Iran Sentences Game Developer To Death

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
After actually reading the report I can say I'm not as hostile against the court who made this decision as I'd have assumed.

Don't get me wrong- sentencing someone to death over a matter of propaganda spreading is stupid and vile, but that's out cultural outlook talking. In Iran that's sadly not such an absurd direction to go in.
However I can see why anyone would be pissed off at an occupying national power trying to spread anti-You propaganda through the popular media with movies and games. Especially if (like the report says) one such example involves sabotaging illegal nuclear weaponry that the country apparently never had anyway.

America learns that some countries will actually react very harshly to their bullshit, and men like this will be the ones suffering for it.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
vansau said:
Now, it's going to execute a man because he made videogames.
Where do you get that idea?
If you'd source your news better you'd know he was in the US army and is slated to be executed not for anything game related, but because the Iranians claim he was paid by the CIA to infiltrate their Intelligence agency, and then after three weeks report information for money.
Now if that is true we can't assert (nor if that's false), but what it *does* tell us is that the guy was charged with -and convicted for- infiltration and attempting to sell important Intelligence data to an arch enemy.

Video games don't factor into this at all, unless you need to write some news for a videogame website and discover this seemingly random fact afterwards... then make a baseless assumption to make these two facts somehow combine into something spectacular to report.

Danceofmasks

Jul 16, 2010
Sarge034 said:
Danceofmasks said:
Sarge034 said:
Worst case scenario- Iran kills him, US declares war, Iran unveils nuclear weapons, begins Cold War part 2 (except Iranian leaders are bat shit crazy and will launch), US either stands down and emboldens Iran or calls the bluff and....
Huh.
Are you serious?

Obviously your opinion of SOPA is completely worthless if you think that is even a possibility.
I'm confused, did you quote the wrong part of my post? This is the section where I say what the worst case scenario for the world is. Or are you implying that SOPA is worse than a nuclear war?

Also I would just like to point out that my opinion of SOPA is worth just as much, or more, than yours is. I only say "or more" because I don't know if you are in the US and have voting rights or not. However, I know I am in the US and I do have voting rights. Both of those things makes my opinion pretty important.
I know exactly what I'm doing.
Your "worst case scenario" is an impossibility, since it's quite clear at this point the US would be less than keen to start another war over casualties in the thousands.
Declaring war over one person?! Even thinking that is possible causes me to be dubious about your intellectual capabilities.
All right, maybe if it's a football player or somesuch, that would be a remote possibility.

Let me explain SOPA to you.
The only thing that bill does is allow entire sites to be taken down without repercussion.
If it allows reasonable or measured responses it would be due to the possibility of this threat of takedown.

Not only that, it clearly does not understand how the internet functions.
What does 10 performances mean in terms of youtube or twitch.tv? Is that 10 distinct views? Is that 10 links to one video from different sources? Is that 10 parts of a let's play?
What is $2,500 retail value?! You can't sell most of that content in a retail store, but clearly youtube channels can earn much more than $2,500 in a 6 month period.

How then does the entire process work?
Someone posts videos to youtube.
Youtube is an automated system. Automated. There are simply too many videos for real people to sit there and check anything.
So, all it would take is someone to claim their copyright is being infringed.
By default, because the system is automated, they would have to shut down that account in response to every single claim, because if they don't do so within a 5 day period, youtube becomes IP BLOCKED to the entire country.

Now, explain to me how else this bill can possibly function?

ShaneGunWolf

Jul 6, 2011
I honestly don't know what to say. I'm not surprised, but I AM a little angry. The fact that the guy's ex-USMC might be a factor.

Two thumbs down for Iran.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
It's a damn shame. It's getting harder to tell people their government and the majority of their citizens are no the US's enemies. It's terrible that if this persists the majority of their people are going to get sucked deeper into war (whether they belong there or not).

Also, stop with all the "oh the humanity" drama on this thread. I hate to point this out, but the vast majority of people who have existed have not had any vested interest at all in war. You should claim large over reaching governments for doing it, not the "horrible" humans. Also, if I see one more person talk about how bad people are and then use the identifiers "our, we, or us" one more time, I'm gonna scream. Get over your drama.

