Invisible Tank Appears at London Arms Fair

Rainforce

Apr 20, 2009
rembrandtqeinstein said:
theheroofaction said:
But you know what this thing doesn't work against? regular vision.
You know what works against regular vision? Night(tm)[footnote]I couldn't figure out how to make a trademark symbol[/footnote]
ALT+0153 ? :D
[aw. doesn't show up properly for me D: EDIT: only in the preview, weird]
also nice tank, now we just need invisibility for the HUMAN eye.

botobeno

Jan 20, 2010
Nobody in the 'but you can still see it' comments considered that a lot of anti-armour weaponry is heatseeking? Or that the 'primitive' enemy is stocking up on nightvision equipment? http://www.usatoday.com/news/military/2008-05-14-nightinside_N.htm
That article coincidently also mentions that the 'advanced' armies like to fight when they got the advantage, such as at night, when they can use their night vision and thermal goggles?

I dont think they got laser guided missles, so my guess is most of their missles are heatseeking. If it works on helicopters and airplanes too then it's a potential godmode. Who gives a hoot that they can see the tank if they dont have anything that has a decent chance of hitting it without them having to get expose themselves? It's a big hunk of metal riding around at a topspeed nearly 50 km/hour offroad. It's not exactly stealthy. It has all sorts of fancy stuff so forget about getting up close to it. And with this stuff, hitting it from a safe distance becomes more difficult. It's a nice invention untill someone comes up with a sort of magnetic metal seeking missile. Or they get their hands on laserguided stuff.

Fujor

Dec 30, 2010
this technology is designed for about 10-15 years in the future. and it's clearly for open tank warfare.

as this is BAE this is open to any adequate bidder so expect a few nations to follow this up.

also see the Taranis for some more nifty BAE work. These prototypes are basically first optioned to the uk for research. things take ages to be first operational and can last ages. see the Tornado as a prime example .

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
w9496 said:
Wouldn't it be in trouble if anybody saw it though? People's eyes don't have thermal imaging, so 1 guy could see it, and call in an airstrike or something.
It's pretty good defense at night vs. airstrikes. As a matter of fact, if I had a unit of these, I'd never use them any other time than at night.

I also see an application for mobile artillery camo against airstrikes. Every development has a niche it can fill.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Get the invisible aircraft working and soon we'll be able to give Wonder Woman her plane whenever she shows up.

Simalacrum said:
But... wait, we never really take on anyone with any large amount of high-tech equipment? Since this is invisible only to such things like heat sensors and other such devices that any of our enemies could never hope to afford, doesn't this make this particular gadget rather redundant? Who the hell are we meant to employ it against?
Aliens without heatseeking devices!

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Hevva said:
The tank hides using BAE's Adaptiv technology, which is based around a skin of hexagonal panels that can each change temperature at a rapid pace. The flexibility of these panels means that they can quickly adjust their temperature to that of their surroundings, rendering them invisible to infrared and thermal imaging sights.
The panels change temperature while emitting IR radiation. They are fairly convinced it wouldn't be difficult to switch the frequency into visible light ranges which would make it pretty close to an actual cloak.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Will the Great said:
Hevva said:
Also they could save actual lives, which is cooler than impersonating sci-fi.
I find this statement to be very naive. Weapons don't save lives.

Just sayin'.
But, but will the great, its not a weapon!

Its camouflage that they demonstrated on a weapon! That's totally di

Nah, you're right, that irked me too.

floppylobster

Oct 22, 2008
Will the Great said:
Hevva said:
Also they could save actual lives, which is cooler than impersonating sci-fi.
I find this statement to be very naive. Weapons don't save lives.

Just sayin'.
Totally agree. I mean what does this actual sentence mean? It's like 'save the whales'. Do tanks need saving too?

They could save actual lives of the people going out to kill actual lives. In a tank.

What is cool about sneaking up on someone in a tank and blowing them to pieces? - Don't answer that. This is about as cool as landmines.

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
Jakub324 said:
Dear Santa...
Seriously, that's pretty fucking impressive. If the Taliban used night-vision, we'd have them beat within a month.
Wait. If it can change temperature, surely it'd be only useful for infra-red?

I thought night vision just amplifies the amount of light?

AM City Watch

Nov 10, 2010
Because large-scale tank battles are a major part of warfare in the modern world, making this a groundbreaking new development.

Wait, I just remembered, we mostly fight shepherds armed with small arms and goats these days, making this another unnecessary piece of military largesse. And I thought the rail gun the navy was developing was stupid...

Cold War's been over for a while now, guys. Could we stop trying to fight it, please?

BlackWidower

Nov 16, 2009
Interesting. Now call me when they actually build an invisible tank. That's not invisible, invisible is when you can't see it with the naked eye.