I'm a vegan and I come in peace...

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
First, it's nice to see an interesting post with actual discussion value, especially as a first thread. +1 for trying so hard not to push your views onto others or guilt trip as well.

To the topic at hand.

(NOTE: all of this is form my personal experience, Vegan family members, raised by veggie parents but they never tried to push it on me, I was allowed to eat whatever; but my mum wouldn't cook it)

Yes, we can live with no animal produce. Yes we would be healthier. Yes it would mean we could support a higher population. This is all true.

Thing is, people don't think animals have a right to live their life (I'm not saying they do, just an example). It is the general human belief, as shown by this thread so far, that in being the most intelligent and dominating species we have the right to do as we wish to anything else. I can understand this, and there seems to be some reasonable logic for it. Also, it's seen as a cultural oddity, even weakness, to be veggie/vegan (which I think is bullshit, if someone has the balls to do what they think is right without harming others, respect that) Honestly, I think people eat meat because they enjoy it and it is normal (culturally).

I can also understand the views of a strict vegan. The core belief that animals have a right to life in the same way that humans do makes sense to me and just because you can't really live without any products which have, in some way, killed an animal (you know, without being totally self-sufficient). It doesn't mean you shouldn't try to reduce the damage you do as much as possible. This is a perfectly reasonable approach. People like PETA give you guys a bad name. Big time.

In fact, on the subject of PETA, wtf.
Seriously, they kill most of the animals they 'rescue'. I can understand the belief that humans should not use animals, or even keep them as pets. But really? You think killing things and using sensationalist, extreme examples is going to help your cause? Nope, you just set it back by a long time. Good going guys.

Final thought: wow, I was kinda ambiguous about my personal beliefs there, I feel like a true politician.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
andeve3 said:
"Murder is considered morally wrong because it causes physical pain to the victim, and more importantly it is theft of the victims sentience.
Murder, "the crime of unlawfully killing a person especially with malice aforethought". Animals aren't people. Murder is considered wrong because you're depriving a person of their right to live, not because you're "stealing their sentience". You can't steal sentience. Physical pain has nothing to do with murder, that falls more in line with torture.

andeve3 said:
This is relevant both to humans and other sentient species capable of feeling pain, it is ideal to avoid causing pain whenever possible.
Animals are not sentient.

andeve3 said:
It is ideal to avoid causing pain, or to minimize inevitable pain.
Why?

andeve3 said:
Murder is wrong because of the pain it causes (among other things).
Wrong on all accounts.

andeve3 said:
A variety of animals commonly harvested for food, are capable of experiencing physical pain.
So what? They're not sentient.

andeve3 said:
We don not need to kill these animals for food.
Yeah we do. We're omnivores. The ideal diet for us would be a balance between meat and vegetables. Going only meat or only vegetables is bound to cause certain problems or force you to take supplements.

andeve3 said:
Killing animals capable of feeling pain for food, when there are other sources of food available, is not justifiable.
Who cares, they're tasty. In fact, I'm gonna go make myself some bacon. Fuck yeah.

andeve3 said:
I guess claiming there is no argument is easier than responding to it ;)
It's actually the other way around. You're just trying to take the moral high ground here because vegans generally think of themselves as being better than the common human.

jimahaff

Apr 28, 2011
Cadmium Magenta said:
Human beings are omnivores, which means that we can eat almost anything. There are many divergent nutritional studies and opinions out there, but the gist seems to be that we can get by equally well on meat- or plant-based diets or any combination thereof, as long as we spend some time thinking about what nutrients we need and where to get them.

This means that there is no biological need for us to eat meat. We simply feel like eating it.

Therefore, whenever we kill an animal for food, we are essentially deciding that our appetite is more important than that creature's life. We are inflicting deadly violence on a defenseless being, simply for our own pleasure. Personally, I don't think that's ethical behavior.
This is the best argument for turning vegan I have ever heard, even if you didn't mean it that way. Props for staying away from the meat is murder/ animals have rights equal to humans spin. Serious Props.

The animals are equal to humans angle is the reason I avoid most Vegans and don't take them seriously, even it they don't really believe that, it always sounds like it to me. I think the reason I eat mean is because I don't empathize with animals the way I do with humans. Don't get me wrong, I always feel like a monster whenever I trip over my cat on my way to the bathroom at 2am; but that is because I caused my cat unnecessary pain. As opposed to killing a cow who was born to become a hamburger. I can't rationalize the feelings and desires of animals as being on the same level as the feelings and desires of people(am I racist towards animals?[speciesist???{is that a real thing?!?!?!?!?}]).

