I Think I've Reached A Boiling Point When It Comes To Social Justice

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
I am a very heavy tumblr user, and I will say this over and over again. If you are seeing this shit more often than not it's either because

A) You follow people that love to engage in this sort of thing on a daily basis or

B) You go out of your way looking for it.

There are over 15 million blogs on tumblr. The most posts I've ever seen on a "SJW" issue was maybe around 300k. That's not even half a million. That means it's only a very small portion of tumblr engaging in this. And even smaller who are actually liking/reblogging it in the first place.

Of all the people I follow on tumblr (over a hundred) most of the SJW posts come from around 8 or so people. And they make up like 10% of my dashboard.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Fox12 said:
Don't be dicks.

A simple rule I think we can all live by, yeah? Mot social justice falls under this for me. I don't worry about it though, since I tend to avoid games I find distasteful anyway. I suppose I am getting tired of the smugness of certain groups, even if I agree with them in principal.
Unfortunately, it's not always that easy to recognise when you (or someone else) is being a dick. One reason we see "I'm not Xist, but..." is because people are being Xist, but don't or can't recognise that they are.

Lieju

Jan 4, 2009
Somehow I manage to use Tumblr without being bothered by anything like that, but then again I also won't flip my lid if I see pictures of ponies saying 'all bodytypes are beautiful' on my dashboard.

And considering I spend the majority of my life in an environment where I'm far more likely to face gay/fat/trans/racist jokes or sexual harassment than feminists yelling about rape, no, I can't say I am bothered by this.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
Nieroshai said:
]To be fair, all you have to find just about any flavor of SJW on the Escapist is to click on one of the many misleading or enflaming threads that land on this site's very front page. Or to just read Critical Miss. Because apparently according to JGC et al, I deserve to die.
Exactly which comic said you deserve to die? I know Critical Miss is very set in it's views but I never found any more insulting or mean spirited then a lot of other things that put political views into comedy.

On topic I feel this is more I'm tired of people telling me I'm wrong then I'm tired of "social justice"

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
lord.jeff said:
Nieroshai said:
]To be fair, all you have to find just about any flavor of SJW on the Escapist is to click on one of the many misleading or enflaming threads that land on this site's very front page. Or to just read Critical Miss. Because apparently according to JGC et al, I deserve to die.
Exactly which comic said you deserve to die? I know Critical Miss is very set in it's views but I never found any more insulting or mean spirited then a lot of other things that put political views into comedy.
That's one of the big problems with social justice, saying there is a problem that affects people is equated to advocating mass murder of everyone it doesn't affect.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Nieroshai said:
If you haven't noticed the overt hate that comic has for nonliberals (I could link to the comics but you can go look just as easily) that isn't my problem.
That's not what you said before, and not what Colour Scientist called you out on. You said Critical Miss had opined that you "deserved to die".

If that was just hyperbole, fine.

Nieroshai said:
and a sense of entitlement will invariably rear its ugly head at some point.
A sense of entitlement to what?

I don't want any vague phrases like "that we all bend over backwards", by the way; I want specifics. What do these people express "entitlement" for that goes so far beyond equal/ equivalent treatment?

beef_razor said:
Failing economies, governments funding terrorists then telling us to give up freedoms to protect us from said terrorists, WWIII always seeming to loom around the corner, weird, out of control weather, etc... complaining about the lack of social justice in games (or anywhere else it seems pointless) seems a bit silly.
People can worry about multiple things.

The state of the world worries me, but it didn't stop me simultaneously worrying about whether or not I still had any credit on my Oyster card this morning.

optimusjamie

Jul 14, 2012
beef_razor said:
What you consider social justice, is more or less these days people just bitching on the internet, which tends to amount to nothing (regardless of content,) because it's still just bitching on the internet. A lot of it (especially in gaming) feels contrived and manufactured, and I tend to dislike fake shit. There are real things to complain about in this world. Failing economies, governments funding terrorists then telling us to give up freedoms to protect us from said terrorists, WWIII always seeming to loom around the corner, weird, out of control weather, etc... complaining about the lack of social justice in games (or anywhere else it seems pointless) seems a bit silly.
"Our Earth is degenerate in these later days; there are signs that the world is speedily coming to an end; bribery and corruption are common; children no longer obey their parents; every man wants to write a book and the end of the world is evidently approaching." Assyrian stone tablet, c. 28th Century BCE.

Part of every generation has thought that they would be the last. This generation, despite having more reason to, what with global warming, nuclear weapons, terrorists and the economy, is no exception.

Wraith

Oct 11, 2011
Uhura said:
Not every article/discussion gets derailed into "SJW" territory, so the statement reads hyperbolic.
Ah, okay I see. Yeah, true that is pretty damn hyperbolic. I wanted it to come out more along the lines of "we frequently get articles that go into SJW territory", but that's what I typed out for whatever reason. I guess because I felt like they were everywhere-- my mind was being clouded by my own hysteria. My bad. Thank you for pointing that out.

