Inside the Sick Mind of a School Shooter Mod

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
ouch111 said:
Tdc2182 said:
dogstile said:
I love how you assume I think i'm being a hero by defending his right not be told that he can't mod a game in his own free time.
- which is about shooting up a school based upon real school shootings that happened.

Kinda forgot a few key words there, didn't you?
The only resemblance this mod has with any shooting is in the name. You're just killing HL2 NPC citizens, and the SWAT is Civil Protection. One could argue that you can do the same thing in Garry's Mod.
Yet Gary's mod is Gary's mod.

This is School Shooting tour 2012 or something. And the guy is using weapons that were used in recent school shootings. One could argue, but they'd most likely be wrong.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
while HE made several very good points

it doesn't take away from the fact that this mod is in EXTREMELY BAD TASTE and nothing he can say can ever really justify it's existence.
granted, he's got the right to make it, not gonna argue that, but just cause you can, doesn't mean you should, called common sense

LCP

Dec 24, 2008
worst thing is that it sounds fucking boring.

Unless multipleyer is involved. Kinda would be like CS:S but with a dead innocent count

chiefohara

Sep 4, 2009
Right to free speech or no... guy is still an arsehole.

Its my right to say that as much as it is his right to make that game. He or any of his defenders take umbrage with my contempt of them... well tough... practice what you preach.

Branches

A Flawed Logical Conundrum
Oct 30, 2008
I can so hear a toilet flushing. Imagine the second the mainstream media gets a hold of this and starts flaming the ever living HELL out of Valve.

Look, you're entitled to your opinions, but for fucks sake, this is just setting the entire world back 10 years. You might just as well release the mod to only people who want a kick out of it that you know.

Tsunimo

Nov 19, 2009
Steven Glenn said:
Tsunimo said:
Steven Glenn said:
Tsunimo said:
I probably won't pLay it myself, but only because it does not look all that fun.
He has good points in his responses. I think people should just get over it.
Guess what man, the game is free. Except it's not a game, it's a MOD. It's such a piece of garbage it's not even worth the space it will take on your computer. Educate, research, check it out:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/school-shooter-north-american-tour-2012
You should probably try to realize a spelling error before you start posting crap like this.
So please, feel free to take your head out of your ass anytime you like.
Well aren't you ignorant of the King's? I advise you sir to locate your nearest dictionary and spell-check the alleged words I've misconstrued. Until then, you look like a silly man indeed. On another note, kudos on completely dodging the point of the post by resorting to ticking away at my "language skills;" my skills in language are impeccable though, I might add.

Although YOURS are another discussion indeed. How dare you peck at me for your mistakes. Get out of here Dodger, skit.
I want to post some kind of witty comeback I really do, but I do not understand what furthering this argument would achieve. You attack my lack of response, but to what? Your critique of the game? I do not care about your personal opinions about it. What I take offense over is that you seem to think you are the only one that has read anything about this game. People are not complaining about this game because you shoot actual students, they are complaining because it is an imitation of an tragic event, regardless of character models. Additionally, you seem to think yourself smarter than me because what? I forgot to type 'L' in a word. I suppose I am being contradictory now, and I am indeed furthering the argument at hand, but please, just leave this to die in the forgotten bowls of the internet, as I have more important things to do than argue with a troll. Thanks.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
TheAmazingHobo said:
Reading the interview, the dev appears to have some rather strong opinions about video games and the people who play them. Which is okay and his personal buisness.

He, however, also appears to be COMPLETLY incapable of reflection, considering other peoples viewpoints and emotions or even that he may actually be WRONG about something.

I.e. EXACTLY the type of person who could make such a game and really honestly believe that there is NOTHING wrong with it.

Edit:

SinisterGehe said:
Note: I am not defending the game, I am defending the right to create one.
Oh yes, definitly, that goes without saying.
What, exactly, is so wrong with it?

It's clearly provocative subject matter, but it just as clearly does not shy away from being upfront about it. If you find it objectionable, don't give the developer any money. It's as simple as that.

There's no reason to hate the guy because he has a differing opinion from yours.

I, for one, support the game. Not for what it does or represents, but simply because freedom of speech does not end where one's tolerance for offense does. Either everything is okay, or none of it is. There's really no middle ground.

If you want to stop the production of games like this, you'd have to also include just about any FPS (and the majority of other games) as well to avoid being glaringly hypocritical.

If it bothers you, don't buy it. That's the only valid way to display displeasure with a product.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
chiefohara said:
Right to free speech or no... guy is still an arsehole.

Its my right to say that as much as it is his right to make that game. He or any of his defenders take umbrage with my contempt of them... well tough... practice what you preach.
Agreed. The guy is clearly a douche with no regard for the opinions of others.

That label applies to 99% of humanity though, especially with regards to anyone outside of their Monkeysphere, so I'm not entirely sure it's as much of an insult as you would like.