So yes my desire to eat meat is more important to me than the desire of a cow to not be eaten. Even though when I say it that way I sound like a dick.

P.S. keep the interesting topics coming, and welcome to the Escapist. I sincerely hope you decide to stick around.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
AndyFromMonday said:
Apologies for pointing this out, but I think it's generally accepted that they are. This is why we don't generally allow (unnecessary) cruelty or sadism towards animals.

The term 'sentient' implies that you have the ability to have subjective experiences, it doesn't imply that you possess the ability to reason. A human infant is sentient even though it cannot reason, we accept that an infant can suffer (for example) which would not be possible to sustain if it didn't have subjective experiences.

I think you'd be very hard pressed to suggest that sentience is a uniquely human attribute. The fact that most higher-order animals react to pain is actually a very good case that they can 'suffer' in whatever form that takes and therefore are sentient just as a human baby is sentient.

As human beings, we generally accept both morally and legally that having animals not feel pain is theoretically 'good'. If I starved and beat my dog and then claimed it was fine because it couldn't suffer, I think the relevant authorities would disagree with me.

I know science fiction has been using the wrong definition of sentient, but it's not accurate. The debate around consciousness or intelligence is far more grey than this simple misconception implies.

Siege_TF

May 9, 2010
evilthecat said:
AndyFromMonday said:
Apologies for pointing this out, but I think it's generally accepted that they are. This is why we don't generally allow (unnecessary) cruelty or sadism towards animals.
A government is responcible, among other things, for the welfare of it's most vulnerable denizens. Specifially the young, the old, the infirm, and the animals. How well it sees to this duty of care is one of the ways the civility of a society can be judged. This is why animal cruelty is illegal, why 'cruelty' has many definitions partaining to the use of animals, which have evolved along with that (and by 'that' I mean North American) society. I suggest reviewing the thread about he Big Picture episode 'Maddening'.

Anyways...

I think wording like "inflicting deadly violence" cannot be interpreted as anything other than inflammatory, and the insistance otherwise is passive agressive.

As far as Bob's not wearing leather is conscerned I don't actually understand it myself, at least as far as cow and crocodile leather goes. Both animals are killed for ther meat, and not using their skin and the secretions of certain organs which go into making leather (or at least they did at one point) seems wasteful. One might as well swear off glue and gelatin.

Minks, snakes, and other leather or fur exclucive animals are an exception because the meat isn't consumed (except certain snakes, and only as a novelty, whereas crocodile is a staple in certain areas).

Nuke_em_05

Mar 30, 2009
Cadmium Magenta said:
... we are not animals... We are moral beings and as a result of our morality, we place innumerable restrictions on ourselves for the greater good: We prohibit or disapprove of theft, murder, rape, deception, defamation etc.

So why do we think it's okay to deprive an entire species of their liberty and kill them for their flesh?
You make a distinction between humans and animals, which to you indicates that humans are "above" eating meat for moral obligations. You assert that humans should be held to a higher standard of some kind. That's all well and good, I suppose, but then the onus on you is to demonstrate why animals are entitled to the same rights as humans if they can't be held to the same responsibilities.

We hold humans accountable to violent crimes against humans because humans are rational and moral beings, which we have deemed entitles them to rights of life and liberty. In asserting that animals are not rational and moral beings; you are denying them the requirements to those rights.

Otherwise, we are all just animals doing what animals naturally do.

-|-

Aug 28, 2010
Denamic said:
The ethics of domesticating and exploiting animals are very questionable, definitely.
But taking them away from nature is absolutely doing them a favour.
Yes. From an evolutionary perspective - domestication is very successful for animals (current theory is that dogs pretty much domesticated themselves).

In the wild, most animals will live stressful lives and die a horrible deaths; either starving to death or being eaten. My view is that the debate shouldn't be about whether we eat them or not (we should) - it should be about how we look after them before we do.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Nuke_em_05 said:
We hold humans accountable to violent crimes against humans because humans are rational and moral beings, which we have deemed entitles them to rights of life and liberty.
What about crimes against human babies, or those with severe learning difficulties or brain damage?

