I just walked out of a movie for the first time today.

the trooper

Oct 17, 2009
ive never walked out of the cinema, usually because i pay to see it and i dont want to waste my money. if i find it bad, then i wait till the end of the film, then i usually discuss it with whoever i saw it with. thankfuly i havent had a really bad movie experience this year. the only time i do walk out in disgust is if someone is watching a dvd or tv programme i dont like

floppylobster

Oct 22, 2008
Tommy, The Who. There's a scene with Baked Beans and Buttons. I hate both of them so much I can't even look at the screen where I've just typed the words. Needless to say - I walked out.

Dimensional Vortex

Nov 14, 2010
Koroviev said:
Dimensional Vortex said:
Koroviev said:
I've never walked out of a movie as I've rarely been the one footing the bill. However, had it been my money, I would have walked out of the following:

Transformers 2*
Up
Hoodwinked
Toy Story 3
Zombieland
Scott Pilgrim Vs. the World

...There's definitely more, but I can't think of them at the moment. Needless to say, I've all but sworn off American-made animation.

* I did pay for that one; problem is, my friend was my ride home
Wow, what is wrong with those movies? Transformers 2, I will give you that one and I don't know what Hoodwinked is, but from what I have heard, Scott Pilgrim Vs. the World, Toy Story 3 and Zombieland have all been at least decent if not better. Also I liked the movie up when I watched it with my family, nothing better than a bitter old man yelling at a cute fat kid *chuckles*
I can provide reasons. I'll admit that most of my disdain resulted from unmet expectations. As you pointed out, none of those movies, save for Transformers 2 and Hoodwinked, were poorly received by critics. As a matter of fact, they were praised. My problem is that I went to see those movies based on the aforementioned praise, only to discover that, in my opinion, they were unworthy of the praise they received.

Up: I think it started out all right. However, I lost interest when the plot started pandering to children. I'll take American animation seriously when it starts taking itself seriously, realizing that youth need not be equated with blatant stupidity (see: talking dogs).

Toy Story 3: Bland beyond belief. I have no idea why this film received such sparkling reviews. The plot was utterly predictable and the laughs were few and far in between.

Zombieland: As with Up, I think this one started out pretty good. Unfortunately, it lost steam a little more than midway through, the laughs becoming sparse and eventually petering out before the conclusion.

Scott Pilgrim Vs. the World: Not much to say about this one. "Stupid" just about sums it up for me.
I guess I can't argue with the aforementioned reason of unmet expectations. Not to long ago did I comment on a movie review and said that I would have liked it if it were what I was expecting. Although with the movie Up, what were you really expecting? It was a children's movie made for children and in the modern times children enjoy fluffy dogs, and to make the dogs not seem completely gratuitous they gave them a voice and a connection to the main plot.

I did see Zombieland (thank you Internet :D) for the sole reason that my alleged class friends said, and I quote "It was Awesome!" I did see it through to the end, and while it seemed quite typical for an action movie (You know, hot girl, strong and arrogant male, a nerdy guy the audience can relate to, a little girl and a bunch of other stereotypical action attributes) it did have a certain "quirky" charm about it, but beyond that it did really seem like your average zombie movie but with a nice difference to it that made people enjoy it.

I haven't seen Scott Pilgrim vs the World, but from the information I have gathered on the movie it also seems a bit "quirky" in its own merit. Most people I have met said it was good or great, in fact I have only heard of two people who have disliked it, you and another person here at the Escapist.

In conclusion I guess it really depends on your expectations of the movie before you start watching it, but then I think perhaps you didn't like Zombieland and Scott Pilgrim vs the World because they were a bit different. I wouldn't go so far as to say "Zombieland and Scott Pilgrim vs the World exhibited innovative new movie techniques" but I would go so far as to say they were different to most movies and didn't express the similar common styles a lot of movies have. I guess you found Zombieland and Scott Pilgrim vs the World to be unconventional while some others found them to be great, it really all depends on the kind of person you are I guess and your expectations and feelings towards the movie are before you start watching.

J-dog42

Aug 1, 2010
I must be very easy to please because I have never walked out on a movie. I have however turned off a couple of dvds. Those being Napoleon Dynamite and Superbad. Superbad wasn't as bad the next time I watched it, it must have just been the mood I was in. However, Napoleon Dynamite was so awful I could feel my brain melting.

tehfeen83

Oct 17, 2010
tehfeen said:
Me and a mate walked out of Black Sheep after 45 mins. Really wanted to like that film, but just couldn't.
The New Zealand one? Aww, c'mon. That's one of my all time favorite movies.[/quote]

Yeah that's the one. I was so looking forward to seeing it as well, as I love horror comedies when done right. But, I don't know, I just wasn't laughing.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Zorpheus said:
InsomniJack said:
Twilight.

