Internet Explodes Over Origin's Invasion of Privacy

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
And that's why you read the TOS. I don't care how long it is, if it's in there that they can monitor your machine and you mindlessly signed it you deserve the fate you get.

Sgt. Dante

Jul 30, 2008
Drakulea said:
Sgt. Dante said:
That's kinda what i'm getting at, even the bloody EU law regarding privacy and data protection can so simply be overridden cause a company put in the line "cause we said so."

I'm really wavering about this now. Everything I see about BF3 makes for more want, everything I hear makes me not wanna go near it.
Same here.

In fact,I'm not even wavering.

I was really looking forward to playing BF3 together with my clan-mates. But if the price is installing a piece of spyware, then forget it.

I like the Battlefield-style squad-centered multiplayer, I really do. But it's Modern Warfare 3 run-n-gun for me if this doesn't change, at least they don't probe-f*ck my cyber-butt.

Maybe,just maybe, if enough people pile up their discontent EA will take a 2nd look. If not, then I will find other ways to play EA games. Because, really, when faced with this kind of corporate contempt, then the conglomerate in question deserves to have their earnings, shall we say, undercut .

EA doesn't deserve one cent for the kind of police-state crap they're pulling.

EA would still easily make lots of money even without installing spyware on people's systems. They don't really need Origin. But then again, the baron doesn't need to f*ck over his serfs, does he? He does it because he can.

I would love to walk up to the corporate suit that came with this brilliant idea and give him a piece of my mind. And fist.
On that note I would have loved to see the meeting where they discussed the server browser.
EA: "Yeah, so we were thinking about that whole server thing."

Dude:"what about it?"

EA: "Well, what if, instead of random matchmaking we gave the console players a dedicated server browser like on the PC."

Dude:"that's a good idea, that'll make loads of people happy."

EA: "Yeah, now how about we take that functionality away from the PC gamers and instead ask them to close the game, open a browser, log into a website, look through a server list THERE and then re-launch the game from the website. Every time they want to play, NO! one better, every time they want to change server! Brilliant!."

Dude:"Wait, what? That is completely retarded, no one will think that's a good idea, why would we do that?"

EA: "Because fuck you that's why..."

Dude:"well damn."
I do honestly wonder how in hell these people got into a position whereby they get to make these multi-million dollar desicions. It beggers belief.

Drakulea

Feb 23, 2011
Sgt. Dante said:
On that note I would have loved to see the meeting where they discussed the server browser.
EA: "Yeah, so we were thinking about that whole server thing."

Dude:"what about it?"

EA: "Well, what if, instead of random matchmaking we gave the console players a dedicated server browser like on the PC."

Dude:"that's a good idea, that'll make loads of people happy."

EA: "Yeah, now how about we take that functionality away from the PC gamers and instead ask them to close the game, open a browser, log into a website, look through a server list THERE and then re-launch the game from the website. EVERY TIME THEY WANT TO PLAY."

Dude:"Wait, what? That is completely retarded, no one will think that's a good idea, why would we do that?"

EA: "Because fuck you that's why..."

Dude:"well damn."
I do honestly wonder how in hell these people got into a position whereby they get to make these multi-million dollar desicions. It beggers belief.
Wh... WHAT? Server browsing in for console versions but taken away from PC version? Is this a joke?

*checks internet*

No... it's not.

There's a lesson here about how success rots people from the inside. Really, what kind of brain-eating avarice and greed are these EA stooges suffering from?

I mean, Good Lord in Heaven, it's not like EA was in trouble financially up until now. These people would steal candy from a child.

PingoBlack

Searching for common sense ...
Aug 6, 2011
SinisterGehe said:
Ill contact the customer right agency and ask about this, I want to know is this legal in Finland.
It is not, if they go for EA they might force them not to sell any related product in Finland.
The agency cannot change Origin EULA, they can only ban Origin and only in your country.

Only EA can actually change their ways ... and become a shining beacon of corporate ethics ...
* loud crashing sounds *
Excuse me, I have to pick myself from the floor now where I ended up in laughter.

mrF00bar

Mar 17, 2009
bleachigo10 said:
It's almost as if they're trying to get people not to use it, what the hell are they thinking? It seems with every passing day the odds of me buying Battlefield 3 decreases which sucks because I was actually kind of interested in it.
I know what you mean, this is as disappointing to me as Activation dissolving the original COD dev team.

Silenttalker22

Dec 21, 2010
That's what you get for not listening to Foamy!

User Agreement: Foamy the Squirrel [http://youtu.be/5Yd7hawQPpE]

"We are all powerful and own your nipples!"

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
I have contacted Finnish authorities (Customer rights agency and legal department) and this contract is Illegal in Finnish law and can not be enforced in Finland. I am writing official complaint to Finland's customer right protection agency.

They will investigate this contract and the do the act accordingly.

