I would like to present to you, Escapist, what many are calling "the worst anime of all time".

4RM3D

May 10, 2011
FFP2 said:
Didn't the creator guy of the manga say that the anime made was intentionally shit in order to get people to read the manga instead?
If the anime series is good, doesn't that give you more incentive to read the manga, because you want more of the good stuff rather than escape from the bad stuff?

In truth, it could go both ways. But to make the anime intentionally shit is a risky move and a stupid move (IMO).

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
*snort* I laughed at the art choice, that's... well boy ain't that something.

While I like that they've somewhat attempted to capture a semblance of real life features that are more undesirable compared to your average 'everyone's got an array of perfect bods and cute faces' line anime takes by law, they've kinda forgotten that unless you exaggerate or make said features obvious and a bit more cartoonish you risk...

Well...It simply being creepy. In the Uncanny trench as someone said above. Good term for it.

It looks like really precise roto-scoping but they just did what they want with few features of it.

Though hats off for that chuckle, I needed that.

This looks like some stupid 'slice of life' bull that I never watch anyway. Life bores me enough. I need me some dragons or wacky science!

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Sacman said:
Honestly from everything that I've seen and heard, it more or less comes down to, because it's different... and it doesn;t exhume "Anime" from every pour...<.<
I don't know...

It's not just that it's rotoscoped, it's that they seem to have rotoscoped the faces aswell. Making the characters appear as something out of a nightmare vision.

Angie7F

WiseGurl
Nov 11, 2011
THe fist episode was... interesting. The story was not developed enough yet so it was hard to judge but the anime is fluid.

The third episode was hilarious in a sick way, but the character was more cuter.
It seems the creators decided to make the character more acceptable to a wider audience after the backlash from the first episode.
The story is quite weird though, and I like it.

I think not all anime have to be cute, fun, exciting and straightforward.
Obviously this anime is meant for a mature audience, and there is not need to fismiss it as a "bad" anime.
Just, different.

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
Capitano Segnaposto said:
Is that Hanako wielding a rapier, by chance?
I think it's a chess piece. You'd have to ask CaramelFrappe, he made it for me:)

4RM3D said:
If the anime series is good, doesn't that give you more incentive to read the manga, because you want more of the good stuff rather than escape from the bad stuff?

In truth, it could go both ways. But to make the anime intentionally shit is a risky move and a stupid move (IMO).
Well I don't think the Aku No Hana franchise would have gotten much attention otherwise... It's like the Dead Island of anime/manga.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
i hate anime, generaly speaking. have enjoyed it in the past, cowboy bebop, trigun, soul eater, and... that might be it. but one day, getting stuck watching Inuyasha, i determined that is the worst written show in the history of everything.

"Now i am going to use the sword of power i obtained from the Forest of Horrors"
"Inuyasha is using the sword power he obtained from the forest of horrors. oh no he forgot that the sword of power he obtained from tbhe forest of horrors is powerless outside of the forest of horrors!"
"oh no! i have forgotten that the sword of power is useless outside the forest of horrors. i must instead read from the book of prophecy i obtained after defeating the demon of nocturne."
"inuyasha is using the book of prophecy he obtained after defeating the demon of nocturne!"

yeah... that show is the worst thing to ever happen to humanity.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
TizzytheTormentor said:
Yes, I have heard of the backlash about the anime, it definitely looks awkward and is nestled deeply in uncanny valley.

I remember randomly checking a random chapter and what I saw was a dude getting sexually assaulted by a crazy lady, he runs away and runs to a burning house and then this emotionless girl talks...like a cynic.

Yeah, that was weird, not a good first chapter to land on...
You should probably take that as a warning to stay away from the whole thing all together. It just strings you along with pretentious cynicism for the sake of cynicism. It starts off as an edgy, quirky slice of life romance story, but devolves into something that thinks it's way smarter and special then it actually is.

Lugbzurg

Mar 4, 2012
Worst animé ever? I dunno... Have you heard of DearS, Lamune, and Sailor Moon? I think they'd make for good (or bad) contenders. Now, stuff like Naruto, One Piece, and Sword Art Online really doesn't interest me, but I can understand why they're popular. But this stuff!? How the heck was there ever anyone who could have thought any of this was a good idea!? Let alone entire teams to develop all this animé!?

