I propose we work to end the hatred of the Fedora

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
Zhukov said:
Also, what the hell is the "blue pill/red pill thing"? How is that anything but a Matrix reference?
Essentially, the Red Pill is about men who have been "awakened" to how the world and how women in general work; thus, the red pill offered to Neo

From the subreddit itself: "The Red Pill: Discussion of sexual strategy in a culture increasingly lacking a positive identity for men."

Blue Pill is a response to all that above

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
The fedora is quintessential Dadcore, which is to say, you don't want anything to do with it. People will laugh at you and you will look like a tryhard.

The fundamental problem is that people try to pair it with a graphic tee and a pair of jeans. This is high quality headwear, you can't just fold it up and put it in your back pocket like you would a baseball cap. It fell out of style because of the shift towards informal clothing in the late '60s.

If you're looking to step up your fashion game, that's great, but the fedora is the wrong way to go about it. You want simple, understated, yet quality menswear (no tacky splashes, no immature graphic tees, no obnoxious logos, I really shouldn't need to explain this) that fits with your physique. This involves cultivating your own fashion sense. Part of fashion is finding a style that fits you personally and can compliment your looks, and while men's fashion doesn't change as drastically as women's, if you walk into a pub looking like you're straight out of the Prohibition people will stare at you.

People dress similar to those in games/movies do and they look ridiculous, and I'm going to tell you why: Those clothes are made for them, not you. Ryan Gosling wears the Scorpion jacket from Drive so well because it was made with him in mind. They sat down, went over wardrobe, and decided on that. I can assure you that this didn't happen overnight. Putting on a hat will not automatically transform you into Dick Tracy just like putting on a red trench coat won't turn you into Dante.

Case in point:

Be the guy who aims to dress like this [http://young-stalin.com/images/13409809919517.jpeg], not like this [http://young-stalin.com/images/13368217022866.jpeg].

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
I think the main problem with your proposed look is that the elegant and dressy fedora tends to look horrendously out of place when combined with such casual attire. This should be easily countermeasured by adding a button to the fedora, thus reducing its formal impact somewhat (like Yahtzee does), or by adding a classic-style (button-front) shirt or something similar to the rest of your ensemble. Both of these options would close the gap somewhat, bringing more harmony to your overall appearance.

Another option would be to color-code your wardrobe to match the fedora. For example, if you have a black fedora, you could make sure to always wear black jeans or a black T-shirt. Or, if you're really committed, you could get several fedoras in different colors. More expensive, sure, but this way, you'd have a far wider range of options!

That said, I've perused some of the 'Fedora Fail' - portraits presented above, and hereby submit that you could easily gain the upper hand on at least half of the fedora abusers by simply getting a well-made fedora that fits!

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
I have to agree with you there. I do kind of wish I wouldn't have to think about it being a *thing* people suddenly decided. I mean, if a fedora or a trilby is worn with something too casual, sure it'll look dumb, so I'd try and match it. On the other hand, who gives a toss what other people think, especially those you'll probably never see again? People that are too concerned by public opinion, I'd guess.

It is a stupid stereotype though, but it isn't hard to expect a fancier hat to be worn with fancier clothing. I'll join your thingy if it help though~

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Okay, y'know what, go on, tell me, since everyone here apparently knows what on earth you're supposed to wear in every situation, what is an ugly person supposed to wear? Just imagine the single ugliest man you can think of, what do they wear for everyone not to be laughing and/or vomiting at the sight of them?

All I'm saying is past a certain point, there's no point in caring, because nothing is going to make people mistake you for a halfway-functional human being.

LobsterFeng

Apr 10, 2011
Doclector said:
Ain't gonna happen. I've been watching and trying to understand normal people for long enough to know that once the majority of them have made their mind up about what someone/does/wears/listens to/etc means about their personality, that's it, they'll never drop it.

I would really wish it could change. Fedoras are the only hats that lessen the glare of a low sun without cutting off my peripheral vision too much, not to mention that baseball caps always made my forehead hurt with their hard brims.

But no, this hat's fate is sealed. And I am condemned to walk around in summer evenings squinting at everything. Which I swear would make me look more like a creepy pervert than some fucking hat, but that's what's been decided.

Oh and about it not looking good without a full suit. I do know that, but for fuck's sake, I don't have a clue about fashion anyway, so I've probably already committed some awful sin with the rest of my clothes, and also, I'd still look like shit no matter what.
Just wear sunglasses man.

Zhukov said:
If you can pull it off, you won't be made fun of.

Sadly, a lot of people really, really can't pull it off.
I agree completely with this post. It's what I was going to say but now I don't need to.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
PsychicTaco115 said:
That makes my current status Euphoric. =P

OT: Honestly, though, this really is a relatively simple problem to fix: stop caring so much about what others think. Assuming that people you encounter in real life actually do stereotype you for wearing a particular piece of headwear, what of it? I say wear whatever you want and simply don't be afraid to do so. Fedora wearers just need to keep on wearing their fedoras and I doubt anyone will really even care or notice.

