I just finished watching Scott Pilgrim

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
It was okay. Looked nice but... that was pretty much it.

I also can't stand how overrated it is.

Odd because everyone seems to point out how underrated it is despite me hearing nothing but universal praise for it >.>

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
The only criticism I have of it is it's not the comic, but it's damn near the best adaption they could have fit into one film.

Just like Watchmen actually.

Hollock

Jun 26, 2009
Yes, I watched it in theaters, bought the dvd, watched it 3 times, watched the 3 commentary tracks, and bought the awesome box set of the comics, and have the poster that came with it on the wall. I'd give it a 2.5 out of 10

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
Hosker said:
I didn't really like it very much.
Same here. The first half was okay-ish, but the second half became a bit boring. Some good oneliners and okay music, but really not a very good movie IMO.

BrownGaijin

Jan 31, 2009
solidstatemind said:
Honestly? I thought it was an interesting movie, but I really didn't think it was what most everyone in the nerd/geek/gamer crowd tried to make it out to be. (Note that I belong to that demographic myself.)

It was pretty good overall, but there were several times where it seemed like Wright really overdid the whole gaming schtick, or the dialog was lame, and honestly? I think the cinematography was completely bland and uninspired, except for a couple of inventive shots during the fight scenes.

I mean, I don't regret going to see it in the theater (meaning full-price ticket, plus concessions), so it definitely wasn't terrible, but the critics who went gaga over it- like MovieBob, who I believe was so orgasmic over it that he mentioned it in 3 other reviews besides his 'Scott Pilgrim' review- are overselling it a tad.

One caveat tho: the only thing I ever liked Michael Cera in was Arrested Development. That might have something to do with my opinion.
I think we're going to have to agree to disagree then. I really liked the movie, and it's one of those movies that really define (if only a small part) of geek culture. I also think that the video game references were spot on.

What were you expecting the Spanish Inquisition?

OT:

I would give good money to to see a (good) tribute band created, if only to hear this song live:

Arashiofordo3

Mar 19, 2010
Bigsmith said:
Loved it, went to read the manga it was based off.

Love the manga even more.
Its not a manga its a comic book. There is a difference. Sorry to get snobby but calling the comic books 'manga' is like calling Skooby-Do an anime.

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
It's on my Top 5 movies list. I watched it twice in one weekend I thought it was so good.

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
BrownGaijin said:
I think we're going to have to agree to disagree then. I really liked the movie, and it's one of those movies that really define (if only a small part) of geek culture. I also think that the video game references were spot on.

What were you expecting the Spanish Inquisition?

OT:

I would give good money to to see a (good) tribute band created, if only to hear this song
Uhm...

You know, before you can say that "we'll have to agree to disagree", you're really supposed to defend your position, or at least provide examples which you feel disprove my assertions. Otherwise, you're just saying "YOU'RE WRONG BECAUSE I SAID SO", and that really... wouldn't carry much weight with someone who hasn't seen the movie and was soliciting opinions.

What I said: Directing occasionally lacked focus; dialog was occasionally weak; geek meme bits used a little too often (undermining appeal to non-geeks), cinematography was below-average for most of the movie, I didn't like Michael Cera in the lead role (although I admitted that might be more of a personal bias).

What you said: "it's one of those movies that really define (if only a small part) of geek culture" but no explanation how.

and "I'd like to see a real band put together to do a cover of 'Sex Bob-Omb'.

You see what I mean?

Aside from that, I have only one question to level at you: while you mention that it only defines a small part of geek culture, which part would that be? In the movie, they didn't play video games at all, and instead were popular local musicians, who- when they fought- had results that were similar to certain videogames that geeks enjoy.

It was, in other words: the ulimate geek pipe dream, not a 'definition of geek culture'. (if they were playing 8-bit music like Chiptunes or something, I'd be more forgiving.)

Not saying that's a bad thing; just saying, don't make 'Scott Pilgrim' out to be some anthemic movie of geek culture when it would be more honest to say that it was a cash-in on the rising popularity of geek culture.

Anchupom

In it for the Pub Club cookies
Apr 15, 2009
I quote the dvd cover - "prepare to have a new favourite movie."
Yeah.

Anchupom

Apr 15, 2009
BstrdChris said:
Anchupom said:
I quote the dvd cover - "prepare to have a new favourite movie."
Yeah.
i got all prepared for a whole lotta nothin. they actually gave me my money back.
Not a fan then? Every man or woman to his of her own, I guess...

Anchupom

Apr 15, 2009
Arashiofordo3 said:
Bigsmith said:
Loved it, went to read the manga it was based off.

Love the manga even more.
Its not a manga its a comic book. There is a difference. Sorry to get snobby but calling the comic books 'manga' is like calling Skooby-Do an anime.
It's spelt Scooby Doo. And I'll have you know it's an animated artpiece.

[/sarcasm]
;D