I just walked out of a movie for the first time today.

Vkmies

Oct 8, 2009
Sevre said:
I walked out of War of the Worlds many years ago. It was pretty awful. I just got bored and left, besides we know what happens in the end anyway.
I hope you are talking about some of the newer ones!

Dont dare to insult classics!

culade

Quiet Knoll
Dec 17, 2007
Lexodus said:
culade said:
I've never walked out of a movie, typically see films I know will b entertaining. However, my friends have dragged me to see some horrible films such as AVP, Tyler Perry's Diary of a Mad Black Woman, and The Grudge. My friends immediately apologized for each one.
Before or after you wrapped your hands round their throats?
Never had to, they knew the shame of their crimes and begged for forgiveness as soon as the credits began.

Koroviev

Oct 3, 2010
Dimensional Vortex said:
I guess I can't argue with the aforementioned reason of unmet expectations. Not to long ago did I comment on a movie review and said that I would have liked it if it were what I was expecting. Although with the movie Up, what were you really expecting? It was a children's movie made for children and in the modern times children enjoy fluffy dogs, and to make the dogs not seem completely gratuitous they gave them a voice and a connection to the main plot.

I did see Zombieland (thank you Internet :D) for the sole reason that my alleged class friends said, and I quote "It was Awesome!" I did see it through to the end, and while it seemed quite typical for an action movie (You know, hot girl, strong and arrogant male, a nerdy guy the audience can relate to, a little girl and a bunch of other stereotypical action attributes) it did have a certain "quirky" charm about it, but beyond that it did really seem like your average zombie movie but with a nice difference to it that made people enjoy it.

I haven't seen Scott Pilgrim vs the World, but from the information I have gathered on the movie it also seems a bit "quirky" in its own merit. Most people I have met said it was good or great, in fact I have only heard of two people who have disliked it, you and another person here at the Escapist.

In conclusion I guess it really depends on your expectations of the movie before you start watching it, but then I think perhaps you didn't like Zombieland and Scott Pilgrim vs the World because they were a bit different. I wouldn't go so far as to say "Zombieland and Scott Pilgrim vs the World exhibited innovative new movie techniques" but I would go so far as to say they were different to most movies and didn't express the similar common styles a lot of movies have. I guess you found Zombieland and Scott Pilgrim vs the World to be unconventional while some others found them to be great, it really all depends on the kind of person you are I guess and your expectations and feelings towards the movie are before you start watching.
As I said before, Up starts out fairly promising. It displays subtlety and avoids pandering to its target audience. However, it eventually does what most American animation seems to do: midway through, it abandons subtlety in favor of trying to garner every cheap laugh it can wring out. Had Up maintained the level of restraint it showed in the beginning, I probably would have enjoyed it. As it stands, it is simply another testament to American animator's ostensible inability to take their medium seriously or appeal to more than those who are easily amused.

I think I need clarify something, though: the movies I listed, Hoodwinked and Transformers notwithstanding, are not necessarily awful. Relatively speaking, they're okay. The thing is that this thread concerns films that I personally would have rather not wasted time on. For me, an enjoyable cinematic experience entails escape, becoming lost in the world on screen. If I'm looking at my watch, hoping for the film to end soon, the movie has failed to impress me. Nevertheless, I am in no position to deem the film objectively bad.

One more thing: I don't hate all American animation. That would be much too sweeping a generalization. For example, I did enjoy How to Train Your Dragon. It's not some half-baked attempt at accomplishing this or that. It's a simple fantasy tale through and through. The pacing feels consistent and the character arc is bold and uplifting, if more than a little trite. I wouldn't call it a classic or an especially excellent film, but for me, it was entertaining.

P.Tsunami

Feb 21, 2010
If I go to see a movie at the theater, that probably means I have a good idea I will like it, or at the very least not find the movie untolerable. So I haven't ever walked out of the cinema during a movie. However, there are a couple of movies I've shut off prematurely when watching on DVD, most notably The Da Vinci Code (absolutely wretched movie; when even Ian McKellen couldn't salvage it, I gave up) and The Brother's Grimm (bad in and of itself, but actively pissing me off through the sheer disappointment I felt).

Koroviev

Oct 3, 2010
EBHM4 said:
Just yesterday I walked out of Black Swan. That movie was just awful, boring, and bizarre with no context at times. I get the feeling the hour and twenty minutes of absolutely nothing happening was supposed to be buildup, but it wasn't tense or scary or anything at all and it hardly even tried to contextualize the "climax" which is when I left because it was so stupid. You can't be a mediocre drama about dancing for the majority of the film and then decide you're a psychological horror movie for a half hour and then market yourself as such. That didn't work for me. And the worst part is the critics love this garbage! It's up for awards! I don't understand how because it was just awful.
I definitely wouldn't call Black Swan a horror film. A psychological thriller, yes, but the movie did little more than startle, not scare. Personally, I loved it. It's visceral and melodramatic, to be sure, but that's the whole point: Nina, in her pursuit of perfection, only excels in the extreme. There is no middle ground.

lvl9000_woot

Oct 30, 2009
ajh93 said:
no because i usually find out if its good or not before i go see it...or i figure out if its something i'd be interested in in the first place.

(and i didn't think Due Date was that bad;pretty average when it comes to buddy comedies)
This.

