I need your help!

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
Hello Escapist, I really need your help guys and gals. Just last week I was given an assignment which will provide the remaining 16% I need to complete my Level 2 qualification and advance on to my Level 3. (For the sake of the data you don't need to live within the UK)

You have been recruited by a large entertainment consortium to research what are the most popular types of recreation in the UK. The CEO is Sir Edric Wolseley, who authorised your recruitment.
Your purpose is to obtain data, facts and figures to establish what area the company will plough their £250,000 into and the reasons behind this.

Project Specifications are to:

Research 3 age areas:
- 5 - 13
- 14 ? 25
- 25+

Research the comparison of male to female in these age areas.
Research what they spend their leisure time on in these age areas.
So after four days of searching the internet and finding statistics and polls that don't provide the data I need, I've turned to the Escapist for help. If the figures aren't there for me to use then I'm going to have to find another way to get them. I figured that instead of doing a round trip around my office building I could instead ask a larger community, you guys!

Many, many, many thanks in advance!

The Escapist poll form doesn't have enough options, so could you please state in a post your top three preferred leisure activity, your age and gender:

- Watching TV
- Sport and/or exercise
- Reading
- Listening to music
- Arts and crafts
- Playing Video Games
- Hanging out with friends
- Shopping
- DIY
- Browsing the Internet
- Other (please state)

{Note: Wasn't sure if this belonged here or the advice forum. I know the poll is vague but answer to the best of your ability)

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
You're not going to get a very good data set from a computer gaming forum. Obviously almost everyone is going to say computer games (or at the very least, a significantly higher percentage of us as opposed to a more random sample of the population). Any data you get from us will be therefore unuseable, as we simply wouldn't be here if computer games wasn't a primary interest.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
I'm male and am 19 years old.
Leisure activity in order of preference:
1. Video Games
2. Books
3. Hanging out with friends.
Is that right?

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
BonsaiK said:
You're not going to get a very good data set from a computer gaming forum. Obviously almost everyone is going to say computer games (or at the very least, a significantly higher percentage of us as opposed to a more random sample of the population). Any data you get from us will be therefore unuseable, as we simply wouldn't be here if computer games wasn't a primary interest.
For the sake of the BTEC it really doesn't matter, I just need data and I'm not allowed to make it up.

RedEyesBlackGamer said:
I'm male and am 19 years old.
Leisure activity in order of preference:
1. Video Games
2. Books
3. Hanging out with friends.
Is that right?
That's great thanks!

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
I'm Male, 18 years of age...

1. Listening to Music...
2. Other(Playing an instrument...)
3. Playing Video Games...

BonsaiK

Music Industry Corporate Whore
Nov 14, 2007
Azure-Supernova said:
For the sake of the BTEC it really doesn't matter, I just need data and I'm not allowed to make it up.
Okay, maybe just don't broadly announce to them that you got your data set from a computer gaming forum.

I'm male and 36.

1. Computer games
2. Listening to music (mind you it's rarely a "leisure activity" for me)
3. Reading
4. Everything else
5. Hanging out with friends
6. Sport/exercise

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
I'm female and aged 17

1)Hanging out with friends
2)Listening to music
3)Arts and Craft

Sprinal

Jan 27, 2010
16 Male

Order of leisure preferences is hard but possibly
1. Hanging with friends
2. Playing Computer games
3. Listening to music

Probably not entirelly accurate but best I can come up with in my current mood. (My prefernaces change)

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Azure-Supernova said:
The Escapist poll form doesn't have enough options, so could you please state in a post your top three preferred leisure activity, your age and gender:

- Watching TV
- Sport and/or exercise
- Reading
- Listening to music
- Arts and crafts
- Playing Video Games
- Shopping
- DIY
- Browsing the Internet
- Other (please state)

{Note: Wasn't sure if this belonged here or the advice forum. I know the poll is vague but answer to the best of your ability)
Male, 17.
1: Watching TV
2: Browsing the internet
3: Hanging out with friends.

BonsaiK said:
This. The figures will be skewed.

Mar 30, 2010
Alright, I'll wade in, but your data will be skewed in favour of gaming and internet browsing (since you're conducting this on an internet gaming site). You will need to state where you gathered your data from and announce the expected bias in the fore-word of your project (if you want check my occupation in my profile).

Male, 30.
1) Hanging out with friends
2) Computer gaming
3) Reading

Hippobatman

Resident Mario sprite
Jun 18, 2008
Male, 20 years.

1. Hanging out with friends
2. Sports
3. Video Games

Good luck with that assignment.

tombman888

Jul 12, 2009
- Playing Video Games
- Browsing the Internet

Male

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
Grouchy Imp said:
Alright, I'll wade in, but your data will be skewed in favour of gaming and internet browsing (since you're conducting this on an internet gaming site). You will need to state where you gathered your data from and announce the expected bias in the fore-word of your project (if you want check my occupation in my profile).
Thanks for the advice :) As I've stated above, all I need is data that I didn't make up. It's not that serious a project; it's just important that I get it finished. But seeing as I have to write a report about my findings your advice will definitely come in handy. Thanks.

Meneghetti

Feb 10, 2011
Male, 19yo, Brazil.

1- Playing Videogame/PC
2- Reading
3- Other (I don't know if I put it on exercises, but I do Hiking)

Music I do 24/7, but as background to all others activities, It helps me concentrate and well... it's MUSIC! :D