Coalhada

Feb 6, 2009
This guy is a fucking genius. And by "genius", I mean "obnoxious little a-hole". Obviously, he is just trying draw attetion to himself, with NO REGARD to consequences - to both the industry and society.

The people behind this are greedy, selfish pricks. I might get flak on this post, put if I had the power to prevent that mod from EVER being launched I FUCKING WOULD.

Sorry about the excessive swearing, but when I read the answers the "developer" gave to The Escapist's question, it made me want to punch him repeatedly.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Tdc2182 said:
dogstile said:
I love how you assume I think i'm being a hero by defending his right not be told that he can't mod a game in his own free time.
- which is about shooting up a school based upon real school shootings that happened.

Kinda forgot a few key words there, didn't you?
Yeah, so?

I fail to realise how this affects the victims of the shootings. I fail to realise how this affects anyone except knee jerk reactionists.

At the moment, this would include you, just so you know. Take a step back and think "Does this actually hurt anyone" then tell me i'm wrong again. Because I doubt anyone directly affected by this will be shown it unless someone links them.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
Laurie Barnes said:
EcoEclipse said:
You forget that the german soldiers in these games can shoot back. The point of WW2 shooters is to go into a warzone and fight for a team. The point of this mod is to go into a peaceful school and murder the students, Slight difference. You really are an interesting example if you honestly can't grasp the difference.
I get the difference. I just don't get why people freak about this, when something that was far more tragic than a school shooting is quite commonplace in this media. Though to be fair, not many WWII-based games have been as realistic as to portray that.

BlackWidower

Nov 16, 2009
I...I want to defend this...but...but I can't figure out how. The libertarian in me thinks that all forms of art should be defended, but this guy is like the Michael Bay of indie video games. He's just in it for fun. Which isn't a bad reason, just the topic he chose to have fun with is the worst possible topic he could have chosen. How about a game where you invade a peaceful alien planet, so there is no reference to an actual atrocity.

He said he was unaffected by Columbine, Virginia Tech and the Haiti Tsunami because he didn't know anyone involved. What about 9/11, I know my heart developed a hairline crack. Not because I knew someone, but because thousands of people died, and I was sad, because I was a human being.

The fun in killing the "innocent" NPCs is the fact that they are incapable of fighting back.
FUCK YOU! Am I the only one who tries to avoid killing unarmed civilians when playing a game? Am I the only one with a conscience?

Perhaps I am not the intended audience for this game. Though I must say, I am tempted to play through it just to see if it's as sick as I think it is.

SonicKoala

The Night Zombie
Sep 8, 2009
Honestly, for the most part, it's hard to argue with his logic - as many people have already pointed out, he certainly has the right to do something like this; however, on the whole, I find it profoundly irresponsible and inconsiderate to design such a mod - yes, there are plenty of video games out there which reward players for depravity far worse than simply shooting things, but I just find it appalling that he would set the game in a high school, with you as the shooter. This is borderline trolling...

Oh, and this:

I think the media tried to cover it in a way that made the events more dramatic than they actually were. Even in my younger age, I saw right through most of it. The way the news victimized the victims and overplayed the evil of the shooters disgusted me more than the actual shootings themselves.
Is disgusting. To imply that the people killed at those massacres were even somewhat deserving of being murdered, or that the shooters were somehow justified in their actions is utter bullshit, and really, after reading that, is it any surprise that such an individual ended up designing this type of game?

TyrantGanado

Oct 21, 2009
His responses make him out to be a clinical sociopath, which he very well may be given his outlook.

I find it weird that I don't actually have anything against this game. Sure it's in bad taste, I can see that, but ultimately what it portrays is, at best, marginally worse than what can be done in current games, the creator's callousness really makes it worse than it is. It's never going to be a smash-hit, it'll cater to a niche crowd of sociopaths and angry teenagers. The anti-gaming media might run a piece on it and try to claim how we all want to play it or something but really, nothing we do's going to shut them up.

Now, I'm off to construct my flame shield. Hopefully it won't need to be used.

Keltrick

Jun 7, 2010
SinisterGehe said:
Lordmarkus said:
His arguments and responses are sound but creating such a mod are just wrong. Horribly wrong.
But he still has the right to do it. You can not deny it. He has right to reflect this subject with hes own mean and has right to publish it. Should we ban people thinking about School violence in internet blocks because they might give someone ideas.

Note: I am not defending the game, I am defending the right to create one.
That's completely right. I agree he has the right to make it 100%, and we as a consumer base have the right to 'punish' that. You can put out an offensive game just like you can put out a cheaply made clothing line. If the shirts I sell fall apart upon washing, then no one will buy my shirts. I'll get 'punished'.

I don't know if they are attempting to make money off this endeavor but the principle still applies. They can make it, and we as the majority can choose not to partake, and reinforce that its not acceptable in modern society.