[/quote]I also don't understand your complaints about tumblr. In your post you say that you follow people who "demolish the arguments of ironically bigoted "feminists"" and "I clicked follow on one SJ blog" and then complain that you can't scroll down tumblr without seeing "SJW" drama. Of course you are going to stumble across OTT "SJW" drama if you follow blogs that feature said drama. I've been using tumblr actively for a few years (and I have two blogs there) and I almost never see that stuff, unless I go looking for it on purpose.[/quote]

Hm, even more of my mixed up words, huh? Okay, I see where shit get's confusing, I'll try and explain it better in a timeline.

--Like I said in the OP I started out not minding the stuff being everywhere, because I needed to learn about these issues and I was very much into the debates that can take place online. But when I first went to Tumblr I went in looking for jokes and good times. Ended up stumbling onto an SJ blog that was being arguably bigoted. Found some laughter in watching another blogger tear apart the previous one's argument, so I ended up following them. Again, didn't mind the SJ stuff at the time-- was even in need of it, some could say.

--Spent a good portion of that time on tumblr seeing debate after debate (more like shouting matches) and actively soaking up the discussions on LGBT rights, heterosexuality, men's rights, women's rights etc. I learned a lot. However, in the process I also was exposed to a lot of the more... icky.... side of SJ. The SJW side. (Now that I think about it, wouldn't a better term for these type of people be social justice bigot or pseudojustice warrior or some shit?)

--After a while it seemed like I gathered enoguh knowledge about social activism (and hatred for bigots) enough to want to leave all that behind, but the truth of the matter is it is very hard to escape it. Because, like most would agree, the shit is everywhere, whether it be on Facebook, Twitter or out in real life (for me anyway). And like I said before once you follow a blog on there, you get recommendations to follow others like it. You could blacklist some stuff yeah, but it can still seep in. Remember, I found my first SJ blog by searching through the tag 'funny'.

--Then comes in the head pain during every discussion on SJ matters.

In closing, yeah, I agree I did make my problem seem bigger than what it was by using hyperbolic language, forgive me for that. I also got the ball rolling on this thing because I was the one who went into it. But I am not exaggerating when I say I see this stuff all the time even when not searching for it any longer. Obviously, that is because these fights still need to be fought for the people in need, but I can't really get a break from it.

Ever marathon a show all the way to the end, then when you're sick and tired of it they show re-runs on TV every time you turn it on? It's kind of like that. Does any of this help or am I just making it worse? :/

lord.jeff said:
\On topic I feel this is more I'm tired of people telling me I'm wrong then I'm tired of "social justice"
How'd you come to that conclusion?

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
Wraith said:
lord.jeff said:
\On topic I feel this is more I'm tired of people telling me I'm wrong then I'm tired of "social justice"
How'd you come to that conclusion?
Your original post only calls out one side of the debate and paints them as the only problem when both feminists and 'MRM' both add their say to all the social justice crap out there. It just seemed that you had more rage at certain viewpoints then the discussion as a whole. By the way I like the term pseudojustice warrior.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
The key is to hate humans and love humanity.
I am proud of humanity, and all the insane shit we've accomplished. I pretty generally can't stand humans, with like...100 exceptions.

Wraith

Oct 11, 2011
lord.jeff said:
Your original post only calls out one side of the debate and paints them as the only problem when both feminists and 'MRM' both add their say to all the social justice crap out there. It just seemed that you had more rage at certain viewpoints then the discussion as a whole.
Ah. I did miss them, didn't I? I guess it so easily slipped my mind since most of the aggravating stuff I read was from the "feminist" side. I rarely see anything from members of any MRA group on the social media sites I frequent. Though, I'd be a fool to say that they too don't fuck things up pretty royally when their more vitriolic members make an appearance.

By the way I like the term pseudojustice warrior.
Let's make it a thing.

AJ_Lethal

Jun 29, 2014
G.O.A.T. said:
And if you think the SJW thing is only for the "dark recesses of the internet", check out the Kinja series of blogs (Gawker, Jezebel, Gizmodo...). If you don't know what SJW implies, browse through their articles (esp. Gawker and Jezebel) and if you can stomach it-the comments. Some of those people are insane.
Only Jalopnik and Deadspin are worth reading. The rest can die in a fiery crash pit.

Apr 24, 2008
Wraith said:
How could you possibly grow tired of a social environment where everyone is arrogant and/or sanctimonious? Where it's impossible to tell whether people are being genuine with you? Where people pat themselves on the back for reblogging some bullshit and call it "fighting"?

This is a stupid environment, go talk to real people. They are polite since they aren't anonymous, it's easier to tell whether they're being genuine... and they don't say completely embarassing, borderline insane shit because they have the appropriate fear of having people laugh in their faces. There's a reason why a lot of this stuff dwells on the internet...

There is practically zero wisdom here. We're all young and stupid. Nobody has much life experience and everyone lacks tact. Being snarky seems to pass for quality contribution... Fuck it. This is the blind leading the blind. It's worthless. Learn elsewhere, and think your shit through before you take up the role of teacher.

TheMigrantSoldier

Nov 12, 2010
Nieroshai said:
To be fair, all you have to find just about any flavor of SJW on the Escapist is to click on one of the many misleading or enflaming threads that land on this site's very front page. Or to just read Critical Miss. Because apparently according to JGC et al, I deserve to die.
Are you referring to a specific comic? I never heard Grey Carter expressing any sentiment like that.