Internet Explodes Over Origin's Invasion of Privacy

AbnormalFetus

Sep 11, 2009
EA has revised the ToS for Origin now. It now more explicit states it's anonymous data (as anonoymous as ip is i guess) collection. They also removed a whole section about monitering the app usage.

NEW
2. Consent to Collection and Use of Data.
EA knows that you care how information about you is collected, used and shared, and we appreciate your trust that we will do so carefully and sensibly. Information about our customers is an important part of our business, and EA would never sell your personally identifiable information to anyone, nor would it ever use spyware or install spyware on users? machines. We and agents acting on our behalf do not share information that personally identifies you without your consent, except in rare instances where disclosure is required by law or to enforce EA?s legal rights.
In addition to information that you give EA directly, EA collects non- personally identifiable (or anonymous) information for purposes of improving our products and services, providing services to you, facilitating the provision of software updates, dynamically served content and product support as well as communicating with you. The non-personally identifiable information that EA collects includes technical and related information that identifies your computer (including the Internet Protocol Address) and operating system, as well as information about your Application usage (including but not limited to successful installation and/or removal), software, software usage and peripheral hardware. As noted above, this information is gathered periodically for purposes such as improving our products and services, troubleshooting bugs, and otherwise enhancing your user experience.
This and all other data provided to EA and/or collected by EA in connection with your installation and use of this Application is collected, used, stored and transmitted in accordance with EA?s Privacy Policy located at www.ea.com. To the extent that anything in this section conflicts or is inconsistent with the terms of EA?s Privacy Policy, the terms of the Privacy Policy shall control.
OLD

You agree that EA may collect, use, store and transmit technical and related information that identifies your computer (including the Internet Protocol Address), operating system, Application usage (including but not limited to successful installation and/or removal), software, software usage and peripheral hardware, that may be gathered periodically to facilitate the provision of software updates, dynamically served content, product support and other services to you, including online services. EA may also use this information combined with personal information for marketing purposes and to improve our products and services. We may also share that data with our third party service providers in a form that does not personally identify you. IF YOU DO NOT WANT EA TO COLLECT, USE, STORE, TRANSMIT OR DISPLAY THE DATA DESCRIBED IN THIS SECTION, PLEASE DO NOT INSTALL OR USE THE APPLICATION. This and all other data provided to EA and/or collected by EA in connection with your installation and use of this Application is collected, used, stored and transmitted in accordance with EA's Privacy Policy located at www.ea.com. To the extent that anything in this section conflicts with the terms of EA's Privacy Policy, the terms of the Privacy Policy shall control.

The Virgo

Jul 21, 2011
AbnormalFetus said:
EA has revised the ToS for Origin now. It now more explicit states it's anonymous data (as anonoymous as ip is i guess) collection. They also removed a whole section about monitering the app usage.

NEW
EA knows that you care how information about you is collected, used and shared, and we appreciate your trust that we will do so carefully and sensibly. Information about our customers is an important part of our business, and EA would never sell your personally identifiable information to anyone, nor would it ever use spyware or install spyware on users? machines. We and agents acting on our behalf do not share information that personally identifies you without your consent, except in rare instances where disclosure is required by law or to enforce EA?s legal rights.
In addition to information that you give EA directly, EA collects non- personally identifiable (or anonymous) information for purposes of improving our products and services, providing services to you, facilitating the provision of software updates, dynamically served content and product support as well as communicating with you. The non-personally identifiable information that EA collects includes technical and related information that identifies your computer (including the Internet Protocol Address) and operating system, as well as information about your Application usage (including but not limited to successful installation and/or removal), software, software usage and peripheral hardware. As noted above, this information is gathered periodically for purposes such as improving our products and services, troubleshooting bugs, and otherwise enhancing your user experience.
This and all other data provided to EA and/or collected by EA in connection with your installation and use of this Application is collected, used, stored and transmitted in accordance with EA?s Privacy Policy located at www.ea.com. To the extent that anything in this section conflicts or is inconsistent with the terms of EA?s Privacy Policy, the terms of the Privacy Policy shall control.
OLD