A human is not essentially more rational or moral than a cow, it's something which is context dependent. Why do we punish people for murdering irrational and amoral babies but not irrational and amoral cows?

Speciesism is the only answer which makes sense.

I have no investment in this, I'm an entirely unconcerned meat eater, I just don't think this argument is rationally sustainable.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
evilthecat said:
Apologies for pointing this out, but I think it's generally accepted that they are.
Really? By who? The Animal Lover's Society of America?

evilthecat said:
The term 'sentient' implies that you have the ability to have subjective experiences
Sentience is the ability to feel, perceive or be conscious, or to have subjective experiences. It's not all about "subjective experiences". It has more to do with having a consciousness to be honest.

evilthecat said:
A human infant is sentient even though it cannot reason, we accept that an infant can suffer (for example) which would not be possible to sustain if it didn't have subjective experiences.
Wrong. We accept an infant can feel pain, not that it can suffer. The reason physical and emotional pain takes such a toll on humans is because we eventually develop a consciousness, something which animals do not.

evilthecat said:
As human beings, we generally accept both morally and legally that having animals not feel pain is theoretically 'good'. If I starved and beat my dog and then claimed it was fine because it couldn't suffer, I think the relevant authorities would disagree with me.
They would disagree with you because we've formed a culture around "pets". For example, you would be hard pressed to find a police officer who would arrest you for beating your snake. On the other hand, beating your dog would probably get you a hefty fine. It's funny, you're more likely to end up in jail for beating your dog than beating your children.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
I'm physically unrecommended to even have a vegetarian or pescatarian lifestyle, I get dangerously low on proteins sometimes and no amount of nuts and fruit is going to keep me above the levels needed to stay healthy and energized.

So that is my excuse, I don't necessarily like that my choices to stop have been taken from me but even then I think If I could, I'd eat only fish, anyway, I like fish too much, everything else? (yes even bacon) I could really live without (taste) but I can't.

GamerPhate

Aug 22, 2008
We are Omnivores, we are meant to eat both. Squirrels are like that, they eat like nuts and what ever, but they are omnivores, and if a bird starts messing with him but the squirrel wins, he doesn't let the meat go to waste.

But let me ask you this. Now I am totally on par with not hurting animals, but think about this, killing a plant has likely got to hurt it as well. They have done tests with devices to measure levels of various things in a plant and have detected a "digital scream" when you damage a plant So because the plant doesn't have eyelashes to bat at you, or eyebrows to furl, that means its okay to kill it instead, because you will never hear it scream, just taste it's tears.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
AndyFromMonday said:
Sentience is the ability to feel, perceive or be conscious, or to have subjective experiences. It's not all about "subjective experiences". It has more to do with having a consciousness to be honest.
No.. 'Consciousness' is about having a consciousness.

Sentience. Derives from the Latin 'sentire' (to feel), same root as the English word 'sense'.

Read down a few lines on wikipedia please.

AndyFromMonday said:
Wrong. We accept an infant can feel pain, not that it can suffer. The reason physical and emotional pain takes such a toll on humans is because we eventually develop a consciousness, something which animals do not.
I don't really know what you are claiming to mean by consciousness at this point, you seem to be trying to conflate a huge number of variables into one thing.

Also, you're kind of wrong. Humans do not suffer a special degree of trauma, in fact the ability to repress (which comes from ego formation, not from consciousness) means that humans often react less to physical and emotional trauma than animals (through the visible medium of developing learned responses and associations).

AndyFromMonday said:
They would disagree with you because we've formed a culture around "pets". For example, you would be hard pressed to find a police officer who would arrest you for beating your snake.
Actually, a couple of people in my city were charged with abusing a snake. It's in the paper today.

AndyFromMonday said:
On the other hand, beating your dog would probably get you a hefty fine. It's funny, you're more likely to end up in jail for beating your dog than beating your children.
No you're not. You just made that up.

richd213

Mar 2, 2011
Interesting double standard there. You say that we aren't animals because we have a choice in matters and can make decisions but then you say that killing an animal is robbing it of its "liberty". What liberty do you think these animals have if all they can do is follow their instinct?

Webb5432

Jul 21, 2009
Well, I don't have a problem either way, but for me, meat a) tastes good, b) gives me protein, and c) just like animals, plants actually make starch, protein, and everything else for themselves and their seeds. Taking the fruit of a plant is like eating from the womb of any creature.

Holy crap, does that sound sick. But it's true.