Edit: I have a joke about the CIA. How do you know the CIA wasn't involved in the Kennedy assassination? Well, he's dead, isn't he? LOLZ.

KingHodor

Aug 30, 2011
Varrdy said:
This reminds me of when Iran snatched thos British sailors. They were eventually released and were shown on TV smiling and greeting their leader (I can't be arsed to try and spell it) while shaking hands.

You just KNEW there was a sniper or other gunman nearby to make sure they all smiled and made Iran look lovely and magnanimous and if they didn't, goodnight Vienna.
I don't think a country that has historically been the go-to guy for Middle Eastern dictatorships wishing to obtain high-quality Western weaponry would be high up on the list of potential targets for an Iranian nuke.

Edit: Oh, ok, "goodnight Vienna" is apparently a British expression meaning "it's all over."

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
Danceofmasks said:
I know exactly what I'm doing.
Your "worst case scenario" is an impossibility, since it's quite clear at this point the US would be less than keen to start another war over casualties in the thousands.
Declaring war over one person?! Even thinking that is possible causes me to be dubious about your intellectual capabilities.
All right, maybe if it's a football player or somesuch, that would be a remote possibility.

Let me explain SOPA to you.
The only thing that bill does is allow entire sites to be taken down without repercussion.
If it allows reasonable or measured responses it would be due to the possibility of this threat of takedown.

Not only that, it clearly does not understand how the internet functions.
What does 10 performances mean in terms of youtube or twitch.tv? Is that 10 distinct views? Is that 10 links to one video from different sources? Is that 10 parts of a let's play?
What is $2,500 retail value?! You can't sell most of that content in a retail store, but clearly youtube channels can earn much more than $2,500 in a 6 month period.

How then does the entire process work?
Someone posts videos to youtube.
Youtube is an automated system. Automated. There are simply too many videos for real people to sit there and check anything.
So, all it would take is someone to claim their copyright is being infringed.
By default, because the system is automated, they would have to shut down that account in response to every single claim, because if they don't do so within a 5 day period, youtube becomes IP BLOCKED to the entire country.

Now, explain to me how else this bill can possibly function?
That's the funny thing about the "worst case scenario". It is supposed to represent the "perfect storm". It does not matter if it is plausible of not, only that it is the worst posible outcome to the situation. I don't know about you, but nuclear war is pretty high on my "we're boned" meater.

As for SOPA.

What the bill says is that upon obtaining evidence that a site is misusing copyrighted information the Attorney General will file a motion with the court. This is very much like filing for a search warrant in that there must be sufficient proof for the order to be passed. Once passed the site will be required to block all accesses to US users. The site will then have five days to correct the situation. If they remove the content they can allow US users back on the site but they may still be penalized for copyright infringement. If they do not remove the content but do not allow US users on the site then they will be charged with copyright infringement. If they do not remove the content and allow US users accesses to the site then they will be charged with copyright infringement and failure to follow the cease and desist order as well as getting perma-blocked. http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c112:H.R.3261:

During these five days all payment and advertising firms must pull their services if they are based in the US or not provide their services to US users if they are foreign companies.

The one issue I have is that it grants the right to INDIVIDUAL SERVICE PROVIDERS to shut down sites on their own. This is important companies, not the government, can shut down sites without the court's permission. This is the part I take issue with.

This was a very condensed summary. Click the link and read the whole thing if you want the real story. Did you know that Google was involved in an incident where it had to pay something like $500 MILLIOM because it was running an ad for illegal pharmacy meds. This is one of the things this bill makes it easier to convict sites of. I wonder why Google is against it?

RebelRising

Jan 5, 2008
Kenjitsuka said:
vansau said:
Now, it's going to execute a man because he made videogames.
Where do you get that idea?
If you'd source your news better you'd know he was in the US army and is slated to be executed not for anything game related, but because the Iranians claim he was paid by the CIA to infiltrate their Intelligence agency, and then after three weeks report information for money.
Now if that is true we can't assert (nor if that's false), but what it *does* tell us is that the guy was charged with -and convicted for- infiltration and attempting to sell important Intelligence data to an arch enemy.

Video games don't factor into this at all, unless you need to write some news for a videogame website and discover this seemingly random fact afterwards... then make a baseless assumption to make these two facts somehow combine into something spectacular to report.
THANK YOU!

