I'm an American, how can I get my hands on British chocolate?

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
I've heard lots of people say that British chocolate can wipe the floor with American chocolate. So I want to try it without actually having to visit the UK for budget reasons. Anyone know of a site or a method so that I can get it delivered to my house (or maybe there's a store that sells it)?

Also what's a good brand of British chocolate? I can't even name a brand much less know which ones are good?

And I guess is there any other non-American candy that's worth getting>?

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Typing randomly into Google, I found this American site

http://www.ukgoods.com/british-english-irish-candy.html#.VSAl6fnF9Pw

Although I would question how could it be better? Maybe their cheap chocolate doesn't use "fake" chocolate like our chocolate here (that's why they would call it so much better) in 'Merica but how can actual chocolate candy here taste worse than actual chocolate in the UK? Are you sure you're just not buying shitty chocolates in 'Merica?

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Cadbury's is generally a safe enough bet for good chocolate.

Lindt is good too, as is Butler's chocolate but that might be specific to Ireland, I'm not sure.

American chocolate doesn't even taste like chocolate to me. It's like "chocolate inspired" foodstuff.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
I dunno if this is going to sound hipster-ish or high falutin' highbrow, but a friend of mine once recommended that I buy something from La Maison du Chocolat [http://www.lamaisonduchocolat.com/en/#/home], which has locations in only a handful of cities like NYC, Tokyo, Moscow, etc.

It's one of those things where, while it's too expensive for myself, I'd probably get as a gift for someone special. Like buying a bottle of Lagavulin (16-year, single malt) for my dad.

Otherwise, it's strange how you can find candy that's ostensibly sourced from exotic places around the globe, only once you read the fine print you realize that it's produced under license here in the US in New Jersey or something. I think perhaps most of that stuff is just made by Mars or Cadbury, with international labeling and--
tippy2k2 said:

Although I would question how could it be better? Maybe their cheap chocolate doesn't use "fake" chocolate like our chocolate here (that's why they would call it so much better) in 'Merica but how can actual chocolate candy here taste worse than actual chocolate in the UK? Are you sure you're just not buying shitty chocolates in 'Merica?
--Jelly Babies are real???

:'0

Colour Scientist

Jul 15, 2009
Frezzato said:
I dunno if this is going to sound hipster-ish or high falutin' highbrow, but a friend of mine once recommended that I buy something from La Maison du Chocolat [http://www.lamaisonduchocolat.com/en/#/home], which has locations in only a handful of cities like NYC, Tokyo, Moscow, etc.

It's one of those things where, while it's too expensive for myself, I'd probably get as a gift for someone special. Like buying a bottle of Lagavulin (16-year, single malt) for my dad.

Otherwise, it's strange how you can find candy that's ostensibly sourced from exotic places around the globe, only once you read the fine print you realize that it's produced under license here in the US in New Jersey or something. I think perhaps most of that stuff is just made by Mars or Cadbury, with international labeling and--
tippy2k2 said:

--Jelly Babies are real???

:'0
I was in New York for a few weeks years ago and when we were in the airport on the way home, I had a serious chocolate craving. I saw a Cadbury's Dairy Milk and thought "Jackpot!"

It turned out to be the same texture and taste of American chocolate.

I felt so betrayed. D:

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
Colour Scientist said:
I was in New York for a few weeks years ago and when we were in the airport on the way home, I had a serious chocolate craving. I saw a Cadbury's Dairy Milk and thought "Jackpot!"

I felt so betrayed. D:
Yeah, I think our solution to everything is "add more sugar" plus less flavor.

Did you go to any fast food places while you were here? I wonder if the soda sizes here are simply huge compared to the rest of the world. A 'small' soda today was considered 'large' 20 years ago.

Colour Scientist

Jul 15, 2009
Frezzato said:
Colour Scientist said:

I felt so betrayed. D:
Yeah, I think our solution to everything is "add more sugar" plus less flavor.

Did you go to any fast food places while you were here? I wonder if the soda sizes here are simply huge compared to the rest of the world. A 'small' soda today was considered 'large' 20 years ago.
I got McDonald's once because I felt like I had to and it was all huge.

It was good though, it tasted way better than the stuff here, in a disgusting, I feel ashamed of myself kind of way. XD

SoreWristed

Dec 26, 2014
Have you tried Swiss or Belgian chocolate yet?

