeon-holed by youtube as "screamo"?

seriously, you ask anyone who's into pop music about what they think of rock and they'll say "it's just people screaming."

on a scale of 1-10, how high is your rage over this? im seriously at 11 right now, pushing 12 because the youtube generation is growing up thinking anything that's not processed bullshit like anything on Wild 94.9 or that isn't Lady Gaga or Justin Bieber is simply Emo/Screamo crap.

Off-topic: yeah, i know i have another thread here, but my rage at this was just provoked when i saw a video that said "Miley Cirus Screamo Version" or something like that and i listened to it and it was ACTUALLY GRINDCORE! THERE'S A HUGE FUCKING DIFFERENCE PEOPLE! IN TERMS OF SKILL REQUIRED AND STYLE! DON'T YOU EVER MIX GRINDCORE AND DEATH METAL UP WITH PUSSY BULLSHIT LIKE FALLOUT BOY OR MY CHEMICAL ROMANCE OR AFI!

/rant
Wow...just...wow...

Me thinks that someone needs a chill pill, stat!

People disagree with you or don't like your taste in music, sad and life changingly traumatic as that is you'll just have to deal with it (how many people do you think I have to deal with who think games are just glorified kids toys? It's annoying but raging over it would just sink me down to their level and make me fufil their stereotype).

As a 'fellow metal head' who has listened to a variety of different genres (more than I can recall at present) I can quite safely say that to an 'outsider' or 'dabbler', different genres are pretty easy to mix up (my girlfriend had to explain the differences between Deathcore and Metalcore to me on more than three occasions before I finally got it).

If you don't like the pop stereotype of us then just respond with the stereotype of them (namely the one about most of them not having had their balls dropped yet and how they sell out to Diet Cola and are souless creations of reccord companies placed upon this earth to doom mankind, starting with the children...too far?).

Fusionxl

Oct 25, 2009
What annoys me far more than silly people confusing genres on the internet is seeing stupid 'thumbs up if you hate Justin Bieber' comments in every single God forsaken music video.

PayneTrayne

Filled with ReLRRgious fervor.
Dec 17, 2009
Polock said:
Silly rockers.

Ska is where its at. Amirite?

Guys?...guys?

....Ska isn't dead...

: / ..

FOREVER ALONE.
Ska had three waves before it died? Streetlight Manifesto shall live forever in our hearts.

OT: As has been said for a majority of the first page, no you. I don't care about genre, I care about what sounds good. The fact that you rage so much over this actually makes me want to fuck up the genres just to see someone asplode in real life. But I've never heard of someone saying Rock was all screaming, I've heard people say that about Metal, but not rock. Also understanding is subjective, my one friend claims that "He has a trained metal ear", you shouldn't have to be trained to enjoy a song's lyrics.

Wardnath

Dec 27, 2009
Black metal fan here.

OP, seriously, get over yourself. If you're listening to metal and only metal, and declaring it to be the pinnacle of today's music, you've more problems than they.

Besides, it's fucking YouTube. Is anyone here really surprised?
Slim-Shot said:
I reckon Disturbed is the best Metal Band.
Oh, and this too. :D

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
Well...I´m pretty fond of metal, but i consider my taste in music to be pretty eclectic.
So no, it doesn´t bother me at all.

verdanthat

Nov 1, 2010
i used to be a "metalhead" and a "true rocker"
then as i started getting older, i realized that most metal sounds the same. Low repetitive notes with unremarkable breakdowns.
branch out into other music, stop worrying about genres. i never thought i would get into post hardcore, but i listened to emarosa once and blam. it just depends on how your taste grows.
and i mean, these are some of the artists i like:

The Fall Of Troy (post hardcore/math elements)
Giraffes? Giraffes!(math)
Semiramis(progressive rock)
Mumford And Sons (folk)
Paleo (folk)
Slim Thug (rap)
HORSE The Band(nintendocore, though i really don't like calling them that)

it doesn't matter what genre you listen to, as long as you like it, that's fine, and if other people like something that doesn't agree with you, it isn't the end of the world. people should diversify!

