I need a good Training FPS

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Counter strike might be a little rough for newbies unless you decide to play against bots.

kommando367 said:
Halo 3 is rather easy and all COD games (I think) and KZ3 have training levels at the start.
He said PC games...

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
I'm going to go a bit farther back than most people, and suggest that you get something from the early days of mouselook: Quake I, Shogo: Mobile Armor Division, the original Half Life and Duke Nukem 3D all come to mind. Reason being, those early games were designed so that they could be played entirely with the keyboard, and didn't actually rely much on looking up or down. As a result, they're good at training you to keep your Y axis fairly level except when you actually need to alter it to shoot at something above or below you. If there's one thing I've seen people not used to 3D camera controls struggle with, it's keeping their Y axis steady.

kommando367

Oct 9, 2008
Waaghpowa said:
Counter strike might be a little rough for newbies unless you decide to play against bots.

kommando367 said:
Halo 3 is rather easy and all COD games (I think) and KZ3 have training levels at the start.
He said PC games...
I could have sworn Halo 3 had a PC version. my bad.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
kommando367 said:
Waaghpowa said:

kommando367 said:
He said PC games...
I could have sworn Halo 3 had a PC version. my bad.
Only 1 and 2 were, after that Microsoft felt that they should give "Incentive" to buy their Xbox.

TrevHead

Apr 10, 2011
IIRC isnt the size of the baddies in quake 2 smaller than regular modern FPS games?

If so than that would help with the pointing and shooting also there isnt as many baddies to kill so she might have an easier time than with serious sam.

So she could play that first before moving onto SS

YukoValis

Aug 9, 2008
Continuity said:
Ouch. COD 4... are you trolling or what?

Well i'm going to assume you're serious but just ignorant so i'll let it slip. IMO for training you want counterstrike, teaches you to aim for and hit the head and teaches you the value of getting the first bullet on target, plus it teaches you the value of stealth and tactics. OK its maybe a little at the hardcore end of the spectrum but if all you want is competence in simple run and gun shooters then anything like UT or Quake will teach you to move and shoot.
Call of duty 4 MW has a training area at the start, though come to think of it MW2 had a MUCH better one. It's uncommon to rare for games to have something equal to that. Most games just have on screen directions. I want something one can practice on strafing and aiming.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
Strafing and aiming you'd definitely want one of the Quakes (Quake 3 would be my suggestion, even with just the demo. Your always moving, the bots are pathetic, but you still need to aim, even with the rockets), or for more modern day titles try Bioshock. You can make it up to the first Big Daddy without strafing too much, though you till still have to do it, but that Big Daddy MAKES you run. If you don't, you get a drill in you. Melee enemies are IMO the best training for strafe aiming, as the best way to kill them is to get away from them. The Immersion in Bioshock due to the story and atmosphere may also help; She will feel more as if SHE is in danger, and not just the player, and she will more closely follow natural reactions in such cases: Run like fuck.
Other than that, a full team of bots on Counter Strike set to only hold knives is good strafe aiming training. CS follows most aiming conventions - I.E: Jumping, running, climbing ect. reduces your accuracy - and the melee bots mean she won't be killed too easily. Running is the only way to defeat a full team of knife bots without using exploits that some maps have, otherwise they just surround you and you die.

So... yeah. Basically get her up against melee enemies, try out some of the more movement focused shooters (Quake and Bioshock) and just keep her playing. It will eventually happen.

SweetNess_666

Sep 2, 2009
I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest black ops online for the combat training I mean its gt everything she cd possibly need to become a compatant fps player, that or if she just wants a run n gun....Left 4 dead :)

OCAdam

Oct 13, 2010
I will suggest that you look up UT2004 and download a number of Assault Trial maps. Find the ones that start easy and don't become insane or have nasty trial-and-error death hallways.

These should really help with the movement.

Zeema

The Furry Gamer
Jun 29, 2010
TheRussian said:
I'd say, play Team Fortress 2 with AI bots, ramping up the difficulty as your experience increases, then try some beginner servers. TF2 has a friendly community, so there is no pressure on newbies.
That x8999

TF2 is a great way to intro yourself and others into FPS

efAston

Sep 12, 2011
Quake. Circle-strafing and weapon changing are both seamless and your life's purpose by the time you've finished the second episode. And it looks sweet with the Tenebræ front-end (still available from File Planet).