You agree that EA may collect, use, store and transmit technical and related information that identifies your computer (including the Internet Protocol Address), operating system, Application usage (including but not limited to successful installation and/or removal), software, software usage and peripheral hardware, that may be gathered periodically to facilitate the provision of software updates, dynamically served content, product support and other services to you, including online services. EA may also use this information combined with personal information for marketing purposes and to improve our products and services. We may also share that data with our third party service providers in a form that does not personally identify you. IF YOU DO NOT WANT EA TO COLLECT, USE, STORE, TRANSMIT OR DISPLAY THE DATA DESCRIBED IN THIS SECTION, PLEASE DO NOT INSTALL OR USE THE APPLICATION. This and all other data provided to EA and/or collected by EA in connection with your installation and use of this Application is collected, used, stored and transmitted in accordance with EA's Privacy Policy located at www.ea.com. To the extent that anything in this section conflicts with the terms of EA's Privacy Policy, the terms of the Privacy Policy shall control.
I love how they added "EA knows that you care how information about you is collected, used and shared, and we appreciate your trust that we will do so carefully and sensibly." The original is very lawyer-like and serious, while the new version has a much nicer sound to it. You can almost hear the CEO, worried about his job and the finance of the company, saying it in a very soothing, reassuring voice.

This just goes to show ya that if enough people say, "Fuck you, if that's they way you want to play, I won't buy any of your shit!", they can win against the corporate giants.

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
The Virgo said:
AbnormalFetus said:

NEW
OLD

I love how they added "EA knows that you care how information about you is collected, used and shared, and we appreciate your trust that we will do so carefully and sensibly." The original is very lawyer-like and serious, while the new version has a much nicer sound to it. You can almost hear the CEO, worried about his job and the finance of the company, saying it in a very soothing, reassuring voice.

This just goes to show ya that if enough people say, "Fuck you, if that's they way you want to play, I won't buy any of your shit!", they can win against the corporate giants.
...am I missing something, I'm still pretty sure I see the part about monitoring app and software usage in there. That's the deal killer for me, not so interested in EA having records of what I have installed, what I install and uninstall, and how often I use software.

PingoBlack

Searching for common sense ...
Aug 6, 2011
tangoprime said:
...am I missing something, I'm still pretty sure I see the part about monitoring app and software usage in there. That's the deal killer for me, not so interested in EA having records of what I have installed, what I install and uninstall, and how often I use software.
Aye. I saw this posted a couple of times now.

There is no difference, they just removed the caps font warning you to not install unless you opt in. The right to monitor all application and hardware is still there.

Both EULA said:
... as well as information about your Application usage (including but not limited to successful installation and/or removal), software, software usage and peripheral hardware.
What new one is missing tho is this:

Old EULA said:
IF YOU DO NOT WANT EA TO COLLECT, USE, STORE, TRANSMIT OR DISPLAY THE DATA DESCRIBED IN THIS SECTION, PLEASE DO NOT INSTALL OR USE THE APPLICATION.
So in my opinion, this is more unclear while not removing any of the problematic "we can look at everything on your system" paragraph. They just made opt-in even less obvious.

Now you can see: Their lawyers are both good and well aware of what they are doing, but now they are making it even more muddled and harder to see what they are asking of you in EULA.

Still no explicit opt in as an option, even harder to see opt-in is assumed at install now. Still no limiting the data collection to Origin and EA software only.

P.S.: I love this line from new EULA:

EULA said:
The non-personally identifiable information that EA collects includes technical and related information that identifies your computer ...
So ... does this even make sense? It's anonymous as far as the users name, but they will identify your computer? How does that still keep anonymity intact? Most people do not own multiple IP addresses and computers ... Usually they own one.

Still Life

Sep 22, 2010
maninahat said:
They not interested in taking your freedoms, they just want your money!
It's interesting that you juxtapose 'freedom' and 'money' in this statement, given the context.

You can create a rather persuasive argument countering that in the market driven, globally networked societies we are living in, freedom of the individual is directly proportional to the amount of money one has at their disposal.

Nesco Nomen

Apr 13, 2010
Zefar said:
Lol at people going nuts over this. Like come on people, do you really see EA going.

"Lets share what Timmy is doing"
or

"Oh Steve has been quite naughty, lets show the world what he has on his PC"

They will not do a single thing with your information that will harm their PR.

