Infuriating social faux pas

Lethos

Dec 9, 2010
WhyBotherToTry said:
People who don't wash their hands after they go to the bathroom. Infuriating and absolutely vile to boot.
This, so much this. Hate it whenever my brother comes back from uni because he has such shit hygiene. Insists on walking around everywhere with his hands around his cock as well.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Well, people who spit are pretty annoying. And people who don`t realize in kinda need some personal space. I`ve met a few people who, when talking, come so close that it`s quite disturbing. Feels weird. But maybe it`s just me, and I´m overly sensitive. Who knows.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
El Presidente said:
The one-upsman. The one who hears you tell a story, then immediately chimes in with his own. If it's a story about something you've accomplished, he'll try to make it seem insignificant compared to his own. If it's about something else, he'll talk about something similar that he feels will make him seem more interesting/knowledgable. They always do this, even if it's blatantly bullshit. You can easily tell these apart from people who just think "I have an interesting story on this topic too, if I share it they might find it entertaining" by the smugness they radiate and the fact they do it all the god damn time.

Don't be that guy.
I heard he recently went to elevenerrife after hearing that others went to tenerife!

OT: I hate it when people who you haven't seen for years walk by you asn stop to say hi... This bit is not so bad, but it takes the piss when they say at the end 'OH, we are so going to have to meet up for a coffee to catch up soon...

This pisses me off for many reasons! First, we hadn't spoken for years, we both know that we arn't going to suddenly become friends and actually take the time to 'catch up'! The reason we didn't keep in touch was that we don't have that much in common, and frankly, I find you rather boring...

Secondly it just shows that they wern't listning to a bloody word I was saying!! When I run into someone in my home town, in the 2 minute speil I give to tell them what I am up to, I will always mention that I no longer live in my hometown, and I am just visiting... That mean I WILL NOT BE AROUND TO MEET UP FOR 'a coffee and catch up'!!! I'ts nice to be damn blatantly ignored!

As Seen On 360

Jan 22, 2012
bahumat42 said:
As Seen On 360 said:
People who stay glued to their phone the whole day. Because, you know, it's really urgent that they respond to "lol im bored wut r u doing", rather than pay attention to what's around them. In short, people who are too self important and egotistical.

Also, people who speak and use "Like" and "I don't know" which accounts for 50% of the words they've said. Not sure where the self esteem went but they have to take ownership of what they say, rather than including words that remove all personal responsibility from their opinion.
I think given a boring situation most people would whip out their phone and do something interesting. If its happening to you a lot i would look into reasons why. But hey thats just my take on it.
I was referring to people that look at their phones all day long, not during conversation with me. I don't care who it is, no one's got an urgent enough conversation that they need to space out in the middle of the day. I'd find texting more tolerable if people actually talked about something, anything signicant.

Like people who write a book whilst sitting in public, it's more of a cry for attention to show how important they are than anything else. Most functions of a cell phone are used constantly to do frivolous things, which would be fine if you weren't bumping into people in the hall and making it their concern.

Anthony Wells

May 28, 2011
WWmelb said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
WWmelb said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
Lev The Red said:
*people who wear hats inside. once you leave the foyer, you hat comes off.
I never got that, and I deliberately wear my hat inside because it's my hat, and I can do what I want with it.
Agree with Lev the Red. It may be old fashioned but it's a simple issue of manners. It's how i was brought up and it really irks me.
But manners aren't universal, you shouldn't expect people to do what you consider polite when they might have a completely different idea. Sure, in your own home ask people to take their hat off, but anywhere else you shouldn't have a problem.
IMO there are a certain set of manners which are or should be universal (or nearly so) and up until recently, they were for the most part.

These are : Go inside.. take your hat off. Say please. Say thank you. Hold the door for women and the elderly and impaired. Offer your seat on public transport to the above. And for the love of god don't spit it in public places.

Like i said, i'm a touch old fashioned, but hey. Manners are not a bad thing, and don't take a lot of effort.

And the argument "i don't think "x" behaviour is rude so its a-okay for me do "x" behaviour without consideration for social etiquette doesn't fly with me. i know that's putting what you said a little more harshly, but that's the impression i get coming from the general public these days.

i hate it when i do something nice with manners and get yelled at for it... seriously it happens.. i hold the door open for elderly then the young perso behind them gets angry because i didnt hold the door open for them.. (they were far away at the time) I take my hat off in restaurant and any other place with food (once i sit down of course)..but normal buildings i do not because thats not how i was raised..i was raised to take my hat off at tables and at restaurants and to hold the door open for others (even when i get yelled at for it..im waiting for a woman to clal me sexist for ti so i can slam it in her face just liike i would any guy getting angry at me..)