Humans can eat both, there's no debate here. Also, because humans can interact with animals easier than plants, it is very common for people to feel guilty about killing them for food. But, sadly, it happens all to time for carnivores, herbivores and omnivores. We either eat other carnivores/omnivores/herbivores/plants to get out food, while plants take in the energy of the sun to make theirs. The sun gets its fuel from w/e, and so on. It's just the cycle of life.

What I'm saying is that if you want to be vegan and you see it as the more moral choice for you, then by all means do so. But I also mean to say that, for people who are reading this, whether you eat meat or not is totally okay. There is no evidence that it is right or wrong. And if consuming others for your own gain is unethical, every creature on earth needs a stern talking to.

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Monoochrom said:
But they aren't and animals aren't self-aware.
A wide variety of ape species, dolphins and a small number of dogs have demonstrated self-awareness. A human child only begins to display self awareness 6 to 18 months after birth. Is it cool to kill them before that stage?

Self awareness refers to the ability to look at yourself in a mirror and recognize that you're looking at yourself, not another person (at least, that's how it's usually measured as far as I'm aware). It's not a mystical barrier which only humans have ever crossed.

If there is a mystical barrier which separates human and animal intelligence, it's the capacity for language, and there are still serious debates about where that line should fall (personally, I'm with Chompsky, I don't think animals can develop language). The lack of language precludes a huge number of things, cognitively speaking, but it certainly doesn't preclude sentience or even self-awareness.

Cadmium Magenta

Nov 25, 2011
Wow :)

Thank you all very much for your contributions. I would never have expected such resonance.

Unfortunately, there are so many replies raising so many different points and aspects that I couldn?t possibly reply to all of them individually. I have, however, read them and tried to roughly group them thematically into the following statements:

Animals are inherently inferior to us and therefore not entitled to the same moral consideration as our fellow human beings.

I have to say that I have difficulty in seeing the general benefit of dividing the world into superior and inferior. This is of course a paradigm that we?re very familiar with throughout history: We have often brutally subjugated and exploited one another by claiming that one particular group of humans is superior to others. Personally, I think notions of supremacy are always a means to an end: We mark others as inferior because we gain something from dominating them. This gain can be material, as with animal products, or purely psychological, in that looking down on other groups or species makes us feel better about ourselves.

Today, we have evolved to a point where most of us view all forms of discrimination towards other human beings as reprehensible. This to me is proof that our morality is indeed advancing and that we are not doomed to be forever mired in our supposedly ?natural? destructive selfishness. To now extend this progressed empathy beyond the species barrier, to all beings who are able to value their own lives, fight for their survival and feel love, grief and pain, is to me a logical conclusion of this process.

Someone said animals don?t have a right to either life and liberty. Neither do humans, at least not naturally. Human rights is something we invented for ourselves, because we desire to minimise our own suffering and that of our fellow human beings. Why? Because we don?t like suffering. It?s a privilege that we freely grant to each other, for the greater good, even though we certainly don?t have to. It makes sense to extend this right to animals, because what drives us to act morally toward one another is not simply the recognition that we?re of the same species, but the recognition that we can both suffer and that suffering should be avoided.

Humans have managed to become the dominant species on Earth and are therefore justified in subjugating other species at their discretion.

It?s true that we are dominant. No other species has had and is having such a tremendous impact on the planet. But if we look at climate change, poverty, war, avoidable diseases, economic crises, the extinction of species and all other forms of injustice, I don?t think we deserve a pat on the back for how we have made use of our dominance. Of course human beings have also made many positive achievements, in arts, science, philosophy and morality, but by and large our presence on this planet has been very destructive, to the extent that we are currently struggling to ensure our own survival. Or rather, we are struggling to wake up to the fact that we need to make some drastic changes in order to ensure our survival.

I think that these considerations should lead us to question our claim to total superiority. I think that we should adopt a more humble outlook on this planet, which we share with an immeasurable wealth of other species, and work out a way for us to co-exist with them in a sustainable and non-violent way.

The animals we eat are purpose-bred to be killed anyway, so if we stopped eating them, they wouldn?t exist.

