In your opinion, what's the most overrated video game ever?

XSin

Jul 21, 2009
Portal 1

It was my go-to game for a while when someone asked for an outstanding game to play that was funny, fun to play and not too long. (Surprisingly these are the big things people ask me in recommendations, in that order too)

The problem was when I ask how they liked it I usually get a "Meh" in response. It's weird but it seems like 5 years later for some reason it doesn't have much of a wow factor.

I understand because I did a replay the day before I played Portal 2 and was surprised at how dull I found it.

So I guess I find it the most overrated game, even by myself :/

Apr 5, 2008
Any CoD title. I genuinely can't fathom how such a lacklustre, boring and mediocre console game can sell so much. Millions, annually. I don't understand the players that buy each new title, casting the previous one aside, rendering them obsolete along with their financial and time investment. Shooters used to stay around for years...the good ones did at any rate.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Anything that is rated is overrated or underated, since there is no universal rating standard except for our own personal taste.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Kinda surprised to see FF7 listed so many times. It's a game that has a considerable and vocal anti crowd that almost drowns out the pro crowd whenever the game is mentioned.

My choices would be Half Life 2 and Zelda Ocarina of Time. So much blind constant adoration for the two of them, and so few balanced realistic evaluations.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
Angry Birds. There are many games that I consider overrated, but at the very least I can compliment them on some aspects. There is nothing positive I can say about Angry Birds.

Jaksteri

Dec 6, 2011
Mass Efect games, I have no freaking clue why those games got such fame. In fact when the outcry of how much the ending for the third game sucked I almost went "told you so".

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
WOW - played it a month and never looked back. Such a boring grind fest i still dont understand how people get addicted to it.

GoW3 - Gears 2 had better story and i thought they would go more into the backgrounds of the enemies after you saw they made towns etc underground. Nope....back to dumb monsters in GoW3.

Batman Arkham City - Still a good game, just that the city was pointless, so empty and devoid of anything to do apart from kill random thugs and collect riddler statues. They could have added better plots for lots more baddies in the city environment.

Skyrim - Boring mostly, ive only played it once and wont play it again until the GoTY is released. Both Morrowind and Oblivion i played through multiple times and had a lot of fun with them. Lets hope next game is more akin to Morrowind.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
Zone of the Enders. It was just so boring to me, the combat wasn't very interesting and the main character was someone I wanted to punch repeatedly in the face... I don't know where that came from, sorry.

I just found it so underwhelming considering how big a pedestal people put it on.

camerinian

Mar 16, 2012
Can we all agree on Tetris being hideously overrated? I mean yes it's fun, yes it can be addictive, but so can so many $.99 games on the App Store. Despite this, Tetris is regularly rated as one of the greatest games ever, alongside the Marios, Zeldas and Grand Theft Autos of this world, reaching the Top 5 of countless best games ever lists. It was influential, yes, but that doesn't instantly make it a brilliant game. It only gets so much love because it's "classic", otherwise why would it get more acclaim than something like, say, Jetpack Joyride? Or literally any other endless runner? It's fun, but one of the greatest games of all time? Not in a million years

Subscriptism

May 5, 2012
Any Cod after 5. I know that was predictable but it's true. A less popular choice? Skyrim, it's good but definitely worse than the previous two.

veloper

Jan 20, 2009
Funny how members here mention Skyrim, instead of Oblivion. Both games were hyped and commonly rated 10 out of 10, but of the two, Skyrim has better combat, a slightly less cookie-cutter setting, way better character models, faces and voice acting and is generally the better game of the two.

I can get where the Morrowind fans are coming from with all the freedom, such as flight, it offered within an intriquing setting and I can also figure what fans may see in Skyrim, but Oblivion is what happens if you could combine the worst aspects of both. The only thing that was good, was a prettily rendered scenery, for the hardware available at the time of release.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
For me it's the Mass Effect games. I got about an hour into 1 and 2 before completely losing interest; there was just nothing there for me that set it apart from any other cover based shooter.

TheWhereItsAt

Dec 11, 2012
Half life (all of them)
Pretty much every CoD.
Mario(Again, most of them)
and games people like based on nostalgia(FF7 being one of them, but its my favorite game so...oh and megaman)

Nokturos

Nov 17, 2009
Journey. I don't know what kind of drugs the people who had "emotional experiences" were on when they played it, but to me it just seemed like a dull trudge through some uninspired setpieces.

IronMit

Jul 24, 2012
XSin said:
Portal 1

It was my go-to game for a while when someone asked for an outstanding game to play that was funny, fun to play and not too long. (Surprisingly these are the big things people ask me in recommendations, in that order too)

The problem was when I ask how they liked it I usually get a "Meh" in response. It's weird but it seems like 5 years later for some reason it doesn't have much of a wow factor.

I understand because I did a replay the day before I played Portal 2 and was surprised at how dull I found it.

So I guess I find it the most overrated game, even by myself :/
I played Portal 1 for the first time last month,

Half the reason it is good is because you are trying to figure out what's going on as well as solving the puzzles, seeing little clues. The cake is a lie, blood on the walls, the robot voice seems to be guiding/manipulating you but you can't put your finger on it. Then it starts showing personality.
You are fully immersed. However I would never play it again. It's a one time thing.

I played half of portal 2 and it was good but it didn't have the elements I mentioned of portal 1. Glados was cracking snide remarks throughout, it wasn't really a surprise or anything

farbrorbla

Jan 14, 2013
Megaman games!!
I never liked them as a kid and can only laugh at the "retro-trend" of its new releases.