Inside the Sick Mind of a School Shooter Mod

Lono Shrugged

May 7, 2009
If playing this game causes one school shooting to be avoided........it will still be a tasteless and pointless game.

The only thing I think is terrible is that this basement modder is going to get tons of press and loads of downloads so that when he looks in the mirror and thinks "yeah I'm counter culture" he'll be able to somewhat back it up

sheah1

Jul 4, 2010
If you want to make a game about killing innocents, then please, for the love of God, make it about LITERALLY. ANYTHING. ELSE. You wanna murder civilians? Ok, but please, please please please, do not imitate the fucking bastards who did exactly what you want to do in this game

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Woodsey said:
MrJKapowey said:
Woodsey said:
MrJKapowey said:
Wow, just WOW. Why would you do this? It will allow all those 'games make you a psycho' gits to actually have something which has you playing as a realistic psycho, with realistic weapons, in a realistic setting - killing innocent people.
You have played GTA IV, haven't you? Or any of them for that matter.

I'm not defending this guy, but that's a rather loose description you're giving. Its in extremely poor taste, but you could argue that about plenty of games if you really wanted.
Sorry, I meant 'killing innocent children'.
Oh of course, the world ends as soon as you kill a pretend one of those.

I take it you were massively offended by the FO3 mod that lets you go postal in Little Lamplight then (as well as letting you kill any other children you find in the wasteland, obviously)?
Great, more things to rage at. Yes, I am VERY offended at that.

But seriously, there's a difference between killing in self defense (the maximum I go for in games, and much prefer not doing that) and murdering as many as you can for points. I don't support Duke Nukem, Bulletstorm or Serious Sam either, do I maintain my right to rage at this developer?

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
I don't find it that big a deal, really.
The setting is an easy way to bring attention to an otherwise unremarkable mod and anyone who goes "OH NO, THAT'S TERRIBLE" is only adding fuel to the attention.

MrJKapowey

Oct 31, 2010
Woodsey said:
MrJKapowey said:
Woodsey said:
MrJKapowey said:
Wow, just WOW. Why would you do this? It will allow all those 'games make you a psycho' gits to actually have something which has you playing as a realistic psycho, with realistic weapons, in a realistic setting - killing innocent children.
You have played GTA IV, haven't you? Or any of them for that matter.

I'm not defending this guy, but that's a rather loose description you're giving. Its in extremely poor taste, but you could argue that about plenty of games if you really wanted.
Oh of course, the world ends as soon as you kill a pretend one of those.

I take it you were massively offended by the FO3 mod that lets you go postal in Little Lamplight then (as well as letting you kill any other children you find in the wasteland, obviously)?
Nope never heard of it. I'm not offended. I just would never be able to do that (Damn, I couldn't do the kill Theresa ending in Fable 1 - ever.). Others will think the world ends under such circumstances, and they may be in positions of power.

(i.e - The ratings boards)

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
JourneyThroughHell said:
And I would say something about people defending him, but I don't want to pick fights.
You have however, got my interest. Could you PM me? I won't be offended and I won't yell at you, don't worry :p I'm just curious

HT_Black said:
That guy's a troll. I'm just calling it now--he's trolling.

...Right?
He has a trailer up if you want to search for it.

Eternal_Lament

Sep 23, 2010
I don't think I'll download this game, not because of the subject matter, but because the guy making it sounds like an asshole to me. There were a few things he said that I can somewhat understand myself thinking, but for the most part this guy just sounds like some wierd contradiction within itself. He sounds like some sort of "rebellious" or "bad boy" art student who thinks that just because they are dealing with "mature" subject matter that he is now creating some sort of "stick it to the man" protest, yet his claim that games have nothing really deep about them gives the impressio that this is more of a juvenile fantasy of "being mature" or "sticking it to the man", which is ironic since he is also in favour of the California bill.

The part that annoys me the most is that this seems more like a "I'm bored, lets see what I can get away with project" than anything else, as the fact that its a school shooting gives no context as to why anyone would want to play it. You know how he mentions that he doesn't want to show how the victims react afterwards or what consequences this game has? If a game about a school shooting had that as well as perhaps a beginning as to why this person is shooting up a school, I'd start to give it more credit. Why? Because it puts the entire thing into perspective. It gets the point across that the event we are controlling is something that is actually happening rather than some blip in the dark with no real context or purpose. I get that there are several games that do that, including this one, in which it just makes the event without context, and I must admit that Bulletstorm looks good for that, but in the event of a real world thing, something that has to be contrained around the real world's physics, the question has to be asked what the point is? If all I wanted to do was to earn points by shooting "realistic" but bland people in a "realistic" world in which I am solely constrained by that, I might as well just play minesweeper and pretend that my succesful clicks are kills, my mine-marks are placing bombs or something, and clicking on a mine is me being shoot by the police or something. When a game like this offers us something that is so bland that we can already replicate it in other games without its help, the question has to be asked as to what the damn point of making this is.

