I NEED more music, and good music too.

ThrobbingEgo

Nov 17, 2008
Here's a mixed bag of what I listen to. Generally lyrics-focused songs, alt-rock, folk-rock, a little bit of synth-rock, and some more lively music genres peppered in. This might not be my definitive best music list, but it's a good place to start.

Jim's Big Ego
Moxy Fruvous
The Fatales (Track down their first album Pretty in Pixels, if you can)
Crash Test Dummies
Nneka
Creedence Clearwater Revival
Barenaked Ladies
Bruce Cockburn
Razorlight
Blue Oyster Cult
Counting Crows
Regina Spektor
Theory of A Deadman
Voltaire
The Protomen (Take a listen to their new album, Act II, if you've already heard their self-titled album. It's different. Good different.)
Jonathan Coulton
Goo Goo Dolls
The Wallflowers
Ocean Colour Scene
M Ward
Roger Clyne & The Peacemakers (And Roger Clyne's old band, The Refreshments)

teh_n00b_root said:
x_the_eliminator said:
They Might Be Giants
Oh and them!
Yeah, but their music's very "black licorice." People who love TMBG love them with a passion, people who don't "get it" hate it. I love it, everyone else's ears bleed. I think it's Linnell's nose-singing.

high_castle

Apr 15, 2009
200 songs? I have something like 8000 on this one computer, and that's only a fraction of my collection (much of which is original vinyl). You don't list your tastes, so I'm going to provide you with a lot of broad strokes.

Bob Dylan (start with "Shelter from the Storm," "Knockin' On Heaven's Door," "The Times They Are A-Changin'," "Tangled Up In Blue," "Ballad of a Thin Man," "Subterranean Homesick Blues," and "Dark Eyes")
Rolling Stones (start with "Gimme Shelter," "Heartbreakers," "Honky Tonk Women," "Sympathy for the Devil," "Paint It Black," and "Mother's Little Helper")
The Clash (start with "London Calling," "Should I Stay or Should I Go," "Guns of Brixton," "Rock the Casbah," and "Train in Vain")
Bruce Springsteen (start with "I'm On Fire," "Dancing in the Dark," "Born to Run," and "Born in the USA")
Johnny Cash (start with "The Man Comes Around," "Walk the Line," "Hurt," "Folsom Prison Blues," and "Ring of Fire")
David Bowie (start with "Life on Mars," "The Man Who Sold the World," "Ziggy Stardust," "Rebel Rebel," "I'm Afraid of Americans," "Modern Love," and "Let's Dance")
The Who (start with "Love Reign O'er Me," "Behind Blue Eyes," and "Baba O'Riley")
Deep Purple ("Smoke on the Water" and "Hush")
Derek and the Dominoes ("Layla")
Solomon Burke ("None of Us Are Free")

Antony & the Johnsons (start with "Fistful of Love," "Paddy's Gone," "Aeon," and "River of Sorrow")
Blind Pilot (start with "The Story I Heard," "One Red Thread," and "Two Towns Over")
Yeasayer (start with "2080," "Wait for Summer," "Sunrise," and "Tight Rope")
Cold War Kids (start with "Saint John," "A Change is Gonna Come," "Hang Me Up To Dry," "We Used to Vacation," "Mexican Dogs," and "Every Man I Fall For")
Bat For Lashes ("Daniel," "Prescilla," and "I'm On Fire")
Andrew Bird ("Imitosis," "Effigy," and "Not a Robot, But a Ghost")
The Honorary Title ("Far More," "Simple Twist of Fate," "Disengage," and "Petals")
Cat Power ("Cross Bone Style," "Werewolf," "He War," and "Good Woman")
Iron & Wine ("Flightless Bird, American Mouth," "Cinder and Smoke," "Upwards Over the Mountain," "Boy With a Coin," and "Love and Some Verses")
Glint ("Boy of the Stars" and "Alone in the Cosmos")
Greg Laswell ("Comes and Goes (in waves)," "Your Ghost," "High and Low," and "Long Way Around")
People In Planes ("Falling By the Wayside," "Pretty Buildings," "Instantly Gratified," and "Penny")
Obadiah Parker ("Hey Ya" and "Six or Seven")
What Made Milwaukee Famous ("Self-Destruct," "Mercy Me," "Trying Never to Catch Up," "Sultan," "Cheap Wine," and "idecide")
Spoon ("My Mathematical Mind," "The Beast and Dragon Adored," "Stay Don't Go," "I Turn My Camera On," and "My First Time Volume Three")
Jose Gonzalez ("Heartbeats," "Down the Line," and "Hints")
Rubyhorse ("Sorrow" and "Long Time Coming")
James Yuill ("The Ghost," "Chasing My Hands," and "This Sweet Love")
Grant-Lee Phillips ("The Killing Moon," "Buried Treasure," "Mona Lisa," and "Under the Milky Way")

Start there, and see where it takes you.

Tom13ombadil

Jan 14, 2010
TheNumber1Zero said:
[sub]...should I ask him? maybe I shouldn't... Might as well...[/sub] How do you feel about J-Pop?
ermm.... No, please.

If your into rock, I suggest Hammerfall, DragonForce, Edguy, maybe Saxon, and ManoWar...
If your into old stuff, Styx or Boston is good, If you like exotic stuff, Flogging Molly is great Irish pop music. Jack Johnson is slow, but good too. I dont listen to rap or country or classic or J-pop so :p

baibai!

blue heartless

Legacy
Aug 28, 2005
[a href="http://music.guardian.co.uk/1000albums"]1000 albums to hear before you die[/a]

Have fun.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Plazmatic said:
look I am sick and tired of the SHIT songs on the radio, and the fact that every top music site I come across has shitty music, even their supposed "top ten" are good.

