In Regards to Wild West

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
I'm just sad that I didn't take full advantage of the Wild West, due to not having a computer.

:(

I had a ton of things planned for it.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Marik2 said:
I'm just sad that I didn't take full advantage of the Wild West, due to not having a computer.

Like what? Genuinely asking, not just being an ass.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Marik2 said:
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Okay.
Silentpony said:
Aaaaaaand....
Arnoxthe1 said:
This isn't about any one specific thread that triggered us mods to have a discussion about closing down access to WW.
Just be honest about it. I can take it.
I have been pretty honest about the reason why we came to this conclusion. This isn't about singling out specific users.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
BreakfastMan said:
Marik2 said:

Like what? Genuinely asking, not just being an ass.
Making piracy threads, baiting mods, and linking sources.

I wanted to post chapters on a couple of my favorite mangas and commentate on them.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Vendor-Lazarus said:
I'm pretty pissed off right now, I can tell you. Dastardly move!
The "right side" calling themselves "the good guys" have yet again decided what's best for everyone, despite being against the voting majority, and be the ones who'll gain by being able to skirt or bend the rules if its done against "the enemy", while being absolved of any wrongdoings because of political bias in the Mod group.

Now we'll have no outlet to vent at all, especially when we see the same usual suspects get away with "literally murder".
We also won't be able to call them out, since we'll be hit with warnings for personal attacks and calling people trolls.
Reporting doesn't do much when both rule-breaker and rule-decider belong to the same group, but you can expect reports to increase dramatically..

I'd rather have a rule-free zone where people can out themselves than not being able to say anything for fear of the made-up "hate-speech" thought-crime rules.

I've still got the list of people who voted for or against the Wild West.
Would it surprise anyone to know that most of the Mods and the SJW's were against WW?

I can only echo this:
crimson5pheonix said:
Wasn't this decision enacted against SJWs? For the benefit of a conservative? The SJWs doing the hate Speech? I'm personally for hate speech laws ONLY if it applies to everyone. Anyone calling others Nazis or Racists included. It's seems to me like the mods benefited conversatives so they can be protected.

If I can make one thing clear to you, it's this. It's not just some people on the Left who are against Free Speech. Many people on the Right are too. It just not called hate speech. The a Right use terms like ducks and snowflakes to shut down any conversation the Left might have. The discussion you had about Trans people on the other thread isn't really about science. It's about the Left and Right fighting about how people should be treated. Unfortunately, science gets used for political purposes. It's Political Correctness, by both Left AND Right. (Side Note: just becuase the Right doesn't get called out for it PCness, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.)

My current biggest fear with Trump is that he's going to start locking up journalists for reporting the news. He's already half way there with his Fake News shenanigans about anything he disagrees with. He's about to go full Putin. He's already impacting Freedom of the Press, when is it going to get to Free Speech. (My guess is before the end of his first term.)

You've been trying call out people over the last few years in WW. Did it work? On anyone? People were calling you out. Did it work on you? Did you change your behaviour from a call out? Are you even considering it with my arguement? This is the specific reason why I'd be against WW. Funnily enough Free Speech doesn't lead to actual free speech. It just leads to insults and shut downs. And angry people. I'm hoping rules on insults will stop this but it probably won't.

kitsunefather

Verbose and Meandering
Nov 29, 2010
I know I'm not a regular poster, or one of the "well known" players here, but I've been coming and going for a while, and tend to do so these days simply to read the forums on popular media or divisive opinions, which I usually do through the Wild West to get a proper, unfiltered idea of people's thoughts (before the same 3 to 4 people begin arguing).

I've posted a few threads about writing, and tried to engage in a discussion, and I preferred to use the Wild West for that because (again) I wanted unfiltered opinions and responses. I would rather deal with someone(s) being intensely rude and horrible if it means being able to discuss those matters in a forum where people can speak however they want. The Wild West was the only place here I could get that; a strange middle ground between anonymity and recognition, where I can recognize users but they can speak freely without fear of recourse.

I know my leaving will be of no consequence to anyone here. Just one more lurker into the ether. One more visitor gone.

I just wanted to voice my thoughts on the subject. Do with it what you will.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas

WW hasn't been fun for a long time anyway, most of the folks who made it fun retreated to a user group that moved offsite when the rest of the site got boring. It's only been used for hatefests and bullying for a while now; even though I voted to keep the WW open, and made a few posts that quite clearly and vitriolically gave my opinion on the motivation for the desire to shut it down in the first place, I don't actually blame the mods for closing it down at this point in time, since all it did was put out bad vibes. Closing it down doesn't actually eliminate that bad blood, it only takes out an outlet, but solving that old problem is beyond the scope of a bunch of unpaid volunteers.

Souplex said:
And nothing of value was lost.
I'm laughing that that's the take from the guy who launched the last and one of the uglier bullying threads that got the place shut down.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
trunkage said:
[
Wasn't this decision enacted against SJWs? For the benefit of a conservative? The SJWs doing the hate Speech? I'm personally for hate speech laws ONLY if it applies to everyone. Anyone calling others Nazis or Racists included. It's seems to me like the mods benefited conversatives so they can be protected.
That's not how hate speech laws work. Hate speech laws about vilification and incitement of public violence towards traditional targets of hatred for reasons they have no right or capacity to surrender and all liberty to be recognized as such. If Nazis rose up again, why wouldn't we pay people to shoot them all over again? People can stop being Nazis and that is well within their purview that people should stop being Nazis. They can't stop being LGBTQ, or Asian, or no real reason to surrender being Buddhist.