(Edit): Then again, Zhukov has a very good point in that it's rare to find someone who can actually pull off a fedora look and look good with it. (End Edit)

Killing the meme on the internet, however, is a horse of a different color. That is most specifically a lost cause at this point.

Bat Vader

Mar 11, 2009
Never really understood this whole fedora problem. If someone wants to wear a fedora with casual attire I see nothing wrong with it. People should just wear what they want and worry less about what others think of them.

While I do find fedoras to look cool I much prefer a Hooligan or Driver's cap.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
I still think it looks dumb and reeks of self important "LOOK HOW IN-TEH-WEH-GENT I AM!!" its liek desperatly trying to give oneself class and a personality....without having eather

that said I'm more than willing to have somone refute my preconceptions...but their so string...blame Yahtzee for it (that is to say...you are not Yahtzee)

Zhukov said:
Also, what the hell is the "blue pill/red pill thing"? How is that anything but a Matrix reference?
have you seen Disneys Hunchback of notredame?

they think everyone else is Quasi Modo
They think theyre Pheobus
theyre actually Frollo

and that doesnt even begin to describe the insantiy and WTF's I honestly suggest staying away....you break your keyboard

Hazy said:
Case in point:

Be the guy who aims to dress like this [http://young-stalin.com/images/13409809919517.jpeg], not like this [http://young-stalin.com/images/13368217022866.jpeg].
hey! the Drive jacket is pure perfection....you leave it alone!

EDIT: second guy doesnt look so bad if some of it fit better....he just looks like a overdressed hipster...and not a greasy nerd

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
LobsterFeng said:
OT: Honestly, though, this really is a relatively simple problem to fix: stop caring so much about what others think. Assuming that people you encounter in real life actually do stereotype you for wearing a particular piece of headwear, what of it? I say wear whatever you want and simply don't be afraid to do so. Fedora wearers just need to keep on wearing their fedoras and I doubt anyone will really even care or notice.
Easy to say. But when you know the sheer level of hatred surrounding such a silly thing, and when you know people are looking at you and wishing a thousand horrible fates upon you, that's a different story.

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
On the one hand, I feel as though maybe the Trilby/Fedora hat/suit combo making a comeback would be a good thing... however in terms of hat-suit combos making a comeback, perhaps it's not the best thing? I mean, let's look at our options here, we could bring back the ten-gallon hat, the Bowler hat, the Stovepipe hat, or - dare I say it - the Tricorn hat.

Show me a man who doesn't says he doesn't want to wear a tricorn hat, and, Sir, I shall show you a lying cad.

Liandar

Nov 18, 2009
Fedoras are worn by desperate people who are trying to look cool and classy but, instead of dressing well, keeping up with their hygiene or exercising, they decide to put on a hat.
And if that's not bad enough, they also wear it indoors, which pretty much negates any "class" a person might get from wearing a hat.
Also, people should stop mentioning Yahtzee when talking about fedoras/trilbies, because he is not wearing them anymore.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Vault101 said:
Zhukov said:
have you seen Disneys Hunchback of notredame?

they think everyone else is Quasi Modo
They think theyre Pheobus
theyre actually Frollo
Best example is best.

Anyway, I say that we let the Fedora wither and be a monument. It doesn't look that good anyway.

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
Bat Vader said:
Hopefully nobody runs off and gives those a bad image! :D I prefer to wear my 100-year-old leather newsboy cap. It goes with just about everything, both smart and casual.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
This is the internet. Just wait a few years, and everyone will forget that some kind of argument I've never heard before...what were we talking about again?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Liandar said:
Also, people should stop mentioning Yahtzee when talking about fedoras/trilbies, because he is not wearing them anymore.
the funny thing is Yahtzee seems to pull it off....it seems a logical extension of his personality not (as I sadi) a desperate attempt to convince people you have a personality

Drake Barrow

Jan 10, 2010
Padwolf said:
I don't hate the fedora. I don't hate what you wear it with. I don't give a damn. All I ask is that you learn the difference between a trilby and a fedora. For the love of god please people learn the damn difference. All it takes is one google search to learn. That's all you need to do. Do or wear whatever the hell you want to, however you want, but please, learn what hate you are actually wearing! Everyone, please!

As ever with fedoras, here is a handy chart.

This. This, right here, in spades. Evangelize this stuff, folks. Education saves lives!

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
The Fedora/Trilby is like parachute pants, let it go. It had its 4 milliseconds before dying off, before everybody remember that its a hat and hats are bullshit. Not my opinion by the way, Scientific fact. Like the theory of Evolution, its not actually a 'theory' because it makes so much sense... and that's why the Fedora/Trilby died off, because it couldn't pass its genes along to the next generation because nobody would fuck anybody wearing a Fedora/Trilby.

mecegirl

May 19, 2013
Bat Vader said:
Never really understood this whole fedora problem. If someone wants to wear a fedora with casual attire I see nothing wrong with it. People should just wear what they want and worry less about what others think of them.

That type of hat would be my suggestion as well. It really fits informal wear.

But I would say sometimes I don't think that it's the tribly/fedora itself that is the problem but the color. Stereotypically it is always a black, dark grey, or pinstriped version of the hat. Perhaps if it were a lighter color then it would look less formal.