Iran Sentences Game Developer To Death

catalyst8

Oct 29, 2008
I was under the impression that, like every other nation on earth which excuses murdering people as 'lawful execution', the US also has an appalling human rights record [http://www.worldbulletin.net/?aType=haber&ArticleID=71326], incarcerates innocent people [http://www.aclu.org/blog/national-security/senate-rejects-amendment-banning-indefinite-detention], tortures them [http://waterboarding.org/node/49], & murders them under the guise of legal execution [http://www.ranker.com/list/8-_allegedly_-innocent-men-who-were-executed/david-jones].

That Hekmati has been arrested, possibly tortured, & faces execution is a disgusting travesty of justice. But to hear the hypocritical complaints about it from people who support a nation which does exactly the same is sickening. If you condemn one you must condemn the other.

MetalGenocide

Dec 2, 2009
The guy was sent in as war bait. Iran isn't exactly happy about it.
The warmongers controlling the US have been waiting for another excuse to start yet another war. And now they have it. Though, the chances of Iran not taking the bait look rather small.

Steampunk Viking

Jan 15, 2010
Well, my flatmate is wrong, we haven't quite got rid of all the insane dictators.

In all seriousness though, this is disgusting.

Ninonybox_v1legacy

Apr 2, 2008
Normally I am the one in the group to defend everyone from prejudiced and be the "love everyone" guy....but someone needs to kick Iran's ass very soon. I can see Anon doing something about this.

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
There's no way this can end well.
Either the poor guy is going to die, or the US will launch a black op or something and international tensions will get worse.

alandavidson

Jun 21, 2010
I wish I could say that I was surprised, or even thought that the guy's life would be spared. But I can't.

Here's to wishing people would join the 21st century and stop living like it's the dark ages.

Tiger Sora

Aug 23, 2008
America and Iran is like water and oil. The don't mix. And someone keeps throwing matches at it. They need to stop doing that.

If you look into it. America isn't a good guy either. They're just more covert about it. *Black bagged*.

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
GreatTeacherCAW said:
vansau said:
GreatTeacherCAW said:
They aren't executing him just because he made video games. If what they say is true, the fact that they are only executing him is kind of getting off light. Like someone above me said, stuff like this used to start wars.

Key phrase there is "if what they say is true." Iran has a history of eliciting false confessions or just making them up. They also refuse to allow the guy to meet with legal counsel via the Swiss embassy, which represents US interests in Iran.
I guess we never will know, will we?
Further muddying the issue is that the word "spy" is being thrown around. America has been very active in that regard, especially in relation to Iran's nuclear interests. Iran has had to deal with super-viruses, being sold faulty equipment for their facilities, and various other forms of sabotage and espionage.

We are quick to acknowledge the horrors of Iran's beahviour, and the likelyhood of a dishonest legal process, but we should also be aware that America has been playing dirty with Iran for a while now. "If what they say is true", than America was probably aware of the consequences of their assets being compromised, and went ahead anyway. In otherwords, America knew what would happen if an alleged spy was caught, and accepted the risk.

I suspect that this might end the way a lot of these things do: with a prisoner trade. Spies get caught in the act on both sides, and they find the easiest way to negotiate out of the situation is to swap prisoners.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
spend enough time in an Iranian prison and they'll get a "confession" out of you...sigh
not that Iran's even bothering to take any steps to try to justify themselves anymore

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Seraj said:
evilthecat said:
The Iranian regime is crazy and increasingly paranoid. Of course they are, they're hated by a large segment of their own population.
Why on earth hasn't there been a revolution there then?

The Iranian government being how it is, I'm sure the international community will jump to the peoples defence.

Although I can see the Iranian government reacting -just- like the Gadaffi regime, if not worse.
There have been several attempts at a revolution in Iran. I think there's been at least three in the last five years or so. But they never get anywhere because the regime's response to them makes what Gadaffi did in Libya look tame, and then the President will just abuse Israel in one of his speeches and everyone forgets what they were even revolting about.

Sovereignty

Jan 25, 2010
Our drone goes down in their yard spying on them... And suddenly this happens?