DearS (Slavery = The basis of a good relationship?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Tw7LH9MO7g

Lamune (It's all about absolutely nothing.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDF4dgwC5AA

Sailor Moon (Whiny, nonsensical, and so predictable that it outright hands spoilers to the audience!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4ypgX79P8o

SwimmingRock

Nov 11, 2009
Well, I am massively disappoint. Here I was expecting a thread about Inferno Cop and getting my righteous indignation all fired up, so I could jump to its defense and tell you why Inferno Cop is actually quite brilliant. Instead, it's about a series I've never heard of in a sub-genre that doesn't interest me. Tried watching the videos provided, but got bored.

In short, go watch Inferno Cop and JoJos Bizarre Adventure.

Shia-Neko-Chan

Apr 23, 2008
When I read the title, my first thoughts were

"No, that would be Asobi ni Iku Yo"

but.. now I'm not so sure anymore...

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
4RM3D said:
FFP2 said:
Didn't the creator guy of the manga say that the anime made was intentionally shit in order to get people to read the manga instead?

The trouble is that if you make it too bad, then people will read the manga to see if it's better. Certainly people are already saying that the manga is better.
SwimmingRock said:
Well, I am massively disappoint. Here I was expecting a thread about Inferno Cop and getting my righteous indignation all fired up, so I could jump to its defense and tell you why Inferno Cop is actually quite brilliant. Instead, it's about a series I've never heard of in a sub-genre that doesn't interest me. Tried watching the videos provided, but got bored.

People are more lenient of short length and service anime because they're not expecting anything cerebral.

I second the JoJo recommendation.

deathzero021

Feb 3, 2012
i defiantly agree that the animation is choppy, it does look like the frame rate is kinda low. Also the faces aren't very detailed and are kinda creepy. it seems as if... they tried to capture real facial expressions and some how put them into... anime form. The end result is pretty hideous. Sure they tried something but they failed and i don't think this is passable. It's hard to tell the characters apart as well. (also i have a more recent rule where i don't watch animes that take place in highschool anymore, way too f***ing many of them)

Boogie Knight

Oct 17, 2011
I'm not thrilled with the visuals or the plot, but if we were to go to worst anime ever... we'd have to mention Fencer of Minerva at the very least for that hatecrime of a dub. However, the anime which inspires the bile comparable to Roger Ebert reviewing North would have to be Eiken. I f-ing hate Eiken, if Eiken could be embodied in a living creature I would hunt it down to the ends of the Earth and kill it. It is the ugliest anime I've seen not only in aesthetics, but in the way it crushes the human spirit with the objectification and degradation which makes your typical pervy anime look like feminist propaganda in comparison. I hate Eiken with every fiber of my being.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
Sacman said:
Honestly from everything that I've seen and heard, it more or less comes down to, because it's different... and it doesn;t exhume "Anime" from every pour...<.<
I don't know...

Tell me what these are and please tell me that they are films, because that looks gorgeous. It looks like the sort of anime you wouldn't be able to tell was one at first glance, and only after somebody told you that it was woudl you look for the visual quirks.

As for worst anime? There are plenty worse, like Kodomo No Jikan (Thanks a fucking lot for that TvTropes), or Elfen Lied.

F'Angus

Nov 18, 2009
Reminds me of the way they did the Bakshi The Lord of the Rings. Real actors just painted over. Looks really weird when the actor orcs are fighting the cartoon people (who also look like they've been painted over actors)

Anyway on the topic of good Anime I'm watching Attack on Titan..it's really good.

Captcha: Start from Scratch. Yes I think they really should with an anime this bad.

SwimmingRock

Nov 11, 2009
kailus13 said:
SwimmingRock said:

People are more lenient of short length and service anime because they're not expecting anything cerebral.

I second the JoJo recommendation.
Fair deuce, but I found out about Inferno Cop because I read it was supposedly the worst anime ever made when it came out. Considering that was only about two months ago, I was not aware the mantle had already been passed; thus I was under the impression it was still generally considered to be the worst anime ever. The world just moves so fast nowadays and I'm just sitting here telling kids to get off my cyber-lawn. Damn rapscallions!

Captcha: more coffee. You know me so well, internet.