I propose we work to end the hatred of the Fedora

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
delta4062 said:
I've actually criticised someone in the street for it. He was the stereotypical hiptser image we've seen in this thread. I simply said he looks fucking stupid with that hat and went on about my day.
So you were being a douchenozzle to someone who dressed differently from you. Thanks for taking the time out of your day to shit on that dude because he dared to accessorize himself in a way you disapprove. O swami of all that is fashion, what could that heretic have done to avoid invoking your wrath, aside from wearing a fedora/trilby?

*topic* I will most certainly not allow any feminista or white knight to dictate what I can and cannot put on my head. If I wanna dress like a WoW character with best in stats gear but looks like a clown [http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-uwWYJC5ZsdY/TjXKp7ogqdI/AAAAAAAAABE/nPqxuLJcYXY/s1600/nhbtk.jpg], I would do so, but I know the (social) consequences of doing it, but they don't truly matter to me, since I don't have a damn thing to lose socially.

edit: added a few corrections to my grammar

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
delta4062 said:
I've actually criticised someone in the street for it. He was the stereotypical hiptser image we've seen in this thread. I simply said he looks fucking stupid with that hat and went on about my day.
Wow. That was...quite the dick move. I am very glad I don't know you. Putting up with someone who thinks that sort of behavior is okay would not be fun.

Jan 18, 2012
IceForce said:
Are fedoras even a problem outside of the internet? Because I've only ever heard of this MRA/Feminist/Fedora problem, online.
They lurk on the internet because if they spouted their garbage in real life, they'd have a permanent, red, hand shaped spot on their faces from where they've been slapped.

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
SaneAmongInsane said:
Blow_Pop said:
Padwolf said:
I don't hate the fedora. I don't hate what you wear it with. I don't give a damn. All I ask is that you learn the difference between a trilby and a fedora. For the love of god please people learn the damn difference. All it takes is one google search to learn. That's all you need to do. Do or wear whatever the hell you want to, however you want, but please, learn what hate you are actually wearing! Everyone, please!

As ever with fedoras, here is a handy chart.
You ninja'd me! How dare you!

But I am 100% with you. I own both fedoras and a trilby. Though I'm more fond of my fedoras than the trilby I have managed to wear it once and make it look good.

to the op: If boys in trilbys would stop treating me like I'm not a person and just a machine to dispense sex because I'm read as female maybe I might like em better. As it is however.....And I'm not even talking about on the internet. There's a reason I don't go out unless I have to. Stupid boys in trilbys hitting on me and expecting me to dispense sex to them just because they are "nice" to me and then when I reject them becoming very scarily dangerous towards me.......my city is a terrible place to be unfortunately. I had my car egged after I rejected a guy(like later that night) you can't tell me that's not a coincidence since it's never been egged before.
T'was a joke topic Blow Pop, but now you've gone real on me. It's like...

Riddler: RIDDLE ME THIS BATMAN!

Batman: No, how about I Riddle you, Riddler! Who's stopping that kid 3 blocks away from being molested by his stepfather while I'm busy wasting time with your shenanigans!

Riddler: ...Wow... Geeze, you just got real on me Batman. Child Molestation? Look I'll disarm the bomb and let the hostages go, you go do what you gotta do. ...Fucking aye, I remember this shit use to be fun...

Anyway, I wouldn't really know how it is out there. I live in the suburbs, and either I'm at work or I'm home.
I actually did realise that within the first sentence but this is one of those topics that kinda rubs me wrong because it happens to me regularly(because unfortunately if I don't go out shopping I don't have food). So half of that was just venting because it's annoying as shit. And tbh, i'm really tired of people mixing up trilbys and fedoras. Two distinctly different hats.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Blow_Pop said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
Blow_Pop said:
Padwolf said:
I don't hate the fedora. I don't hate what you wear it with. I don't give a damn. All I ask is that you learn the difference between a trilby and a fedora. For the love of god please people learn the damn difference. All it takes is one google search to learn. That's all you need to do. Do or wear whatever the hell you want to, however you want, but please, learn what hate you are actually wearing! Everyone, please!

As ever with fedoras, here is a handy chart.
You ninja'd me! How dare you!

But I am 100% with you. I own both fedoras and a trilby. Though I'm more fond of my fedoras than the trilby I have managed to wear it once and make it look good.

to the op: If boys in trilbys would stop treating me like I'm not a person and just a machine to dispense sex because I'm read as female maybe I might like em better. As it is however.....And I'm not even talking about on the internet. There's a reason I don't go out unless I have to. Stupid boys in trilbys hitting on me and expecting me to dispense sex to them just because they are "nice" to me and then when I reject them becoming very scarily dangerous towards me.......my city is a terrible place to be unfortunately. I had my car egged after I rejected a guy(like later that night) you can't tell me that's not a coincidence since it's never been egged before.
T'was a joke topic Blow Pop, but now you've gone real on me. It's like...

Riddler: RIDDLE ME THIS BATMAN!

Batman: No, how about I Riddle you, Riddler! Who's stopping that kid 3 blocks away from being molested by his stepfather while I'm busy wasting time with your shenanigans!

Riddler: ...Wow... Geeze, you just got real on me Batman. Child Molestation? Look I'll disarm the bomb and let the hostages go, you go do what you gotta do. ...Fucking aye, I remember this shit use to be fun...