I don?t think this holds up as an argument. Yes, we have domesticated cows, pigs and chickens to the extent that they are now entirely dependent on us, entirely at our mercy. Through eugenics, we have remodeled them to boost attributes that are beneficial to us (weight, milk capacity), which has gone so far that a factory-farmed chicken now grows to many times her natural size, which causes her bones to snap under her own weight. In short, we have created billions of ?Frankenstein? animals for the sole purpose of serving us as ?meat machines?. I don?t think the consideration that they wouldn?t exist without us exploiting them is a sufficient justification, because the one ability that we seem unable to breed out of animals is the ability to feel: Love, grief, pain, the desire to be free.

And yes, if we released all cows, pigs and chickens into the wild, they would quickly be set upon by predators and killed, which would also have a significant ecological impact (not sure if they would simply die out though... there aren?t enough predators to slay all current livestock, so I presume a considerable population of these animals would survive and eventually re-evolve into their feral ancestors). But that?s beside the point. The point is that I believe we are not morally justified in breeding, imprisoning and killing animals for food in the first place.

I think when we create life for the sole purpose of exploiting it for our pleasure, it?s not ethical for us to do so.

Organic/free range animals enjoy a good life, which makes it ethically unproblematic to kill and eat them.

The same reasoning as above applies here: No matter how good the animal?s life has been, he or she is still going to be killed in the prime of his or her life, which is violence just as needless as is the case with a factory-farmed animal. I personally don?t believe in the notion of ?humane? slaughter. Whether a killing is humane depends not only on the technique, but more importantly on the motivation.

Veganism is unhealthy:

This would require a whole separate thread. In a nutshell, it depends.

A vegan diet, if planned poorly, can result in various nutrient deficiencies, such as Protein, Iron or Vitamin B12. Many people turn vegan without doing their homework and end up eating a very one-sided diet that does not contain foods rich in vital nutrients. However, this is just as true of a poorly planned meat-based diet, as is very evident in the Standard American Diet, which through its overemphasis on meat and dairy has led to endemic obesity and heart disease, among others.

The bottom line is, no matter what you eat, you should think about whether you?re getting all you need.

Protein can be easily obtained from many non-animal foods, it?s in pasta, bread, nuts, broccoli, what have you. Iron is found in all leafy greens, especially kale and spinach, but also in all kinds of beans. Vitamin B12 is the only truly tricky part, as this nutrient does not occur naturally in either animal or plant products. B12 is generated through bacteria, which animals ingest and cultivate when they feed. Because we humans clean our food too well, we exterminate these bacteria and therefore can only obtain B12 ?second-hand? by eating either animal products or taking supplements.

All good soy milk brands are fortified with B12 to balance this out. Additionally, a vegan can take a multivitamin for an added boost. Supplementation or fortification with nutrients is nothing special. Most milks are artificially fortified with Vitamin D, we enhance our food with additives all the time. Of course, when half your diet consists of pills, you should start to worry. This is however not the case for a properly planned vegan diet.

I?ve been vegan for a year, after being vegetarian for four years, and just went for a health check-up and blood test. I?m perfectly healthy and lacking in nothing. As for the theory that some individuals might require animal products while others don?t, I?m honestly not sure. I?ve never heard of nutritional requirements diverging so massively within the same species. I acknowledge and respect some people's accounts though who have tried veganism and couldn't cope with it.

I think tastes can be cultivated and not necessarily every craving our body has is for something that?s good for us (consider sweets or drugs).

Interestingly, there are quite a few vegans and vegetarians who couldn?t care less about animal rights, but switch their diets purely for health reasons.

Human rights should always come before animal rights:

Absolutely, I agree. But only when they are mutually exclusive, which they often aren?t. Quite the contrary, if we?re concerned with not just ending human suffering, but ending all suffering, we can take a comprehensive approach that benefits both humans and animals, to the detriment of neither. Just like we can abstain from animal products, we can choose not to buy products from companies that exploit their workforce or pollute the environment. Consider how quickly Apple would change the inhuman regime imposed on their Chinese manufacturers, if only 20 per cent of their customers demanded it and stopped buying their products until their demand was met. Unfortunately, here too the power that we hold is stilted by our fatalism, the conviction that we can?t stop global injustice anyway, so why bother. This is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Companies need us to give them money, governments need us to validate them. If each and every person started making ethical purchases, things would change very, very fast.

I think we should stop hiding behind cynicism and start exploring the powers we have.

I would never argue that animals are more important than humans. Personally, I just don?t really think in terms of what being is more or less important, unless I?m actually in a situation where someone holds a gun to my head and forces me to choose.