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
WWmelb said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
WWmelb said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
Lev The Red said:
I never got that, and I deliberately wear my hat inside because it's my hat, and I can do what I want with it.
Agree with Lev the Red. It may be old fashioned but it's a simple issue of manners. It's how i was brought up and it really irks me.
But manners aren't universal, you shouldn't expect people to do what you consider polite when they might have a completely different idea. Sure, in your own home ask people to take their hat off, but anywhere else you shouldn't have a problem.
IMO there are a certain set of manners which are or should be universal (or nearly so) and up until recently, they were for the most part.

These are : Go inside.. take your hat off. Say please. Say thank you. Hold the door for women and the elderly and impaired. Offer your seat on public transport to the above. And for the love of god don't spit it in public places.

Like i said, i'm a touch old fashioned, but hey. Manners are not a bad thing, and don't take a lot of effort.

And the argument "i don't think "x" behaviour is rude so its a-okay for me do "x" behaviour without consideration for social etiquette doesn't fly with me. i know that's putting what you said a little more harshly, but that's the impression i get coming from the general public these days.
Well, alright then. You do what you want, but I'm not going to change in the slightest.

Shavon513

Apr 5, 2010
Idiots talking or giggling in a quiet zone at a library. Especially teenagers who think they are above the rules.

Gawd, that makes me sound like an old fogey.

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
Mortai Gravesend said:
WWmelb said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
WWmelb said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
Lev The Red said:

'Manners' are a bad thing when they're enforcing sexist ideals. Like treating women any differently for no real reason. The door is not so heavy for her than she can't open it herself, nor is a ride on public transportation so ardous that the average women is going to die from not having a seat. Manners are just socially defined rules, they're hardly above scrutiny just as society itself is not.
I had a feeling someone would be of the belief that "chivalry" is sexist. It's not. I was brought up without a father, only a mother and a sister, and it's out of respect and courtesy, not out of believing that a woman is inferior and cannot do these things herself. If anything, it is elevating women to a higher standard than men, lowering the male to mere servant. But that's taking it to an extreme.
Flames66 said:
WWmelb said:
I disagree with two of those. One is the hat thing, but you know about that. The other is holding doors for women. If it is convenient and polite to do so, I hold the door open for anyone, being a woman has nothing to do with it.
And yes, i hold the door for anybody who is close by, but i will wait for a longer time to be polite to women, and especially pregnant women, the elderly and those with disabilities.

I don't actually lose my head at people that don't hold up to the same set of manners that i do (apart from spitting in public which is just ... well... ewww) I just live by my own standards and live and let others live.

Surprisingly enough, even though i may have come off as kind of idealistic and fanatical, it's the inability to tolerate others and the way they do things that pisses me off more than anything lol

EDIT: I'd never touch anyone or anyone's hat without their permission. Even if they didn't take it off in my house.

keideki

Sep 10, 2008
I hate it when someone in a position of power or authority over me asks me to do something when what they are really doing is telling me. I know its about trying to be nice or show kindness, but honestly people in authority or with power to do so, like parents or bosses depending on the situation, HAVE the authority to tell you to do it. I feel like its being more honest to just order me to do the work than ask me in a way that always sounds like your trying to weasel your way into my good graces.

cyxceven

Apr 8, 2009
It fills me with hate when people line up to a kiosk without asking if you're a customer in line.
I AM THE LINE!!!

So i'm standing under the "Order here" sign, waiting for an employee to take my order for a slice of pizza, when some boner couple walks right up to the cash register AT THE END OF THE LINE and starts ordering.
Single-celled neural cluster-filled employee just doesn't give a crap and ignores me. I speak up as to this injustice and the couple gives me the stink eye. The pizza jockey just looks at me with the cloudiest expression she can muster so I promptly leave, unable to diagnose autism as I am not a doctor.

I ended up going to a doughnut shop with way nicer people and forgot the whole thing. Or did I?

LordFisheh

Dec 31, 2008
The thing with chivalry is it's totally arbitrary. I don't think it's a bad thing, but then you get those who demand it of others. Women doing so is just... ridiculous. Worse, though, is when chivalrous men take the opportunity to look down on anyone not like them for not following their codes. I wouldn't say it's sexist to be chivalrous, but it's certainly sexist to treat chivalry as the way a man 'should' be. 'To hell with what you want or think', they say, 'you were born with a penis through random chance and must now do this, this, and this, because it's been done that way for a long time'.

Not that I'm accusing anyone here of this, but I've seen people before who act like non-chivalrous people are disrespectful, inferior and not 'proper men', whatever that's supposed to mean.

madeleinehatter

Mar 8, 2010
People in stores (or wherever) who don't respond to polite statements of "Excuse me"..."Excuse me"..."EXCUSE ME" but then get offended when I have to get all up in their breathing space to get past them.