Industry Elites Added As Judges for Webcomic Contest

hugh_godolphin

Feb 28, 2010
Fuzzy_Pickles said:
LiquidGrape said:
Fuzzy_Pickles said:
Everybody loves ol' soap drama...
Now how exactly would von Trier, former advocate of dogme '95, be a more appropriate choice than 20th century existential genius Ingmar Bergman?
HERESY!

P.S
Nice work though.
D.S
I respect your opinion, though I personally find appreciation for Ingmar Bergman very bourgeois. Lars von Trier is a freakin' lunatic and thus the byproduct is richly orgasmic movies. :p
I don't like Von Trier.

Here's the plot of every Von Trier movie: Female lead is fucked over big time by everyone in existence. Woe is her.

Steagony

Nov 20, 2009
Ritzbot said:
Now would be a good time to remind everybody that the announcement will be the WEEK of the 8th, not necessarily the day. Anytime between now and Friday could be the announcement day.

Please be patient, and I apologize for breaking anybody's spirit.
God, you're always so courteous, wise and professional. It's like... yes, yes! Oh heavens yes! You're the ideal web cartoonist! The staff of the Escapist can see it now! Congratulations!

Doc Cannon

I hate custom titles.
Feb 3, 2010
LiquidGrape said:
I love the style (even though it makes my eyes bleed).
It be great to see some fine examples of the webcomic arts in this here thread, my fellow contestants, but woe is me each time I see some piece that might offer serious competition to what I myself have presented before the judges.

IE: there's some neat stuff in here.

Also: if we were to win I would have to save for a cintiq, since my wacom graphire has only a few hitpoints left.

Steagony

Nov 20, 2009
Doc Cannon said:
Also: if we were to win I would have to save for a cintiq, since my wacom graphire has only a few hitpoints left.
I don't know why you'd want a cintiq. Seems like overkill to me but hey, go for it.

My cheap ass tablet is falling apart as we speak.

Doc Cannon

I hate custom titles.
Feb 3, 2010
Steagony said:
I don't know why you'd want a cintiq. Seems like overkill to me but hey, go for it.

My cheap ass tablet is falling apart as we speak.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's overkill, but I've always wanted one. So asl long as I can afford it...

boybokeh

Feb 27, 2010
Steagony said:
boybokeh said:
Oh yeah? Well, so's your mom. And this whole thread looks shopped. I can tell from the pixels and from having seen quite a few shops in my time.
FINE. We are no longer friends.
I have reason to suspect that your statement, too, was shopped. I can tell from the pixels and from the way our friendship remains intact. Note to self: must stop using memes in general conversation before my all my brain are belong to teh internetz.

Edit: Mmmmm...Cintiq...

goddammit. Drool on my keyboard.

toadking07

Sep 10, 2009
JackShandy said:
Man, it's been march 8 in australia for AAAAAAGES now. I've been on the edge of my seat so long I'm starting to get friction burns. THE TENSION.

lolz and roflz will be in order if they declare that no comic was good enough and no-one gets to be published.
I think that would be the darkest day on here...

isjusterin said:
aeroz said:
one thing I didn't like about this contest was the strict limits on dimensions. I mean just about everything thats been posted here, atleast from my understanding of the rules, wouldn't qualify for the contest.
I totally understand the width limit, and that's strictly due to web design purposes. 650 px is the size of their main content area, so having any images bigger than that would screw up the look of the site or just not show up at all. The width of websites is typically static. As for the height limit... I'm assuming that's because once your comic is over twice as long as it is wide that you probably need to get to the punchline already. Also, just basic bandwidth considerations, although that probably wouldn't matter as much considering all the videos they already host.
Actually I still don't get it. I mean, I posted a comic in this thread that I made over 1000 pixels wide, and it was posted fine. Shrunk down to fit the screen and all, because that's the magic of websites and stuff. They allow the comics to be taller because it's easier to scroll down to see the rest of the comic than it is to scroll sideways, which messes with the dimensions and layout of the rest of the page. Though you bring up a good point with the bandwidth.

In hindsight I should have worked larger and then saved it to the 650x1250 size...

boybokeh

Feb 27, 2010
toadking07 said:
In hindsight I should have worked larger and then saved it to the 650x1250 size...
For original artwork you should probably do this as standard anyway. Safest thing is to work at print resolution. Also saves you from ever having to upsample should the need arise.

hugh_godolphin

Feb 28, 2010
18th century style cartoon.

It's not meant to offend the judges, i'm just making a bit of fun of the situation.

[http://img718.imageshack.us/i/scan0009c.jpg/]

Phill Broad

Feb 26, 2010
toadking07 said:
Actually I still don't get it. I mean, I posted a comic in this thread that I made over 1000 pixels wide, and it was posted fine. Shrunk down to fit the screen and all, because that's the magic of websites and stuff. They allow the comics to be taller because it's easier to scroll down to see the rest of the comic than it is to scroll sideways, which messes with the dimensions and layout of the rest of the page. Though you bring up a good point with the bandwidth.
There's quite a big difference between the forums and the Main Escapist site, especailly in regards to page width.

And surely you must realise that a resized comic page would only be readable if it was intended to be reduced to that size in the first place, so what would be the point in uploading a larger version at all?

titankore

Nov 10, 2009
danieltanure said:

It's not meant to offend the judges, I'm just making a bit of fun of the situation.
They have a lot of entries to get through so I understand why it's taking so long, but that comic is kinda how I imagine it whenever I get pissed about waiting. I'm kinda hoping they announce a winner soon so I can breath again.

Edit: awesome pic man!

Steagony

Nov 20, 2009
LACKT, when all of this is over and we're bound to separate from each other, I want you to go knowing that I'll always remember you as that ambiguously gay guy with the weird frog avatar.

Always.

RetroRobot

Feb 11, 2010
Steagony said:
LACKT, when all of this is over and we're bound to separate from each other, I want you to go knowing that I'll always remember you as that ambiguously gay guy with the weird frog avatar.

Always.
Me too, though I retain the right to just remember him as "The sexually ambiguous frog",

:)

shefyg

Feb 21, 2010
I have a birth day this week. On Thursday I would be 0x21 years old.
Winning could be a nice present :-D (just kidding - couldn't help myself)

titankore

Nov 10, 2009
RetroRobot said:
Steagony said:

Always.
Me too, though I retain the right to just remember him as "The sexually ambiguous frog",

:)
I will remember you fondly as well, even though you shoved a leopard print crotch in my face.
Also Space Jawa, RetroRobot, and to many others as well.

edit: Wait what if the winner isn't announced until Sunday or even put off for another week? Tearful goodbyes become awkward if you end up sticking around for a couple days.

Steagony

Nov 20, 2009
shefyg said:
I have a birth day this week. On Thursday I would be 0x21 years old.
Winning could be a nice present :-D (just kidding - couldn't help myself)
0x21? I don't understand ]:

Anyway, happy upcoming birthday.

hugh_godolphin

Feb 28, 2010
titankore said:
danieltanure said:

It's not meant to offend the judges, I'm just making a bit of fun of the situation.
They have a lot of entries to get through so I understand why it's taking so long, but that comic is kinda how I imagine it whenever I get pissed about waiting. I'm kinda hoping they announce a winner soon so I can breath again.

Edit: awesome pic man!
Thank you =)

I hope it wasn't too hard to read the damn thing. I know i could download like a free font to use on the word balloons instead of my terrible handwritting but i figure it would look too phony.