Incest

ramboondiea

Oct 11, 2010
going to do this really quick and straight to point because lets face it, its allllllllll been said before:

im against incest.

i think it shouldn't be allowed due to dangers it promotes.

yes i know it usually requires several generations for harm but it still happens and i think its for that reason that incest should actively be prevented. and i think those who constantly babble on about it taking numerous instances to be dangerous are shortsighted

so yeah i think its potentially harmful and shouldn't be an acceptable practise.

Arcane Azmadi

Jan 23, 2009
It comes back to the old issue of what sex is for. In the olden days when we laid down most of our morality, sex was (ideally) only to be practiced with your spouse for the purposes of procreation; this is the same reason modern fundamentalist douchebags are so homophobic (apart from the fact that homosexuality just squicks them out). Of course we all know about affairs and prostitution and premarital sex and all that, but that was all considered "immoral", just like incest. Most of the old taboos about non-procreative, outside-of-marriage sex have kind of evaporated, but the taboo against incest has remained because it received reinforcement from the scientific discovery of the potenitally harmful consequences of interbreeding, once again missing the point that sex doesn't have to result in children (and in today's society, more often doesn't than does).

The way I consider it, what do people have sex for these days if not purely for reproduction? Usually it's nothing more than a shared act of pleasure with someone you love, or at least like, or at the very least, don't hate. If you love members of your family, there's really no reason I can think of that you SHOULDN'T share sexual pleasures with them as long as no children result. People can argue "it's immoral", but if you ask them "why?" the best they will be able to come up with is usually "it's just wrong". Hell, I don't think they can even cite the Bible- after all, in the Old Testament, Lot was raped by his own daughters and Yahveh didn't smite their incestuous asses for it even AFTER they became pregnant for it and I'm pretty sure that nowhere in the book does it ever say "don't sleep with family members" (and believe me, that book says a LOT of weird shit). If they say "it leads to inbreeding and deformed children" then you can ask "but what if it doesn't result in any children?" and they're stumped again.

So really, sheer concentrated thought leads me to the conclusion that, as long as it's consensual and handled responsibly, there's really nothing wrong with incest. I'd suggest that closely related couples who actually want to MARRY might need to be sterilised (maybe just the man so they can still have a child by non-incestuous proxy, similar to how a lesbian couple might want to), but otherwise it's cool.

D-Ray

Oct 4, 2011
Looking at the title, this is as "off-topic" as an off-topic discussion can get....lol

OT: With my current relationship with my family, the idea of incest does seem really odd. But, I can't speak for every family out there.

Also, does incest actually yield genetic mutations? Or is that just a myth...? I honestly don't know.

Timmey

May 29, 2010
D-Ray said:
Looking at the title, this is as "off-topic" as an off-topic discussion can get....lol

OT: With my current relationship with my family, the idea of incest does seem really odd. But, I can't speak for every family out there.

Also, does incest actually yield genetic mutations? Or is that just a myth...? I honestly don't know.
I believe it does, but only over numerous generations?

And yeah i think its pretty odd and doesn't do it for me.

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
[Walks in unaware] Oh hey guys, this thread looks busy watcha discussin'? [looks at topic] O.O Aw hell no..
But before I run out let me just contribute by saying that I feel whatever happens between 2 consenting adults is their own business and I'm pretty sure the whole genetic mutation thing is just a myth created to discourage it. Still creeps me out though.

TheBestPieEver

Dec 13, 2011
seydaman said:
For discussion:

-Is incest morally wrong?
-In the case of no possible offspring?
-With offspring?

-Should incest be legally banned?
-Does the act of incest disgust you?
In that order
No
No
Yes
No
No

And I only say yes to the offspring thing because the child might be sick or with some medical condition that could affect his growth. If they don't plan of having children together, I think that it is just as good for them as a normal relationship. If they have a children, the only person that loses anything is the child in question because of the aforementioned possible sickness. So once again, for me, they can do as they please.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
I'm forced to say there's nothing wrong with it as long as the risks are made known. The problem with incest is that it leads to genetic disorders/strange lips and ears thanks to not enough variety in the gene pool. But if two members of the same family are alright with that, and they've considered the possibility that their child will be more likely to inherit some terrible aspect of their genetics than other children, what's my authority for saying they shouldn't. One generation certainly isn't that much of a risk.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
Incest is so common in manga that I've almost come to expect it. I don't even care if a brother & sister want to marry & have kids. It's not my place to stick my nose in the lives of other people & dictate how they live their lives or enforce my taste & morals (what few I have) upon others.

I adopted a kitten born of incest. He was an exceptionally athletic player & a great hunter, but dumber & surprisingly more paranoid than your average cat.