I would truly recommend Cote d'Or chocolate as I find absolutely superior to any others. If and only if you can get your hands on it ofcourse. The Dessert '58 recipe being my absolute favourite!
Other brands would include Guylan or Neuhaus, which I believe are more widely available.

Some of these may list other countries that they are made in, but as long as the belgian techniques and ingredient list are followed it is just as good!

ps : The Swiss apparantly imported their chocolate recipes from Belgium...

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
With my latest tax return, I ordered some Boost bars from amazon. They were a bit more than I would usually pay for chocolate but for fucks sake...it's a Twix that gives you an energy boost...but is somehow better than that.

tippy2k2 said:

THANK YOU!

Hey, there's a grocery store near me that sells Maltese's and I'm sure I've seen Fry's Turkish Delight and Mars Bars there too...and my Target sells Tim-Tams...HOLY CRAP, THIS SITE HAS IRN BRU?! Dammit, I just spent my last paycheck on bills...stupid bills...

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
Colour Scientist said:
Lindt is good too
Unless you're talking about a different one, Lindt is Swiss.

OT:

Most convenience, grocery, and drug/pharmacy stores carry various chocolates in their candy aisle, and there is generally a section dedicated to the better stuff. Granted, most of this is Swiss (e.g. Lindt), German (e.g. Milka), or Belgian (e.g. Godiva), rather than British (that said, I tend to go for those rather than the British chocolate). Still, you should easily be able to find Cadbury there and maybe some actually good American chocolate.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
If it doesn't exist yet, someone should make a british chocolate black market in the US. Ideas like that are how people make billions of dollars.

Edith The Hutt

Flying Monkey
Oct 16, 2010
MysticSlayer said:
Colour Scientist said:
Lindt is good too

OT:

Most convenience, grocery, and drug/pharmacy stores carry various chocolates in their candy aisle, and there is generally a section dedicated to the better stuff. Granted, most of this is Swiss (e.g. Lindt), German (e.g. Milka), or Belgian (e.g. Godiva), rather than British (that said, I tend to go for those rather than the British chocolate). Still, you should easily be able to find Cadbury there and maybe some actually good American chocolate.
Shoggoth2588 said:
With my latest tax return, I ordered some Boost bars from amazon. They were a bit more than I would usually pay for chocolate but for fucks sake...it's a Twix that gives you an energy boost...but is somehow better than that.

tippy2k2 said:

THANK YOU!

Hey, there's a grocery store near me that sells Maltese's and I'm sure I've seen Fry's Turkish Delight and Mars Bars there too...and my Target sells Tim-Tams...HOLY CRAP, THIS SITE HAS IRN BRU?! Dammit, I just spent my last paycheck on bills...stupid bills...
If you're going to order from that list then I recommend Galaxy bars. Smoothest chocolate ever.

Jamieson 90

Mar 29, 2010
WhiteNachos said:
I've heard lots of people say that British chocolate can wipe the floor with American chocolate. So I want to try it without actually having to visit the UK for budget reasons. Anyone know of a site or a method so that I can get it delivered to my house (or maybe there's a store that sells it)?

Also what's a good brand of British chocolate? I can't even name a brand much less know which ones are good?

And I guess is there any other non-American candy that's worth getting>?
Jolly Goods, a British company based in the UK, sells British versions of chocolate and sweets that are altered for the US market, (see Cadburys), along with a wide selection of British chocolate that isn't sold in the US.

Never tried them but maybe they'll prove to be useful to you?

http://www.jollygoods.co/

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
Edith The Hutt said:
MysticSlayer said:
Colour Scientist said:
Lindt is good too

OT:

Shoggoth2588 said:

tippy2k2 said:

THANK YOU!

If you're going to order from that list then I recommend Galaxy bars. Smoothest chocolate ever.
Galaxy (also known as dove in the US) is an American chocolate

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
My advice, if you're looking for actual "quality" chocolate, buy continental European brands. Your standard supermarket fare tends to be better in Britain because there are quality assurance laws which restrict things like how much cocoa solid chocolate has to contain before it can be called "milk chocolate" or "dark chocolate", but the difference isn't huge and the European Union has even stronger quality assurance laws.

That said, there are a lot of weird-ass things we sell in Britain which are worth a go.