Although, to be honest, it was a DVD.

And strangely, I was able to sit through it's sequels. And they were stupider than the first one.
That was because enough of your braincells were annihilated by the first one that it made you bring the others to "tolerable" levels.

OT: Never have. Truly I have never seen a movie in theaters I have ever hated that much. But then I rarely go to the movies.
edit sorry, wrong person

Dimensional Vortex

Nov 14, 2010
Soylent Bacon said:
Dimensional Vortex said:
Soylent Bacon said:
Not in the theater, but I've shut off my DVD player and walked out of the room on Avatar and Meet the Spartans respectively.
I'm not trying to be offensive but, what was wrong with those movies?

Also I never really walked out nor felt the urge to do, I guess when I go to watch a movie it is because I have selected it carefully. Although at home one time I wanted to leave the room while the movie "Alone in the Dark" was on.

PS Did Alone in the Dark really need a sequel?
Avatar's protagonist annoys the living hell out of me, and I got bored at what I think was half way through the movie.

Meet the Spartans had so many mindless pop culture references, slapstick jokes, and other disgraceful excuses for comedy that I can't remember specifically now. I remember Brittany Spears showing up out of nowhere, making no sense and acting crazy. Get it? Brittany Spears is CRAZY! THAT'S THE JOKE!
I get what you mean by Avatars protagonist, he gives me the vibe that he his another roided up American protagonist with an arrogant attitude. But I guess he must annoy you so badly that you left the room which is a bit weird because I don't think I have heard of someone not watching a movie because of the demeanor of one character (especially when that one characters demeanor doesn't cross the boundaries or racism or homophobia) As I have said before, Meet the Spartans and other movies in that similar genre (movies that poke fun at a lot of big name titles e.g. Scary Movies franchise) aren't for everyone, most people cannot bear the simple stupidity while other can watch it and enjoy the movie. It really depends on your expectations before going into the movie and your feelings before going into the movie.

Dr. Awesome Face

Jan 11, 2010
Leemaster777 said:
I saw Due Date, with Robert Downey Jr. and Zach Galifianakis. I absolutely HATED this movie. I couldn't sit through it for more than an hour. Once Jamie Foxx showed up, I just said "Done", and walked out of the theater.
I actually kind of liked it, I mean I didn't love it, but I thought it was pretty funny, stupid but still pretty funny.

OT: Nope. I have never walked out of the theater before. I never have and I probably never will. Came close when I saw Son of the Mask a couple of years ago but I held my ground.

BabyRaptor

Dec 17, 2010
I walked out of Eragon. I wanted to walk out of Watchmen, but there was nothing else to do in the area where I saw it and the person I was with was dead set on staying.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Sevre said:
I walked out of War of the Worlds many years ago. It was pretty awful. I just got bored and left, besides we know what happens in the end anyway.
So you're bothered by knowing the end to a story before starting it, but it never occured to you until you were in the theatre itself that you knew the ending? Did you just suddenly remember or something?

I'm guessing you're not a big Titanic/ Apollo 13/ Downfall fan then?

Daffy F

Apr 17, 2009
Rylot said:
I walked out of Kill Bill Vol.1. I'm not sure what I was expecting but an hour of Tarantino's sadism was my limit. I guess I was hoping for something more like Reservoir Dogs
I think we ALL were. I actually fell asleep during Kill Bill Volume 1.... Yeah...

jigilojoe

Mar 4, 2009
I enjoyed Due Date, but with student fees at my local cinema being stupid cheap and Orange Wednesdays it only costed like £1.20, so I felt no need to leave.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Why would you walk out of the theater anyway? I think it's quite rude. What do you say to your company?

Or are you one of those weird people who go to the cinema alone?

Gincairn

Jan 14, 2010
My partner and I both walked out of "The Wishmaster" but that was more pregnancy related pain/sickness on her part.

We were tempted to walk out of "Bad Santa" but as we were the only people in the cinema we just got a bit personal instead (nothing too bad before anyone complains)

And I fell asleep during "Collateral" as the whole thing just bored me to tears (which is odd because i watched it a couple of years later on DVD and really enjoyed it)

Blazing Steel

Sep 22, 2008
Skyline. One of the worst films I've seen, I almost walked out it but my friend looked like he was enjoying it. He wasn't.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
PeePantz said:
IamQ said:
I shut down the DvD player when watching Bruno. No, not Brüno, I mean Bruno. It's an unknown film about a neighborhood in the 50s having zombies as pets. I could bare half of the movie.
I think the movie is actually called Fido. I thought it was a great satire..
Oh yeah, I forgot, that was it's name.

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
I've never walked out of a film, but I watched Burn After Reading on DVD, and if I had wasted my money to see it in the cinema I would have walked out.