inFamous Developer: You Can't Do That on a 360

zakski

Mar 24, 2009
Korten12 said:
zakski said:
Vaccine said:
Remember the Air Force buying a shitton of PS3s for processing power?, they didn't buy 360's for processing power.
I'd rethink that statement, lol.
No they bought them because the original ps3s had the other os feature so that you can run linux on it.
um... if that was the reason they wouldnt have bought ps3's... >.> they would have bought linux computers...
nope because buying a lot of ps3s is cheaper than buying the same amount of pcs

Omnific One

Apr 3, 2010
Treblaine said:
Omnific One said:
I'm calling BS on this one. If you can get Rage or Crysis 2 to run on a 360, then you can certainly get a game that is significantly worse looking to run. It's just that Sony either paid them off or they are too lazy to optimize code/engine.

Edit: Same as I would call any 360 exclusive dev saying that a game can only run on the 360. I harbor no bias.
if only it was that simple.

You seem to take games like Rage or Crysis 2 on consoles with many assumptions:
-each are AS BEST as they could possibly appear on each system (they aren't, they settle for good enough)
-the developers are not merely trying to find the highest common denominator in processing between each system (actually they are doing that)
-both of those games WILL in fact look as good as each other (Digital Foundry have found this is rarely the case)

Regardless, if you want the best version of either of those games then get the PC version and upgrade your PC.

See it is when you have EXCLUSIVE development, that is when developers can respectively exploit each system's special abilities, code in content based on each system's strengths and avoiding its weaknesses.

While there have been good exclusive Xbox 360 games in terms of gameplay, the machine has failed to really deliver the amazing graphics through even extended periods of exclusive development in the same way PS3 has.

Now graphics don't make a great games to justify getting a console but they DO justify their expense, Xbox 360 Elite with Gold Subscription can be very expensive. Graphics = money. With this in mind that is why I got the XBox Arcade, the system is not worth any more than $199 in terms of graphical capability.
If Crysis 2 and Rage can settle for "good enough", why can't Infamous 2? In reality, what are the real weaknesses and strengths of the 360 versus the PS3 that would require a complete recoding? Maybe I'm just ignorant of the details but nothing suggests this is true. What about cross-platform games? The real explanation is that PS3-exclusive devs just say this to give a guise of reason; likewise with any 360-exclusive dev that does the same. This above post seems like a Sony fanboy through and through so I can't argue with it as an impartial observer. In reality, neither the 360, nor the PS3 has really gotten anywhere near to what the PC can do so that statement that "the machine [360] has failed to really deliver the amazing graphics through even extended periods of exclusive development in the same way PS3 has" seems like a fanboy statement.

Consider that I play mostly on the 360. It has glaring flaws, just like every other console.

dwoo21

Aug 30, 2009
First of all I have a PS3 but but the 360 and PS3 can handle the same thing. The process to duplicate the game and find each "fast area" is the hard part. I'm sure they meant that instead of "you can't do that(inFamous) on a 360"

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
Ah, the Console Wars still hold much sway, it seems.

I'm an Xbox owner, and a proud one at that, but I think that it's ludicrous to discount the PS3. It is a highly impressive machine, of that I have no doubt.
However, I hate its controllers with a passion that should only be poured into a lifelong hobby or a marriage.
That's right. I love hating the shit out of them.

I got over my hatred of them for my playthrough of Heavy Rain, though, and I have enjoyed MW2 on it as well... although probably not as much as I would have enjoyed it on my Xbox... I didn't really feel like shelling out a lot of money for the game, though. Campaign was way too short, and multiplayer really doesn't do it for me these days.

That said, the ps3 is more powerful in terms of technical sophistication and in processing ability than the Xbox.
Does the Xbox need to be as powerful? Not really. I'm happy with how it is, to be frank.

Oh.. to be Frank..

