I just watched suckerpunch...

EmperorSubcutaneous

Dec 22, 2010
Soviet Heavy said:
plugav said:
Does anyone except MovieBob think it's great, really?

Still, I liked it, despite it's horrible pretentiousness.
Moviebob is also a guy who thinks that Watchmen was a brilliant movie. To me it was pure shit with pointless violence added where it wasn't needed.
Moviebob likes movies and games that feature sexually aggressive women.

That's all you need to know.

GeneralKrunk

Sep 13, 2010
Yeah its call stylizing, not every movie is meant to be seen as a "oh here the story that's it bye" type of thing. sometimes a director decides to make art and while its not always good its still an expression rather than 2 hours of shit blowing up.. oh and will smith, shit blowing up and will smith cuz why not.

feauxx

Commandah
Sep 7, 2010
i love sucker punch! it's probably not for everyone and i think the marketing was off. and yeah, a lot of people probably missed half of the story by not paying attention and being used to the dumbed down movies that explain every single thing and don't leave anything to the imagination.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
kman123 said:
...no one likes Sucker Punch. It's shit. The soundtrack is the best part of it.
Yes, because since you didn't like it that means nobody likes it.

Personally I liked it, not the best movie, but still good.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
kman123 said:
...no one likes Sucker Punch. It's shit. The soundtrack is the best part of it.
Yes, because since you didn't like it that means nobody likes it.

Personally I liked it, not the best movie, but still good.

Legendsmith

Mar 9, 2010
The whole thing is a feature length music video. If you go in expecting otherwise, you'll be disappointed or confused.

RandomNumber

Apr 25, 2011
I loved it when I saw it in theatres. But for some reason, it just didn't seem quite as good when I watched the DVD. Not terrible, just sort of... meh.
I guess it helps to be totally immersed in the movie. If you let yourself get past all the schoolgirl outfits and the steampunk zombie germans, it's actually a really fun movie. And yes, the soundtrack was amazing.

LiliumSnow

Jun 20, 2011
I saw "Sucker Punch" once with my friends. We never wanted to see it again.
I rarely find a movie that I strongly dislike (I either like a movie or I'm indifferent to it), but "Sucker Punch" was one of those rare movies I saw that I thought was bad. The only thing I even remotely liked about it was its soundtrack.

JohnnyDelRay

Jul 29, 2010
Soundtrack is awesome overall, though I'll admit Marilyn Manson's rendition of the theme was better. Actually, I did like the movie. Because I went in there with extremely low expectations (so low that in fact I watched it on the plane, expecting to turn it off after 15 min. or so). And it pleasantly surprised me, by not being overly stupid about the female heroine's kind of thing. The action wasn't lame and tryhard, it was just over the top and stupid, and got away with it.

The story was not as shallow as expected either, and I honestly don't know why anyone would have trouble following it, it wasn't too challenging on the mind either unless you want it to be (you can analyze it on many levels to determine what the director was trying to say). So, not ground breaking, but a fun ride nevertheless.

Death God

Jul 6, 2010
I didn't love it and I didn't hate it. It was an alright movie I guess if not, a little bit disturbed. Music was good and the idea behind the story was good but the way it was all put together was a little weak. I guess I would say it was a 7/10. Not horrible but not good either.

Couch Radish

Mar 28, 2011
Mostly because the movie has no real sense of direction and jumps around too much. Once you start to understand a scene, it immediately jumps onto another one. Sure it's a good-looking movie and the actors are easy on the eyes, there are a ton of other movies which look good and have good-looking actors.

CBanana

Aug 10, 2010
Meh... Definitely not the best movie but I've seen much worse. The symbolism wasn't particularly deep and the ending wasn't anywhere near as thoughtful as it was trying to be. The best I can say about the movie is that a couple of the action sequences are pretty cool as well as the fact that a lot of the movie looks very stylish.

It's kind of caught in this limbo of being too smart to be simple eye candy, and too dumb to be intellectually deep.

Jmurray21

Feb 7, 2011
I really like Sucker punch. the soundtrack is awesome ( I didn't like the beat;es cover of Tomorrow Never Knows but the rest was awesome). I enjoyed the wacky story and the special effects were really impressive.

Most didn't enjoy it but I certainly did.

Powdershred

Jan 30, 2011
Xanadu84 said:
Sucker Punch is nothing if not polarizing. It is basically half a cheesy exploitation flick which was the weaker of the 2 halves, plastered over a very complex, post-modern drama that basically forces the watcher to criticize himself, rather viciously, and then get, "Sucker punched" by a seriously downer ending. If your willing to get jerked around like that, its flipping amazing.

The most important thing to remember is this: When the lights go down, and Babydoll starts her dance, she is, in that world, about to be ogled mindlessly in a tasteless fashion by people who care for little more then base titillation. Then, the section of the movie starts where we in the audience are doing THE SAME THING. The idea is that you re-evaluate your values, and what you view as entertainment. The name of the movie is so accurate, its amazing. Not only the characters, but the Audience to, will get some serious sucker punches.
Wow. And I thought I understood the movie. Goddamn.

Also, I rather liked Sucker Punch. It wasn't Earth-shattering, but if you go into a movie expecting that then you're obviously going to be disappointed. On the whole I thought it was a great representation of the ability of a director to convey an idea through a non-classic medium. Too often movies about morals turn into long, preachy spiels (see: a certain 2006 Robert Redford movie, which I happened to like too). Sucker Punch was an attempt to portray a film artistically, and honestly I just don't pay attention to the wanton haters anymore because, as with all art, some people just won't get it.

KefkaCultist

Jun 8, 2010
A lot of people don't like Suckerpunch? This is news to me... I really like the movie. I mean sure it's nothing amazing, but it was a pretty decent movie people.

MysticToast

Jul 28, 2010
Sucker Punch is one of my favorites. That said, I can full well see why people DON'T like it....

It's still awesome though.

LyonLee

Aug 30, 2007
The plot can effectively be summarized in a single sentence: a group of women attempt to escape the asylum where they've be institutionalized. When you get to the psychological aspects of the film, they're attempting to escape reality. The metaphor of a burlesque/brothel is not too far from the reality they are stuck in. When they attempt to obtain the items they need to escape, they view it as a mission, as a fight for survival. But, eventually, reality comes crashing back down on them and the audience.

I must admit, I'm not entirely certain I liked it. I thought it was a well thought out film, well written, and incredibly visualized, using symbolism on top of metaphor to try to describe what the girls are going through, both emotionally and physically. But I must admit, the film did ultimately leave me feeling really uncomfortable, despite the denouement trying to let the audience know that everything worked out, villains were punished and heroes succeed, etc.

I don't know if it was the concept of the exploitation the girls were going through, or the sucker-punch twist, and even though I'm glad I watched it, I don't know if I'd see it again.