Interest thread ( Sci-fi Survival horror RP )

SeanTheSheep

Jun 23, 2009
Name: Liz Bowes

Role: Junior Communications Officer

Weapon/equipment: Small repair kit bag containing a screwdriver, a soldering iron, solder, a first aid kit capable of treating minor wounds, an anti-static wrist strap, a receipt from HMV for two CDs and a film, and a long range taser pistol with two spare batteries.

Personality (For flavour): Liz is usually cheerful and bubbly when introduced to new people, and tries to make light of even the worst situations. Her chirpy personality can be annoying to some, but she knows when to keep her mouth shut and her head down. If constantly faced with defeatism and pessimistic attitudes, she may become either incredibly irate, or her mood will spiral down into a depressed state. When faced with a problem, Liz will face it calmly and methodically, looking for the solution that takes the least time, and the least effort.

Appearance: Standing at a little under 5' 8", Liz is slightly shorter than average, with wavy, dark brown hair reaching past her shoulders. Liz's uniform is in line with the standard issue for comms officers,[footnote]Unless all uniform is standardized across the ship, deviating where necessary for some professions.[/footnote] dark grey, with lighter sections, and a small, coloured emblem denoting her status. She wears black plimsolls on her feet, and has a small tattoo of a double tribar on her left shoulder.

Bio: Born to a moderately wealthy English couple in 2060, From a young age, Liz had a fascination with her grandparents' old analogue radio, from "Way back when Apple only made computers, over sixty years ago" The radio was still chosen over the toys offered to her by her parents. Most radio stations had stopped broadcasting on AM networks, preferring digital methods in the sixties, but three year old Liz would distract herself for hours twiddling the knob back and forth, listening to the static change as it approached a station and then cycled back to the same static on the other side.

When she was eight, Liz found the radio not functioning, so she grabbed a screwdriver from her father's tool bench, and with a glint in her eye, set about dismantling her radio, carefully laying out each piece, and looking at the larger parts with fascination. It took her several tries, but she managed to successfully reconstruct the radio, and keep it working. From then on, she had an even deeper fascination with radios and other methods of communication, until, after she completed her education, she was approached by [Blank][footnote]Is NASA running this ship? Or a separate country? Or is it a conglomerate entity of various nations? clarification, will result in editing.[/footnote] and offered a position on the Intrepid. Due to her inexperience, she was brought on as what essentially meant a spare comms officer, that would stay in cryo until she was needed to either help the senior comms officer with something that required a second opinion, or the unlikely event that the senior comms officer became incapacitated, and unable to maintain the communications array.

Mere moments after the final message was sent, the comms officer met his demise, and the waking process for Liz began. As the ship scans had reported the senior comms officer had died of violent causes, along with her personal belongings, Liz was issued with a long range taser pistol.

It was done within 24 hours, so I hold true to my promise!
It was posted outside of 24 hours though, because my computer is a pooface.

All is subject to change at the behest of the all-powerful GM, especially the last part of the bio.

Dectomax

Jun 17, 2010
SeanTheSheep said:

Weapon/equipment: Small repair kit bag containing a screwdriver, a soldering iron, solder, a first aid kit capable of treating minor wounds, an anti-static wrist strap, a receipt from HMV for two CDs and a film, and a long range taser pistol with two spare batteries.

Personality (For flavour): Liz is usually cheerful and bubbly when introduced to new people, and tries to make light of even the worst situations. Her chirpy personality can be annoying to some, but she knows when to keep her mouth shut and her head down. If constantly faced with defeatism and pessimistic attitudes, she may become either incredibly irate, or her mood will spiral down into a depressed state. When faced with a problem, Liz will face it calmly and methodically, looking for the solution that takes the least time, and the least effort.

Bio: Born to a moderately wealthy English couple in 2060, From a young age, Liz had a fascination with her grandparents' old analogue radio, from "Way back when Apple only made computers, over sixty years ago" The radio was still chosen over the toys offered to her by her parents. Most radio stations had stopped broadcasting on AM networks, preferring digital methods in the sixties, but three year old Liz would distract herself for hours twiddling the knob back and forth, listening to the static change as it approached a station and then cycled back to the same static on the other side.

When she was eight, Liz found the radio not functioning, so she grabbed a screwdriver from her father's tool bench, and with a glint in her eye, set about dismantling her radio, carefully laying out each piece, and looking at the larger parts with fascination. It took her several tries, but she managed to successfully reconstruct the radio, and keep it working. From then on, she had an even deeper fascination with radios and other methods of communication, until, after she completed her education, she was approached by [Blank][footnote]Is NASA running this ship? Or a separate country? Or is it a conglomerate entity of various nations? clarification, will result in editing.[/footnote] and offered a position on the Intrepid. Due to her inexperience, she was brought on as what essentially meant a spare comms officer, that would stay in cryo until she was needed to either help the senior comms officer with something that required a second opinion, or the unlikely event that the senior comms officer became incapacitated, and unable to maintain the communications array.

