inFamous Developer: You Can't Do That on a 360

Rayansaki

May 5, 2009
Bigeyez said:
Burwood123 said:
The Austin said:
I officially call bullshit.

I'm no scientist, but I'm pretty damn sure that the Xbox and the PS3 can both handle the exact same things.

Next time, I hope they just say, "Yeah, screw Xbox, we like PS3 more."
PS3 has tons more power, deal with it.. it's fact http://forum.pcvsconsole.com/viewthread.php?tid=19237 all the numbers favour sony
UM...You know what you just linked shows the 360's GPU ahead in every single aspect right? Or were you being sarcastic?
Actually it doesn't show that at all. They are very similar in power. Do you not know the concept of unified pipelines? Sure, it can do every process faster, but when it needs to do multiple processes at the same time, the shit hits the fan. Also, faster GPU clock means more actions, specially when the CPU has to pick up some slack in processing graphics.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
Baby Tea said:
HuCast said:
Rage will prove him wrong ;)
No joke.
Games look phenominal on both systems. Look at Rage, for example, which looks fantastic. Or Crysis 2, which also looks amazing. Both of which run fine on both systems. Poor flamebait marketing crap is poor.
If John Carmack from Id Software, ya know, the legendary developers that INVENTED the FPS genre with every in house product getting amazing ratings with RAGE being best of E3, says that the PS3 and the Xbox 360 have equal hardware abilities, I'll believe him before I believe a guy from a company that I've never heard of who designed a sandbox game that I could care less about.

IamSofaKingRaw

Jun 28, 2010
mjc0961 said:
BWAHAHAHAHA!! He really thinks inFamous is a "complex" game? What a joke! Sorry, I would believe this coming from someone at Naughty Dog (as Uncharted 2 was mentioned) or Insomniac, but Sucker Punch? You guys obviously have a far overinflated opinion of your game. Quite frankly, it was just another run of the mill third person shooter, and not a very good one at that. The only reason it wouldn't be on 360 is because the 360 has so many more and so many higher quality third person shooters that it doesn't need your drivel.

At this point, the only thing I'm going to look at inFamous 2 and say is "Chris Zimmerman is the Peter Molyneux of PS3, he can't deliver on his promises."
The fact that you called Infamous a third person shooter gives you no credibility. It is fact that the 360 is inferior to ps3. Some might say look at Rage and I say look at Killzone 2 or God of War. You say Wow halo Reach is so realistic, I say take a gander at Uncharted 2. If the 360 can handle all these types of games the ps3 releases, why have I seen zero? Idk why people are bashing on Suckerpunch they aren't ps3's main devs. We have the creators of GoW, MGS4 (the real one, Rising is a side story thing that will be a spinoff 'meh' type game), Uncharted and Killzone that headline ps3 titles. Not to mention LBP. The 360 barely has anything to offer other than halo, Gears and Fable all of which I've played which means that I have no use for it until Christmas time.

TOGSolid

Jul 15, 2008
ITT: Fanboys nerd rage and argue about console hardware while I kick back with a 4.0ghz i7-920 and a Radeon 5970.

GJ, you all just got trolled by that Infamous dev.

randomic

Dec 29, 2009
Xersues said:
...SNIP...
Finally, someone who understands the concept of software bloat. For anyone who still doesn't get it, here are some layman's terms: Computer A runs program written in Python. Computer B runs program written in C. Computer B runs program faster. That doesn't imply that Computer B is necessarily faster though, does it?

/continuerant

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Jumplion said:
He is talking about processing power. Processors handle more than just graphics; AI, modeling, textures, etc...
Notice how I also included "computationally complex?"

The game is hardly any different from Prototype in terms of complexity, by which I meant AI, modeling, etc. They're very similar games in that regard. Sure, Infamous is mildly prettier than Prototype, but I put this down more to art direction than anything else (Infamous actually understands that there is a color SPECTRUM.)

So yeah, I wasn't talking out my ass. Everything Infamous did can almost certainly be done on a 360: you'd just have to be someone who knows how to utilize the 360's capabilities. The fact that Crysis 2 is coming out for both consoles, and is supposed to be equally breathtaking on all fronts, should be a indicator of how the consoles are equally well-equipped to handle anything that's thrown at them below Crysis 2-levels processor-wise.

I'd say that Infamous takes less processing power than Crysis 2, wouldn't you?

Apr 29, 2010
Boy, I sure am glad to see that the console war is still going strong. Honestly, I don't care what this man says. I play on the 360, and I like it. If I want to get a PS3 or a new PC to play games exclusive to them, I will. If not, then I won't.

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
Yes... the PS3's processing power is only marginally better than the Xbox... That's why the the military use it as a supercomputer. I love fanboy comments.

Xersues

DRM-free or give me death!
Dec 11, 2009
scotth266 said:
Crappy code can take up huge amounts of processing power fairly quickly. Remember how it was said the PS3 can do ***Warning number being pulled out of ass*** 2 terraflops of processing?

