Im tired of "Better Graphics" being a major argument of PC vs. Console

zellosoli

Aug 22, 2011
ok here's the set up

me and a friend both get the game "Sleeping Dogs", I get it for Xbox and he gets it for PC. We both like the game but is a pretty hardcore PC gamer and naturally tells me the PC version is superior to the Xbox version in every way. so I ask why.
Without fail the first and most fiery response is that the graphics are superior, while the rest of the argument on the other aspects of the PC version of the game is kinda sketchy and boil down to "because it on a PC hurr hurr"

now im not arguing the graphics on PC versions are not better, on the contrary most games look really polished on a PC. My gripe is that Ive never really put the technical specs of a game as the main argument on whether a PC version is better than a console version and genuinely perplexed why a lot of PC games make a big deal out of "whether a few pixels are smoother than the console version" when the rest of the game-play feels exactly the same

I mean the argument of PC V Console is more sound for FPS's since you can argue that the control is more accurate on PC but that's a game-play issue, I mean graphics are kinda minor compared to game-play and fun factor right?

or am I missing a bigger picture? is how the game looks actually whats driving the game industry today? I mean look at E3 and most release Videos, all flashy visuals and improved graphics being the big focus (final fantasy anyone?)

...OK I'm starting to go on a tangent here, what I'm trying to ask is anyone else noticing this too?

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Games are a visual medium. If I'm going to be staring at pictures for hours then I'd prefer those pictures to be more pretty rather than less pretty. If I have a choice between the less pretty version and the more pretty version then I'd prefer the latter, all else being equal.

But no, its isn't the hugest of deals. Your friend sounds like he's being a bit of a prat. Although that could be said of anyone who spends significant amounts of energy arguing about which gaming platform is better. (Notice how it's always the one they personally use. Funny that. It's almost as if they were trying to justify their own purchase come hell or high water rather than evaluate its comparative merits.)

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
I like shinier graphics when possible, but for me the main thing drawing me away from consoles to PC is faster loading times and the fact that I can download a game and don't have to get off my fat ass to go get it from town.

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
This has always been a major argument for PC gaming, and it always will be. Which is kind of sad, because it downplays the real benefits of the PC as a gaming platform (mods, customability, etc).

Anyway, the only real effect on gameplay that better graphics will have (in the rare instances where it has any effect at all) pretty much always has to do with framerate issues. But really, how much of a difference graphics make for you is completely based on personal preference. That said, accusing people who make a bigger deal out of graphics than you as being shallow graphics whores is just as dumb as damning console versions of games because they don't look as pretty (not directed at you, op, just something I've seen in general).

At the end of the day though, gameplay/story/atmosphere/art style/whatever usually make more of a difference that graphics as far as quality of a game goes. There are some games that are greatly enhanced by excellent graphics (Metro 2033 springs to mind), but those are in the vast minority.

Also, console/pc debates are stupid and always have been.

3asytarg3t

Jun 8, 2010
What's stupid is how held back game development for PCs is because the industry insists on porting games to consoles. Or in most cases with even more tragic results, the other way around.

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
A slightly prettier picture isnt really a good enough argument for PC gaming to be superior. And really, that and the "FPS's are better" arguments are the only ones I've heard. spoken ad nauseum.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
Shadowstar38 said:
A slightly prettier picture isnt really a good enough argument for PC gaming to be superior. And really, that and the "FPS's are better" arguments are the only ones I've heard. spoken ad nauseum.
What about modding and customization? That's the main draw to PC, for me. Well, that and I like PC games...

ThePuzzldPirate

Oct 4, 2009
Graphics argument comes up the most cause it's simply the easiest to point at and say "look" and you will see the difference. You don't have to go into a tangent to explain why something is better, so in other words, the lazy man argument.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
Shadowstar38 said:
Well also RTS's so far can't really exist anywhere else though I guess that one Halo game gave it a valiant effort. Also multiplayer service for games doesn't require a monthly fee (obviously this doesn't apply to the PS3).

Silent Protagonist

Aug 29, 2012
Graphics are important for some games, but certainly not all games. It depends largely on the visual style. For the more photo-realistic style games, better graphics can be a legitimate argument for a better version of the game. For the more cartoony or cel shaded stlye (Games I usually like better anyway), graphics are not a significant argument.

For me the far more important quality of a game is if the story they are trying to tell and the universe they are trying to tell it in are engaging and grasp my imagination. And of course if the game is fun. This tends to transcend platforms which is also great.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
denseWorm said:
Firstly: Better graphics. They are better, and it does improve the title, especially after a few years when the console version starts falling behind then retextures and resolution tweaks fix otherwise ageing titles right back up. Demon Souls seems to be heading down this path, for instance.