What I need is at least some bands I can look into to get more music! At the moment I have just over 200 songs, half of which are no good.

Give me any music you think is good PLEASE. It does not matter if it's foreign or not (I am an american).

Also while your at it, what is the band that sings the song in this tribute vid? http://vimeo.com/8186760 (I cant tell if its two or one band, but if its two tell me both bands, or the name of the song(s))

If there is already a thread like this, direct me too it, search isn't working ATM
You don't have permission to decide what is bad or not.
You do get an opinion. It bothers me when people go around ridiculing art that doesn't appeal to them.
I just spent hours yesterday studying about this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degenerate_art

That being said, http://iimusic.net/ has some good chiptunes.

Daniel Cygnus

Jan 19, 2009
Gxas said:
Coheed and Cambria. Do it. Try Time Consumer and A Favor House Atlantic. You'll probably like Welcome Home, but it is seriously their worst song, listen to the other stuff.
Seriously? Worse than Mother May I? Worse than Miss Erica Court? Choose your next words carefully...(I get what you're trying to say, though. It is incredibly unfair that that's the only song of theirs that ever really got meaningful exposure.)

Either way, I agree. Do what he says. Look into Coheed. DOOOOO IT.

Also, you can never go wrong with Radiohead. Start with OK Computer. It's a masterpiece.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
D-Mic said:
Gxas said:
Coheed and Cambria. Do it. Try Time Consumer and A Favor House Atlantic. You'll probably like Welcome Home, but it is seriously their worst song, listen to the other stuff.
Seriously? Worse than Mother May I? Worse than Miss Erica Court? Choose your next words carefully...(I get what you're trying to say, though. It is incredibly unfair that that's the only song of theirs that ever really got meaningful exposure.)

Either way, I agree. Do what he says. Look into Coheed. DOOOOO IT.

Also, you can never go wrong with Radiohead. Start with OK Computer. It's a masterpiece.
Erica Court may be my favorite song on that album, apart from The Suffering. And Mother May I is definitely up there with it. I'm very picky when it comes to my Coheed. And the fact that people have told me that it is their only good song makes me hate it. Especially when they only like it up until the vocals start. "He sounds like a girl" is no excuse to not like a song. "You sound like a *****" is my usual response. I am obsessed with Coheed and Cambria. I cannot stand when people tell me that the band is no good. Especially because Welcome Home may be the worst representation of the rest of their music.

aPod

Jan 14, 2010
Classic Rock man...

Back when music was actually good... you wont hear anything nearly as good as the stuff made back in the 60's-80's...

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
IdealistCommi said:
System Of A Down
Serj Tankain.
This. Thanks for saving me the effort of typing.
[small]technically this is more typing[/small]
[small]shut up...[/small]

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
I shall deliver unto your minds a song.
A song that will shatter said minds.
Hey, it is good music...

Of course, if ye want a good band/group/whatever, Manic Street Preachers.
It is an older group, but pretty much all of their songs (In the album This is my truth tell me yours at least) are good.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
-Pod- said:
Classic Rock man...

Back when music was actually good... you wont hear anything nearly as good as the stuff made back in the 60's-80's...
Matter of opinion. I say that all music up until the '90s, barring Meatloaf and Rush, sucks. AC/DC, Rolling Stones, even The Beatles. It is all opinion.

aPod

Jan 14, 2010
Yea... i'd agree with that Gxas... for me if someone asked me if i'd rather learn to play a Zepplin guitar song or Blink 182 yea... i think i'll go with the one that actually rocks.

dariuskyne

Oct 28, 2009
when it comes down to it good music is totally a personal preference thing. i can only suggest the things i enjoy in my own playlist.

VNV Nation, 16 volt, And One, Apoptygma bezerk, Wolfsheim, Assemblage 23, :Wumpscut:, Funker Vogt, Bile, Pitchshifter, Carfax Abbey, Covenant, Darling Violetta, She Wants Revenge, OhGr, Portishead, Front line assembly, God Lives Underwater, Godhead, gogol bordello, the pixies, the yeah yeah yeahs, the 5678's, Gravity Kills, The Aquabats!, the Horrorpops, Icon of Coil, Isle of Q, Jack off Jill, Joy Division, the Smiths, Basement Jaxx, L7, The Yoshida Brothers (i advise at least "kodo - inside the sun mix" to anyone who owns a Wii), Voltaire (not cabaret voltaire... just Voltare), anything from OC remix (they're remixes of game songs fer crying out loud!), Violent Femmes, Vast, Tiger Army, The Used, Agent Orange, Buck o nine, the Toadies, Toad the wet Sprocket, and the list just keeps going... but then these are songs and bands i like, your experience may differ.

Omegatronacles

Guardian Of Forever
Oct 15, 2009
Sonata Arctica
Rhapsody (of Fire)
Freedom Call
Voltaire
In Extremo
Le Mystere Des Voix Bulgares
Abney Park

Have fun

aruseusx

Apr 22, 2009
Megadeth (Greatest thrash metal band)
Death (Greatest death metal band ever)
Opeth (Obligatory)
Rush
Kyuss
Judas Priest
Iron Maiden
Fear Factory (Their new album is great)
Cynic
Symphony X
Dream Theater
Heaven & Hell (New Black Sabbath)

Some brutal stuff that is good
Necrophagist
Anaal Nathrakh
Celtic Frost
Emperor
Mayhem
Behemoth

I've also been getting into King Diamond/Mercyful Fate recently and they are pretty good