Well they did that by writing code that just computes numbers very quickly. It's analogous to just revving an engine to the max for shits and giggles.

The secret is using the maximum amount of processing power doing thing things you WANT, not accidentally making the physics engine try too hard to figure out liquid physics, or AI routines using crappy pathing to figure out how to get to you.

THAT is the secret of programming. Anyone could make a program to lock up a PS3 by making it burn a hole in the ground processing dumb things.

HyenaThePirate

Jan 8, 2009
Realistically, what is so complex about these games?

From my experience, Uncharted 2 and inFamous suffer from the same thing Modern Warfare 2 does: It's all WINDOW DRESSING.

I'd venture to say that RED DEAD REDEMPTION is a more complex, deep, and involving game than ANY of the three I just mentioned. And yet I don't hear any Rock Star people spouting off about how this could never have been done on the

Thing is, BOTH inFamous and Uncharted AND GOD of WAR 3 pull the wool over our eyes when they talk about "complexity". What they REALLY mean is "We've designed INCREDIBLY visual set-pieces that look AMAZINGLY cinematic and exciting but utilize carefully scripted events to make things feel as visceral and exciting without actually GIVING you, the player of our GAME much input beyond some basic tried-and-true control schemes."

Think about it. In almost all three of those games, you were limited to very specific areas that had a lot of detail but were just window dressing at the end of the day. Infamous had a nice big city, but the city wasnt any more "realistic" or "alive" than a game that did the same thing 5 years ago: CRACKDOWN. You can't enter ANY of the buildings... most of the environments aren't destroyable except for the requisite "lamp posts" and "cars on the street".. What if I wanted cole to drive a car for a while? Ooops nope can't do that. Well I'm almost all out of electricity power.. I'll just pick up one of these machine guns and fight my way thr.. oh wait, can't do that either. In fact, I can't seem to do A LOT of stuff for a so-called "sandbox" game. Uncharted isn't much better, being pretty much Tomb Raider without the boobs and a much improved targeting system. No what made these games exciting and great is all of the scripted action sequences. This is what people remember from modern warfare, but seem to have forgotten about the single player mode. It was only awesome and short because it consisted of "one and done" scene structures. What if I wanted to travel around burger town some more? Oh well, too bad, that isn't in the script. Uncharted 2 had very little actual Exploration that wasn't consistently ushering you down an invisible funnel towards the story that the developers wanted. So there you are, in the mountains of Tibet or whatever, but hey, no running around, just go where you need to go and get it over with.

Good games? Sure, all of them are GREAT gaming experiences. But are they something that could have been done on the xbox 360 and PC? Sure as shit they are. It just depends on how much MONEY someone was willing to throw at them. You add enough 0's on the end of that check, and I garuntee you'd see a complete "reversal" on these sorts of statements as these developers suddenly discover they can work MIRACLES when properly motivated.

Don't get me wrong, I love my PS3 and almost all of the games mentioned, but it does me head in to hear people make comments like how "this wont work there, blah blah blah" because it makes the presumption that I am an idiot in their minds, to be led around like fan-cattle.

Want a great example? Rewind to a week ago when Gabe Newell ate his own shit at E3 when he sold his bloody soul and came out to promote Portal 2 on the PS3. And possibly LFD3.
Ask HIM about making statements about what can't be done on what system..

Gasaraki

Oct 15, 2009
Oh yeah, because the xbox360 totally can't run an open world and good graphics...
That guy must be a great ventriloquist because it really looks like he's talking out of his ass.

Adzma said:
Yes... the PS3's processing power is only marginally better than the Xbox... That's why the the military use it as a supercomputer. I love fanboy comments.
Actually, the military uses PS3s as supercomputers because thanks to Other OS, a feature which Sony has removed, they can install linux and hook them up together in order to use the combined PS3s as a supercomputer. One PS3 isn't as powerful as a supercomputer.
Yeah, I love fanboy comments too.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
scotth266 said:
Jumplion said:
He is talking about processing power. Processors handle more than just graphics; AI, modeling, textures, etc...
Notice how I also included "computationally complex?"

The game is hardly any different from Prototype in terms of complexity, by which I meant AI, modeling, etc. They're very similar games in that regard. Sure, Infamous is mildly prettier than Prototype, but I put this down more to art direction than anything else (Infamous actually understands that there is a color SPECTRUM.)

So yeah, I wasn't talking out my ass. Everything Infamous did can almost certainly be done on a 360: you'd just have to be someone who knows how to utilize the 360's capabilities. The fact that Crysis 2 is coming out for both consoles, and is supposed to be equally breathtaking on all fronts, should be a indicator of how the consoles are equally well-equipped to handle anything that's thrown at them below Crysis 2-levels processor-wise.