I would have hoped that this site would restrict itself to what it knows---that is, videogames. Sadly, however, it would appear that they are not above mimickiung the mainstream media's proclivity for hijacking a non-sequiter or red herring and using that as the main lede into coverage of an issue that calls for much less kneejerk howls for bombing each other.

So what if they criminalize homosexuality? The West can't just wish the rest of world to be as enlightened as they are overnight, at the drop of a hat. Furthermore, it has no bearing on matters of intelligence, which this clearly is; this is not the first time a CIA ring has been busted within their borders.

It's perfectly reasonable to morally object to this sentence (which the Iranians will, in all likelihood, mitigate in the future), but to extrapolate that into a generalized judgment on the Iranian government, its policies, and its people as a whole is just wildly irresponsible. It's the kind of mindset that rationalizes war (which, in this case, would be a regional and humanitarian crisis far beyond Iraq).

Clearly, we can support Saddam against Iran (with chemical weapons no less); we can talk openly of bombing their nuclear facilities; we can hold Iran to a nuclear double standard from which Israel is exempt; we can wage cyberwarfare against them; we can assassinate their scientists within their borders; we can supplement its regional rivals with advanced weaponry; we can direct CIA activity within their borders; we can talk of "regime change" in its regional ally Syria (and perhaps already be covertly actuating that); we can make common cause with a terrorist group that still operates against the iranian regime; we can fly drones in their airspace we can rebuff every single gesture of negotiation or goodwill or posture simply that it is insufficient.

Not a peep.

But Iran can't wipe its metaphorical ass without the New York Times, Fox News, and the Washington Post (not to mention our policymakers) speculating on its aggressive/expansionist/genocidal tendencies.

Greenwald explains it better than anyone else I know of:
http://www.salon.com/2011/12/04/george_orwell_on_the_evil_iranians/singleton/
http://www.salon.com/2011/11/22/the_media_and_iran_familiar_mindlessness/singleton/
http://www.salon.com/2011/10/13/the_la_times_notices_the_double_standard_on_iran/singleton/

P.S. Sorry for the rant; I kind of went off on a tangent. I just had to get it out, because I've been following this for a long time, and the rampant jingoism infuriates me to no end.

Danceofmasks

Jul 16, 2010
Sarge034 said:
That's the funny thing about the "worst case scenario". It is supposed to represent the "perfect storm". It does not matter if it is plausible of not, only that it is the worst posible outcome to the situation. I don't know about you, but nuclear war is pretty high on my "we're boned" meater.
Well, nuclear war is one of the best things that could possibly happen.
See, the biggest threat to the planet, and all life on it, are the crap humans can do, right?
Well, there are theoretical inventions, such as self replicating nanites, that if unleashed in weapon format, will guarantee extinction of all life as we know it.

Nuclear war, in contrast, will devastate mostly human populations, and even if sufficient nukes were simultaneously launched to cause a nuclear winter, it will not cause the extinction of all life.

Therefore, if it comes down to a choice between nanobot war, and actively and deliberately causing an all out nuclear war in order to prevent further technological advancements if there comes a time where humans are still proven to be idiotic when it comes to weaponisation of everything we invent, then nuking everyone is the noble and right thing to do.

Edit: I typed nuclear instead of nanobot

deathninja

Dec 19, 2008
Woodsey said:
What a bunch of cunts.
All the debate and opinion in the rest of the thread aside, it all boils down to this.

It's brinkmanship, pure and simple. Between this, uranium enrichment and the Straits of Hormuz either someone (Israel most likely) will snap or Ahmadinejad will know he can get away with being a prick.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
Danceofmasks said:
Sarge034 said:
Well, nuclear war is one of the best things that could possibly happen.
See, the biggest threat to the planet, and all life on it, are the crap humans can do, right?
Well, there are theoretical inventions, such as self replicating nanites, that if unleashed in weapon format, will guarantee extinction of all life as we know it.

Nuclear war, in contrast, will devastate mostly human populations, and even if sufficient nukes were simultaneously launched to cause a nuclear winter, it will not cause the extinction of all life.

Therefore, if it comes down to a choice between nanobot war, and actively and deliberately causing an all out nuclear war in order to prevent further technological advancements if there comes a time where humans are still proven to be idiotic when it comes to weaponisation of everything we invent, then nuking everyone is the noble and right thing to do.