(also i would definitely say that metal is a lot more mainstream than it used to be)

Jonabob87

Jan 18, 2010
legion431 said:
Not raged at all. Just remember this is one of the only few intelligent places on the Internet, and we understand most things unlike most other people. Just let them be ignorant.

EDIT: Okay, not ignorant. Some people just don't understand music they're not familiar with. What's the point of getting angry about some people who don't understand your type of music as well as you do, just let them stick to theirs.
You think the Escapist forum is "One of the only few intelligent places on the internet"? I'd LOL if that didn't make me feel like crying.

The escapist is seen as a wretched hive of scum and villainy, and with good reason.

hvitulf

Feb 17, 2009
Don't hate people for their ignorance, it only makes them more resolved to be ignorant. If approached appropriately, most people would likely listen to a sound argument about something like this. Ignorance is easy to fix if the ignorant are willing to listen. Oh, and no, just because they're ignorant doesn't make them belligerent or stupid, unfortunately, that is a common stereotype that ignorance has gained, because the belligerent and stupid are often the loudest of the ignorant.

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
I don't rage at ignorance.
I just kill them.

my dad thinks Dutch hardcore is the same as metal.

I TOTALLY RAGED AT THAT SHIT!

instantbenz

Pixel Pusher
Mar 25, 2009
Ah, the ignorance of the masses. Isn't it great when you know the difference between a Mucha and a Lautrec, yet people just ball it up into 'that poster art with the wavy lines round people?'

It just comes down to knowing that you know. As long as you know you know, you are good. The sheep and iSlaves who think they know, don't know. And thus, in your mind, just remember that you're better than them.

I also dislike the genre blending that is going on via people who don't know the difference labeling music incorrectly.

Very annoying.

Stalk3rchief

Sep 10, 2008
I do get a bit annoyed, as I am quite partial to technical death metal and all of it's closely related genres. What I hate is how scene kids try and take my music. Whitechapel is not a screamo/douchy scene kid band, it's ab and about brutality and darkness and rape-murdering women and other joyous things, not about wearing my sisters pants trying to act as much like a girl as possible.
/rant

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
That reminds me, this one time, someone called a pair of socks purple, when they were actually lavender! They're so ignorant and offensive!

Nayr

Aug 18, 2010
I know what you are talking about exactly, you always see like justin bieber fans ragging on it and then leaving. I don't really care though because they are actually probably about 10 years old and probably have some severe issues if it makes them feel big when they talk crap on like metal or rock videos. Yeah i agree though that it is a little frustrating that like lady gaga and such are so popular, especially when i do not appreciate their music in the least bit.

Phoenix09215

Dec 24, 2008
AugustFall said:
You make me ashamed to like metal.

What makes me rage is "metal heads" such as yourself spouting nonsense about music and skill. If you actually wrote music you would know that skill doesn't have anything to do with writing good music.

yeah, gonna go listen to some music I enjoy. Not "real" music, just music that I personally enjoy.

Edit: It's kind of funny that you rage at them pigeon holing your favorite music but you are just as quick to pigeon hole theirs.
I could kiss you for this! I totally agree. Theres no doubt that metal takes some skill to play well but compared to a LOT of other music genres its pritty laughable to be honest. Try playing jazz... then you will know what I'm talking about!

monkey jesus

Jan 29, 2009
Who gives a left-leg humping dinosaur fuck about people misusing the name of a genre of music:

wah wah he called my metal grindcore

Stop posting this shit, you'll fill up the internet.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
Ambrose von Carstein said:
Lilani said:
I love Loreena Mckennitt
Then learn to spell her name right.
Um...I did. Perhaps I neglected to capitalize the K, but otherwise my spelling of the name was correct.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
i like all sub genres of rock really, screamo less than others id say, but thats me.

as for how angry i am about the fact that people are ignorant and single minded, id say very, about 8 right now because i get the same response at work, theres only about 4 of us that like metal or screamo or anything thats not rap hip hop or pop or rnb, but the rest of the workers can never stand it when we put our music on the stereo and just complain until we just turn it off, (or until they do out of sheer disrespect), it does annoy me so much.

by the way, in my opinion if you dont like queen then there is something wrong with you :p

sorry about the text wall of rantness