What there is a problem with is when liberty becomes coercive. Which Nazis certainly seem to promote as the 'answer' for a lot of people is the state basically murdering LGBTQ people because ... moral hygiene? I have no hesitation shooting people if necessary for trying to incite violence towards free willed, innocent beings. Same way I have no problems with police apprehending terrorists screaming they have a bomb and they plan to use it because Australia is full of 'degenerates' or whatever Nazi rhetoric they wish to use against Jews, LGBTQ people or Catholics.

I also have no problems with a state making a written guarantee that the rights of all people to exist, and the principle human right of one's life is sacrosanct wherever possible, and enforcing that as humans we are no more or less than the values we uphold to all regardless of preconceptions of deviation ... and that the only elevation man has over beast is those of recognizing our collective sapience and humanity.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Can we have it back if we promise not to make death threats again? I'd be happy to have it back if that's what it takes.

And let people post piracy stuff.

PointlessKnowledge

It Can Wait Til Morning
Legacy
Sep 8, 2014
Country
Canada
CM156 said:
Awwww, man. I never got a callout thread made against me. And I tried so hard.

Thanks, Obama.
You had a callout thread in our hearts.

Happy now?

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
CM156 said:

Thanks, Obama.
I was about to make a call out thread against Defy, but they decided to close the wild west.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
This is funny, because when Wynn got his WW access removed we were promised no-one else would lose access. Now everyone has.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
CM156 said:

Thanks, Obama.
Who're you, again?

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Marik2 said:
Can we have it back if we promise not to make death threats again? I'd be happy to have it back if that's what it takes.

And let people post piracy stuff.
You could just go to any random Chan forum and post death threats against random users, and as many links to the PiratesBay as you see fit!
Or maybe you mean gifs of Jack Sparrow - I was never really keeping up with WW culture, so maybe there's an entire forum thread of Jack Sparrow gifs that was just lulz for realz dank.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
This is unacceptable! You had no right to do that on your own! This isn't the mod's site any more than it is anybody else's, the mods just ended up being the one's who were handed the keys when Defy stopped caring. The vote was in favour of keeping the WW open, there should have been community discussion and a revote before any action was taken! You just couldn't stand having a section of the site where you couldn't enforce your powers, just like you couldn't stand not being able to punish Epyc Wynn.

Edit: Also so much for that "April Fools" joke. Each part of it is coming true. First the site gets fixed, and now the WW is canned. I guess we can start expecting the draconian moderation next.

Fiz_The_Toaster said:
Hello all.

As some of you may have noticed, the Wild West sub-forum is no longer accessible. This is not a glitch, nothing Defy did, but something that we, as a moderation team, have decided to do, and this was something that was not done lightly nor without group consideration and discussion.
Yeah, yeah, we saw what "group consideration and discussion" looked like when Epyc Wynn's Pub Club was removed. It was a joke. Completely unprofessional with only a cursory amount of discussion. Not anything like the line we were fed at the time about how the decision was "not taken lightly" and the vote was "unanimous". I don't buy that this discussion was any more professional than the last.

At the very least make the WW visible, but disallow posts in it so that we can still view the old threads for posterity. There were A LOT of fun threads there, and I don't remember what they all were and you gave us no warning before you decided to shut the west down on a whim!

BreakfastMan said:
Dude, you are taking this whole thing way too seriously.
Says one of the guys who got the WW shut down because they couldn't stop being a jerk and bullying people!

Vendor-Lazarus said:
Indeed.
I know that I won't be coming back here if the WW stays gone.
I'll just get my Yahtzee fix on youtube instead.
Don't do that. As ticked as I am, and am pretty tempted to do the same, I'll miss everybody if they leave over this.
Bobular said:
First my stall closes last week, then the place I spent most of my time whilst working at my stall closes?

Coincidence? I think NOT!
Your stall closed? Like, as in "out of business"? :/

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
PointlessKnowledge said:
CM156 said:

Thanks, Obama.
You had a callout thread in our hearts.

Happy now?
That helps, thank you.

Marik2 said:
CM156 said:

Thanks, Obama.
I was about to make a call out thread against Defy, but they decided to close the wild west.

Don't say anything bad about Defy, fam. They likely read your mind.

SupahEwok said:
CM156 said:

Thanks, Obama.
Who're you, again?
They guy who you schooled on the Metric system.

IceForce said:
This is funny, because when Wynn got his WW access removed we were promised no-one else would lose access. Now everyone has.
Top 10 Anime Plot Twists

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
CM156 said:
SupahEwok said:
CM156 said:

Thanks, Obama.
Who're you, again?
They guy who you schooled on the Metric system.
No, pretty sure I remember that guy having a dashing, debonair avatar and spirit.

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Drathnoxis said:
BreakfastMan said:
Dude, you are taking this whole thing way too seriously.
Says one of the guys who got the WW shut down because they couldn't stop being a jerk and bullying people!
Whatever you may think of me, I can say that I never really took posting in there seriously enough to keep a list recording people's opinions for use in a possible future witch-hunt, my dude. Or even very seriously at all, in fact.