Mr.Amakir

Jun 2, 2010
The original F.E.A.R. Sure the horror in that game sucks but it's not really a horror game, more like a shooter where little girls tries to scare you from time to time. The game got some of the most satisfying combat i have ever encountered in an FPS and probably the best enemy AI ever, the story is quite good too. Be sure to check out the "Extraction Point" expansion which improves pretty much everything, the combat, the environments and even the horror.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Djinn8 said:
Serious Sam. If that's not an FPS trainer I don't know what is.
As a love letter to card-carrying hard-core-old-school FPS fans, it is absolutely wonderful.

But as a trainer, no.

It has a bit too many quirks and for a beginner it is just too hard, especially later in the game. You don't want to scare people off with a challenge that they are not ready to rise to.

I say:

Doom (with Zdoom sourceport)
then Half Life
And then Painkiller/Bioshock for different types of challenges.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Djinn8 said:
+1 for this. She will learn very quickly the principles of strafing, and the game is just so much fun.

Also, Halo PC might not be a bad idea - again, a fun game, and the slow projectiles of the majority of the enemies will reinforce the strafing message from Serious Sam.

I'd personally say that UT and Quake might be too fast-paced and too reliant on mechanics such as bunny-hopping and double-jumping that may not be immediately obvious, or relevant to most mainstream shooters, though then again they could just be good fun and the presence of slow projectiles as well as instant hit weapons gives variety.

Modern 'so real' shooters would be unforgiving to a newcomer, I would expect, especially online. If she's struggling with the principle of strafing then they aren't going to help with that as it's not instinctively obvious that it would be of benefit against bullets if you haven't programmed in that reflex.

Playing online, say in TF2, might not be too bad an idea - point out how other people avoid incoming projectiles, see the benefits of not tanking all the pain, learn from example n all that.

My first FPS was Goldeneye, which I completed before learning that there even were buttons for strafing. Then I played some Jedi Knight, which didn't have mouse support and again didn't advertise the idea of strafing, but the slow blaster bolts introduced me to the idea of trying to avoid incoming fire. Playing Goldeneye with friends again, having discovered the joys of the C buttons and running circles around each other, I finally learnt the power of the strafe. Everyone needs to start somewhere - perhaps the key is making her understand the point before learning the action.

dicox

Oct 8, 2011
I came here to say that I very much disagree with the suggestion of CS:S. In my opinion, the gun behaviour, specifically the recoil and accuracy while moving, is way too specific to this game, so that good aim in CS:S can not be easily transferred to other FPSs. Instead I suggest playing the single-player of Quake 3 on a suitably easy difficulty setting.
I also don't recommend playing Quake Live, in my experience the 'average' or general skill level online is quite impressive, and for a newcomer, there could hardly be a worse experience than getting their arse handed to them in Quake. I speak from experience. Oh god, the memories overcome me..

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Wicky_42 said:
Djinn8 said:
+1 for this. She will learn very quickly the principles of strafing, and the game is just so much fun.

Also, Halo PC might not be a bad idea - again, a fun game, and the slow projectiles of the majority of the enemies will reinforce the strafing message from Serious Sam.

I'd personally say that UT and Quake might be too fast-paced and too reliant on mechanics such as bunny-hopping and double-jumping that may not be immediately obvious, or relevant to most mainstream shooters, though then again they could just be good fun and the presence of slow projectiles as well as instant hit weapons gives variety.

Modern 'so real' shooters would be unforgiving to a newcomer, I would expect, especially online. If she's struggling with the principle of strafing then they aren't going to help with that as it's not instinctively obvious that it would be of benefit against bullets if you haven't programmed in that reflex.

Playing online, say in TF2, might not be too bad an idea - point out how other people avoid incoming projectiles, see the benefits of not tanking all the pain, learn from example n all that.

My first FPS was Goldeneye, which I completed before learning that there even were buttons for strafing. Then I played some Jedi Knight, which didn't have mouse support and again didn't advertise the idea of strafing, but the slow blaster bolts introduced me to the idea of trying to avoid incoming fire. Playing Goldeneye with friends again, having discovered the joys of the C buttons and running circles around each other, I finally learnt the power of the strafe. Everyone needs to start somewhere - perhaps the key is making her understand the point before learning the action.
Just to let you know, Jedi Knight definitely had mouse support, but as an early mouselook game, it was designed to be playable without one, and you had to manually check a box to turn it on. Dark Forces, the game that it was a sequel to, did not have mouselook -- at least in its original DOS incarnation; I've heard the Mac version had mouse support and ran at a higher resolution to boot. Jedi Knight actually falls right in with the other early mouselook games I suggested as training games; they really teach you how to keep your Y-axis steady, only moving it when you actually need to aim up or down, while also teaching movement basics. How many FPS newbies have we all seen with their guns permanently pointed at their feet?