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
Great....now we'll have to endure this forever.

But, who cares. he has the right to make such a mod.
Let's not blow this up ourselves.
It'll only make it more visible than it has to be.

MrJKapowey

Oct 31, 2010
Canton said:
MrJKapowey said:
Woodsey said:
MrJKapowey said:
uh what's so different about it?

what makes killing innocent grown ups not as bad?
Just, I dunno, less innocent. I couldn't kill a virtual child, dunno why. I can go on pavement + sports car rampages in GTA just fine.

Probably couldn't do it in FPSs though. (I didn't touch the trigger within the terminal building in No Russian)

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
Ehhh. He's not the first guy to make a school shooting game for teh lulz and he won't be the last. Best just to ignore it and let it fade into obscurity just like Ethnic Cleansing, The V Tech game, the various rape simulators and other crappy shock value games.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
dogstile said:
JourneyThroughHell said:
And I would say something about people defending him, but I don't want to pick fights.
You have however, got my interest. Could you PM me? I won't be offended and I won't yell at you, don't worry :p I'm just curious
I can say it right here if you don't mind.

Yes, he has the right to do that. Doesn't meant you have to support him or his message, because his idea of the reaction to the tragedy being worse than the actual tragedy is horrible.

The sole reason why he is doing this is an example of terrible cynicism.

D0WNT0WN

Sep 28, 2008
I really laughed hard, these guys are obviously out to piss as many people off as possible and im really loving the idea of it despite the fact it is going to set back the publics opinion of videogames about a decade.
Plus his answers were really well thought out any developer of a violent videogame going through some "publicity" could copy and paste those answers and get away with anything.

I salute these guys and hope that they get as much publicity as possible.

La Barata

Apr 13, 2010
Something like this speaks directly to the bullied teenager in all of us. Know what this game is? It's cathartic. Without mincing words, I fucking hated high school. I had no friends, and was picked on for fun by just about everybody because, being bigger than most and quiet, I make a good target. Hell, there was a month back in grade 12 where a group of people would follow me around at lunch and throw garbage at me. I never fought back, though. I just bottled shit up and turned it into pure hate and misanthropy. Even now, several years later, I keep up a shell and am always on the defensive. I keep people away because I quite honestly hate them now.
Why, may you ask, am I giving you lot my life story? It's on topic, not just because they both involve high schools. I have to say, playing a game like that would be cathartic. If I played this back in high school, it'd give me some sort of satisfaction. I couldn't strike back against my tormentors in real life, so I'd gun them down in the virtual world. It hurts nobody, no harm is done but to pixels.
To all of you saying "this is terrible, this is the worst thing ever, you need to die for making this!" think back to yourself at high school and how the people in it made you feel. If everyone was your best friend, then congratulations, you've succeeded in doing something that no other human in history has done. To the rest of you, however, remember how those people (you know exactly who I mean, EVERYONE has them) made you feel, and tell me taking your digital revenge wouldn't make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Jamboxdotcom

Nov 3, 2010
lacktheknack said:
Greg Tito said:
Inside the Sick Mind of a School Shooter Mod

Checkerboarded Studios set out to make a game in which you shoot schoolchildren for fun and succeeded only in offending everyone.

You're going to have to fix that now.
yeah... sadly there is a market and audience for anything, no matter how disgusting and inhuman.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
D0WNT0WN said:
I really laughed hard, these guys are obviously out to piss as many people off as possible and im really loving the idea of it despite the fact it is going to set back the publics opinion of videogames about a decade.
Plus his answers were really well thought out any developer of a violent videogame going through some "publicity" could copy and paste those answers and get away with anything.

I salute these guys and hope that they get as much publicity as possible.
I don't understand your line of reasoning. At all.

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
What an absolute son of a *****. I can't believe he doesn't seem to understand what he's doing.

Can you imagine if you had lost a sibling in say, Columbine, and you browse Moddb and this shit comes up? Because this asshole obviously can't.

This makes me sick.