If you?re vegan out of respect for life, this should extend to ALL life, including fish, insects, plants, even bacteria.

Absolutely. I think we should respect all forms of life, wherever we encounter them, to whatever extent is possible and within reason. Why squish bugs and spiders? It?s not their fault they freak us out. We can scoop them up and toss them outside. Sure, they might be killed there by another predatory animal... but we don?t need to take their lives, we can give them a second chance, we have it within our power to show mercy, and I think we should use that power whenever we can. We shouldn?t stomp on flowers either... why destroy life that by rights we should celebrate?

Don?t get me wrong, I?m not saying we should sacrifice our own safety for the sake of lofty ideals. If I see a tiger charging my way and I have a shotgun handy, you can be sure I?ll blast the *****.

Veganism is hypocritical because there is no way you could completely cut out all animal products or by-products from modern life.

This is the ?all or nothing? stance. Essentially, the suggestion here is that if we cannot behave 100 per cent ethically in every single aspect of our lives, we shouldn?t try to live ethically at all. I don?t agree, and I think neither do most people. For example, few people would argue that we should stop trying to prevent wars just because we can never make completely sure that wars will never happen. Of course nobody can become a complete saint, but I think we should try to be as good as we can.

That of course doesn?t mean that you don?t have every right to be pissed off if a vegan claims to be completely morally pure and decides to look down on you just because he?s made one or two ethical choices in one aspect of their lives. Again, I don?t look down on anyone. I might be more ethical than meat-eaters in terms of my diet, but there are probably many meat-eaters who are much more ethical than me in many other respects. I?m a flawed human being just like the next person. Morality without humility isn't worth much.

Morality is subjective. Some are okay with killing, others aren?t. Each to their own.

I disagree strongly. When it comes to the bare basics of how human beings ought to live, there is one fundamental similarity across all world cultures, which is that needless violence is always problematic. No society simply allows wanton, arbitrary violence. The question is of course who gets to define when violence is needless and when there is a need. In Western societies, forms of violence that are considered acceptable include the killing of animals for food, the imprisonment of criminals or restrictions on children. I think in each case we are quite acutely aware that we negatively influence another life through violence in one way or another, and therefore we need to justify our actions accordingly: We can?t just let our children roam free, because they haven?t yet grown up to act responsibly in this world and might get run over by a car. We can?t just let the criminal off the hook, because he might commit crime again, and safeguarding the wider population outweighs his right to liberty. But with animals... what would we stand to lose if we stopped exploiting them? Granted, we would sacrifice a dietary choice and therefore lose out in terms of convenience, but does this justification satisfy the threshold we place on those other instances of violence? We don?t violently restrict the child or the criminal out of convenience, we violently restrict them because failing to do so would cause even more violence. And that?s what I see as the basic gist of all human morality: Violence is bad. We shouldn?t use it without a good reason.

Another simple maxim that sums this up would: We should live in such a way that we cause as little violence to other beings as we can.

Eating meat is a personal choice and vegans/vegetarians/animal rights activists should not attempt to ?evangelize? others.

I understand that it?s annoying when someone tells you that something you do, something you?ve done all your life, is wrong and you should change it. I too can?t stand religious fundamentalists who tell me that I should either embrace their beliefs or face eternal damnation. However, I strive not to approach people in such a way. I try to be respectful, open-minded and unpretentious. I listen to people?s points and take them seriously.

Yes, I believe that all forms of animal exploitation should end and that people should stop participating in them. But I sincerely hope that I will be able to convince you through rational arguments, ideally in such a way that you?ll be inspired to look into these issues yourself and draw your own conclusion. I never force my beliefs on anyone. You are of course entitled to close this thread and never look at it again. And you won?t face eternal damnation if you continue eating meat. There are no rewards and no punishments here. When it comes to morality, there never are... unless you think that we only act morally for our own benefit, in that we expect to be treated morally in return. Personally, I think that?s an overly pessimistic view of mankind. I think we act morally because we grasp the concept of a greater good and we desire a world without needless suffering.

Thank you for reading!

Coldster

Oct 29, 2010
Sorry to break it to you pal, but humans are designed to eat meat. That doesn't mean you have to eat meat to survive (duh), but it is our way of obtaining certain nutrients that not much else can supply. We have teeth that designed to eat meat. We are omnivores. That means we eat meat. I really don't know why vegans always insist that we shouldn't. It just isn't natural.