Are you talking about the original InFamous or InFamous 2? Because of course InFamous 1 had processing problems and such, it was Sucker Punch's first ever game on the Ps3, Chris Zimmerman even admits it,

"We made some really dumb decisions in [inFamous], but we've managed to fix them," he said in an interview with Play Magazine. "We had to tear a whole bunch of stuff up and put it back together. In technical terms the biggest thing that we've done is migrate a much larger part of our code to run on the SPUs. The PS3 has this elaborate architecture where there's a whole bunch of different places you can have your code run and we had it all running in the slow part."

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
scotth266 said:
The fact that Crysis 2 is coming out for both consoles, and is supposed to be equally breathtaking on all fronts, should be a indicator of how the consoles are equally well-equipped to handle anything that's thrown at them below Crysis 2-levels processor-wise.

This ain't 2007 any more, you can't just say "it's Crysis!" and expect it to mean anything.

I mean you can "run" crysis on integrated graphics (shitty graphics)... if you lower the setting and resolution enough. It remains to be seen if the either version has settings "turned down" as in lower native resolution, less detailed lighting or textures or has significantly worse framerate. What subtler sacrifices will be made like per-object motion blur or even as far as simplifying environments.

From what has been shown so far of the Crysis 2 Demos the lighting, textures and so on are more on par with medium settings and no where near the revered Very High settings which made Crysis 1 legendary on PC (digital foundry's conclusion, not mine). So it's a leap in logic to say "crysis was the best graphics, therefore Crysis 2 has be best graphics evar, even on PS3 and 360"

Personally, I doubt Crysis 2 will be the best graphics seen on PS3 or 360 respectively. Crytek are new to consoles, taking on a three systems at once and they don't have many resources to tackle the issues.

The latest gameplay demos look very good... but I have played Crysis on Very High at 900p and they aren't as good as that.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
mjc0961 said:
The only reason it wouldn't be on 360 is because the 360 has so many more and so many higher quality third person shooters that it doesn't need your drivel.
really? like what -.- as I've yet to hear of anything GOOD on the 360 that i can't get on my PS3, no seriously, i want a list.

but back OT: his fan-boy-ing aside, if the devs have the hardware figured out, then great, they can (in theory) start maximizing the use of the consuls power, and if they staff are allowed, they can create some truly epic games, in terms of well, everything.

there's a reason my list of 'best games EVER' is filled with games that are older the some you you reading this, they knew how to maximise the consul's power, and create gems for the ages.

Chrono Trigger, 15 years old, and STILL a better game then most other RPGs out today, on both sides of the water

Super Metroid 15 years old: one of the best action games ever made.

course that said, if infamous 2 ends up sucking, I'll be right there with the guy i just quoted to call every one at sucker punch an assclown :3

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Jumplion said:
Ah, I assumed he was talking about the first game. Carefully re-reading this though it's obvious he's referring to the second one.

I'll believe it when I see the final release in action. The trailers thus far don't wow me enough to say "Yeah, that's not something that can be done on a 360."

The 360's capabilities are far higher than most people make them out to be. When most first-party devs say "this can't be done on the 360/PS3", I feel inclined to disbelieve (with certain exceptions. Media Molecule can get away with it thanks to how limiting Microsoft is when it comes to Xbox Live, for example. I'm also inclined to believe Naughty Dog. But Sucker Punch and Lionhead can't get away with that.)

Nifty

Sep 30, 2008
I actually can't believe the PS3 vs 360 debate is still raging on after all these years. Both consoles are borderline obsolete thanks to the continual development of the PC. Stop arguing about your insignificant toys and just be grateful that they can just barely manage HD gaming. 'k?

Motiv_

Jun 2, 2009
Holy fuck, the fanboys are out in force today.

There is no point in fighting over the internet. You know WHY? Because if someone truly is a fanboy as you accuse them, then they're never going to listen to you, no matter how much you prove them wrong, if you ever do succeed in doing so. So all you end up doing is making someone like me laugh my ass off going through and reading all these comments.

@Article.
Welcome to the modern age. I bet you a Microsoft representative will reply within the next 24 hours, stating why *Insert exclusive here* will ONLY work on the Xbox 360, and then a Nintendo rep will come flying out of the woodworks and join the fight. Hell, The Escapist posts at least one article of these kind of flamebait articles once a week. I don't blame them for it, I love reading the articles and replies therein, but people STILL act surprised as if no one's ever seen it before.

/ArrogantRant

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
DJmagma said:
who said anything about graphics? the city in infamous is incredibly complex, filled with pipes and ledges that you wouldn't notice without a parkour system.

the fact you went straight to graphics means you never played the original infamous.
That is what they're trying to imply though, from what I can tell.

"We've got more power here, so we can make a bigger city and make it prettier, too!
Lulz, Xbox sucks, we're not biased or anything, we don't have any reason to say this..."

And I'm not an Xbox 360 fan boy, that console isn't perfect, neither is the PS3.