I would like to present to you, Escapist, what many are calling "the worst anime of all time".

Tsukuyomi

May 28, 2011
I've seen my fair share of anime and cartoons in general and I think I'm with the camp that says it doesn't seem awful. Like yeah, the animation definitely isn't to my taste, but it seems clear that it's a style choice. WHY the choice was made I'm not entirely sure but there's probably a logic to the madness somewhere, even if it's not entirely apparent in the show itself.

It strikes me by and large as one of those artsy things, like if you were to ask the director: "DEAR GOD, WHY?!!?!" he'd have some comment about how it was made intentionally this way to reflect on how these characters could be any one of us, blah blah blah. I'm not sure how weird the manga gets or what but I just get that kind of "I'm high on my own creativity" kinda vibe from the art-style that makes me think that kind of an explanation would be offered.

Although if it WAS made, as has been suggested, to drive people towards the manga, props to the creator. Even if it doesn't work that's a risk that takes some balls. Although if that WERE the case I'd imagine it would have to take a pretty damn good story to make people WANT to switch. Dunno if this has that.

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
I saw the anime listed on the site I frequent for anime watchings.

I saw that it was rotoscoped (apparent in the thumbnail).

I decided not to watch it, and I haven't looked back.

I checked out the manga while twiddling my thumbs waiting for ep3 of Suisei no Gargantia though, and it was alright. Shame that it's been wasted on a rotoscoped franken-anime. Bad expirement. Shouldn't have needed the benefit of hindsight to avoid.

ninjapenguin1414

Jun 16, 2011
kajinking said:
How bad can the anime be?...

(watches clip)

OH GOD kill it with fire! Kill it with fire!!!!

Edit: Also is anyone else watching Attack on Titan, Valvrave the Liberator, and Suisei no Gargantia?

At least we get some good anime this run besides Oreimo 2!
Both Attack on Titan and Suisei no Gargantia are really good but so far Valvrave reminds me way to much of Guilty Crown in terms of wasting its potential.

Edit: OT: Honestly I tried watching it and I just couldn't get into it there is already a bunch of great anime this season so I have no desire to watch Aku no Hana which just looks depressing. Calling something the worst thing ever because the vocal majority agrees is just stupid though, no matter how bad something is someone somewhere will like it.

[REDACTED]

Apr 30, 2012
hazabaza1 said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Kodomo No Jikan.
Thanks, I just googled that without incognito mode or anything.
Jesus christ what the fuck was that.
Would you be so kind as to tell me what it is, to spare me from the potential horror of googling it?

Pyramid Head

Jun 19, 2011
So the animation isn't what you'd expect from an anime and the story is slow. Does that really make it worse than Tokyo Mew Mew or Zero no Tsukaima?

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
hazabaza1 said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Kodomo No Jikan.
Yeah, you should generally stay away from animes that have "no" in the middle of the title. :)

Except for Peter Pan no Bouken. That's a cool show.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
F said:
Reminds me of the way they did the Bakshi The Lord of the Rings. Real actors just painted over. Looks really weird when the actor orcs are fighting the cartoon people (who also look like they've been painted over actors)

Anyway on the topic of good Anime I'm watching Attack on Titan..it's really good.

Captcha: Start from Scratch. Yes I think they really should with an anime this bad.
The process is called Rotoscoping.

And while the animation technique can be done well, this particular example isn't one of those.

I can sort of see what they were trying for, a really different style.

That or they were just really really cheap and didn't give a damm.

Mr Binary

Jan 24, 2011
It's clearly not a good anime, but it's far from the worse. I think I'm going to just leave this here.

Disclaimer for language and implied scenes.

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
I'm not sure I understand the objections people pose. It's rotoscoping. It's an acquired style, intentionally removed from the usual. Having only seen a few minutes of out-of-context footage, personally I think it looks a lot more attractive than most animes I'm familiar with full stop.

Seriously, it's probably the first time outside of Ghibli's realist films that I've seen an anime and thought the art successfully rendered Japanese people.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
The reactions were hilarious. The manga isn't half-bad, so I was waiting to see how the anime would turn out.....and oh wow.

Rotoscoping has been used sparingly in anime before that if you had talked about the idea of an anime being completely rotoscopped everyone would have laughed at you.

It's not even good rotoscoping.

Also: the worst anime is Sword Art Online.

Atbird said:
hazabaza1 said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Kodomo No Jikan.
Would you be so kind as to tell me what it is, to spare me from the potential horror of googling it?
Ok, I think these guys are overblowing it.

First I should mention that there are TWO titles called Kodomo no Jikan. Both were manga made anime.

The first one is very obscure. It's about three young boys who tie up and rape their highschool baby-sitter over the course of a week. It's hentai plain and simple. But as I said, it's obscure and you'd have to look very hard for anyone who talks about it.

The second one is more well-known because of its lolita art. It's about a young elementary school girl who flirts with her male teacher and how he deals with refusing her sexual advances and tries to help her as he believes a teacher should. It's actually written and drawn by a FEMALE AUTHOR, who bases numerous situations in the story on her own elementary school life.

While there are people who read it for the erotica, no one should be instantly screaming "ONLY PEDOS READ THIS."

kajinking said:
How bad can the anime be?...

(watches clip)

OH GOD kill it with fire! Kill it with fire!!!!

Edit: Also is anyone else watching Attack on Titan, Valvrave the Liberator, and Suisei no Gargantia?