Keltrick

Jun 7, 2010
Tsunimo said:
Steven Glenn said:
Tsunimo said:
Steven Glenn said:
Tsunimo said:
I probably won't pLay it myself, but only because it does not look all that fun.
He has good points in his responses. I think people should just get over it.
Guess what man, the game is free. Except it's not a game, it's a MOD. It's such a piece of garbage it's not even worth the space it will take on your computer. Educate, research, check it out:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/school-shooter-north-american-tour-2012
You should probably try to realize a spelling error before you start posting crap like this.
So please, feel free to take your head out of your ass anytime you like.
Well aren't you ignorant of the King's? I advise you sir to locate your nearest dictionary and spell-check the alleged words I've misconstrued. Until then, you look like a silly man indeed. On another note, kudos on completely dodging the point of the post by resorting to ticking away at my "language skills;" my skills in language are impeccable though, I might add.

Although YOURS are another discussion indeed. How dare you peck at me for your mistakes. Get out of here Dodger, skit.
I want to post some kind of witty comeback I really do, but I do not understand what furthering this argument would achieve. You attack my lack of response, but to what? Your critique of the game? I do not care about your personal opinions about it. What I take offense over is that you seem to think you are the only one that has read anything about this game. People are not complaining about this game because you shoot actual students, they are complaining because it is an imitation of an tragic event, regardless of character models. Additionally, you seem to think yourself smarter than me because what? I forgot to type 'L' in a word. I suppose I am being contradictory now, and I am indeed furthering the argument at hand, but please, just leave this to die in the forgotten bowls of the internet, as I have more important things to do than argue with a troll. Thanks.
You two probably shouldn't be wasting your time. I get that the internet has its own form of 'fight after 4th period' which involves trying to wield and thesaurus as best you can but in all my years online I've never seen a "WINNER" of these things. Both sides get mad, and try and pretend their calm, cool, and collected. Both don't add anything to the actual topic, since anything useful is buried under attacks.

Can you please take it to a private message at least guys? Please?

Chrinik

May 8, 2008
He does have a point...and I don´t like "The Escapist" titulating him a "sick mind", thats manipulative reporting, and I have enough of that in the mass media, thank you.
If he want´s to make a game about school shootings, let him. Afterall, he has a point: There are more immature, macho kill-fests out there then there are Shadow of the Collossus´ or Ico´s or whatever.
And Call of Duty MW2? It´s just a big, bad macho kill-fest for the "You are the super elite soldier, go save the world with your super kewl weapons!" kind, and IT SELLS LIKE MAD!

subtlefuge

Lord Cromulent
May 21, 2010
I'm trying, but I just can't find a reason why this game existing is wrong. I think that the game has no redeeming qualities, and that everyone has a right to lash out at the highly disturbed developers for creating it, but it is their prerogative.

I think that if they are suspected of making a single penny on this piss poor excuse for a creation, Valve should let loose an apocalyptic fury of hell hounds to crush their sick dreams, rape them of their smug disposition and pride, and take everything they have ever owned. Or just sue their pants off. Either way.

dragonhunter21

Feb 6, 2011
Actually, this gave me an idea. Maybe this could be revamped so you're... I dunno, a cop responding to a shooting-in-progress. That wouldn't be nearly as bad, and could make for an interesting game if handled correctly. (Although it does still give Fox leeway to twist the story...)

Honestly, though, I thought about playing this for about a full second (Out of a sense of novelty, you understand, not a sense of grotesque fascination), but then I realized that 1. Downloading this game would probably put me on so many government watch lists it's not even funny, and 2. it just doesn't sound all that fun or original. If I want carnage, I can boot up Gmod, stick 15 unarmed NPCs in a room and go to town. But I don't, because shooting at things that just run away isn't fun, it's busywork.

M Silverthorn

Nov 9, 2008
Steven Glenn said:
If you read my earlier post, and done your own research, you would know that there is actually zero killing of children. You're killing Half-Life 2 citizen NPC's. This is a political stunt designed to make you angry, and it was poorly executed. The sheer THOUGHT that it's school shooting is what angers you, but in reality the game is HL2 with you allowed to kill Citizen NPC's on a small map, where Metrocops eventually attack you. Stop getting angry and voicing yourself until you have at least investigated the article BEYOND face value.

Scroll up, check my links and sources.
Huh. Well, excuse the hell out of me. You are killing NPCs that are only suggesting the identity of helpless individuals in a school - including children. Still, he has the right to voice himself, so I will as well, and yeah this is very much enough to make me sick and angry that such talent is wasted.

But you know what? I've been truly inspired by this little exchange, and the whole article.

From this day on? Whatever I create - a game, a story, a novel, even a lecture - it won't need to promote wanton destruction and murder. I've been inspired to create greater things, because anything is better than this.