Pearwood

Mar 24, 2010
Now in my opinion the ps3 is better than the 360 (ENTIRELY due to the fact that I own a ps3 and not a 360) but honestly? Infamous graphics were good but they're not the best I've seen, FF13 had much better and was released on the 360.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
zakski said:
Korten12 said:
zakski said:
Vaccine said:
Remember the Air Force buying a shitton of PS3s for processing power?, they didn't buy 360's for processing power.
I'd rethink that statement, lol.
No they bought them because the original ps3s had the other os feature so that you can run linux on it.
um... if that was the reason they wouldnt have bought ps3's... >.> they would have bought linux computers...
nope because buying a lot of ps3s is cheaper than buying the same amount of pcs
well I dont know the amount for linux computers so what do I know. :p

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
Treblaine said:
Why would it need updating? Consoles all have the EXACT SAME SPEC as back in 2006.
There are two things wrong with the article:

1. The article was written before the PS3 came out.

2. Even the article itself says maximum theoretical numbers.

That is why an updated article would be better.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
zombays said:
"OMG!!!111!!! GRAPHICS MAKE A GAME!", Sucker Punch studios on inFamous 2. Anyone remember Ocarina of Time and Half-life?
I agree graphics dont make a game but you are using examples of games that for their time looked good.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Treblaine said:
OK. PC is better at physics and logic too :p but only if you consider such features worth a dedicated GPU to process it (yes, paradoxically the graphics cards in PC can sometimes handle the physics). But anyway, quad core CPUs for PC, gigabytes of RAM... they're right crack.
Eh, we're not really talking about PCs anyway, so if PC is better at physics and logic then good for them (maybe I'll find out soon when my new PC comes in :D)

But it's your earlier reply in this quote string I really want to respond to.
PS3 from 2006 runs games EXACTLY THE SAME as a brand new PS3 Slim from 2010... same with Xbox 360. This is what consoles are ALL ABOUT, the specifications are the same just shoved into smaller circuitry, games play identically, there has been no change in performance nor potential performance of any console platforms.
Some parts have been changed internally in both 360 and PS3, stating that more efficient uses of the parts were possible with the new pieces of hardware (I remember when the PS3 got a smaller, more efficient chip of some sort, that also allowed it to lower in price, though god help me if I can find the article(s))

Omnific One said:
If Crysis 2 and Rage can settle for "good enough", why can't Infamous 2?
Why would you ever want to settle for "Eh, good 'nuff"? That stuff gets you a "B-" in school. So all games should just settle for "good 'nuff" and just evenly spread the "love" and not try to settle for anything better?

randomic

Dec 29, 2009
You simply cannot compare the two consoles based on multi-platform games. If a developer sets out to make a multi-platform game you will always end up with a game which runs better on one system than on the other (normally they run better on the 360 since the cell broadband engine doesn't handle ports very well). If you really want to find out which system is better you'd need to develop a series of identical benchmark tests independently on each system. However, that is a task which would be very expensive since I can't even imagine the number of different tests which would be required.

The PS3 has an incredible piece of hardware inside, the cell broadband engine. Sadly, I don't think any piece of software will fully utilize this before the next generation is released. It's infamous [lol] for being unimaginably hard to develop games on. What is does well is floating point operations, for example: it can run a brute force gravity sim with over 12,000 bodies very, very quickly and can do real time ray tracing phenomenally fast. It's just not made to develop games on, it's a supercomputer essentially. The xbox is a specialized machine made entirely for gaming, hence it will almost always run ports better. blah blah blah etc.

All that aside, based completely on what's under the hood, the PS3 will do maths faster.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Macgyvercas said:
The Austin said:
I officially call bullshit.

I'm no scientist, but I'm pretty damn sure that the Xbox and the PS3 can both handle the exact same things.