At least we get some good anime this run besides Oreimo 2!
Both Attack on Titan and Suisei no Gargantia are really good but so far Valvrave reminds me way to much of Guilty Crown in terms of wasting its potential.
[/quote]

Are you kidding? Valerave knows what it is, it doesn't take itself seriously at all. It combines the fabulous of Code Geass, generic space opera setting (ala LOGH, Macross, Gundam, or at the minimum, Rinne no Lagrange) and has Space Vampires AND Space Nazis.

No doubt it will waste its potential. But goddamn it's entertaining.

But yeah no argument on Titan or Gargantia. I was a big fan of the Titan manga, and the anime has been perfect so far.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Atbird said:
hazabaza1 said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Kodomo No Jikan.
The images I saw involved what looked to be a 5 year old giving a blowjob and another 5 year old with tits coming out of the shower but having no nipples.
Shit's creepy.

RoonMian

Mar 5, 2011
Lt._nefarious said:
Oh, so like a Scanner Darkly? I loved a Scanner Darkly, that looks decent but man... A Scanner Darkly was something... Wow, I just lost so much art-cred, didn't I?

OT: As someone who as watched 3 anime movies... 2 of which were Dragon Ball Z things, one might have just been 2 episodes,I can honestly say that Aku No Hana, or whatever it's called, I forget, is the worst. From those 30 seconds of footage.

Yeah, A Scanner Darkly was the same technique by the same director but Waking Life was 5 years prior and a lot wackier. :D

Ultress

Volcano Girl
Feb 5, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
hazabaza1 said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Kodomo No Jikan.
Yeah, you should generally stay away from animes that have "no" in the middle of the title. :)

Don't forget about Eve No Jikan,which is also quite great.

Talaris

Sep 6, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
hazabaza1 said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Kodomo No Jikan.

Challenge accepted.

*Goes to personal list at myanimelist

Well it looks like almost every Ghibli film has a "no" in it, but they're not shows so I guess it doesn't count.

Shows I've seen with "no" in the title are:

Midori no Hibi - A great comedy, though you could say the premise is "odd" to say the least.
Sora no Otoshimono - Stay away if you hate fanservice, or if you like to watch a likeable protagonist.
Toaru Majutsu no Index/Kagaku no Railgun - Both shows are an exception, great action series.
Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu - Nothing needs to be said.
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni - Stay away if you like to sleep well at night. Actually I do love this show, save for the Kira OVAs, yeah avoid those like the plague.
Umineko no Naku Koro ni - Same deal as above, only way more over the top.
Yosuga no Sora - I admit I liked it, but casual viewers should be warned of the premise.
Onii-chan no Koto nanka Zenzen Suki Janain Dakara ne!! - Similar premise to the one above, only less extreme and more comedy.
Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai - Great otaku comedy, definitely an exception.
Ore no Kanojo to Osananajimi ga Shuraba Sugiru - Decent show, but is a harem which will put some off.

Edit: Oh damn there are loads more, well I don't want to derail the thread any further.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I finally got around to watching it. I never read the manga, though I know the gist of it.
1) The rotoscoping just looks really bad to me.

2) The acting is goddamn horrible. It's got a serious cases of B-list J-Drama overacting. This style can work in certain cases, usually in comedies; but when trying to tell a story seriously i just can't help at laugh.

Combining these to problems together, the characters become unrelateable blobs of colour that are incredibly hard to sympathize with. As a rule of thumb, if you're rotoscoping actors, you should probably get good actors. Given this is by and large a character driven show, I see this as a pretty huge problem.

However, I think the direction overall is pretty good (not the same as saying the show is good). While I might have qalms with the acting, I think it's framed and shot well. A lot of people had issues with the pacing, but I thought it was okay. Yes, nothing happens in the first episode, but to me it drives home the mundane nature of the main character's life.

ronald1840

Oct 4, 2010
This is ridiculous, people. Aku no Hana isn't anywhere the worst anime. Flowers of Evil is different, and this adaptation fits the tone of the manga which is unsettling and isolated view of society and the main protagonist's growing perversions.

I don't think anyone who's been watching anime for 7+ years would claim this as the worst. This, Tatami Galaxy, Inferno Cop, and Mind Game(2004), and Angel's Egg are all works that process their themes in a way that the viewer takes in a different experience than other shows and is thrown into their message. Whether the viewer wanted to be exposed to the anime in question's themes bluntly like that is something that can vary based on their tastes, but there's nothing bad about it. People are over-exaggerating and excited over something to jump on. It's happened plenty of times before, even with Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt that got much worse attention than this initially for its style.

For everyone, this is just a passing fad and in less than a year's time another anime will be produced that stands out from the mass and will be branded all sorts of things. I'm enjoying the manga and am excited by the fact that every time I sit down to watch Aku No Hana it'll have a different effect on me than watching any other typical shonen, harem I can find dozens off. I feel that the manga is superior in this cause, but I can understand how the anime can easily communicate its ideas to the viewer through motion easier than thinking on the character's dialogue.

It's creepy and it's a mess that only gets harder to put into logic the more you think on it. The acting and expressions are just as surprising as the static art in the manga. Looking back, I'd say this is one of the best adaptations of a manga in a few years in how it transfers the manga's narrative and themes.

[REDACTED]

Apr 30, 2012
hazabaza1 said:
Atbird said:
hazabaza1 said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Kodomo No Jikan.
The images I saw involved what looked to be a 5 year old giving a blowjob and another 5 year old with tits coming out of the shower but having no nipples.
Shit's creepy.

Oh. Well then. On a completely unrelated note, you know what are great? Showers. Long, long showers.