Seriously connect the dots a bit. They know we have them on our shit list. I'm surprised it took them this long to have something to put on the global stage like this. They want to be sure everyone's eyes are fixed on them. Because so long as that happens we're not gonna do our typical act of, "We just want peace" while we send bombers to destroy their homes.

It's pretty smart, and the fact this ass hat didn't have the common sense to know better... Well I can't fault Iran for anything other than over-reacting.

Seriously, I have a hard time believing this guy wasn't commissioned by the CIA. What other reason would a person have to make video games in Iran?

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
Like hell they could get away with doing that.

And I mean that seriously, he'll probably be pardoned soon.

Seraj

Nov 27, 2010
NinjaDeathSlap said:
There have been several attempts at a revolution in Iran. I think there's been at least three in the last five years or so. But they never get anywhere because the regime's response to them makes what Gadaffi did in Libya look tame, and then the President will just abuse Israel in one of his speeches and everyone forgets what they were even revolting about.

Well, that'll teach me for not reading into the subject before posting :p

Btw, love the Avatar avatar, must get round to watching those again.

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
I'm just throwing this out there and I'm sure I'll take a lot of heat for it but... just because our government is denying that he's a spy doesn't mean he isn't/wasn't one. He is a marine, after all.

I'm not saying is he for sure a spy. I'm just saying... none of us are properly equipped to make that assessment, and the US government denying it is about as convincing as the Iranian government affirming it.

Dual US and Iranian citizen here by the way, for those that might accuse me of some sort of prejudice.

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Seraj said:
evilthecat said:
The Iranian regime is crazy and increasingly paranoid. Of course they are, they're hated by a large segment of their own population.
Why on earth hasn't there been a revolution there then?

The Iranian government being how it is, I'm sure the international community will jump to the peoples defence.

Although I can see the Iranian government reacting -just- like the Gadaffi regime, if not worse.
The quality of life for the average citizen is pretty good in Iran actually. My family mostly just sleeps and eats, and they all had/have regular sorts of jobs. That might have a lot to do with it.

Burs

Jan 28, 2011
ThunderCavalier said:
vansau said:
Hekmati is a former U.S. Marine who became a game developer and was employed with Kuma Reality Games, working on a variety of titles for the studio. However, according to the Tehran Times, Hekmati allegedly confessed that "[Kuma] was receiving money from the CIA to (produce) and design and distribute for free special movies and games with the aim of manipulating public opinion in the Middle East. The goal of the company in question was to convince the people of Iran and the people of the entire world that whatever the U.S. does in other countries is a good measure."
Hard for me to have so much sympathy for the guy, tbh. I know what we're doing is probably for a good cause, and just so I can get this out of the way, I DON'T support this guy getting the ax for doing the thing he was commissioned (and most likely loves) to do.

At the same time, though, he was intentionally misleading the public with propaganda to support a message that is basically going against the government. Just so I can also get this out of the way, I'm ALL FOR getting the message out and enlightening these people, but I'm not exactly inclined to support intentionally misleading propaganda, even if it does have good intentions.

Still, that doesn't mean I DON'T feel sorry for the guy. Sure, he may be attempting to disrupt the government, but the most I'm getting out of it is "The US is not as bad as you guys think the government is saying they are." This is something that would justify an immediate deportation, but execution? That's just sickening, and I still do support everyone here on the Escapist when I say that Iran is just being mean-spirited and cruel in this.

PROPORTIONATE retribution here, Iran. You're not winning any friends here.

Those are the crimes he allegedly confessed to, remember Iran has had a history of making people confess by use of fear and torture (see the 2007 capture of Royal Navy personel).

I personally think that Iran is behaving like a child on the international stage; throwing its teddies out the pram in order to gain attention. and I personally think that Iran should be stripped of any and all trade going into the country, If the government feels like being a douche it can go and sit on the international "naughty step"

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
And why hasn't the rest of the world bombed Iran backed into the stone age where this legal system is yet?

Seraj

Nov 27, 2010
SyphonX said:
What's a nice, quiet country to hang out in?
The U.K isn't as bad as the US in that respect.

Spent 2 months in Canada living with a friend, did not see or hear anyone stressing out over the news.

EDIT: I hope that wasn't a rhetorical question *facepalm*