If you could ask a Developer anything, what would it be?

Liberaliter

Sep 17, 2008
If you were given the opportunity to sit down with a specific individual developer from any studio, big or small, what would be the question you would want answered?

I would want to know how far the development process kills interest a developer had for their game by the time of release. What about you guys?

Dec 14, 2009
Hey Bioware, don't you wish you could just tell EA to fuck off and market your games the way you want to market them, instead appeasing the lowest common denominator?

krazykidd

Mar 22, 2008
SirBryghtside said:
I'm going to ninja about a thousand people here and say 'Gabe - Episode 3'.
DAMMIT ! I came in here wanting to say that. "GAEB y no epsidoe tree !"

Fine then i'll change my answer.

Dear squaresoft ... WHAT THE HELL? ENIX? REALLY? Then i will proceed to facepalm.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Like everyone else, I would probably ask something bitchy and complaint-ish.

"Planet scanning, guys? Really? Did you play-test that at all? Like, at all? Two whole years and nobody had the guts to stand up and point out how fucking tedious it is?"

"Why the hell does Serious Sam need reloads and a sprint key?"

"Episode 3, ************. WHEN?"

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
Zhukov said:
Like everyone else, I would probably ask something bitchy and complaint-ish.

"Planet scanning, guys? Really? Did you play-test that at all? Like, at all? Two whole years and nobody had the guts to stand up and point out how fucking tedious it is?"

"Why the hell does Serious Sam need reloads and a sprint key?"

"Episode 3, ************. WHEN?"
I can't think of a game in recent memory that hasn't had at least 2-3 things in it that like...really, really should have either been killed at the planning stage, or brought up at the planning stage.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I would ask what the guys in charge of BioWare have been smoking recently. All they ever seem to say now is, "we have a great RPG heritage that people love, and this is why all we're going to talk about now is getting a 'wider audience'".

They seem to believe that since Mass Effect was better suited to less skill points-style stuff (ala ME2), that's all people want, and that its best for every series.

What was great about having Mass Effect 2 and DA: Origins knocking about at the same time is that they were two different takes on what's already an RPG sub-genre.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
"Rocksteady, Y U NO MAKE WORKING PC GAME WITH THE EXTRA MONTH YOU TOOK?!?!"

EDIT: Oh, and why the hell they think their game needs SecuROM, Games for Windows Live, and Steamworks if you get it from Steam.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Naughty Dog, how do you feel about the Crash games now? Are you disgusted? Do you feel remorse? Hold me.

GraveeKing

Nov 15, 2009
So - can I have a job with your company?
Would be mine, learning to be a video game developer and all....

Or at the very least ask for tips and advise on producing a game.
The way I see it - no need to ask a question you'll learn yourself if you work with it long enough and start doing it yourself!

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Saintcole said:
Blizzard:Mists of Pandaria WHY!!!!!!
Ninja'd.

@ Bioware, re: TOR. do you guys actually know the difference between an MMO and a Single Player RPG?

Gorilla Gunk

May 21, 2011
Hey Valve, why do you suck so much at the whole DLC thing? Every other company I know can release sizable DLC in a timely manner. Bethesda, Bioware, Infinity Ward/Treyarch. I mean, how long have you been working on that Cold Stream pack? Eight months? Eight months to finish off an already partially completed community map and port the rest of the L4D1 maps over to L4D2? Really? Seriously, you can only use the "Microsoft won't let us" excuse for so long before people start realizing you guys have no idea what you're doing.

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
Hey CyberConnect2, why aren't you going to localize .Hack//Link? You evil bastards.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
EA, why are you so determined to run off your entire customer base? Permabanning people from Origins with automatic swear detection software, DRM (which gamers hate anyway) that expires and causes people to have to go through more hoops later, your horrible and degrading ad campaigns which do not entice gamers and only give non-gamers more ammo to fire against the games industry later...it's like you want to fail, and bring all of gaming down with you. Just...why?

IKSA

Jun 30, 2011
believer258 said:
Bioware - Did you decide to streamline ME2, put multiplayer in ME3, and push DA2 out the door to quickly, or was that EA's decision?

Because I think it's entirely possible that either one did it, or maybe both are partners in crime. Nobody ever seems to think about the possibility of Bioware being a bunch of evil bastards.
Ninjas everywhere :(

Anaklusmos

Jun 1, 2010
Team Meat, how do you feel about making incredibly hard games, like do you enjoy making hard games knowing the huge burst of happiness people will get from finally overcoming something challenging, or do you enjoy knowing that every few minutes a gamer curses your name and existence?