Edit: I typed nuclear instead of nanobot
So if you want to limit further technological development why are you not in favor of SOPA? There are many who feel it will do just that. And the further loss of money to independent inteties will stagnate our society causing us to loose tech footing and slip backwards into the dark ages. Parish the thought.

ActionDan

Jun 29, 2009
vansau said:
"The goal of the company in question was to convince the people of Iran and the people of the entire world that whatever the U.S. does in other countries is a good measure."
Well this makes it sound like the U.S. is trying to take over the world, and using videogames as some form of subliminal messaging/hypnosis.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
DVS BSTrD said:
Did that fiasco with the hikers teach people ANYTHING? I don't care if your Grandma in Tehran is on dialysis: If you are american and you like having your head on your shoulders, STAY THE FUCK OUT OF IRAN!
Or the near vicinity, JUST IN CASE.

SilentHunter7

Nov 21, 2007
Razada said:
It is truly amusing to hear the statements being made by those who live in the "Land of the free, Home of the civil rights abuses" (Or did I get that wrong?). We are so quick to condemn the actions of the Iranians.

Yes, killing him is a bit too far. But deporting him would be well within their rights. Looking at this guys development history it is no wonder that the Iranians do not like him.

Oh well.

I have already said as much, restating this is like pissing into the wind. The minds of the collective mass have been made.

Just saying, how exactly would America react to the opportunity to arrest any of the people who made "Special Force" (It was made by Hezbollah and depicts acts of violence towards Israel). If I made a game about blowing up Americans and sabotaging America do you really think I would be allowed to get away with it?

Well, probably, I mean I am white and a British Citizen.

But my case rests. If the tables were reversed America would arrest this man. Not execute him, true, but they would still have placed him under arrest. So... Calm down people.

He brought his arrest upon himself.
...is this post a test?

If this were some kind of alternate universe where George Orwell wasn't completely wrong, maybe you'd have a point.

But in this universe, you CAN'T get arrested for making a video game in America. What would they be arrested for? There's no law barring video games, and if there were, the Supreme Court would strike it down as unconstitutional. If the makers of that Hezbollah game got arrested, there'd be so many ACLU and ESA lawyers up the District Attorney's ass, it'd make his head spin.

Also, they're not deporting him. Or even revoking his dual citizenship. They want to EXECUTE him.

It's interesting how you talked about how the minds of the collective mass have already been made up when you seem to be talking from conspiracy propaganda rooted in absolutely no reality whatsoever.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
Kuma's games are bloody awful and it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they were being paid by the CIA to churn out anti-Iranian propaganda.

I think there's more to this than an innocent game developer being threatened with execution.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
By "accused of using videogames to spy on Iran", I thought you meant placing Kinects in well-guarded homes or something.

Then again, it's not a surprise that Iranian authorities plan kill a man for American propaganda.

Sarge034

Feb 24, 2011
Danceofmasks said:
Sarge034 said:
So if you want to limit further technological development why are you not in favor of SOPA? There are many who feel it will do just that. And the further loss of money to independent inteties will stagnate our society causing us to loose tech footing and slip backwards into the dark ages. Parish the thought.
What?!
Way to completely fail at comprehending what I said.

This is why I rarely speak to people with inferior intellects.

I want to be prepared to, and will not hesitate to, in the possible eventuality that humans may need to be nuked, be well positioned to press the big red button.
If not me, someone like me.

I'll say it again. If there comes a time when humans should prove that they are willing to doom all life, then nuclear war must happen, in order to save life from humans by causing human extinction.
While I do enjoy getting trolled from time to time I do belive that...

Have a nice day and don't bother to reply. I know I won't.

Bradeck

Sep 5, 2011
I'm sure somehow, somewhere, according to the going breeze on this site, that this whole thing is America's fault, and this guy should be executed, and all Americans should go jump up their own ass. I'm just waiting for someone to come out in defense of Iran's sovereignty, and right to hate video game makers.

Pinkamena

Stuck in a vortex of sexy horses
Jun 27, 2011
I wonder when the world will get tired of Irans bullshit and bomb them back to kingdom come.