The thread is up in 19 pages and people are like STILL freaking out about it. On Steam forums we only had a handful of small threads when people finally got around and used common sense to think a bit.

But reading about all of you super paranoid users thinking EA will do something so EVIL with your information gives me a huge laugh. Thanks guys and keep it up.

Hopefully we won't see such display of intelligence in game in BF3 as that would quite a bad sight.

When all this blows over and when EA finally gives in and kills it's privacy intruding EULA, think about how you were part of the problem.

You wanted to play this game sooo badly... so badly that you were defending on the Internet right of multi-billion dollar company on a free data mining.

Or you were deluding yourself and the rest of us with the idea EA won't use it's spying privileges.

bootz

Feb 28, 2011
CGAdam said:
Imp Emissary said:
Pandalink said:
Imp Emissary said:
CGAdam said:
Another reason to stick to consoles, I guess.
Actually, you would still need an Origin account to play online.
How so? Origin has nothing to do with consoles.
I can't completely explain it, but I can think of one example to compare it to.

In Dragon Age Origins(o_O...Hmmmm...origins, and now origin...) you made an account with Bioware and every time you went online the game connected to your account, and kept track of what you did in game and you got some extra stuff in Dragon Age 2 for having an account.

Also, in Metal Gear Solid 4 you had to set up an account with their website to play their online mode. So it would be similar to that. You try to go online to play, and it will ask you to sign in or make an account, and if you don't you can't play.

EA is really playing hard ball here.
Or in short, they're being real dicks.
Straight from EAs EULA

You might have to set up an account, but there's no software to install on the your PC, where all your private data is stored. There's also (probably) no real need to even use your real email address for it if you didn't want to. Am I missing something?
Application Communications and Conduct/Privacy Settings
The Application includes social and other online features. Note that certain of
these features are not made available to users under the minimum age in their
respective jurisdictions. To the extent applicable, your use of online features
available via the Application is governed by EAfs Terms of Service, available at
www.ea.com. By installing and using this Application you acknowledge and
agree that you will abide by EAfs Terms of Service and otherwise agree not to:
? Create a false identity for purposes of misleading others;
? Defame, abuse, harass, threaten, spam, violate the rights of others and/or
otherwise interfere with othersf use and enjoyment of the Application;
? Publish, transfer or distribute any inappropriate, indecent, obscene, foul or
unlawful conduct;
? Transfer, stream or otherwise make available material that contains viruses,
Trojan horses, worms, time bombs, cancel bots, corrupted files or any other
similar material that may damage the computer or other property of another user;
? Use any portion of the Application to harvest or collect information about
others, including but not limited to email address.

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
AbnormalFetus said:
-snip-
Good that they have registered that people are not happy, but this change is not enough. Data collection should be optional like it is on Steam.

So still no BF3 pre-order from me. Will keep waiting to see if they change their terms again.

Sarah Frazier

Dec 7, 2010
The Virgo said:
AbnormalFetus said:

NEW
OLD

But there's still no mention of whether you can opt in/out when they want to collect info, and still not a lot of clarification on just what software they're looking for and what they mean by "usage". How often it's used? How long it's used? What the software is used for? The new version is much better, but just like anything written by lawyers it still leaves a few blind spots.

And don't forget they're still storing this info, which is begging to get hacked and abused by people who can be trusted even less than lawyers.

Zefar

May 11, 2009
Nesco Nomen said:
When all this blows over and when EA finally gives in and kills it's privacy intruding EULA, think about how you were part of the problem.

You wanted to play this game sooo badly... so badly that you were defending on the Internet right of multi-billion dollar company on a free data mining.

Or you were deluding yourself and the rest of us with the idea EA won't use it's spying privileges.
Man the craziness in that post goes off the chart. Do you REALLY think EA will be spying on you and all the MILLION others and then spread the information to third parties? Oh wait you actually DO. Good lord man, get a grip on reality.

This is by far the most ridiculous conspiracy theory out there.

What could EA possible do with your random information? Nothing and no one would want to buy it either as it would be bad PR.

ph0b0s123 said:
The difference with steam is you have the choice as far as whether this info gets collected, as you cannot decline or accept surveys. With EA you have no choice.