Mere moments after the final message was sent, the comms officer met his demise, and the waking process for Liz began. As the ship scans had reported the senior comms officer had died of violent causes, along with her personal belongings, Liz was issued with a long range taser pistol.

All is subject to change at the behest of the all-powerful GM, especially the last part of the bio.
Sounds good! I can see you've put a shit-ton of effort into that! I'll get to writing some of the back story up and then you'll be able to edit accordingly.

Knife-28

Oct 10, 2009
Gah, I find a good RP when I'm going camping in a week for a week.....
I'll be keeping an eye on this one, it shows much promise.

Dectomax

Jun 17, 2010
Knife-28 said:
Gah, I find a good RP when I'm going camping in a week for a week.....
I'll be keeping an eye on this one, it shows much promise.
I'm sure if you wanted to join in, we could find another Cryo storage room in our travels?

Knife-28

Oct 10, 2009
Oh yea, that would be great!

I have to sleep now, (Damn time zones!) but I'll have my sheet up in the morning.

Tips_of_Fingers

Jun 21, 2010
Dectomax said:
Tips_of_Fingers said:
EDIT: Sorry, the quote button didn't take...
Dectomax said:
It'll act like an NPC, and also a way for me to push the story forward...without dropping something on your head and saying "Oh noes, med bay quick!"...haha

Once I see a viable amount of people I will start writing up more back story and other snippets of information for you. I have a little bit at the moment, but if you'd like me to I can expand and actually make a decent job of it!
Well that would be nice lol. I would rather not be participating in a half-arsed RP...I've encountered too many of those lately >.>

Well, if you want to take a look at my first RP, which is still running...(No advertising at all...)
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/362.228938-The-Twisted-Earth-Post-apocalyptic-Role-play-Started-Accepting-sheets-by-PM?page=1

You'll see that when I have time...I can put together a lot of detail and information.:)
I had faith in your ability from your start...Otherwise I wouldn't have offered a sheet. The other RP is well thought out though so that makes me have even more faith in you lol.

SeanTheSheep

Jun 23, 2009
Dectomax said:
SeanTheSheep said:

Sounds good! I can see you've put a shit-ton of effort into that! I'll get to writing some of the back story up and then you'll be able to edit accordingly.
Effort? Surely you jest good sir.

ninja555

Mar 21, 2009
@Dectomax I, unfortunatly, won't be able to join right off the bat or get my sheet in as homework and exams are appraoching and I need all the time I can get. Hopefully I will be able to join later but until then, no hope.

Knife-28

Oct 10, 2009
Ok, here it is;

Name: James Hale
Role: Electrical engineer

Weapon/equipment: A standard issue plasma torch, a Swiss army knife, a Holographic Data Viewer or HDV for short (Basically it?s a wrist mounted equivalent of a laptop). He wears a standard maintenance uniform, with the HMS Intrepid's logo stitched onto his left shoulder.

Appearance: James has short, messy hair that is half way between brown and blond.
He is about average hight and girth. He?s one of those people you would most likely forget if you bumped into him on the street.

Bio: James majored in Electrical engineering at Sydney University and fresh out of uni he volunteered to join the Intrepid. He is the backup electrical engineer, so he is only thawed from cryo in extreme situations or in the event that the main electrical engineer can?t preform his duties.
He reacts badly to conflict, opting to run away from a fight rather than face it.

So, is it acceptable?

SeanTheSheep

Jun 23, 2009
Knife-28 said:
Ok, here it is;

Name: James Hale
Role: Electrical engineer

Weapon/equipment: A standard issue plasma torch, a Swiss army knife, a Holographic Data Viewer or HDV for short (Basically it?s a wrist mounted equivalent of a laptop). He wears a standard maintenance uniform, with the HMS Intrepid's logo stitched onto his left shoulder.

Appearance: James has short, messy hair that is half way between brown and blond.
He is about average hight and girth. He?s one of those people you would most likely forget if you bumped into him on the street.

Bio: James majored in Electrical engineering at Sydney University and fresh out of uni he volunteered to join the Intrepid. He is the backup electrical engineer, so he is only thawed from cryo in extreme situations or in the event that the main electrical engineer can?t preform his duties.
He reacts badly to conflict, opting to run away from a fight rather than face it.

So, is it acceptable?
I'm just some idiot that you can ignore in a heartbeat if you don't want to listen to me, but I'm a massive whore when it comes to detail, so could we possibly have some more in the appearance section or the bio? There's nothing wrong with it, it's just a little lacking in substance
That's just me though, and I have no say in what you do, I'm just some prick with delusions of adeuacy.
I realised myself that I neglected to insert an appearance section, and have done so now.

