I may not read Marvel Comics, or any comics for that matter...

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I thought it was to important to add that in a few months Marvel is launching Legacy, which is basically their version of Rebirth.

So I guess we know with certainty how this little event is going to end.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
It's retcons like this can potentially destroy a character as it retroactively taints all the stories that have come before it.
Queen Michael said:
Also, can I just say that it's a tad annoying when people who don't read Steve Rogers's comic book say they're upset about this change? If you don't feel that the comic book Captain America is worth your time or your money then you're clearly not all that passionate about the character.
It's one thing if you stopped reading the book temporarily because you don't like a particular creative team, but if you've never followed his comic book then sorry, you're like a vegan complaining about the seasoning in a steakhouse. Like the movies? Good, but the movie character is a different person from the comics character.
Sure, but stunts like this sure as hell turn me off from STARTING to read their comics.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Well it worked, suddenly captain america went from one of the blandest and worst superheroes in my eyes to one of the most interesting.

I want to know more about his nazi past! Does this mean that time he punched hitler it was all a carefully orchestrated ruse with the fuhrer himself on it? Was every occasion of him fighting nazis staged? I want a detailed backstory on the planning involved and the brilliant nazi geniuses behind it all!

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
A dumb plot full of retcons and far-fetched twists you say?

In a superhero comic you say?

I'm shocked.

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
And meanwhile, I'm just sitting here, reading Kingdom.

... is it just me, or do manga (or at least the good ones) have more coherent plots, on account of not being intended to be written in perpetuity?

I mean, when a story is intended to be ongoing until the day the earth falls into the sun, stupidity like this seems inevitable.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Zhukov said:
A dumb plot full of retcons and far-fetched twists you say?

In a superhero comic you say?

I'm shocked.

(I'm just on a kick of using phrases like that today, apparently.)

Mangod said:

... is it just me, or do manga (or at least the good ones) have more coherent plots, on account of not being intended to be written in perpetuity?

I mean, when a story is intended to be ongoing until the day the earth falls into the sun, stupidity like this seems inevitable.
Poor Berserk...

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Mangod said:

Even the supposed good ones, or ones used to be good have their problems. Manga like Naruto, Bleach, and Shaman King went waaaayyyy off rails, and had plots and character developments that regressed, or pulling things out of their own ass. Naruto's case did not help as the original writer left, so things got even more shit. Shaman King never lost the original writer, but he became more misanthropic after a 5 year hiatus. Leaving us with a villain so overpowered like Azien's multiple gambits, and trying to teach a lesson of how normal humans are evil at worst, or incompetent at best. And how shamans are all either good or "misunderstood" So basically, the whole fuck humanity, talk down on our audience method that never works and makes you look all the more like a conceited asshole who does not know how the world or morality works. So long running manga can be just as bad about this, which is why I always prefer shorter shows, because there is usually better quality. American comics book are just more obvious by comparison, that is the only difference. To me, the only long running good manga that remains coherent are Battle Angel Alita, and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. At least Jojo has a different set of protagonists for each part. So repetition is mostly avoided.

The reason I did not put One Piece on the list because while it's not "bad", the title is boring and repetitive; but is more coherent than most the of the manga I listed by comparison.

ObsidianJones said:
I've always hated this type of shit.

You want to turn a character on it's head? do it with your own character. Don't undo years of stories because you want to be edgy or keep it relevant. Either retire the character or keep the character to his or her roots.

Daria agrees.

<spoiler=Edgy>

Shit like the Captain America example is why I can't get in to comics. Oh, and I never want Bruce Timm to touch anything Batman or DC related ever again.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
BuildsLegos said:
The worst thing about One Piece for me is that Oda has recently been piling too many weird ideas into each story-arc. So a mad scientist has children hooked on drugs and creates a deadly slime-monster, but then there's also a magic samurai whose son transforms into an Eastern Dragon and neither of them add much to the plot. Then a mobster with string-powers operates a gladiator ring and has a goon who transforms her slaves into labor-bots; but then there are also these fairies who want to re-conquer their homeland from said mobster and they're just joining a fight already started when a string-cage traps everyone.

