I need a good Training FPS

Mewick_Alex

May 25, 2009
I had a similar situation whith my fiancee a while back, she likes to watch me playing stuff online but I rarely let her have a go because.... well..... she sucks.

The solution? COD: Black Ops. There's a training mode against bots (I forget exactly what it's called - sorry), which worked like a charm. Now she's almost capable! She can even play online and kill people occasionally!

Apr 5, 2008
Serious Sam or Painkiller. Or Unreal Tournament 3.

Borderlands is alright too, she'd eventually get the hang of it. Truth be told, I don't think I've ever heard of anyone in the history of videogaming needing a training game before graduating to play a different title. Most games have tutorials for a reason.

Oh, and CoD...HAHAHAHAHAHA, good one, you almost had me there.

Mylinkay Asdara

Waiting watcher
Nov 28, 2010
I got my FPS legs under me with Metal Gear Solid Guns of the Patriots - started on super easy and worked my way through to Big Boss. It's paced thing, with story, and it gives you a lot of different gun options to learn with. My BF wanted me to play with him on FPS and I was made of suck and fail - the nice thing about this title was it had enough story (Lots of story and CS) to reward my efforts from the game - and not directly from him praising me and it doesn't have the "waves of enemies regenerate all the time if you aren't fast enough" factor that the COD Games have.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Djinn8 said:
Serious Sam. If that's not an FPS trainer I don't know what is.
Exactly that, it requires all the basics of FPS shooting and the charging enemies will make you learn them well, on the easiest setting it also gives you enough time.

And for the love of god don't let her go near any competitive online shooters.

N_of_the_dead

Apr 2, 2008
counter-strike, if it weren't for this game i would be far below average in the fps field might have gotten a lot better if the internet cafe me and my friends went to to play it hadn't gone out of business

Flour

Mar 20, 2008
Painkiller requires all basic FPS skills and is difficult but fair. If you die, you weren't moving around enough.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
TF2 features complex strategies that throw a person off his training.

http://aim400kg.ru/en/reflex-training-for-gamers/

Hard to accomplish, I warn you. If you don't get results, don't expect them to grow. You can train your muscles for your twitch reflexes, but your reaction time depends with age - not training.

EDIT:
Wait, this link is correct - http://aim400kg.ru/en/

SpAc3man

Jul 26, 2009
CS:S Gun Game in reverse order to develop quick precision and understanding of different weapon types in FPS games. Then some COD4/MW2 to adapt those skills to more modern games that use ADS. Some Q3/UT3/SS will be beneficial if you want to improve that style of FPS.

Chuck in some Doom 1/2 and then Quake 1-3, CS 1.6, Half-Life, BF1942, HL2 and the Episodes if you want her to understand how the genre has progressed. COD 1 and 2 could fit in there too.

Particulate

May 27, 2011
YukoValis said:
Ok first of all no I don't mean for real life, I know the vast difference between pulling a trigger and pushing a button in a game. Second I only really play PC anymore, so I need suggestions for that.

It boils down to this, my GF just got into FPS games. Borderlands in fact which doesn't really teach you how to shoot. Although competent enough to head shot, she all in all sucks when it comes to FPS. I want to find a game that might teach her more of the ropes. All I can think of is Call of Duty 4 MW with the training mission in the start.

I like to watch her play, but every time I shake my head and sigh when she doesn't strafe and just stands there getting shot down. So any games that can sort of help improve FPS gaming skills?
Counterstrike.

WaysideMaze

The Butcher On Your Back
Apr 25, 2010
I'm gonna go with TF2 aswell on this one. It's free and there are plenty of weapons to play around and practice with. Also, it really is shit loads of fun.

stefman

Jan 9, 2011
YukoValis said:
Ok first of all no I don't mean for real life, I know the vast difference between pulling a trigger and pushing a button in a game. Second I only really play PC anymore, so I need suggestions for that.

It boils down to this, my GF just got into FPS games. Borderlands in fact which doesn't really teach you how to shoot. Although competent enough to head shot, she all in all sucks when it comes to FPS. I want to find a game that might teach her more of the ropes. All I can think of is Call of Duty 4 MW with the training mission in the start.

I like to watch her play, but every time I shake my head and sigh when she doesn't strafe and just stands there getting shot down. So any games that can sort of help improve FPS gaming skills?
the rainbow six vegas games reward accuracy and good fps habits plus terrorist hunt mode is great training.

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
You know the responses to this thread are exactly the same as the 'what is your favourite FPS' threads?

That said, Halo 1 and Half-Life 2 are great for teaching you how to play FPSes!