Next time, I hope they just say, "Yeah, screw Xbox, we like PS3 more."
Believe it or not, I think the 360 has a better frame rate, or at least a more consistant one. I looked at side by side screens of Tomb Raider Underworld, and the 360 one did look a bit more refined.
well that also just depends on which console was the main developed on, if the 360 was the main one then the ps3 version will suffer and vice versa.

randomic

Dec 29, 2009
Jumplion said:
Some parts have been changed internally in both 360 and PS3, stating that more efficient uses of the parts were possible with the new pieces of hardware (I remember when the PS3 got a smaller, more efficient chip of some sort, that also allowed it to lower in price, though god help me if I can find the article(s))
The chip had a smaller architecture and so ran cooler and with a smaller PSU. No change to the performance though really.

Xersues

DRM-free or give me death!
Dec 11, 2009
Many of you have completely missed the bar on what it means to accurately program a game for it's desired machine specification.

Lets take a look at Crysis 2:

1) It's being developed with the PS3 as the lead console. Why? Ask them, but in my opinion it's because it would take them the longest to learn and allow them to benchmark from.
2) The PC version will not be superior. Why? Because your PC probably can't handle it. Have the best PC ever? Well guess what, it probably wasn't programmed with your configuration in mind and will run like shit until the 1.01 patch with beta graphic drivers, and some config file tweaking.

Nvidia or ATI, or sound card issue, etc. That is why consoles are handy. Your console is more or less the same no matter what SKU you bought.

How many stories do you read of "This can't be done on the PS3". Oh that's right. None. Read the article carefully, they moved more of the code over to the faster part of the PS3 to utilize more of the architecture. It does not mean graphics solely, it has more to do with what they want to do with the game in general. If the graphics are more efficient they can add more into the game itself. More into the details, more into the responsiveness, more into what they want to show.

Graphics or not, a better representation of their game (which will be graphical. Any doubt that Graphics does not make a game is false, its a major compliment otherwise games perfected on Facebook or Iphone *shudders*) will make for a better game in general. Responsive combat, great visuals, great story, are all represented graphically and audibly.

You all didn't forget we play VIDEO - GAMES did you? Games represented through video?

And finally, all of you that talk on a purely "technical" level using numbers and saying this is better faster whatever in general need to get a clue. You have none.

There is no such thing as perfect code. Neither the PS3 or Xbox are perfect, and they have many bugs, and hoops to get through to get the game the company wants out. It's about support, and willingness of Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo to support those that make their games.

Just because its technically possible, doesn't mean its actually possible. You'd be shocked (and you shouldn't be) to find what ideas are turned away or "tweaked" just because money said so and the developers were not supported before money ran out.

/endrant

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
randomic said:
Jumplion said:
The chip had a smaller architecture and so ran cooler and with a smaller PSU. No change to the performance though really.
Hmm, I heard that it changed performance quite well. But again, god help me if I can find the articles, I tend to just remember things.

DracoSuave

Jan 26, 2009
Statement:

'We found that we can do more with the system after making what is critically and publicly acknowledged to be a very good game, and that more is something we can't do with another system because it involves using multiple processors, which the other system does not have. We think you'll like what we're doing.'

Ragetard Rebuttal:

'BUT GAMES THAT DO NOT DO THIS NEW TRICK AND ARE PORTS BETWEEN SYSTEMS LOOK SIMILIAR SO YOU MUST BE TALKING OUT OF YOUR ASS! WHY IS HE TALKING ABOUT GRAPHICS!?'

If you don't know how to read what someone is saying, you really shouldn't be commenting on their statements' merits. Fail on, ragetards! Fail on!

Sucker Punch is a company that makes good games, and are considered a 'gameplay over graphics' company. Learn what the fuck you are talking about before you decided to click on 'Quote' please.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I can sorta see the point there...the PS3 does have alot of untapped power behind it, ready to accept the bigger, more powerful games that are coming along

Digikid

Dec 29, 2007
inFamous developer Sucker Punch Productions says it was a rough ride figuring out the PlayStation 3 architecture but the payoff was worth it because the Xbox 360 just doesn't have the power to handle such complex games.
I am sorry but my bullshit meter just went off of the scale!!!!!!