Before Impel Down, there were 5 blockbuster movies worth of story where the Straw-hats arrive at a new place(s) and get on bad terms with and defeat (mostly 1-on-1) some kind of violent criminal group or tyrannical dictatorship. But it's still light-years more approachable than a decades-old interconnected franchises where ultra-shitty writers are often given free reign in one story to ret-con whatever they want or otherwise pollute the entire fiction.
Did not know about all the weird ideas Oda's had, then again, I have not read One Piece since 2008, and gave away the manga I had to charity. From what you described, all I could react to mostly an apathetic yawn to the crazy events you described. It's seems like bog standard John Carter's Mars weird than anything. After seeing the likes of Kill La Kill or Panty & Stocking, everything is going to look more "normal" or restraint by comparison.

NPC009

Don't mind me, I'm just a NPC
Aug 23, 2010
Bob_McMillan said:
altnameJag said:
Nick Spencer's been getting the roasting he deserves on Twitter over this particularly stupid arc. Shit like this almost killed comics in the 90s and is definitely hurting them again.
A few months back there were reports that comic book stores were complaining about Marvel's constant events and issue #0s. Apparently they are hurting comic book sales.
That sounds about right. Events and #0s take up a lot of space (and sometimes publishers even send more stock than the store actually ordered for 'free'!), because you're expected to promote them. However, there's no guarantee they will actually sell to anyone beyond the fans already heavily invested in certain characters. Meanwhile, the comics that are actually selling well (aside from manga) in the stores I frequent, are trade paperbacks from Image like The Walking Dead, Saga, Monstress, Descender and Wayward.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
Mangod said:

I feel like long running shonen series tend to be just as batshit and retcon-fellating as superhero comics because they have a similar issue in that they're intended to be written until their audience abandons it over several agonising years.

Well, maybe not "just as" but they can be really bad about it.

Outside of superhero comics, there are plenty of western comcs that are content to simply tell a story and then be done and they can be really good.

It's not really so much that manga is better but more, like you said, that stories that are never intended to end will inevitably lead to a ton of horse shit during their run.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
I'm not annoyed by the twist. As others say it's comics. Things like this happen and then get reverted or retconned. I only care if the story is good or bad.

And I mean it's a cosmic cube, thing can rewrite reality backwards through time. Whose to say the story of the allies using the cosmic cube isn't the cosmic cube just rewriting reality even more.

To start with reality was re-made ground up after Secret Wars. A whole bunch of character aren't technically the same ones who died in times runs out (but for all intents and purposes they are same, just like what happened in Heroes Reborn).

Furthermore, the Ultimates made comic book time canon recently. So we know stories with Captain American in the 70's did in fact take place in the seventies. But due to the importance of the current present they were dragged latter into the timestream. So when Captain America became Nomad over watergate that happened, but in universe it might have happened during the George Bush administration for example.

So again this is "real" now, not "real" in the past and likely not "real" in the future.

Comics are weird.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
Alright so... I have a slight advantage here since I've actually read the comics.

I'm 90% sure the "analogy" bit is about revisionism and Cap AS a symbol. Everyone here seems to focus on Steve being Hydra/a Nazi but I think its more about how different political groups will hold him up to represent their views of America. Thats what the "The Allies rewrote time" thing is about. The guys in charge always use Cap as a symbol of how they think America should be (think like USAgent and the Nomad timeframe but done literally).

I mean... its that PLUS how do the heroes best a Cap lead Hydra? Its a big ol Face/Heel turn which'll be ironed out by the end of the event.

Nature Guardian

Nov 9, 2016
I thought it was a really brave and interesting idea. A deconstruction of one of the most single-minded goodytwoshoes heroes. And also a social message about America. Very clever.

Which, of course, means that fanboys will hate hard on it until it's changed back.

CaptainMarvelous

May 9, 2012
JUMBO PALACE said:
Queen Michael said:
Also, can I just say that it's a tad annoying when people who don't read Steve Rogers's comic book say they're upset about this change? If you don't feel that the comic book Captain America is worth your time or your money then you're clearly not all that passionate about the character.
It's one thing if you stopped reading the book temporarily because you don't like a particular creative team, but if you've never followed his comic book then sorry, you're like a vegan complaining about the seasoning in a steakhouse. Like the movies? Good, but the movie character is a different person from the comics character.