For the moment I will not use anything origin related, which is a shame as I wanted to pre-order BF3 and get the free game. If EA update the TOS to make the info collection optional, then no probs I am back in again. So there you go no freaking out just voting with my wallet behaviour I do not find acceptable.
http://www.valvesoftware.com/privacy.html
And read this part.
Collection and Use of Information
By using Valve's online sites and products, users agree that Valve may collect aggregate information, individual information, and personally identifiable information, as defined below. Valve may share aggregate information and individual information with other parties. Valve shall not share personally identifiable information with other parties, except as described in the policy below.
They can do the EXACT SAME THING. It's just the Hardware survey that you can opt into but the rest is collected in the same way.

You guys are freaking out about something most download managers can do and are doing.

Do you guys want tinfoil hats with that as well for the reptile aliens who try to scan your mind?

ph0b0s123

Jul 7, 2010
Zefar said:
Nesco Nomen said:
They can do the EXACT SAME THING. It's just the Hardware survey that you can opt into but the rest is collected in the same way.

You guys are freaking out about something most download managers can do and are doing.

Do you guys want tinfoil hats with that as well for the reptile aliens who try to scan your mind?
"They can do the EXACT SAME THING. It's just the Hardware survey that you can opt into but the rest is collected in the same way."

Hardware and software survey is optional you mean. Where as with EA none of it is optional. That's the big difference that seems to escape you.

satsugaikaze

Feb 26, 2011
It's also important to note that they hardly changed anything in the clause. Rather, they added things to explain to the not-so-bright readers (who don't seem to be capable of thinking further than anything another person feeds them) that they're not out to personally abuse your privacy rights.

Then again, there's only a handful of people who actually seem to be giving this any more thought past "Fuck EA". Sad, really. And I wonder about the proportion of people in this thread who might have actually read all of the (revised) Terms of Service from both Origin and EA.com.

Al Coholic

Aug 27, 2011
Hey everyone, we here at EA understand your concern about this serious issue, and just wanted to give an official statement about it to help ease your minds:

SURPRISE!!!

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
satsugaikaze said:
It's also important to note that they hardly changed anything in the clause.
The two major points of contention I had with the contract are in both the Old and New versions.

Then again, there's only a handful of people who actually seem to be giving this any more thought past "Fuck EA".
Well, that's the extend of "negotiation" EA gives their customers: "Take it or leave it."

They aren't addressing the real problems here because the problems EA is creating are that important to their core business plans.
No, they're just dressing up the problems in nicer-sounding text.

OT: So lets sort this shit out a bit.

Origin EULA (revised) said:
Information about our customers is an important part of our business, and EA would never sell your personally identifiable information to anyone, nor would it ever use spyware or install spyware on users' machines.
Ok EA, explain how you intend to accomplish this when you later claim:

Origin EULA (revised) said:
The non-personally identifiable information that EA collects includes technical and related information that identifies your computer (including the Internet Protocol Address) and operating system, as well as information about your Application usage (including but not limited to successful installation and/or removal), software, software usage and peripheral hardware.
How do you plan on collecting that information without installing an application that scans the user's hard drive? Through magic? Are you going to give us a questionnaire every time we launch your program?
EA's only genuine technical option is a rootkit that scans the Windows Registry periodically and sends the results back to its creator (where the Install/Uninstall reference data is kept), which as I recall IS THE DEFINITION OF SPYWARE.

See, lots of applications and software *use* the registry, but most of them do not *scan* the registry. It's like a storage warehouse: There's a big difference between renting out one compartment and looking through everyone else's compartments.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
shadow741 said:
Guys, its only getting info for BF3, so calm the fuck down.
Oh don't worry, I'll be calm. When EA changes the terms of service agreement on you without mentioning it. Or when your personal info just happens to appear in the hands of an advertiser. Believe me I'll be calm. You however won't be.

shadow741

Oct 28, 2009
Antari said:
shadow741 said:
Guys, its only getting info for BF3, so calm the fuck down.
Oh don't worry, I'll be calm. When EA changes the terms of service agreement on you without mentioning it. Or when your personal info just happens to appear in the hands of an advertiser. Believe me I'll be calm. You however won't be.
I'm not even going to be using Origin for the PC, I'm getting their games for the consoles
Captcha: Prozac pleas, lolwut.