Anyway, I wouldn't really know how it is out there. I live in the suburbs, and either I'm at work or I'm home.
I actually did realise that within the first sentence but this is one of those topics that kinda rubs me wrong because it happens to me regularly(because unfortunately if I don't go out shopping I don't have food). So half of that was just venting because it's annoying as shit. And tbh, i'm really tired of people mixing up trilbys and fedoras. Two distinctly different hats.
Eh fair enough. For what it's worth it annoys the piss out of me as well, I read enough of it. Make a conscience effort not to be like that. But my situations different, I'm basically invisible going about my day so I really wouldn't know.

Thought maybe we could do with the sillyness of arguing over hats for a while. (PORKPIE! FTW!!!)

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
SaneAmongInsane said:
(PORKPIE! FTW!!!)
those look ridiculous on most people who wear them. As do the newsboy caps/hooligan hats/drivers hats...Or maybe that's just around here because the people who wear them out here are an eyesore(of course it would help if people could learn to match complimentary colours and stop wearing fluorescent colours too.....)

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Blow_Pop said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
(PORKPIE! FTW!!!)
those look ridiculous on most people who wear them. As do the newsboy caps/hooligan hats/drivers hats...Or maybe that's just around here because the people who wear them out here are an eyesore(of course it would help if people could learn to match complimentary colours and stop wearing fluorescent colours too.....)
It would look just as silly on me. Actually only ever had one good hat, it was a green beanie cap with rim that had Edge's logo on it. I stopped wearing it because when I'd go to the movies people would stop to ask me if I sold weed.

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
SaneAmongInsane said:
Blow_Pop said:
SaneAmongInsane said:
(PORKPIE! FTW!!!)
It would look just as silly on me. Actually only ever had one good hat, it was a green beanie cap with rim that had Edge's logo on it. I stopped wearing it because when I'd go to the movies people would stop to ask me if I sold weed.
All of those look ridiculous on me(though I do have a newsboy cap that occasionally looks good on me depending on what I'm wearing). But truth be told, I found out when I worked at Disney that as long as I can cock it to the side, a fedora looks really good on me

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
I actually have a few trilbies (just because, I guess), so can anyone tell me how to wear them without looking lame? (Especially seeing as I'm a girl who usually don't wear suits)

Riot3000

Oct 7, 2013
If have that much for a hat they need to reevaluate why their redditing is spilling over into real life because that is where I see majority of fedora hate and it will always be stupid.

I say keep wearing your fedora's and trilbies even if they wear it bad wearing a outfit bad is not the worse thing in the world.

shootthebandit

May 20, 2009
CrazyGirl17 said:
I actually have a few trilbies (just because, I guess), so can anyone tell me how to wear them without looking lame? (Especially seeing as I'm a girl who usually don't wear suits)
I think its slightly different for girls. girls with black jeans, white t-shirt and a plain black casual waistcoat will look pretty cool with a black trilby IMO (depending on the person but overall its the case)

mecegirl

May 19, 2013
shootthebandit said:
CrazyGirl17 said:
I think its slightly different for girls. girls with black jeans, white t-shirt and a plain black casual waistcoat will look pretty cool with a black trilby IMO (depending on the person but overall its the case)
It was originally a woman's hat so that may have something to do with it. That,and I don't think I've ever seen a girl wear one while being completely casual. They weren't dressed to the nines, but they did have on a nice/cute shirt, pants, skirt, or a dress on at least.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
While I do think that the clothes somebody wears can give hints to what kind of person they are, they should not be used to judge a person and fedoras are no different.

Do try to make sure that you don?t look ridiculous wearing them, they look really silly with a lot of outfits.

But no matter how you look when you wear them, tricorn hats are better.

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
A fedora (not a trilby) works with a suit, if you're a person that can wear hats. I can, i did that combo and it worked well.

Trilby + casual wear - not so much. Used to wear a red one with a red hawai-shirt in summer and that worked - but only that particular outfit.

It's just not cool if people try to bruteforce those hats into every outfit. But there are alot of common used clothes combinations i find ugly as fuck.
Women with those fur boots and then jeans tucked into the boots - good god that looks horrible and you can bet come autumn 7/10 girls in the age of 14-25 are wearing exactly that in our city. Combined with one of those thight jackets with the fur cowl.

Nope. Just Nope.

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
The problem isn't the hat but rather the people who wear the hat. The hat is just a symbol for behavior many of us don't like. Good luck trying to undermine that association. Long after the waning days of punk there remains a number of clothing styles you simply cannot wear unless you want to associate with that music or ideology.

seaweed

May 19, 2014
Unless you dress appropriately with it for an appropriate situation you're going to look like a tool. Don't wear a formal hat with a t-shirt and cargo shorts, just don't.

Plus it's associated with meme-spouting, pony-loving, women-hating neckbearded men.

Stasisesque

Nov 25, 2008
Take the hat off when you are inside.

If I don't know you, I don't give a shit what you wear on your head, body, feet, whatever. But if you wear a hat indoors in any public (if it's just you, or you're with friends, I don't care, I'm not going to be there so why would I?) situation - the cinema, restaurants, classrooms etc. I will judge the shit out of you.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
The OP hit the nail on the head of why I hate them: 'Formal hat with calual dress.'

No. Just no. I abhore this behaviour with every inch of my bone, and there is no situation where a formal hat of any ilk will work with the devil's cloth and a t shirt. Subsequently, I detest the inclusion of an ill-fitting polyester shirt and tufts of teenager standard facial hair to the look. And don't get me started on wearing trainers when not partaking in sport!

Next you will be wearing sock suspenders with board shorts, and cravats with one of those hawaiian monstrosities!