Exius Xavarus

Casually hardcore. :}
May 19, 2010
Bug MuIdoon said:
(Can I change the spellchecker on here to U.K English in any way?)
If you set it up in your profile to show you're from the UK, it may change the spellchecker to UK English. Although that's just a guess so I'm not 100% certain. Short of that, you could always try asking one of the Tech Team about it. paulgruberman, Kross and ThyNameIsMud are people you could ask, or you could ask someone via the Tech Team user group.

The act of incest in itself is creepy to me, yes. But I'm indifferent about another's desire for it. If they want to do it, more power to 'em. Although I don't think kids would be a good idea, considering the medical issues. I won't go around telling people that what they're doing is wrong, it's just not my cup o' tea.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
i remember studying a play that asked this exact question, back in school. i forget what it was called but i know judy dench was in the film version.

speakstrg17

Jun 4, 2011
Nowhere Man said:
[Walks in unaware] Oh hey guys, this thread looks busy watcha discussin'? [looks at topic] O.O Aw hell no..
But before I run out let me just contribute by saying that I feel whatever happens between 2 consenting adults is their own business and I'm pretty sure the whole genetic mutation thing is just a myth created to discourage it. Still creeps me out though.
Actually it isn't a myth, let me just put it as simply as I can.

So there are these things called genes in your body, these genes control the traits that you have. Weather it be physical like your hair color, or genetic like causing you to have a certain disease or not. Its also worthy to note that traits are controlled by two or more traits. Well not all genes are good, some genes cause not so desirable things like diseases and such. Everyone has some of these "bad genes" but luckily most of these genes are hidden or suppressed by the good genes. (some genes have dominance over each other)

As you can image two relatives share quite similar sets of genes. So now all the bad genes that were passed to them form their parents are now pairing with each other. Luckily one generation isn't usually enough to create any large mutations (maybe not any at all). But as groups of people (i.e. The Amish) continue to inbreed it only makes the situation worse.

OT: I personally believe incest is VERY wrong as is it unfair for the kids. I don't care if they have sex, but having kids is just STUPID MAAAN

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
speakstrg17 said:
I should of clarified so I don't sound ignorant of how genes work. Although I'm not a scientist I meant first maybe second generation, but anything beyond that and you're definitely plunging into Deliverance territory. I still find it icky either way, but that's their business not mine.

Valkaris

Jun 8, 2010
While the idea of me doing it personally is pretty uncomfortable, I suspect that's mostly because of the cultural conditioning that causes me to feel that way. I don't have a problem with other people doing it, unless their secretly trying to install their incest-children on my throne and claiming they're mine.

jimbob123432

Apr 8, 2011
This... is not what I've come to expect here.

Anyway, my personal viewpoint is love is love and as long as it's mutual, I don't care.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
It is morally wrong if they bear offspring from incest. If they don't, well, it's still freaking disgusting, but if they want to be disgusting, let them go ahead. I wouldn't put anyone in jail for incest, but I would judge them and frown upon them.

Joos

Golden pantaloon.
Dec 19, 2007
After you looked up incest, you should probably look up inbred and genetic deficiency as well.

Is incest immoral? Considering that your offspring is going to be weaker due to inbreeding, it is not just morally wrong, but also evolutionary wrong.

Zeriah

Mar 26, 2009
It creeps the hell out of me. I remember watching Sword Art Online, that second season where his pathetic, disgusting, brother loving sister practically ruined the show for me.

Morally though, it depends. I think pretty much every case involving a parent-child situation would be morally wrong, yes. Between siblings I also think yes, morally wrong. Perhaps there could some situations where it wouldn't be (if they didn't grow up together, were of a similar age and it began later in life). Between cousins, I begrudgingly admit it might be OK, as long as they didn't grow up in the same household.

I believe it should be illegal, except perhaps between cousins.

The chance of abuse or impressions made upon a child/younger brother or sister are just too high, even if you didn't act upon them until they were of legal age. This is without even going into the entire problems with potential offspring.

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
I do not have a problem with it. I wouldn't partake but hey, do what you want in your bedroom, I don't give a shit

kuolonen

Nov 19, 2009
It is all the same what people of same age do with consent to each other. But making kids with close relatives? That's a no-no.

But really OP, you missed a golden opportunity here to see how effective Westermarck effect is.
[link]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westermarck_effect [/link] ( I know using wikipedia is banal but just roll with it.)

For myself, I don't have siblings so I have no inherent feel of disgust for sibling incest(I'd go as far as say I don't see what the big deal is), while every other form of incest makes me want to barf.

xdiesp

Oct 21, 2007
Incest has always been taboo in all human societies, it has roots in animal behaviour and direct experience as it takes relatively few marriages in the same family for genetic defects to appear at an alarming rate. Which was very possible in isolated tribes, so you get why the Old Testament is so obsessed with sex rules and taboos. It's also telling how the only groups which have practiced it, in modern history, are the same aristocratic nobles who were supposed to be superior to common folk, but ended up getting all kind of disease and deformity from inbreeding.

So the argument that this isn't hurting anyone does not stand, at least on matters of actual reproduction.