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
PingoBlack said:
SinisterGehe said:
Ill contact the customer right agency and ask about this, I want to know is this legal in Finland.
It is not, if they go for EA they might force them not to sell any related product in Finland.
The agency cannot change Origin EULA, they can only ban Origin and only in your country.

Only EA can actually change their ways ... and become a shining beacon of corporate ethics ...
* loud crashing sounds *
Excuse me, I have to pick myself from the floor now where I ended up in laughter.
SinisterGehe said:
I have contacted Finnish authorities (Customer rights agency and legal department) and this contract is Illegal in Finnish law and can not be enforced in Finland. I am writing official complaint to Finland's customer right protection agency.

According to them, this contract is not binding in Finland. SO when they spy my computer, I can sue them for it! H'ray, I got myself a new hobby!

Drakulea

Feb 23, 2011
SinisterGehe said:
PingoBlack said:
SinisterGehe said:

* loud crashing sounds *
SinisterGehe said:

According to them, this contract is not binding in Finland. SO when they spy my computer, I can sue them for it! H'ray, I got myself a new hobby!
Nice! That's a hobby I can certainly respect :)

PingoBlack

Aug 6, 2011
SinisterGehe said:
So ... Now you just need lawyers that can beat EA lawyers. :( And if you don't wanna get spied upon, you still cannot use it.

Well, hope you go through with official complaint. I'd like to see if they themselves try to ban Origin from Finland, as they should since it breaks the law there ... Or will just leave it to others.

Jun 11, 2008
I would have no problems with this if it was limited to stuff to do with Origin like installation of game and programs that are non origin but start up through the program so basically more in line with how Valve goes about it.

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
PingoBlack said:
SinisterGehe said:
So ... Now you just need lawyers that can beat EA lawyers. :( And if you don't wanna get spied upon, you still cannot use it.

Well, hope you go through with official complaint. I'd like to see if they themselves try to ban Origin from Finland, as they should since it breaks the law there ... Or will just leave it to others.
I do it for a matter or principle. And If I or the Agency sues EA, they have to send a representative to Finland and the court session will be in Finnish and done according to Finnish law. And there is a § in a Finnish law that forbids contracts allowing or demanding actions that are Illegal according to the law.
There is no US law here my darling, we have a common sense here.

Weslebear

Dec 9, 2009
EA already lost my purchase of B3 as soon as it was made Origin only, this has just cemented the fact that I will never buy anything from them again.

hellflame

Nov 9, 2010
SinisterGehe said:
dude.... you're now rich!
also that propably just made my day, if it's illegal in atleast 1 country they'll have to change it! or i will have to move to finland to play bf3.

kebab4you

Jan 3, 2010
SinisterGehe said:

Pretty sure this isn't legal in Sweden/Norway or Denmark either. But just to be sure I will hit up a mail myself, thanks for the idea.

Now when I think about it it would be funny if they can't sell BF3 in the country it was made :)

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
hellflame said:
SinisterGehe said:
dude.... you're now rich!
also that propably just made my day, if it's illegal in atleast 1 country they'll have to change it! or i will have to move to finland to play bf3.
Not really, our legal system also doesn't allow gaining economical benefit by suing someone. Only damages + set amount sum (that is written law) are paid to you, but far as I know the compensation for breaking privacy laws isn't small, but we are not talking about millions of euros here, just mere thousands of euros.

PingoBlack

Aug 6, 2011
SinisterGehe said:
I do it for a matter or principle. And If I or the Agency sues EA, they have to send a representative to Finland and the court session will be in Finnish and done according to Finnish law. And there is a § in a Finnish law that forbids contracts allowing or demanding actions that are Illegal according to the law.
There is no US law here my darling, we have a common sense here.
I live in EU ... but don't share your optimism.
Sure, we have nice laws, but enforcement of them can be ... lacking.

But hope you do go on with official complaint, specially if you have already purchased an Origin product. Agency suing EA would be a powerful thing. For once, bureaucrats would work for us! :D

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
Waaghpowa said:
MercurySteam said:
See, here's why I buy most of my games for my 360. Consoles win again I guess.
Have you bothered to read any of the TOS's for consoles? They basically say that the OS on them is a license, so breaking any of their terms means they can lock you down effectively leaving you with an expensive paper weight (with the PS3 at least). Last I checked, that doesn't happen to PC's. At least with Origin it's an optional piece of software; you have the right to click "I do no agree" and life goes on. What happens if you do that on your Xbox?
Not really. Consoles can be banned from LIVE and accounts can be suspended but I've never heard of a console being 'barred from use' before. As long as you don't drastically mod your console or piss of a lot of people then you should be fine. And you only have to agree to their TOS if you join LIVE anyway which is totally optional (like Origin). Even if consoles could be banned (which they can't) if you make some bad decisions on Steam then your entire library goes bye-bye which isn't better than not being able to access your DLC on LIVE in the event that your account gets banned.