Dectomax

Jun 17, 2010
Not to alarm you all..but my laptop has meet a bit of a hitch, apparently the processor is like some kind of albino and when under constant heat...dies promptly. So, I'm in the process of trying to get it fixed... Sad times :(

SeanTheSheep

Jun 23, 2009
OK, this is very, very odd.
You know sometimes the escapist eats a post and needs another post to make the original show up again?
It ate the entire thread. The whole thing is gone, just the thread title is left, so I'm posting to see if it comes back.

Also, I has a Beard Badge.

SeanTheSheep

Jun 23, 2009
Tips_of_Fingers said:
SeanTheSheep said:
Also, I has a Beard Badge.
O.O

Where did you get that??? I want one, if only to compliment my real life beard.
It's a search you must undertake on your own. No amount of Google will help you. In fact, Google may harm your chances.
There are three clues I'm permitted to give you, but the second two are a bit muddy ethically.
1) To begin your quest properly, you have to find the original
2) The one in posession of the original is a member of the escapist staff.
3) Said Bearded One is also in the "Tour The Fortress" video of The Escapist Presents.

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
Hmmm, a sci-fi survival horror RP eh? This sounds interesting. If there is still room for another then I'll whip up a char sheets for you to look at.

Aw what the hell, I'm gonna make a character sheet anyway. I'll post it up when I done.

Also just one question before I start thinking things up: When is the RP going to be taking place. Is it before shit goes down on the ship or will it be not long after the bad things start happening?

SeanTheSheep

Jun 23, 2009
Irony said:
Hmmm, a sci-fi survival horror RP eh? This sounds interesting. If there is still room for another then I'll whip up a char sheets for you to look at.

Aw what the hell, I'm gonna make a character sheet anyway. I'll post it up when I done.

Also just one question before I start thinking things up: When is the RP going to be taking place. Is it before shit goes down on the ship or will it be not long after the bad things start happening?
From what I've gathered, after it's all gone to hell and nearly everyone's dead. I assume there'll be more clarification when the extra stuff gets written up.
This is all just my deduction though. Assume nothing I say has any value at all.

Also, this was my Captcha:

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
Okay so got the sheet all done.
Name: Kurt Fellman

Role: Junior Psychologist

Weapon/Equipment: Touchscreen datapad for keeping notes with, telescoping taser baton for defense against those more "upset" patients, and a pen and paper notepad for those times technology can't be relied upon

Appearance: Kurt is nearly 6 foot tall with light brown hair. He has a light build but is not particularly skinny and has started to obtain a slight stomach due to his easy lifestyle. He usually wears semi-formal outfits that project an air of professionalism, while at the same time keeping him approachable. He has a rarely used pair of glasses that he dons when he is reading from far-away or wants to appear more intelligent.

Personality: Kurt generally acts friendly and open towards others. He does more listening then talking and shows an obvious curiosity into people's minds. Despite the fact that he is good at politely listening to others he is still somewhat cool and detached towards others. His interest into others' emotions is purely intellectual and he seeks mainly to understand and manipulate (in a non-malevolent fashion). This attitude tends to drop though when he is in a relaxed and friendly environment, where he shows a normal if somewhat unconsciously know-it-all personality.

Bio: Kurt was brought up in an average middle-class family on Earth. He had very little oddities about his life, going through school as "just another kid" who was never known for anything beyond being somewhat knowledgable. He went through a slightly rebelous phase, where he became interested in politics, but soon grew bored with it overall and found a new interest in the human condition. Majoring in Psychology in college as well as taking several sociology and philosophy classes, Kurt soon became very focused on understanding the deepest parts of the human mind.

When he heard about the HMS Intrepid's planned journey, he immediately saw it as an opportunity for him to study a closed environment of a human society. While initailly the organizers for the launch had little interest in him, as they were looking for a more experienced psychologist rather than a recent graduate, Kurt was able to convince them to let him aboard by stating that they might need a psychologist who would be able to "change" with the whole crew and be without previous attachments. Thus he was allowed into the crew as a junior psychologist to help track the overall mental health of the crew and to assist any of the more senior psychologists.
Just let me know if there are any adjustments I need to make to it.

Also, any projected time for when this RP will start?

SeanTheSheep said:
Also, this was my Captcha:
Wow. I think I got some upside down letters (either that or greek letters) one time, but at least its possible to type those out. I don't even know how yours would work.
As for this one? Nuqtat hartain. So thankfully something I can type out.

Dectomax

Jun 17, 2010
My laptop is dead, waiting for a repair to take place. so, for now, the RP has come to a temporary pause!

Sorry guys!

SeanTheSheep

Jun 23, 2009
Dectomax said:
My laptop is dead, waiting for a repair to take place. so, for now, the RP has come to a temporary pause!

Sorry guys!
When you manage to get your laptop fixed, you might want to drop us all a line so we know so we can get this rolling if you want to.