Most people make well informed decisions before spending around $7 (for me anyways). Though I can understand if it got good review, people told you it was great, and then you were still disappointed.

.J.a.T.

Aug 20, 2008
I'll most likely never walk out of a movie, I paid good money for the tickets and bloody hell I'm not going to waste it by walking out before the movie ends.

If it's torture it just means I paid for torture, thusly, I must suffer through it. At least I can whine about it later on forums or such.

fullbleed

Apr 30, 2008
Twice, one time was The Cook The Thief His Wife and Her Lover because it was making me feel ill watching it and I have a problem with depictions of child abuse of screen.

The other time was The Hole in 3D, not because it was a bad film but because they screwed up the projection. It started 15 minutes after it was supposed to, during this time I Repeated went looking for staff and told them what was wrong but nothing was ever done. "I'll look into it" they'd grunt just wanting me to leave them alone as it's 9 o'clock and they'll be finished soon. When it did start however it began 15 minutes into the film, went out again said to them what was wrong, nothing happened. 'Fuck this shit, I want a refund' and walked out.

robotam

Jun 7, 2010
I have been tempted, but never gone through with it. Seeing a terrible movie is alright, as long as you have some friends who you can sit and make jokes with.
God, Knowing was the worst movie of all time.

lee1287

Apr 7, 2009
i woulda just threw popcorn at someone.. or walked out of the vomitarium.. Lol QI=]

Tohru_Readman

Sep 14, 2009
dragonslayer32 said:
Me and my friends walked out of Spiderman 3. It was when he decided to adopt an emo haircut and dance in the street that done it...
I wished I walk out of Spiderman 3 as well but was seeing it with my partner who was actually enjoying it, same with X-Men 3.

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
I don't go to the theatre that often and when I have it's been with friends or family so I couldn't just wander off.

But if you've watched enough of a movie to know that you won't enjoy the rest, it is illogical to stay in the theatre just because you've paid for the priviledge of not enjoying it.

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
I couldn't stand watching more than an hour of the Social Network (aka, that damn Facebook movie), so I walked out and went to the arcade. I wasted the same amount of money I would have spent had I bought snacks on tokens and had a blast.

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
scorch 13 said:
Leemaster777 said:
bob1052 said:
Leemaster777 said:
As the title suggests, I just walked out of a movie for the first time today.

I've seen some bad movies in the past, but today, I saw a movie SO bad I could no longer sit through it.

I saw Due Date, with Robert Downey Jr. and Zach Galifianakis. I absolutely HATED this movie. I couldn't sit through it for more than an hour. Once Jamie Foxx showed up, I just said "Done", and walked out of the theater.

So, yeah, have any of you ever walked out of a horrible movie before?
Due Date was very obviously going to be the Hangover 2 (even before Hangover 2 comes out). I can't wrap my mind around how you could not expect it to be exactly how it was.

I haven't walked out, since I'm only ever at the theater with other people, but there are many that I have been bored while watching, or just ignoring the film as it goes.
Here's the thing, I LOVED the Hangover, and I did indeed think this was going to be in the same vein. However, there's a key difference with this movie: It wasn't funny. At all.

Really, I just found it unpleasant. Downey Jr. was nothing but a complete ass, and Galifianakis, while playing a similar character to the one from Hangover, was simply not fun to watch. He just didn't have the same charm he did in Hangover.

Pretty much all the jokes failed miserably. Without spoiling anything, there's a joke in there about Iraq war veterans. Not only is it NOT funny, it's insulting.

Maybe I just went in with inflated expectations, but this movie just did NOTHING for me.
Dont see how you get be insulted by iraq war jokes but whatever.Anyway the charecters in the movie were set up that way on purpose if you sat through the whole thing you would have seen them change thats how movies work.
Okay, perhaps "insulted" was the wrong word, but the joke was in really bad taste. I'm all for "you can make fun of anything you want", but the joke has to be FUNNY for that to apply.

And, yes, I know that the characters are supposed to change as the story goes on, but it was just taking to damn long. When Downey Jr. SPIT in that dog's face, I couldn't take it anymore. All I could think was "This guy is the most unlikeable prick I've ever seen".

Really, maybe it's also partly my fault. This just didn't seem like the kind of movie I'd normally see in theaters. But my sis and her friend wanted to go see a chick flick, and needed a ride to the theater.

It's one of those theaters that only shows slightly-older movies at a cheap price (like 3 bucks), so I figured that instead of just leaving and coming back in 2 hours, I'd see something for myself. And I saw this.

But really, when a romance movie is bad, it's funny (Twilight). When an action movie is bad, it's funny (Transformers 2). When a dramatic movie is bad, it's hilarious (The Room). But when a comedy is bad, it's just painful. I might have been able to sit through this if I had gone to see it with someone, but this was just one of those rare times I went by myself.

subject_87

Jul 2, 2010
Just last night, while watching Master and Commander on DVD with my dad, brother and cousin, I ended up spending most of the time playing Canabalt and Fruit Ninja, not really paying attention to the movie at all.

Geekosaurus

Aug 14, 2010
I've never walked out of a film. Generally because I don't go to see films that I think will be crap. If could go back though, I'd walk out of Meet the Spartans.