(I have the same problem with people who demand diverse comics but don't buy them, choosing instead to only share positive posts about them on Tumblr.)

Don't be the kind of person who complains about the comics he finds bad but doesn't support the comics that are good.
Sorry for doing this but PREACH

Jokes aside, I find this baffling as well. As someone who does actually visit comic book stores and try to keep up with my favorite characters, I always find it a little annoying when people who can't be bothered to follow any of the books or storylines start screaming about what is and isn't good for the character. I'm not a Captain America reader so I don't have anything invested. I think a lot of it is knee jerk reactions by people who like the movies and base their entire conception of the character around that and don't want it changed or influenced. I can understand that a little bit, but these different version of the character can coexist without the magnetic poles shifting. I mean just look at Batman- You've got Detective, Batman, Batman and Robin, Superman and Batman, The Dark Knight, plus the movies, games, cartoons, shows, etc etc. You didn't see any of this hoopla when
Gordon takes over as Batman in the late New 52 run
just as an example. Obviously that's not as foundation shaking as this but still, it's comics- nothing is permanent.

I will say though, whenver I get a look at a few pages from a Marvel book I'm reminded why I primarily buy DC stuff. In your opinion is Marvel really in as rough shape as a lot of people say? What are some quality books I might want to check out?
POWERMAN AND IRON FIST!

Cannot recommend enough, it just finished but damn was it a good story about heroes on the street.

That and Champions are imo, best things Marvel have right now.

gyrobot_v1legacy

Apr 30, 2009
Wrex Brogan said:
...You know what, that's a question - who the fuck is this arc for anyway? The only people I've seen praising the move aren't quite whom I'd try to curry as a long-term audience for a hero that punches Nazis, if you catch my drift, so I'm just wondering... who is it for? It's not for newcomers, and it's not for veterans, so... yeah. Is it just Spencer jerking off for a year and a half?
For the critics mostly, they had hoped the signal boost from a critic's glowing review will help boost sales and critics love melodramatic shit sandwiches with a side of political wankery as the sauce. Preferably when they use supervillains as metaphors for the usual suspects.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
gyrobot said:
Wrex Brogan said:
...You know what, that's a question - who the fuck is this arc for anyway? The only people I've seen praising the move aren't quite whom I'd try to curry as a long-term audience for a hero that punches Nazis, if you catch my drift, so I'm just wondering... who is it for? It's not for newcomers, and it's not for veterans, so... yeah. Is it just Spencer jerking off for a year and a half?
For the critics mostly, they had hoped the signal boost from a critic's glowing review will help boost sales and critics love melodramatic shit sandwiches with a side of political wankery as the sauce. Preferably when they use supervillains as metaphors for the usual suspects.
Than you both, because I didn't even think about that. It's make the decision of the plot twist all the more stupid.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
The story isn't bad in itself but I wouldn't mind Marvel events going back to heroes vs. villains for a while.

Nature Guardian

Nov 9, 2016
BuildsLegos said:
Nature Guardian said:
I thought it was a really brave and interesting idea. A deconstruction of one of the most single-minded goodytwoshoes heroes. And also a social message about America. Very clever.

Which, of course, means that fanboys will hate hard on it until it's changed back.
"Deconstruction" and "complete character rewrite" are two very different things.

You must be new to superhero comics then.

Characters get rewritten ALL THE TIME to the point of ridicule. Why's Cap America any different now?

There was a time Wolverine's origins were that he really was a mutant wolverine.
Spider-Man summoned the devil.
Doc Ock married aunt May.
Batman used guns.
The Riddler was old and creepy.
The Riddler was young and sexy.
Brainiac was a robot.
Brainiac was a living being.
The Scarecrow was a whimpy nerd.
The Scarecrow was a martial arts master.

I could go on and on and on and on!

So now we also have:

Cap America was Hydra's enemy.
Cap America was Hydra's hero.