Secondly: It's never been the key component for me. For me PCs are better because the more complex input systems and more precise controls allow for deeper games - manager sims with more options and depth, RPGs with more control and customization, shooters with a more accurate aiming device. Among other things.
Hear! Hear!

Although I would rather have all that graphics power used to create better enemy AI on occasion.

clippen05

Jul 10, 2012
Oh yeah? Well I'm tired of hearing that "I rather sit on my couch to play games on my console instead of being hunched over a computer chair," because 90% of the time that's the arguments I hear. Not only is it stupid, but it makes no sense as you can play a console in a computer chair or a PC on a couch without much hassle.

daniel the immortal

Sep 14, 2010
ok here are afew others

better controls (even if you dont agree you have the option to plug in console controls)
better performance
abilty to mod

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
If you have two near identical versions of a game and one has better graphics, then that is clearly the superior version. Maybe it's not by much, but it's still true.

Anyway, my reason for thinking the PC is the way to go is kind of contrary to the graphics argument: 'Dat back catalog [http://www.gog.com/en/catalogue].

Seriously, just browse around GOG or any site with a decent library of older games. You'll hear music. Perhaps this music [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsU6_eSG4k4].

Silverfox99

May 7, 2011
I like the fact that I have more settings on the PC to control how my game preforms. Consoles are supposed to not get graphics lag but several of the games I have played on a console have some from of graphics lag. There are just times when the fps goes slow. That is a major pet peeve for me in gaming. I will use lower graphics settings to get better game play. I have that option on the PC but not on a console.

V da Mighty Taco

Apr 9, 2011
I think people forget where PC truly shines (as well as the origin of all console wars): the exclusives. That's what is really driving me towards the PC market. Consoles are primarily driven by the AAA market, and quite frankly imho the vast majority of AAA titles are overgeneralized, overpriced, oversaturated crap. The PC market isn't nearly as bound to AAA games as consoles (though it still has them for those who do generally like them), plus the backwards compatibility on PCs absolutely kills any console. Both of these facts lead to a massive variety of games that can appeal to anybody and that a console simply can't compete with.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I'm tired of "better graphics" being the major selling point, period. It's like, we trim so much stuff for a slightly shinier version of games each year, we bloat the budgets, and we bloat the sizes.

I just don't give a damn.

Stainlesssteele4

Jul 5, 2011
PC gaming has a lot more than better visuals.
Sure, it is an over used argument, but it is true in most, if not all occasions.

Some reasons why games may be superior on PC in specific:
Server browsers: While not a huge difference, most multiplayer games have server browsing capabilities, as opposed to straight ping match making.

Graphics Customization: This may not be a big point, but you can tailor almost every graphical feature of a game. Some games have annoying effects like Depth Of Field, or maybe the Field of View is too zoomed in. These can be changed on PC, while on console, they can't.

Modifications: Mods can provide interesting variants to multiplayer modes, or cool add-ons to single player experiences.

Social Connectivity: While Xbox Live does a good job at this, its vastly superior on PC. Steam allows for group making, with announcements, events, group chat rooms. Other programs like Team speak, Mumble, Skype, and Ventrillo allow for better social experiences. (*Xbox does have party chat, but it is limited in scope. Skype allows for link posting, text chat, file sending, etc)

Multiple Control Inputs & Customization: Every PC games' controls can be customized, where as only some console games can be. PC gaming also allows the choice of traditional mouse & keyboard, or gamepads, and even flight sticks/ joysticks. Console gaming only allows controllers, with limited joystick functionality.

*I know this wasn't an 'Explain why your thing is better' thread, but I couldn't help myself. I love defending my preferred medium.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
V da Mighty Taco said:
I think people forget where PC truly shines (as well as the origin of all console wars): the exclusives. That's what is really driving me towards the PC market. Consoles are primarily driven by the AAA market, and quite frankly imho the vast majority of AAA titles are overgeneralized, overpriced, oversaturated crap. The PC market isn't nearly as bound to AAA games as consoles (though it still has them for those who do generally like them), plus the backwards compatibility on PCs absolutely kills any console. Both of these facts lead to a massive variety of games that can appeal to anybody and that a console simply can't compete with.
Kind of have to agree, especially since I can't remember the last XBox or PS exclusive I gave a crap about. It was definitely early in this gen or late last gen, though. So we're looking at close to a decade where I've played and liked more PC exclusives than console exclusives.